Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

This is kind of a lovely standard though. Think about it as it applies to any other degree. "Those History degree holders had to start pumping MLM schemes! Got to put bread on the table! Just aren't enough history jobs!" A degree in a subject does not entitle you to a career in that subject, and in fact is mostly just a rubber stamp saying "This person has been through college." Tons and tons of people, maybe most people, get degrees that have nothing to do with the job that they currently perform.

The problem I see from my very distant and judgmental perch is that Game Design/Game Art seem like basically scam degrees, designed to bilk idiot teenagers of 2-4 years of tuition in return for the promise of a "Dream career" and a piece of paper that actually makes you less employable instead of more. The fact that "A degree in Game Design" and "Ability to actually develop a game" are separate things is blowing my mind, and compounding the it's-a-scam feeling for me. The good news is that it's a life lesson! But being scammed doesn't excuse signing up to scam others. You are right that morals don't pay rent or put food on the table. That is why Dumbledore gets to make big speeches about the distinction between "Doing what is right" and "Doing what is easy." Everyone is put in positions during the course of their careers where they have to decide between basic moral principles and their careers. It is what you do at that point that is worth praise or chastisement. The people developing Star Citizen have chosen to keep their mouths shut and roll with what they know is a scam. That's worth a bit of scorn now and again.

I still maintain that a sizeable percentage of CIG's employees are as taken by the scam as the backers are, if not moreso.

Skyrim Crater Taxxe:

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Before I start, I should say that I haven't played Hellion in like... forever. But take a look at how "mining" works in Hellion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-boGpbYK8Ts

Mining in and of itself is very simple: you poke the drill at the space rock. Hell, even the "refining" part is as simple as dragging and dropping some stuff on a screen and being immediately rewarded as the magic space machine turns your rocks into ore instantly. Okay, so no real revolutions here - that's about on par with mining and refining in World of Warcraft. But look at the stuff surrounding the actual mining and refining, and you start to see why this implementation is vastly more interesting than CIG's. In Hellion, mining involves some very serious risk/reward trade-offs. You have to actually get out of your ship, use all the fiddly little consoles they put in there for "immersion," navigate to the asteroid via EVA, and then travel back to dump off your canister. Any one of these is a place where something could go wrong - you might forget to lower your visor, or an enemy player might come by and destroy or jack your ship, leaving you stranded, or you might - like I have every time I've played Hellion - forget to hold on to something and go spinning wildly off into space. These things put an exciting "filter" on the very boring act of mining, making it sometimes a very tense affair, and they're all uniquely possible in Hellion because of the "you're controlling the man controlling your spaceship" aspect of it. The greatest strength of having first person mechanics in their space game is the ability to use them to make the player get up out of the cockpit every once in a while. They've implemented Elite-style "Shoot the space rock" mechanics, but surrounded by unique and interesting features in a way CIG hasn't and likely can't. I say "can't" here because while I'm sure they could retool their mining mechanic to make better use of the things that separate them from other spacegames, they're already duty-bound to cling to lovely, same-ey mechanics because for the last six years they've been selling things like "mining ships" and "Repair ships" - items that have brought them tons of money but have locked them into having to deliver a very specific kind of usability to their customers. What's the point of a "mining ship" if you must mine by hand? Conversely, why mine by hand when you've bought a $400 piece of concept art for the be-all end-all mining ship in the game? The development of fun mechanics for Star Citizen is hamstrung by their previous greed. Obviously this should come as no surprise to anyone here, but it's something I think we all take for granted a little bit, especially when we laugh at them for "putting in another golf swing mechanic." It's easy to forget that even if they wanted to or could do better than a golf-swing, they've effectively cut themselves off from new gameplay mechanics through their sales practices. The hands cutting off the legs, as it were.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just wanted to post for the mods of the matrix. Getting intense deja-vu here, glitch present, etc.

I'll get ready for deskeletization...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Before I start, I should say that I haven't played Hellion in like... forever. But take a look at how "mining" works in Hellion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-boGpbYK8Ts

