Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Also known as: TM2TW3: Kitimat Oil Drift

Welcome to another edition of the Alberta AI annual rally thread wherein a bunch of western heehaws get together, build monstrously lovely (but awesome) cars, drive them a long distance just to see if they can, drink beer, and enjoy pancakes by the campfire. Usually this involves getting to the ocean because we live in a landlocked prairie hell and we only need the flimsiest of excuses to get out of the dreaded near-desert of Palliser's Triangle.

2016 was The Original Transmountain to Tidewater Rally, intended as a bachelor party for McTinkerson who is now happily married to a lovely lady and her rad Porsche Maccan.

2017 was a smaller affair due to multiple personal hardships and unexpected expenses but was still a rad fuckin time. 2 Transmountain 2 Tidewater which was neither trans-mountain nor anywhere near tidewater, but it did involve an absolute boat of a car doing donuts in a gravel pit. Plus a turbo mustang!

2018 is getting back to our roots. This time it's my bachelor party, and I intend to make drat good use of this time. This one is gonna be fun.

Who?
Slung Blade and Seat Safety Switch - Current Ride: UNDETERMINED (maybe the lincoln from last year, maybe a ratty 500 dollar civic Switch has had rusting on his driveway for 5 years, maybe something totally new!)
McTinkerson - Current ride: RX8
NumbersMatching320 - Current ride: a BMW 320 for some reason.
All are welcome, please contact me if you are interested Alberta (or hell even Saskatchewan or BC AI friends)

What?
It's a Shitbox™® road rally where vehicles can cost whatever you like, but ideally don't spend too much more than $1000 CAD. Run what you brung, but make it safe(ish), and try to make it fun.

When?
June 9-15, 2018 is the provisional date.

Where?
In an attempt to live up to the name of the original rally, this time we will be headed to Kitimat BC, the terminus of the (in)famous and controversial Transmountain Pipeline. We shall drive from the Calgary area out to the national parks system, and head north along the beautiful Columbia Icefields Highway, where our cars will be targeted by the environmental police while we dodge German tourists who stop traffic so they can take some pictures of loving mountain sheep.

Why?
Because:

poo poo man, all that beer isn't going to drink itself.

The Rules
We've done rules in the past, and it never ends well. Let's leave it at that.

Scoring
Points are awarded arbitrarily by group consensus. Style like this is always a plus though:

mmmm

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Previously on Trans Mountain To Tide Water:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

:perfect:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
That delta wing owns.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Shrugs Not Drugs - Current ride: UNDETERMINED

Not sure who that Shrugs guy is (he sounds like a jerk) but I'll be running my account's namesake. The Bavarian Murder Weapon/Rapp's Folly/The Green Bin.

For those of you who missed my posts in 8 different threads plus Slack, it's a $600 1977 320i which appears to have been assembled from at least 2 different cars. It's got at least the head and intake off an '81 M10B18, it may be a 1.8 or a 2.0, who knows. 4 speed manual with dogleg 1st, it has the '77-only vented front discs but it also has the '81+ rear suspension, the entire electrical system has been scotchlok'd and twist-n-taped together out of a pile of work hardened, green-death-sick 40 year old wire and quite a bit of it has been on fire or at least very melty and charred, the rocker panels were made entirely of the factory undercoating which was tough enough to simulate steel while poking it with a screwdriver in the -37c I did my pre-purchase inspection in but has since mostly fallen off (the subframes and strut towers are still okay, I will be making subframe connectors to get the floor back to the point of providing adequate structure), the CIS Injection system was horribly hamfucked, it hasn't been registered since Gerhard Schröder was Chancellor and it's got a bunch of Volkswagen parts in various places.

After performing some dark rituals and sacrificing a few animals and a Solex to Satan, this happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XYQNan1e7w

I broke the focus on my phone camera so pictures are going to be sparse from the above point on. I'm working on getting my tractor blower fan mounted and the wiper transmission secured at the moment, which is pretty boring. The rest of the electrical is next, and should be fun.

