Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Chopstix posted:

I've heard so much about this game, lack of content, it is fun, it isn't fun. How is the game playing with goons (do a substantial amount still play?) and is it worth getting?
Try the gamepass trial thing for free and see if you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Chopstix posted:

I've heard so much about this game, lack of content, it is fun, it isn't fun. How is the game playing with goons (do a substantial amount still play?) and is it worth getting?

It doesn't have a whole lot of defined content, you're expected to make your own "content" in the form of PvP. The people not having fun are almost entirely people insisting upon playing solo in a cooperative/competitive game. If you're looking for a game to get together with a few pals and unwind without really having any expectations from the game, this is a good choice. If you're looking for a rigid, structured experience with a deep plot and meaningful interactions, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Uh why didnt you just start with this

In "normal" bounties three or four people can easily handle the skeletons with the exception of the gold waves where we use cannons.

Long story short is that generally don't like using the cannonballs on skeletons to save ourselves like 30 seconds when we may need them to sink some pubbie shortly after.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Try the gamepass trial thing for free and see if you like it.

Also this is the correct answer. Get game pass trial, join discord, get on goon ship, kill pubbies.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Kitchner posted:

In "normal" bounties three or four people can easily handle the skeletons with the exception of the gold waves where we use cannons.

Long story short is that generally don't like using the cannonballs on skeletons to save ourselves like 30 seconds when we may need them to sink some pubbie shortly after.
But bro you gotta use naval shore bombardment to support the amphibious assault team

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chopstix posted:

If you’re the kind of person that enjoys games for their moment-to-moment gameplay such as queuing up for that next round of Counter Strike or League of Legends, I would say that is where Sea of Thieves succeeds. It is not a progression heavy game despite it being both open world and semi-fantasy in setting, which is where I think it throws a lot of people off who see those things and go “why isn’t this the perfect pirate MMO!?!?” and then rage about “content” in YouTube comments. The fun really is in the incredible PvP ship battles and ganking/griefing screeching XBox 10 year olds. That’s the long and short of it for right now until Rare fleshes out the game more (which they’ve committed to doing over the coming months/year.)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

But bro you gotta use naval shore bombardment to support the amphibious assault team

The lives of my crew mates mean less to me than cannonballs

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Conned a friend into buying this, took him out on his first voyage. I think in total we made about 500 bucks, but we sank a galleon and a sloop, so at least setting the tone right. I have noticed as the weeks go on, people are tending to have more goods on them, sure if you sail near an outpost where someone just turned in all their loot there is a high likelihood of having an empty ship come attack you. But more and more I am finding that people will turn into an engagement instead of run away, and after sinking them they had some treasure on board.

This of course does not at all mesh with the carebear tears zeitgeist on the subreddit, maybe they are match making people by PVP kills? I for one wouldn't mind being biased into servers with other people willing to engage in battles.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Chopstix posted:

The thing is, the lack of content at launch complaints are valid but the base game is still fun. They have a pretty promising roadmap announced that has free mini-expansions coming out in May, two more in Summer, and more planned for Fall/Winter.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

VendoViper posted:

Conned a friend into buying this, took him out on his first voyage. I think in total we made about 500 bucks, but we sank a galleon and a sloop, so at least setting the tone right. I have noticed as the weeks go on, people are tending to have more goods on them, sure if you sail near an outpost where someone just turned in all their loot there is a high likelihood of having an empty ship come attack you. But more and more I am finding that people will turn into an engagement instead of run away, and after sinking them they had some treasure on board.

This of course does not at all mesh with the carebear tears zeitgeist on the subreddit, maybe they are match making people by PVP kills? I for one wouldn't mind being biased into servers with other people willing to engage in battles.

