Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

And does Yuns guest star in it

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Nope, I'll never be in one of those videos. But from time to time I've been in the background of one of the promo videos covering Garry or Eddie prepping for competition.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Caught a brown belt in a darce choke yesterday as a white belt. He's very good with lots of competitive success and naturally had tapped me like 10 times in the same roll but drat did it still feel good. And yeah I'm aware he might have been going easy on me.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

He gave it to you. The gulf between white and brown is so wide and deep that you’ll need years of training to even perceive it.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 18, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

He gave it to you. The gulf between white and brown is so wide and deep that you’ll need years of training to even perceive it.

or else he could have been putting himself in there and practising escapes but got in past the point of return

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Sometimes you just get caught. I've gotten brown and black belts with some leg attacks and I've snuck a d'arce from bottom side on a couple guys as well.

I've also had a white belt bow & arrow me

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried drilling the DLR leglock transition that was posted but still have a really hard time wrapping my head around it. Mainly its the final transition to get the triangle on the far leg not wrapped by my arm. I kept somehow causing my partner to go to the floor on my right side (started from DLR with my left leg doing the wrap up).

Do i just roll straight back to do the final leg triangle?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I tried drilling the DLR leglock transition that was posted but still have a really hard time wrapping my head around it. Mainly its the final transition to get the triangle on the far leg not wrapped by my arm. I kept somehow causing my partner to go to the floor on my right side (started from DLR with my left leg doing the wrap up).

Do i just roll straight back to do the final leg triangle?

If you've got some spare cash the Craig Jones leglock DVD teaches a variation of that technique and he talked about a few other details that I found helpful.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Sometimes you just get caught. I've gotten brown and black belts with some leg attacks and I've snuck a d'arce from bottom side on a couple guys as well.

I caught one of our black belts in a straight ankle lock a few weeks back and he looked totally surprised. He was cool about it though. We had a little talk about switching from the body to the legs after that.

I dont think you should have to worry if you catch an upper belt in something as long as there are no egos.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
My crowning glory was getting a left handed osoto gari on a brown belt when I was a yellow belt. Absolutely drilled him perfectly, he almost went through the mat. He was in shock and stared at me for a few seconds before shaking my hand and proceeding to further randori. Never caught him again with anything.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I caught a black belt once in a crucifix strangle (using a control detail he taught me, to boot) after he started the roll from turtle. The sequence unfolded with him kinda moving in an "I'm ok... I'm ok... oh poo poo he's better from this position than I expected" way.

I have one guy who I've only gotten once ever (out of over a thousand rolls); I caught him with a calf crank from the truck when he thought I was going for a back take.

In both cases I got totally, effortlessly, smashed afterwards.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

CommonShore posted:

In both cases I got totally, effortlessly, smashed afterwards.

Worth it tho :smug:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My favorite thing is when someone much less experienced "catches" me in something because I'm going <50% with them and then takes that as their cue to start coaching me about how to defend the sub or whatever. :thumbsup:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I caught a black belt once as a white belt.

He throw his belt off to the side and I caught it

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My favorite catch is when I catch an elbow to the face when I give a new guy a Kimura/Bump Sweep as a sort of "Here you go, you don't get to practice moves often so try this." Teach me to be generous.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

My favorite thing is when someone much less experienced "catches" me in something because I'm going <50% with them and then takes that as their cue to start coaching me about how to defend the sub or whatever. :thumbsup:

Don't doxx me.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

God that poo poo is so cringeworthy. I only started giving tips to the white belts after I trained for over 3 years and it always the most absolute basic stuff. Didn't want to step on the instructors toes. But stuff like 'slide your feet, don't step' is pretty universal.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Defenestrategy posted:

My favorite catch is when I catch an elbow to the face when I give a new guy a Kimura/Bump Sweep as a sort of "Here you go, you don't get to practice moves often so try this." Teach me to be generous.

Don't doxx me.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I made my professor tap. It was about two days after he got heel hooked by Craig Jones in a match and he was kicking his leg up to my hip to pull guard but his foot got caught in my pants leg.

