Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I think I've gotten England into a punching bag position. They lost a lot of fleet in their war against Denmark, and only had like 15k army when I went in with my 24k (also have 2 Irish vassals hanging around with 3-4k each, they like to run around and hoover up provinces while I hunt the doomstack). After that war I did the transfer income and trade power (it was great having like +15 ducats after advisers), attacked again as soon as the timer was up and now I've got almost all of Scotland and started on Wales and England is no longer the number 1 in their trade node. I think they might be heavily in debt, and the last war they had only like 4 ships.

On the mainland I think I'm going to hang onto my alliance with France for dear life, me dragging them into wars with England has led to them taking about half of the Iberian peninsula. I think I've had a pretty bad string of rulers, I'm noticing myself slightly behind on tech while others are also ahead on ideas.

Mechanics question, whats the best use of merchants once you're pushing trade towards your main node (and maybe also collecting from main node)? North Sea only has 1 feed and its like 600 range away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

I think I've gotten England into a punching bag position. They lost a lot of fleet in their war against Denmark, and only had like 15k army when I went in with my 24k (also have 2 Irish vassals hanging around with 3-4k each, they like to run around and hoover up provinces while I hunt the doomstack). After that war I did the transfer income and trade power (it was great having like +15 ducats after advisers), attacked again as soon as the timer was up and now I've got almost all of Scotland and started on Wales and England is no longer the number 1 in their trade node. I think they might be heavily in debt, and the last war they had only like 4 ships.

On the mainland I think I'm going to hang onto my alliance with France for dear life, me dragging them into wars with England has led to them taking about half of the Iberian peninsula. I think I've had a pretty bad string of rulers, I'm noticing myself slightly behind on tech while others are also ahead on ideas.

Mechanics question, whats the best use of merchants once you're pushing trade towards your main node (and maybe also collecting from main node)? North Sea only has 1 feed and its like 600 range away.

You want to take provinces over income and trade power 99% of the time unless it will cause a coalition against you

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well I took 3 provinces in the first war, but that let me finish an Irish specific mission that unlocked permanent claims on Scotland and Wales (also grabbed the center of trade node in Scotland from them). So my second war I took 7 provinces, which was just around 40 AE. I've got another 4 permanent claims, after that I'll get permanent claims on about half of England's remaining provinces, and after those permanent claims on the remainder.

I was figuring the saving of having to fabricate claims (or to pay extra for non-claimed cores) was worth it. I think I need to work on exploiting estates more, there seems to be some decent stuff in there (5 free heavies was pretty nice).

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Keep in mind that the AI gives insane buffs to Great powers your crush, so they can spring back very easily unless other AI nations swarm in and finish them off (which is never the case with England).

I remember dropping russian manpower to 0, carving all of their prime real estate and taking thousands of ducats in two separate 100% wars, and before the last truce was over they already had both full manpower AND plenty of big-stack armies.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Good to know, luckily England is out of the great powers (not in the list that I can see). It is a bit weird to see some of the AIs so far over force limit (Burdgany is at 28/13 naval for example). Are their economies just way stronger or is it likely they're eating debt to maintain that?

Also staying Catholic seems decent for Ireland, I'm up to 4 cardinals and get some nice bonuses for converting all these English Angelicans back to Catholic.

edit: I was worried about England's new alliances, but a giant gently caress-off war just kicked off in the mainland, like 20v15 with like Ottomans, Denmark, Russia, and France all in it.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 19, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Going over the navy limit doesn't really do a whole lot. I always end up at like 200/90 or somethin

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So question about aggressive expansion. Do I only need to worry about the nations listed in the "These countries might form a coalition against you" section? For example, the only person listed is England because I keep kicking them when they're down as often as I can and everyone else is far enough away that I don't think I get that much AE against them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

four countries need to hit 50 ae before a coalition will form, and none of them can have truces with you. so just england is fine

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

oddium posted:

four countries need to hit 50 ae before a coalition will form, and none of them can have truces with you. so just england is fine

Excellent. Is it a dick move that I took a peace (with less provinces) instead of letting warscore tick up (England has some allies on the mainland that can't come help) after a stack of rebels spawned?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Keep in mind that the AI gives insane buffs to Great powers your crush, so they can spring back very easily unless other AI nations swarm in and finish them off (which is never the case with England).

I remember dropping russian manpower to 0, carving all of their prime real estate and taking thousands of ducats in two separate 100% wars, and before the last truce was over they already had both full manpower AND plenty of big-stack armies.

Are you talking about something other than revanchism/lucky? I’ve never heard of an AI specific bounce back bonus

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If you're at >1000 manpower gain per month it's pretty easy to recover from 0 manpower. I assume that's what was happening to Russia.