Everyone still runs from us, sometimes we find ok loot, most of the time they are empty, only very rarely do we sink someone with like 8 chests or something

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Last night me and a few friends were voyaging and had a string of good luck to the tune of around 7-8k gold worth of stuff when a skull fort pops. We hadn't been beaten in PVP in while so we forego dropping loot off and head straight for the fort. We clear it without issue and just finished loading up when we see a galleon speeding towards us. We still had plenty of time to pull away but we said gently caress it, let's sink them. Long story short, we hosed it all up and got sunk with about 20k worth of poo poo. Oops. We spawned about 3 islands away so I guessed which outpost they would unload at and we headed straight there. We found them docked and rammed them, with all of us dropping onto their ship and going for loot turn-ins rather than combat. we ended up reclaiming about 4k worth of stuff so it wasn't a complete loss.

Feeling the sting of defeat, we changed servers (also because someone else wanted in the crew) and wouldn't you know it, there is a skull fort. The cloud disappears while we are traveling but we stayed on it and wouldn't you know it, the galleon was just finishing loading up when we arrived. We sank them, got all the loot, and were able to turn everything in without issue. We then realized, oh poo poo, being server hopping scum owns and managed to do 3 additional skulls forts and had lots of pvp over the course of a bit over an hour.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Yeah, when I do runs with my streamer buddies they are wicked bad server hoppers, which sometimes sucks because you might end up playing ten to fifteen minutes of “where is the skull.”

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Yeah, when I do runs with my streamer buddies they are wicked bad server hoppers, which sometimes sucks because you might end up playing ten to fifteen minutes of “where is the skull.”

I get server hopping in theory would increase the speed at which I grind rep, I just think it's boring so I don't do it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Chopstix posted:

like people say grab the gamepass and if possible play with friends (or goons)
i found it pretty boring but pleasant and fun to play with mates

the ship PvP is supposedly good but we never got a satisfying fight out of it (only got into 2-3 scraps in ~6-7 hours and won one immediately and another dragged on until both sides ran out of cannonballs and left) water is great, sailing is good, the rest is absent

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

We'll usually server hop when we start to get the ball rolling with a skull and get a warmup, but after that initial skull we'll go ahead and start doing missions

that also gives us the benefit of knowing exactly when the next skull will be up so we can be ready for it and not in the middle of running chickens or whatever

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

PVP is completely beholden to who you share the seas with. You have to be prepared to spend some time doing missions to pass the time, Order of Souls being my preference, and wait for a skull or get the bearings of the ships around you. If you see a ship leaving an outpost, it is probably less sensible than when you see them approaching it. Smaller islands typically give less yield, so a sloop leaving an islet is generally less of a target than a galleon leaving a bay. Then you assess how good your crew is and how threatening another boat looks, what you have to lose and, finally, come to the conclusion that you will make the game much more interesting by being a total asshat.

If I have the opportunity to chase down anything, even a sloop in a headwind, I will take it. We are the best enemies this game can come up with.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Me and friends on a 3-person galleon take out a sloop at a skull fort, finish the fort and take our winnings. A galleon comes and handily sinks us and takes our stuff as we're making our way to the outpost. We respawn and make our way to a voyage island, since we can see the galleon already parked at the outpost off in the distance. While we're on the island, we see the galleon coming straight for us, and all decide to get drunk, wave, and play shanties. The boat is empty and we haven't dug up any treasure yet.

The guys come over the chat and say this island is their last souls quest before they make pirate legend. We hang around playing supportive music (and keep an eye out for gunpowder barrels- none around), and they place some mid/low tier treasure from their hold on the beach for us and apologize for the earlier piracy. With an invite, we follow their galleon back to the outpost as they sell their skulls and open the pirate cave. We sell the remaining trinkets they left on board their boat while we wait. They come back out and show off their new outfits and ship and they were so excited, it was just cool and fun :3:

Game good.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

BadSamaritan posted:

long boring story about not stabbing pubbies in the back

wtf is this poo poo?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

wtf is this poo poo?

