Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Idk about all four but Mother 3 alone changed the course of my life because knocked me straight out of my edgy teen phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Accordion Man posted:

Doom 3 instead of Doom 64? Get out of here.

I know I hosed that one up :doh:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
formative games: GoldenEye, Diablo 1, Super Mario 64, NBA Jam

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shadow won't stop picking up and putting down Robotnik's baby

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

raditts posted:

Kinda hosed up seeing people cite Super Mario World / Mario 64 as their first games, I don't want to be this old.

My actual first was Freddi Fish if that helps, Mario 64 is just my first game that I can actually remember playing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will admit, that it just sounds really weird to hear people talking about the N64 as the Nostalgia console of choice for 20-somethings.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I did the formative game thing on Twitter and it's way too hard. Like I don't think any of these would even be in my top ten favorite games but still

https://twitter.com/axleblazeSA/status/986859310360748033
(first game I beat, first game where I really got into the story, game I spent the most time playing, game that made me feel that maybe I wasn't awful at video games).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The N64 is a good console to have nostalgia for because it ruled

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

My first systems were from the PS2/GC/Xbox gen, so

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For me the Super Nintendo is the archetypal image of games. The NES is legible to me but a little quaint and old-looking. If I were a kid in the Atari 2600 era I probably would not have gotten into video games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though I'm in a weird space where the GBA was my first or second system and it had a ton of SNES ports or SNES-esque games.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I have never played a video game and I never will

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My first video game console was the Game Boy Pocket and it ruled because it was blue and fit in my pocket and I had Kirby's Dream Land 2.

I know now we're in the worst version of all possible worlds because I've since lost that copy of Kirby's Dream Land 2.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Olive! posted:

I have never played a video game and I never will

Good. Don't start. It is a dark road filled with peril.

Raxivace posted:

My first video game console was the Game Boy Pocket and it ruled because it was blue and fit in my pocket and I had Kirby's Dream Land 2.

I know now we're in the worst version of all possible worlds because I've since lost that copy of Kirby's Dream Land 2.

It's ok. I have it! :twisted:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cousins, age 12: Stop playing this Mischief Makers garbage and put in Goldeneye or Star Fox god!

Cousins, age 30: Long time no see! Do you still have that cool game that went "shake shake"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As a kid I traded my copy of Mario Kart for my friend's Mischief Makers. A very good deal imo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

As a kid I traded my copy of Mario Kart for my friend's Mischief Makers. A very good deal imo

Did you at least play Mario Kart with the friend regularly?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I died in 110 minutes into the last level of Resident Evil Outbreak and I don't have the will to try again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

is it possible to play outbreak online still, with like private servers or something

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes but only with Japanese copies. You can apply a translation patch to a JP iso, which is what people do if they wanna play online. Offline is playable but your AI partners are stone cold stupid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On a Whim I bought Streets of Red because I'm a sucker for arcade style beat em and it's pretty okay. It doesn't play as tight as I would have liked and since if the mechanics are more annoying than anything, but it's generally pretty fun and all the characters play almost completely differently, which is rare for the genre.

It is very "wink wink nudge game references" and these range from being pretty clever to being unbearable to having an actual cameo from Jim Sterling as a boss

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Formative games:
Final Fantasy
Fallout
Metal Gear Solid
Judge Dredd pinball table

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

Judge Dredd pinball table

AIDS is real

protect yourself

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

raditts posted:

Good God damnit how many forms does this final boss in Robobot True Arena have

I was like "finally it's over!" after the third form with a sliver of health but nope, another loving boss with another loving health bar

Kirby games aren't that easy in the post game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A lot of the modern Kirby bosses would be really difficult if they had more HP and didn't attack in set patterns. Some of their moves are really tricky but since they have almost no variation on when they use them you will learn when to dodge them really easily.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just got Knack II in the mail :woop:

I am honestly considering starting this instead of continuing with Yakuza 6 tonight

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

God drat it's going to be hard to unseat Monster Hunter World as GOTY. Maybe Bayonetta 3 could do it of it even comes out this year.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just got Knack II in the mail :woop:

I am honestly considering starting this instead of continuing with Yakuza 6 tonight

Its hosed up that this meme has progressed to the point that people think they should actually be buying and playing Knack.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

God drat it's going to be hard to unseat Monster Hunter World as GOTY. Maybe Bayonetta 3 could do it of it even comes out this year.
until the bayonetta x monster hunter crossover event

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Link to the Past
Wonderboy in Monster World
Super Metroid
Contra 3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually gently caress that, my real formative games were:

Moon Patrol on the Atari 2600
The Ocean licensed Robocop game
Fantasy Land Dizzy
James Pond: Robocod

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/987002977394274304?s=20
:lol:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So I'm guessing CoD's stab at Battle Royale will be in 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I'm guessing CoD's stab at Battle Royale will be in 2021
nah, the rumor is that raven is developing a battle royale mode for bo4 in lieu of a campaign

the new battlefield game is rumored to also have a br mode lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Going to stick with CoD: WWII, that is the best CoD in years and I like the World War II setting.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

I saw a GOTY discussion where not a single person said Monster Hunter. It was hosed up honestly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Internet Kraken posted:

A lot of the modern Kirby bosses would be really difficult if they had more HP and didn't attack in set patterns. Some of their moves are really tricky but since they have almost no variation on when they use them you will learn when to dodge them really easily.

I can get through pretty much every boss up to the last with full health, that last one just wears me down by attrition because it's such a loving drawn out slog after 20 minutes of stomping through the 11 other bosses to get there (it helps that ESP is hilariously broken). I think I could've beaten it this last time, except my finger slipped and hit the button to use my reserve health item when my health was still almost full. smdh at games in the 2010s that don't have custom button configs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually gently caress that, my real formative games were:

Moon Patrol on the Atari 2600
The Ocean licensed Robocop game
Fantasy Land Dizzy
James Pond: Robocod

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If Pokemon comes out on Switch this year, it will be game of the year. Otherwise Red Dead Redemption 2.

• Locked thread