Plus now you can tank your professionalism for mens.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Anything I should know about attacking Ming? (specifically, Ming's Tributary Tondo -- I want the Philippines for myself) I'm ahead of them in tech but I'm not sure I can actually make a stand against them on the continent. I'm thinking I can win at sea with superior tech and just eat up Tondo. I'm not sure I can get Ming to peace out, though. They have so much manpower and it would be difficult to get my armies from Europe to Asia (I'm Spain). I'm fairly comfortable with my position in Europe, though -- France and Provence are my buds and we are tight there.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Anything I should know about attacking Ming?

it's not worth it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

JerikTelorian posted:

Anything I should know about attacking Ming? (specifically, Ming's Tributary Tondo -- I want the Philippines for myself) I'm ahead of them in tech but I'm not sure I can actually make a stand against them on the continent. I'm thinking I can win at sea with superior tech and just eat up Tondo. I'm not sure I can get Ming to peace out, though. They have so much manpower and it would be difficult to get my armies from Europe to Asia (I'm Spain). I'm fairly comfortable with my position in Europe, though -- France and Provence are my buds and we are tight there.

If you can prevent Ming from gaining much warscore against you, you can just wait them out and eventually they'll white peace and you can have your 100% warscore way with Tondo

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

JerikTelorian posted:

Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Keep it naval and wait until length of war lets you white peace them.

Alternatively, change the one "yes" in the tributary vassal file into a "no" and enjoy a much nicer, less obnoxious game.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

When I was GB, I was attacking Gujarat, who was Ming's tributary. After maybe a year I offered some territory I already had in India to Gujarat as a separate peace with Ming; they accepted. I then finished the war with Gujarat alone, took back what I gave away in the Ming peace treaty and the rest of the stuff I wanted.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Okay so I might give it a try but keep a save as a backup and if it looks bad just savedit or something.

I thought Ming was supposed to catastrophically implode? I guess Mandate of Heaven fixed that?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

JerikTelorian posted:

Okay so I might give it a try but keep a save as a backup and if it looks bad just savedit or something.

I thought Ming was supposed to catastrophically implode? I guess Mandate of Heaven fixed that?

"fixed"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the emperor of heaven will reign for 10 000 years

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

JerikTelorian posted:

Yes, now instead of invariably blowing up within 50 years and never being reunited, Ming almost never blows up and never loses the mandate unless you make it happen yourself, even if you bully them incessantly. It’s pretty lame.

However, if Ming can’t get a land route to whatever tributary they’re beating up they are really no trouble for a colonial power. Their infinite fountain of mercs is not going to do anything if they can never land them anywhere it makes a difference. Keep their coastlines as locked down as you can and watch for stray red dots on the minimap and you’ll beat them easily without ever needing to invade China proper.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They sometimes get wrecked by eventually losing tributaries to the outside world (and then pulled into a war that their < 50 mandate screws them over) but more often Ming stays irritatingly stable and immovable. My latest game had them start shedding due to the influences of Russia and Korea and possibly Japan, and then Russia started attacking one of the Hordes and just walked all over them.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 20, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

So question about aggressive expansion. Do I only need to worry about the nations listed in the "These countries might form a coalition against you" section? For example, the only person listed is England because I keep kicking them when they're down as often as I can and everyone else is far enough away that I don't think I get that much AE against them.

Also, if you raise their relations high enough in order to ensure they won't reach the negatives after the AE hit, they won't join a coalition. A lot of AE management is juggling diplomats to make everyone like you more.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Started up a new game to check out the Ottoman missions. Eastern Europe got a little weird, and mostly without my influence.

I had no idea Danzig was even a tag.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Naw, Ming still sometimes explodes. Or sometimes it even partly explodes - like in my current game. Several splinter states sprung up but the wealthy North China Plain was still controlled by the Ming and they just turned the rival dynasties into new tributaries :downs:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

My Genoa game descended into a death spiral when I foolishly got into a war against Mamluks. I sank their fleets, blockaded their ports, and they just walked to Crimea, took all my poo poo there, walked to Italy, took all my poo poo there, and that was that. "Just walk there lol" should probably be nerfed a bit as a military logistics approach

e: I mean I get that historical attrition rates would be unfun but if nothing else even a friendly army is a walking biological weapon / public order catastrophe back then, so military access should be a lot harder to get

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 21, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

It is sort of deceptive to a new player how impactful a strong ruler is. I put my Ireland game on hold (wanted to do some colonizing but I'm super far behind the curve really, and France is getting to scary big levels) and started a Korea game. Having a 6-5-5 ruler at start makes me feel like monarch points are filling up a scrooge mcduck pool. Like enough that I'm able to spend points while waiting for "ahead of time" penalty on tech to tick down some.

In a related question, do you guys try to delay taking tech to reap MP discounts, or try for innovativeness?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I usually try to aim for buying a tech level on the day it stops being ahead of time. For military techs I might buy them earlier if I'm preparing for a tough war and need an advantage, and for admin and diplo I might delay them if it's just some trash level that only gives +2% production/trade efficiency. Whatever you do, never fall behind on mil tech.