Oh, yeah, absolutely. It was our major failing of the evening. One of our team was super curious about seeing the legendary portal and convinced us to stay chill, since we won’t be getting to legendary any time soon.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

BadSamaritan posted:

Oh, yeah, absolutely. It was our major failing of the evening. One of our team was super curious about seeing the legendary portal and convinced us to stay chill, since we won’t be getting to legendary any time soon.

You should have betrayed them all just before they got back to the outpost and became legends, forcing them to carry on playing when they thought they were so close, and as they ask why with their dying breath, you should have said "Don't gently caress with goons" and because no one has any idea what somethingawful is anymore he'd be like "what the gently caress is a goon?" and then die.

We have a pirate legend on the goon discord, he'd have taken you into the cave and given you a voyage, and I'm sure he'd say you should have betrayed them.

I expect you to work doubly hard at betraying people in the future to make up for this.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
*very goon voice* "The mittani sends he regards"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chopstix posted:

Last night, I was at an outpost with my crew selling off our ill-gotten gains for the evening before calling it a night. We'd already sold the chests and bounties, and were down to our last couple barrels of gunpowder.

We had anchored on the back side of the island so as not to be as obvious to anyone coming along, and apparently it worked. As I'm walking down the dock to the merchant, a sloop sails up bold as brass to the dock.

Being a proper pirate, I slip over the side and into the water with my barrel bomb. A few seconds swim and I can kamikaze it into the bottom of the enemy ship while they're starting to unload.

I died, of course. But both of them were on the Ferry with me. :getin: Meanwhile my crew dropped their anchor and got ready to murder them as soon as they respawned so the ship could finish sinking.

All in all, another 5000 doubloons worth of loot was fished out of the drink right off the docks after they went under, and oh the noises that were made on voice chat over our evil ways.... :yarr:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
gently caress you! That's my name! You know why, mister? You sailed a default Sloop to get here. I drove a legend cosmetic Galleon to get here. THAT'S my name. And your name is you're wanting. You can't play in the man's game, you can't loot them - go home and tell your wife your troubles. Because only one thing counts in this life: Get them to die and take their stuff. You hear me, you loving faggots? A-B-L. A-Always, B-Be, L-Looting. Always be Looting. ALWAYS BE LOOTING.

A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Does a ship catch your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, 'cause it's gently caress or no hats. You loot or you hit the boring voyages. Decision - Have you made your decision to attack them for Christ? And Action, kill and loot the fuckers. A-I-D-A. Get out there - you have pubbies to kill. You think they play to just hand over their loot? A guy don't play because he wants you to hit legend. They're sitting out there waiting for you to take their money. Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it? 

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I had the dubious pleasure of trolling a legendary today while he was attempting to carry not one, but two crews.

Here is a friend’s recording, content warning: bad pirate role play, Ginyu Force references, semen
https://m.twitch.tv/videos/252379843
The second crew continued to hide on the island and finish the skeleton quest the legend had started. We ended up chasing them halfway across the map before sinking them for a grand reward of two low grade chests, a lot of dead animals and good fun among friends.

e. Now idling in a legendary's brig, and the cash won't stop flowing. We're hitting the general poopsocker phase, for sure, though.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 21, 2018

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Kitchner posted:

gently caress you! That's my name! You know why, mister? You sailed a default Sloop to get here. I drove a legend cosmetic Galleon to get here. THAT'S my name. And your name is you're wanting. You can't play in the man's game, you can't loot them - go home and tell your wife your troubles. Because only one thing counts in this life: Get them to die and take their stuff. You hear me, you loving faggots? A-B-L. A-Always, B-Be, L-Looting. Always be Looting. ALWAYS BE LOOTING.

A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Does a ship catch your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, 'cause it's gently caress or no hats. You loot or you hit the boring voyages. Decision - Have you made your decision to attack them for Christ? And Action, kill and loot the fuckers. A-I-D-A. Get out there - you have pubbies to kill. You think they play to just hand over their loot? A guy don't play because he wants you to hit legend. They're sitting out there waiting for you to take their money. Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it? 