Unfortunately, I will be running solo this year as Mr. Mustang is simply unable to get more than about four days in a row off work, his employer's PTO policies are less than spectacular.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 8, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
You guys have all the fun.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I can indeed confirm I will be running the RX-8 in the "exhibition" class.

I simply do not have the time or room to build another poo poo box when said effort of funding could be spent on major brappage.

So I'll be putting that thousand into making the RX-8 channel the spirit of Sweet Chili Heat.

Edit: I've been meaning to post a thread on the various vehicle of the fleet and their slow project progression.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 9, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm really envious, again. Hope you all have fun.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Also, as subtly noted, congrats on your engagement Slung Blade! Hopefully they know what they're getting into. :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Liquid Communism posted:

Also, as subtly noted, congrats on your engagement Slung Blade! Hopefully they know what they're getting into. :v:

Thank you :unsmith: She does, we've known each other for 6 years now. I still sometimes surprise her with the crazy poo poo I get up to though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Thank you :unsmith: She does, we've known each other for 6 years now. I still sometimes surprise her with the crazy poo poo I get up to though.

She freaked out a lot when we shot that Altima.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slung Blade posted:

Can't let em get comfortable.

I've known my wife for going on 16 years, been married for just under 10. Still gotta surprise em now and then, just so they don't get bored.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Parts are slowly rolling in for the 8, cat delete pipe showed up and the differential mount bushings are in transit. I'm now actively hunting Japanese auctions for the JDM factory Minidisc head unit.

Edit: Bushings are here and I just won a Yahoo Japan auction for a miniDisc unit.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 14, 2018

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Switch and I did some work on his Civic today.

Changed the belts.

Broke the power steering belt tensioner bolt while doing so. Because of course I did.

But I got the fucker out.

Pretty precise drill job too, if I do say so myself.

And replaced it with an imperial threaded bolt and dual lock-nut setup to make it more chevrolet friendly.

We also did an oil change (it uses the same filters as my accent!), replaced the hatch glass' gas strut balls, and decided against replacing the inner/outer tie rods (too hard of a job for a weekend) and the rear toe arms (due to rust and captive nuts, and because they're probably fine).

Switch decided on the ride over that we should probably not run the civic, it shakes too much and hurts his back. My back hurt just looking at the car so I am ok with this.

Hail damaged 500$ civic: DISQUALIFIED

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Keilrippenriemen

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

As always, this sounds fun and awesome.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

RX-8 is slowly channeling SCH. Cat delete pipe is in, so flames are now guaranteed. The day before the rally, when I drive down to join everyone else, we'll make sure to unbolt the pipe and run it open header for a little bit.
Or if I find one of these for stupid cheap, I am willing to install it for the rally: https://www.croooober.com/en/item/8204744

In regards to the route, I have been in Terrace, BC for a couple days back in 2011 and that area is the poo poo for fun roads.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tractor blower installed. This took an embarrassing amount of time to finish actually, but it was still the simplest/cheapest/easiest solution available short of hogging a bunch of metal out and putting a single cage blower in it.

So the shifter is so goddamn sloppy it feels like there's an extra gate in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH0M-Bert9w
Drop driveshaft, there's 3 joints in the linkage. 2 10mm horizontal pins, one 6mm vertical. Most of the play is in the horizontal pins, but the vertical one is visibly hosed to the point where its bores are closer to 1/4". So, I drilled all its holes the rest of the way up and stuck a 1/4" gr8 bolt in there.

And the 10mm links got some gently caress me I had some legit shim stock but I haven't seen it in like 5 years pop can shims:

The rear link to the bottom of the stick was way worse than the forward one, the latter being a perfect fit after a single wrap and the former still having some play after 2.5 wraps (once you get to 1.5 wraps it gets really loving difficult to put together without wrecking the shim, since it's got so much more drag than compressive strength)
Result: no more phantom gate, and that sweet, sweet Getrag shifter feel is mostly back. Still a little sloppy but whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDwKzwo3A3s

And a new giubo went in because even a URO Part is better than one that's visibly putting all of its insides outside.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 17, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The race E12 team that I helped had their shift turret self-dismantle a few times and finally did a pole vault at the end of a long straight when their giubo exploded, so these are good reliability mods for track use.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well gents, switch and I just purchased our sled for this ride.