Mining in and of itself is very simple: you poke the drill at the space rock. Hell, even the "refining" part is as simple as dragging and dropping some stuff on a screen and being immediately rewarded as the magic space machine turns your rocks into ore instantly. Okay, so no real revolutions here - that's about on par with mining and refining in World of Warcraft. But look at the stuff surrounding the actual mining and refining, and you start to see why this implementation is vastly more interesting than CIG's. In Hellion, mining involves some very serious risk/reward trade-offs. You have to actually get out of your ship, use all the fiddly little consoles they put in there for "immersion," navigate to the asteroid via EVA, and then travel back to dump off your canister. Any one of these is a place where something could go wrong - you might forget to lower your visor, or an enemy player might come by and destroy or jack your ship, leaving you stranded, or you might - like I have every time I've played Hellion - forget to hold on to something and go spinning wildly off into space. These things put an exciting "filter" on the very boring act of mining, making it sometimes a very tense affair, and they're all uniquely possible in Hellion because of the "you're controlling the man controlling your spaceship" aspect of it. The greatest strength of having first person mechanics in their space game is the ability to use them to make the player get up out of the cockpit every once in a while. They've implemented Elite-style "Shoot the space rock" mechanics, but surrounded by unique and interesting features in a way CIG hasn't and likely can't. I say "can't" here because while I'm sure they could retool their mining mechanic to make better use of the things that separate them from other spacegames, they're already duty-bound to cling to lovely, same-ey mechanics because for the last six years they've been selling things like "mining ships" and "Repair ships" - items that have brought them tons of money but have locked them into having to deliver a very specific kind of usability to their customers. What's the point of a "mining ship" if you must mine by hand? Conversely, why mine by hand when you've bought a $400 piece of concept art for the be-all end-all mining ship in the game? The development of fun mechanics for Star Citizen is hamstrung by their previous greed. Obviously this should come as no surprise to anyone here, but it's something I think we all take for granted a little bit, especially when we laugh at them for "putting in another golf swing mechanic." It's easy to forget that even if they wanted to or could do better than a golf-swing, they've effectively cut themselves off from new gameplay mechanics through their sales practices. The hands cutting off the legs, as it were.

Interesting way of looking at (one of) the problem(s) with CIG. The game isn't being designed by the Crobbler, nor by the backers, nor by qualified game designers. The game is being passively designed by the funding model itself. This can only lead to good things IMO.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/984901399531216897

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

I still maintain that a sizeable percentage of CIG's employees are as taken by the scam as the backers are, if not moreso.

Again with the 'scam' stuff...I still think the intent there is to make a space game, it's just that they don't have leadership worth a drat. That'll make even the most talented developer an expensive way to stink up a room. 'Scam' tends to speak to competence, and although I stand to be corrected by the record, I see more hubris, narcissism and pride in the mix, as well as some mixed aims that have little or nothing to do with a video game.

As an aside, don't think people at the bottom of Theranos _knew_ that it was based on the idea that they'd develop the concept and 'fake it until they make it'. This is literally what happens with startups. Build the business, sell it on, do something different. A little different from Enron's 'we'll pay it all back later', but seriously, some people are just there to do the job.

Scruffpuff posted:

Interesting way of looking at (one of) the problem(s) with CIG. The game isn't being designed by the Crobbler, nor by the backers, nor by qualified game designers. The game is being passively designed by the funding model itself. This can only lead to good things IMO.

Word. In fact, I hadn't considered this, but now you mention it...

roll up, roll up, only a penny to see the lunatics at Bedlam!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

déjà-vu

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/thenormal02/status/987058293808906240
https://twitter.com/SC_Logicorp/status/987061119314472960
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/987327052691988480

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Scruffpuff posted:

Yes. This is what I wanted to point out. To be honest, I have no problem in a spaceship game with "shoot rocks, get rock chunks, drag chunks from one table to another, get metal" style game design as an extrapolation for all the real details that go into mining. I think it's a perfectly serviceable, if slightly boring way of simplifying a complex process in a $60 space game.

But Star Citizen is not a $60 space game. Star Citizen is the best drat space sim to ever not exist for all time. Star Citizen's narrative that has allowed them to sell "mining ships" for hundreds or thousands of dollars should demand something better. But I'm sure in a year or five years time backers will be claiming they always wanted "shoot rocks, get metal" and you were an idiot if you expected anything else.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 20, 2018

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Let the belt out a few notches today, ok?

EightAce posted:

Many of the devs at CIG have been sold the same lie as the backers. They are not complicit in a scam they are doing What their paid to do . Lots of these guys could end up unemployed because of the actions of the bad news bears.

Some of the guys are genuinely talented passionate devs who are so enclosed in their little bit of the verse they can't see it from the outside. It's like working at area 51 , all these guys doing their thing but only the top tier know the whole plan. Unfortunately that top tier is wig commander and his generals.