Are... are you okay man? You need a moment?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

AirRaid posted:

Are... are you okay man? You need a moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxrWwVtr2iw

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Tbh half the time i dont even bother with the loot or turn anything in we just sail around running riot on anything we see. Like if i see a parked ship i scrape the hull and move on lol. In other games that seems hosed up and rude a little bit but here its just kinda jolly for some reason. Its a good game.

E: also me and my buddy get drunk and do the ghost rider thing a lot now. I dont know why its so funny but its just the senseless dickheadishness of it cracks me up and its kinda challenging so its content imo.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 21, 2018

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Was up until 3am completing a legendary voyage. We ignored all ships (apart from a galleon docked at an island we needed) and even ignored some loot that was a pain in the arse (e.g. Dig a chest, find it's a seafarers, die to stupid legend skeletons, say gently caress it let's leave that one).

I mean our final haul was something like, three captains chests, a villainous skull, a bunch of lower skulls, a bunch of seafarers and marauders chests, the 3,000 or so from the MA stuff, and then the legendary chest (3,000). Probably like 12K in total.

Still the main reason it took four loving hours was because of a) MA voyages being bullshit b) some sort of glitch that made pigs in crates disappear meaning we needed to go collect another c) some of the islands being bullshit to dig stuff up on and d) legendary skeletons being boring and annoying.

The latter is particularly annoying because in a game where your power remains constant, you can't just triple enemy health and call it a day. There's no way, even with experience, that you can become good enough to take on like 9 skeletons that take about 8 cutlass swings each to kill.

Honestly i think sticking to skull forts and the PvP is probably better use of my time. The skull forts gaurentee a good haul and are quite tense because everyone tries to murder you because they know you have loot. The PvP is just loot boxes with murder. Earlier in the night we killed a sloop and found it had like two captains chests, 5 seafarers chests, and like 4 skulls. Killing them and taking their stuff was fast gold and fun. Even if they had nothing at least it would have been fun.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kitchner posted:

The latter is particularly annoying because in a game where your power remains constant, you can't just triple enemy health and call it a day. There's no way, even with experience, that you can become good enough to take on like 9 skeletons that take about 8 cutlass swings each to kill.
It's almost as if being a legend is supposed to be hard!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

some sort of glitch that made pigs in crates disappear meaning we needed to go collect another

We're you feeding them?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I swear even if your feeding the pigs as soon as you hear them cry they must be on a timer where they can die within 1 second of going hungry.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I swear even if your feeding the pigs as soon as you hear them cry they must be on a timer where they can die within 1 second of going hungry.

Hell, same

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chev posted:

It's almost as if being a legend is supposed to be hard!

It may be more difficult, but it's also a lot more frustrating. That's not a good trade-off. It's all the exact same gameplay, except now everything takes three times longer to kill. Even longer if it's pistol skeletons, since they now become a gigantic pain in the rear end unless multiple people suicide rush them with swords, because in addition to having a lot more health they can also heal more times, I believe, which makes it basically impossible to kill them with guns. Even the pistol can't reload fast enough to counter a skeleton constantly chugging bananas. You can always do the old "kite n' cannon" strat with your boat but again, it's the same old gameplay, it just takes longer.

A better system would probably be something along the lines of replacing "skeletons but with more health" with just a buttload of normal skeletons that rush you down, or even having the random skeletons that pop up occasionally be the special ones like rusties or spookies. It's just not fun to deal with Athena boosted skellies.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 21, 2018

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Kitchner posted:

:hai:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Watch a film

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

ILL Machina posted:

Watch a film

learn emotes

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
lmao

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

http://crewofthieves.com/hungering-deep-secrets/

:sax:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Sorry guys, I'm back from my probation for quoting a movie that used a naughty word.

Read through that, the speaking horn model was interesting. The mermaids too may be interesting. But that post is super long for something that basically says "New AI threat is mermaids, new item is speaking horn".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitchner posted:

Sorry guys, I'm back from my probation for quoting a movie that used a naughty word.
lmao mods are trash