I need to do some due diligence and paperwork, but we are technically owners of a 2004 acura tsx. Which is red and a six speed and has a fuckload of kilometers.

I'll post pictures of the rust and such once we have the keys.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Big time AI lurker here. Cannot wait to witness these shenanigans. I am in BC and would love to help if anything from Vancouver is needed! I make decals as a way to purchase all my Vancouver real estate so if this rally comes up with a design I could hook you lot up with some official colourful sticky things for sticking on things.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

^buy a shitbox and join us?

I decided last night I'm going to replace the old corroded lovely ceramic VW fuses with new (horrifyingly overpriced) lovely ceramic VW fuses, replace the poo poo switches and replace the scotchlok'd burned out bodge wires with adequately sized and properly spliced bodge wires. I'd love to fix it properly but there's just not enough time for a major harness overhaul/fusebox replacement, at least without hamfucking it worse than it already is. I'll bring a big fire extinguisher and put a killswitch in it to mitigate any further :piss:.
It does seem to be behaving much better with new fuses in there and the fuel pump on its own dedicated circuit, at least.

Anybody got a good trick for cleaning out crusty old 1156 sockets?

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 20, 2018

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

shipwrek posted:

Big time AI lurker here. Cannot wait to witness these shenanigans. I am in BC and would love to help if anything from Vancouver is needed! I make decals as a way to purchase all my Vancouver real estate so if this rally comes up with a design I could hook you lot up with some official colourful sticky things for sticking on things.

NumbersMatching320 posted:

^buy a shitbox and join us?

Yeah seriously, if you can swing it, why don't you meet us in Kitimat and drive back to the Alberta border with us? Or you can continue on to my place or Red Deer, wherever we end up. We'd be glad to have another person / team along for the ride :unsmith:

As I said the other day, Switch and I picked up our sled for this hayride. I present to you: Downgraded to Venture, The TSX

It's a 2004 Acura TSX

The body is pretty good from afar, but far from good as they say.

Someone backed into it in it's lifetime.

The fogs are basically non-existent.

The driver side wheels wells have some issues.

I mean, it's honestly not that bad.

The clearcoat on the trunklid is kinda bad. Couple rust spots.

But the interior is actually pretty nice.

The dude who sold it to us cleaned it out, but then he put like 5 of those orange creamsicle little trees air "fresheners" in it so it smells like the tropicana train ejaculated all over the inside of it.

I've got it sitting inside the workshop with all the windows and sunroof open to air out some of the orange stank.

But the engine is niiiice.

It's got some bullshit mods, like HIDs and an aftermarket intake, but the clutch is strong, the brakes seem pretty decent, and the six speed manual transmission shifts smoothly and crisply.

It seems to run really well, and it's had a recent oil change and service so I think we just need to shake it down and see what rattles loose.

:siren: things to do :siren:
I've ordered replacement solid hex lugnuts because jesus christ I hate those fluted cylinder ones that you need a keyed socket for.
It needs a detail from a pro to clean up whatever gunk got left over and whatever the little trees were covering up (I couldn't smell anything under it but that doesn't mean much).
New windshield / wipers.
Maybe summer tires / wheels?
Wirewheel off the rust, bondo fix and spray bomb repaint. <-- a fun learning experience for all!
New front clip perhaps, Acura wings and logo as well.
Repair or replace the fogs.
Unfuck / replace the HIDs (note the random floating relay in the top left of the engine bay image).
Probably a serpentine belt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Slung, you need to get a gallon of plasti-dip in some obnoxious color and do that whole thing.

I'm always partial to roadcone orange.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Liquid Communism posted:

Slung, you need to get a gallon of plasti-dip in some obnoxious color and do that whole thing.

That or vinyl wrap it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Liquid Communism posted:

That would certainly fit the scent.

Notes from highway driving:
Vibration in steering wheel at highway speeds, probable tire balance issue.
Fifth gear pops out on high Accel/Deccel, possibly the motor or tranny mounts.
Driver's seat shifts slightly under accel/deccel, need to check and tighten chair rail mount bolts.