This. This right here is exactly why I lay all of the blame at Crobberts feet. This reason right here. You can feel free to give this guy all sorts of leeway and I get that coming from you. But at no time will I ever take my boot off of his neck about this. There are far too many deserving devs that would have delivered something very spectacular with even a fraction of the money that Chris has scammed out of people. Yes I understand I am waving the "Not Fair" flag here but it is the absolute truth. Chris does not deserve the gift he has squandered. And in no way will anyone ever be able to melt down the lie that Chris is competent in any way and pour it on me.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/SC_Logicorp/status/986657622693728257
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/986246572110417921

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I still don't understand why he promotes his IQ as a negative. I mean, I'm kinda versed in satire, but this seems more like that joke that makes more sense in your head.

Also, the state of spelling on Twitter is absolutely atrocious. Sick burns should be spelt correctly.

thenormal appears to have a pre-occupation for pooping.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 20, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zzr posted:

déjà-vu

No thanks, I'm full.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Yes. This is what I wanted to point out. To be honest, I have no problem in a spaceship game with "shoot rocks, get rock chunks, drag chunks from one table to another, get metal" style game design as an extrapolation for all the real details that go into mining. I think it's a perfectly serviceable, if slightly boring way of simplifying a complex process in a $60 space game.

But Star Citizen is not a $60 space game. Star Citizen is the best drat space sim to ever not exist for all time. Star Citizen's narrative that has allowed them to sell "mining ships" for hundreds or thousands of dollars should demand something better. But I'm sure in a year or five years time backers will be claiming they always wanted "shoot rocks, get metal" and you were an idiot if you expected anything else.

Dev1: "Hey, I have a great idea for this mechanic, what if..."
Dev2: "We can't do that, it's not what we sold"
Dev1: "What about this idea?"
Dev2: "Sorry we already sold a ship for that too. We are tied down as to what we can make."
Dev1: "Thank god our creative freedom isn't constrained by publishers!"

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Scruffpuff posted:

Dev1: "Hey, I have a great idea for this mechanic, what if..."
Dev2: "We can't do that, it's not what we sold"
Dev1: "What about this idea?"
Dev2: "Sorry we already sold a ship for that too. We are tied down as to what we can make."
Dev1: "Thank god our creative freedom isn't constrained by publishers!"

Yep, or even better.

Group of Devs: "So Chris, we've got this great minigame for mining that is somewhat engaging, and it really works well with the existing system. Shouldn't cause any extra stability or framerate problems."
Chris: "Yah, that's good whatever, but it doesn't fit into my vision of our next concept sale. Do it more like how real world asteroid mining would work. Also add the ability to drag asteroids with a tractor beam. Also start making a video of the new ship the art team will send over dragging things with a tractor beam, we've got another sale coming up."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I REALLY want to see the emails that negative iq and his buddies are sending these places. I can only imagine how retarded and hilarious they are.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

big nipples big life posted:

I REALLY want to see the emails that negative iq and his buddies are sending these places. I can only imagine how retarded and hilarious they are.

Consumers fighting against consumer rights.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

tane

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

tuo posted:

When he said his dog is more intelligent than all of us

Well, unlike many of us posting here, no dog ever gave money to Chris Roberts so it checks out.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Well, unlike many of us posting here, no dog ever gave money to Chris Roberts so it checks out.

Hell, no dog has ever spent money to post on an internet forum either. Double checks out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

gimme a hat wobble.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dooguk posted:

Consumers fighting against consumer rights.

Extrapolation from incomplete data is a skill. Of course they're not thinking beyond the immediate, 'make the bad people go away'.

"Why aren't you coppers dealing with the real criminals."

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I imagine a lot like CSPAN. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0a24Szr1Qo

:justpost:ing

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 20, 2018

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
But I mean, plenty of people here are still in for the long haul right?

I'm backer #2000 something, in for $35 right about 6 years ago. It's a small price to pay for the ability to heat up rocks in the near future.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

DapperDon posted:

This. This right here is exactly why I lay all of the blame at Crobberts feet. This reason right here. You can feel free to give this guy all sorts of leeway and I get that coming from you. But at no time will I ever take my boot off of his neck about this. There are far too many deserving devs that would have delivered something very spectacular with even a fraction of the money that Chris has scammed out of people. Yes I understand I am waving the "Not Fair" flag here but it is the absolute truth. Chris does not deserve the gift he has squandered. And in no way will anyone ever be able to melt down the lie that Chris is competent in any way and pour it on me.

I know I've been silent on this for a while now and that I'm not the MoMA of old, but here is where I have to comment:

Chris is not actively defrauding backers or enticing others to be complicit in a scam for purposes of padding one's pocket. You are all (mostly) intelligent folk and to think that a game dev from days-past has come to the light once again in final attempt to create the game he has envisioned would so publicly try to pull a 'fast-one' in front of 2 million+ individuals would not only be brazen, but downright idiotic in today's political and legal climate. Government agencies are out for blood, especially in this hosed-up administration because missteps can so easily lead to lack of funding. The judiciary face the same scrutiny and I would imagine that many would err on the side of caution and conservation instead of being so fast-and-loose with decisions.