It still counts :colbert:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

starkebn posted:

I made my professor tap. It was about two days after he got heel hooked by Craig Jones in a match and he was kicking his leg up to my hip to pull guard but his foot got caught in my pants leg.

It still counts :colbert:

lol nice

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

(Its a sure tap from the pain) Typically done if someone takes my back but they done have their hooks in quite properly. I was shown this move from one of the FPJJ black belts who came up to visit from Sao Paulo.

That move has been talked about already but I had to post cus I trained with Paulo and Adam down there at SDBJJ for a long time 7 or 8 years ago, back when Adam was a blue belt. It's always funny when Paulo brings those Sao Paulo black belts to show stuff cus while they're legit black belts they sometimes show "tough guy" moves that would only really work on untrained beginners. Almost like it's self-defense stuff, nothing that you could use in competition. That sounds like one of those tough guy moves... Kinda fun to know but ultimately useless since an untrained beginner shouldn't be taking your back in the first place.

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 19, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Back when I was a purple belt, I was more enthusiastic about coaching my lower ranked training partners but I generally don't do so nowadays as a black belt. I realized I didn't know as much as I thought I did. I also didn't want to be condescending. So I'll provide tips if asked and will also volunteer tips if the person is completely lost or doing something fundamentally wrong but generally won't do so otherwise.

I once showed up to an afternoon gi class without my gi so I had to borrow a gi and a white belt (if they don't have a spare belt of the correct color, you have to wear a white. You can't just knock yourself down a rank). I got paired up with a blue belt who spent his time helpfully coaching me through the moves. When we got to finally rolling, I took it easy on him but shut him down. I could see him getting madder and madder. When we got done rolling, he told me that I was pretty good for a white belt. I replied, "Thanks."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just out of curiosity, how big are the classes you're normally in?

The gym I go to has a morning, afternoon, and evening class. They average around 4, 8, 30 people (with a lot of the same people from the earlier classes coming in the later classes too).

Are there bjj gyms with so many people you don't all know each other?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

We have more than a thousand students just at the main academy. Classes vary in size from 20 for the smallest classes to 60-80 for the largest. I'm morning only for the past decade so many of the lower belts in the afternoon or evening won't know who I am although the black belts do.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yuns posted:

We have more than a thousand students just at the main academy. Classes vary in size from 20 for the smallest classes to 60-80 for the largest. I'm morning only for the past decade so many of the lower belts in the afternoon or evening won't know who I am although the black belts do.

That's a lot of folks. How do they instruct? I'm guessing multiple people walking around, or something?

I now feel pretty lucky that an 1 1/2 class usually involves a roll, or two, with the instructor to work on stuff.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

That's a lot of folks. How do they instruct? I'm guessing multiple people walking around, or something?

I now feel pretty lucky that an 1 1/2 class usually involves a roll, or two, with the instructor to work on stuff.
Typically a main instructor and an assistant instructor except John doesn't use assistant instructors. Instructors don't typically roll with students in class. It wouldn't be fair since they need to observe and give feedback to the class. Zed will sometimes roll if someone doesn't have a partner.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

That move has been talked about already but I had to post cus I trained with Paulo and Adam down there at SDBJJ for a long time 7 or 8 years ago, back when Adam was a blue belt. It's always funny when Paulo brings those Sao Paulo black belts to show stuff cus while they're legit black belts they sometimes show "tough guy" moves that would only really work on untrained beginners. Almost like it's self-defense stuff, nothing that you could use in competition. That sounds like one of those tough guy moves... Kinda fun to know but ultimately useless since an untrained beginner shouldn't be taking your back in the first place.

I was just curious if there was a name for this move ever since Stefano showed it to me :D I dont think I would use it in competition either.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yuns posted:

Typically a main instructor and an assistant instructor except John doesn't use assistant instructors. Instructors don't typically roll with students in class. It wouldn't be fair since they need to observe and give feedback to the class. Zed will sometimes roll if someone doesn't have a partner.