I'm getting concerned that there's something seriously wrong with it, but I have no idea what it might be. It seems way too nice for the $2300 we paid for it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Check the service records, has it ever been to a Firestone in Seattle?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

It seems way too nice for the $2300 we paid for it.

So, is this year's event completely ignorning the previous points system and cost restrictions?

Are you planning on flipping it after the event? If no, my vote is for dayglow orange / fire-engine-red zebra stripes. Put the DAZZLE back into dazzle camo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

So, is this year's event completely ignorning the previous points system and cost restrictions?
Yes, but also the Town Car last year was so far under budget that we can probably amortize the cost.

ExecuDork posted:

Are you planning on flipping it after the event? If no, my vote is for dayglow orange / fire-engine-red zebra stripes. Put the DAZZLE back into dazzle camo.
I'm really tempted to take it as a rattier daily driver and get rid of the '92 Civic for it. Not sure I want dazzle camo on that, but we'll see how bad the rust actually is.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

drat that tsx looks good. They're tanks engine wise iirc and comfy inside.

Address the cosmetic issues and it's a down right respectable daily.

For the price, maybe it's a salvage title?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

Slung Blade posted:

The Rules
We've done rules in the past, and it never ends well. Let's leave it at that.

Switch and I way over spent on the Celica, and as he said we way underspent on the Lincoln. It's really hard to put a price on your own labour for this kind of thing though, and I dumped a ton of that in both previous cars.

I'm not worried about an arbitrary price point, this is just for fun.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah seriously, if you can swing it, why don't you meet us in Kitimat and drive back to the Alberta border with us? Or you can continue on to my place or Red Deer, wherever we end up. We'd be glad to have another person / team along for the ride :unsmith:

I'd love to but there's a snowballs chance in hell that I can get the free time. Busy with Vancouvers fav hobby of condo shopping :shepicide: However I will keep track of your progress and if there is any way I can swing it I'll make my way up north. Car looks good! Too good. In fact its probably better than 80% of the cars I've ever owned. Could it be the random Roadkill curse(?) of actually finding a vehicle that basically just works against all odds?? :iiam:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

I'm not worried about an arbitrary price point, this is just for fun.

Woops, missed reading that on the first page. Sorry.

That's awesome, and that TSX looks great. The amount and placement of rust reminds me of my 3rd-gen Prelude, it eventually succumbed to the rust monster but I got a very good 2 years out of it and I did nothing about the rust.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

We should try and get a Corroseal sponsorship. Did Acura ever campaign the car in a touring car series? Ape one of the liveries?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You might have jumped the gun, there's a mystery mileage 99 740i at Michener tomorrow and they've declared a steering shimmy over 90kph, and it's the 4th car being sold, it'll probably go for nothing.

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYYC_Detail?Link=20/4/2018%5E47ae853c3a974856ad8f3170fd1f53b8

I wish i had the money to join you guys. that would probably be my chariot.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

McTinkerson posted:

We should try and get a Corroseal sponsorship. Did Acura ever campaign the car in a touring car series? Ape one of the liveries?

I've seen Spoon liveries on TSXes. poo poo, you could do that with colored duct tape.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

It's already got the red, a lot of the places in need of painting would go white.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This is a good plan. That is a good looking car.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Last night I was driving home and stopped behind a school bus dropping of some kids.

After, I accelerate, first gear up to about 20/30kph, shift into second, clutch release, wheels lock up, skid to a stop, smoke emerges from hood, stinks of clutch.

gently caress.

Ok, car can't drive, can place in gear (or at least I can row through the gates), but I can't release the clutch- I can hear and feel the motor loading up when I do, but the car will not move. Can't release clutch in neutral either with the same problem. Like it's stuck in two gears simultaneously.

I can push in neutral with the car off, engine spins when I do so, get a gross sounding clicking when I do.

Current slack based consensus is transmission gear forks broken or out of place, but I'm happy to entertain other ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That sort of sounds like a seized pilot bearing...which is a bitch to replace.

• Locked thread