Innovativeness is absolutely not worth buying a tech ahead of time, especially since some AI country somewhere in the world will buy it like 5-6 years ahead. Even if you have the MP on hand to beat them to it, that's 300 MP down the drain and all you get from it is a 0.2% MP cost reduction. You'd have to spend 150,000 MP just to break even. To put that in perspective, if you had an immortal 6/6/6 ruler and level 5 advisers for the entire game, you would generate about 190,000.

Innovativeness would be a lot better if you didn't have to be literally the first country in the entire world to buy a tech.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

having a 6 mil ruler is a huge advantage in the early game because you can hit the mil techs faster, which will let you get some early steamrolls going

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

oddium posted:

having a 6 mil ruler is a huge advantage in the early game because you can hit the mil techs faster, which will let you get some early steamrolls going

Yeah Ethiopia is secretly a pretty easy start because you can use your young god monarch to get you all the East African gold and then you win the game by virtue of having infinite money.

Also relatively quick access to India and the ability to make trade companies there.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Fister Roboto posted:

Started up a new game to check out the Ottoman missions. Eastern Europe got a little weird, and mostly without my influence.

I had no idea Danzig was even a tag.

Yeah that happened in my Russia game when Poland ate a coalition war right out of the gate. Other weird poo poo included the Ottomans completely imploding, a resurgent Byzantium like 20 years into the game and Morocco forming Al-Andalus (and then getting mauled by Aragon, who ate Castille). Of course now Ming is full quantity and ugggh I really don't want to bother with that bullshit.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I've got my building cost down to 65 ducats for temples/workshops as Korea at like 1480, I'm just dropping those constantly (2/year approx) as there are a lot of places that are giving me +.1 or better. After getting up to around 20 I'm finally done with my +.1 or better options.

edit: exploring is coming in handy, as I've gotten a few really bad heir rolls and Ming keeps giving me chunks of prestige in exchange for maps.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lOqxSa-oLY

I was interested in starting my next game as Austria to play around with the HRE mechanics, but after watching this I want to play Austria so I can form a crazy fully automated doom army to gently caress around with.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
this would make a cool custom new world

https://twitter.com/onlmaps/status/987810737778147328

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

AE management can make or break your game.

If the only country listed as wanting to join the Coalition is the one you are at war with, no sweat. Countries can't coalition you while having a truce with you, so you'll have some 5+ years until that becomes a concern.

As others said, countries that have a positive opion of you also don't join coalistions, so during the war make sure to have a diplomat working on key countries you want to keep neutral. If the listed coalitioon countries are also engaged ina big hellwar (Ottomans or League War), you can also be a bit bolder in how much you take.

And of course, keep an eye out for neighbors being excomunicated. Taking land from tjhem is REALLY cheap, AE wise. Likewise, be sure to cultivate some good relations with the Pope, so you don't get excomunicated and strong neighbors declared open season on you.

For european play, conquering into the HRE if you are not a member gives a TON of AE, which is a big issue. That can be dealt with by taking the Influence ideas, by capturing a HRE vassal and feeding him most of your captured provinces, or by having a massively powerful ally to back up your greed (France+Ottomans is a classic one).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The real life western interior seaway would be a neat random new world. South America looks pretty interesting at those high sea level periods too.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m in the late 18th century now in two parallel games in the new patch, one as England and one as Spain.

England game was very smooth. Made buddies with Castile, neutered France early and then just did the usual double colonisation into US east coast and down to snag the Cape. Once established in Asia I took the missions to nab Bengal and after beating Ming in a couple of fights in India, gradually expanded west from there. It’s scary how fast you can conquer India with the late game CoBs.

Things I still want to know from that game:
* How do you decide where to send trade fleets? I can never work out the actual maths and it doesn’t seem to correspond to the ducats shown on the protect trade pop up.
* related: how do you get enough sailors for a big merchant fleet? Once I had 60+ tradeships deployed, they ate up all my sailors even with the +sailors building in every British, Irish and French coastal province.

Spain game was a bit tougher at first due to rebellions etc and my second ruler being 0/0/0, but ended up better overall due to early PU with Aragon and Naples. I colonised the entire African coast plus half of S America and all of Mexico. Portugal was a wonderful punching bag that I hit every 5-7 years or so to steal all their colonies. End game boss is the Ottomans. I allied with mega-Austria (which owns all of Netherlands plus 2/3 of HRE now).

Only question from that game: how do you get enough admin and diplo points for an early colonisation / can you game getting the Columbus event?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

capturing a HRE vassal and feeding him most of your captured provinces,
Won't they just return land when the emperor starts stomping his foot and demanding that they do?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
They'll only return the first one, afterward there's a faint 'i already returned one, fucker' malus. Alternately just stay at war until they core it.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Poil posted:

Won't they just return land when the emperor starts stomping his foot and demanding that they do?

IIRC you get this demand since you're their overlord and you can tell the emperor where to shove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ro5s posted:

IIRC you get this demand since you're their overlord and you can tell the emperor where to shove it.

No, it’s

reignonyourparade posted:

They'll only return the first one, afterward there's a faint 'i already returned one, fucker' malus. Alternately just stay at war until they core it.

This.