Must be a huge gym. I'm jealous.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Yuns posted:

I once showed up to an afternoon gi class without my gi so I had to borrow a gi and a white belt (if they don't have a spare belt of the correct color, you have to wear a white. You can't just knock yourself down a rank). I got paired up with a blue belt who spent his time helpfully coaching me through the moves. When we got to finally rolling, I took it easy on him but shut him down. I could see him getting madder and madder. When we got done rolling, he told me that I was pretty good for a white belt. I replied, "Thanks."

Oh thats gold hahaha

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Reminds me of this --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_26gVAXCg

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

omg chael crash posted:

Reminds me of this --
The best quote from that video is "He said at his Kung-Fu school they grappled a lot."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that's how i shrimp too

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I was rolling with "the leg-locking guy" at my gym tonight. We were trading top/bottom SLX starting positions. From either spot he was quickly forcing us to 50/50, then 80/20, then inside heel hook. I felt pretty clueless from all the positions. Once we hit 50/50 I felt inclined to try to rotate towards my free leg and wedge it behind his butt to try and pull my knee free but I was getting no where and then he'd point out that he'd scooped my heel and it was a good time to tap.

In other words I don't know what to do with my feet or legs. Or hands.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was finally able to get the Danaher thing correctly with a resistanceless partner but man is it counterintuitive to what I think I should do with that position.

The Craig Jones and Danaher DVDs are in my "To buy" list assuming I don't blow all my money going home for Christmas or get kidnapped by the North Koreans while in China.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 20, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ihop posted:

I was rolling with "the leg-locking guy" at my gym tonight. We were trading top/bottom SLX starting positions. From either spot he was quickly forcing us to 50/50, then 80/20, then inside heel hook. I felt pretty clueless from all the positions. Once we hit 50/50 I felt inclined to try to rotate towards my free leg and wedge it behind his butt to try and pull my knee free but I was getting no where and then he'd point out that he'd scooped my heel and it was a good time to tap.

In other words I don't know what to do with my feet or legs. Or hands.

Craig jones doesn't talk about that position much. But you could get it to see how he opens the legs from that position. Also, do you open your legs or does he open them up against your will? In general you want to keep your feet closed together until you've got something of your own but I'm sure the meta changed since Ryan Hall's DVD came out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Went to BJJ for the first time last night since the rib explosion. I wasn't able to do as much as I hoped after the warm up - just helped the instructor demo and walk new people through positions. Right now I can do anything that doesn't involve direct pressure on that quadrant of my torso, but the unpredictability of rolling is too much. So when drills started I sat on the side and watched mostly, and did a bit of detail/theory talk with one of the senior belts when that was happening.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm really new and got rnc a week, or two, ago. Ended up with a giant bruise across my throat. Looked like someone punched me.

The kids thought it was great though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

spacetoaster posted:

I'm really new and got rnc a week, or two, ago. Ended up with a giant bruise across my throat. Looked like someone punched me.

The kids thought it was great though.

They might have been too rough, but you also need to learn to tap when you can't escape, not wait for it to hurt.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Went to BJJ for the first time last night since the rib explosion. I wasn't able to do as much as I hoped after the warm up - just helped the instructor demo and walk new people through positions. Right now I can do anything that doesn't involve direct pressure on that quadrant of my torso, but the unpredictability of rolling is too much. So when drills started I sat on the side and watched mostly, and did a bit of detail/theory talk with one of the senior belts when that was happening.

That's how my ribs felt after I felt a pop while rolling with a purple belt. (no bone or cartilage damage, just a weird popping of the muscle). I found a roam roller after like 2 weeks and some icy hot helped things a lot. Also ice pack while laying on my back watching TV at night was also pretty helpful. Hope your body doesn't die on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

starkebn posted:

They might have been too rough, but you also need to learn to tap when you can't escape, not wait for it to hurt.

Someone told me to tap early, and often. I take that to heart, but there are a couple of guys who seem to really go 100% and do stuff before I realize what's happening.

There's one guy in our gym I just flat out refuse to train/roll with. If a professor pairs us up I just say no. If I can't count on the black belt to look out for me I'll do it myself until I get better.