OK - all of that said (and why I still need to make this disclaimer after all this time is beyond me, but I'm not affiliated with CIG in any other way than an overzealous backer): I see Chris and team in a similar light to Lucas and the production of SW Episodes 1 - 3. Lucas came back to "finish" his masterpiece because he said the technology final caught up to his vision, and I compare that to Roberts thinking that he can finally substantiate his vision into something tangible. There's no other explanation for his attitude, passion and antics except that he must really believe that his vision can be accomplished with current tech and resources, so much so that he turned the dial to 11 with over 400+ employees under his employ.

No disrespect Don, but you're no one to think you can hold his neck under your boot. I don't know if you're a backer or not, but whether you have skin-in-the-game is moot: Chris and team will continue to chug forward collectively. 60+ Open positions, half of which are art or back-office related, are not a good indicator of collective business success. And to over a counterpoint: neither is the current state of the game. No - my personal feeling is that the current code base, current iteration that is backer-facing and current attitude is one that is 2 steps behind what CIG is privately working. They have contracted resources assisting with the netcode and are likely working on a scalability model for AWS, none of which fall under the umbrella of "open development" because it could be proprietary and simply not ready for public consumption. Not everything CIG does needs to be broadcast, especially if it's not ready (which I know is par for the course in some aspects).

In any event, the "fleecing of backers" so claimed by many of you is not on CIG. There's not force - there's no gun-to-the-head - for someone to back the game. Anyone could just as easily sit-out and watch, but if someone wanted to partake in play it's been well established since the kickstarter that money spent is on development. Promises made at this time to deliver a certain type of gameplay that got enveloped in scope-creep probably should have been re-evaluated and/or conceded. But after the first moves into the direction of an expansion of scope, I think it became clear to many (certainly not all) where the vision was heading.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

No - my personal feeling is that the current code base, current iteration that is backer-facing and current attitude is one that is 2 steps behind what CIG is privately working. They have contracted resources assisting with the netcode and are likely working on a scalability model for AWS, none of which fall under the umbrella of "open development" because it could be proprietary and simply not ready for public consumption. Not everything CIG does needs to be broadcast, especially if it's not ready (which I know is par for the course in some aspects).

Ah, the 'secret plan'. Tell me more about the scalability plan for Amazon Web Services, though.

The problem with your thesis - that under the surface it's entirely competent and normal, is that they display an outwardly incompetent methodology to the things that they do. This is pretty much the central idea for conspiracy theories, that the shadow entity is somehow able to create an appearance of one thing by throwing out another.

You think they'd earn more cash from a working client? I do.

You think they have land claims working before they've finished the planets? I don't.

making GBS threads out the worst for your free fly event isn't an elegant dance step, it's a pratfall.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 20, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

moma believes in the secret build

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
You realize of course MoMa, that your defense there is basically that Chris is a moron right? Like he is so incapable at game design that he doesn't realize that his grand narrative is a lie due to his own ignorance and stupidity.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Fidelitious posted:

But I mean, plenty of people here are still in for the long haul right?

I'm backer #2000 something, in for $35 right about 6 years ago. It's a small price to pay for the ability to heat up rocks in the near future.

I originally spent 8k, but not all for me: I have an organization and there was an agreement on the onset that given the amount of gameplay we share together over the years, we would partake in the upfront cost of acquiring what we would eventually want to get in-game instead of dealing with monthly contributions over X period of time (also, we wanted it all on one-two accounts so that we'd get perks like concierge, etc). My personal stake in this all is less than 3k, which still is absurd - I know - but over the course of say 60 months, is around $50 a month. I've spent that on CS:Go alone in one month no prob. And I have plans to sell off some of what I acquired either before launch or right after.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Failing to offer refunds is naughty, shock!....

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...ion-fine-2018-4

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

moma believes in the secret build

Of course. Anything else would be facing the inevitable.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

I originally spent 8k, but not all for me: I have an organization and there was an agreement on the onset that given the amount of gameplay we share together over the years, we would partake in the upfront cost of acquiring what we would eventually want to get in-game instead of dealing with monthly contributions over X period of time (also, we wanted it all on one-two accounts so that we'd get perks like concierge, etc). My personal stake in this all is less than 3k, which still is absurd - I know - but over the course of say 60 months, is around $50 a month. I've spent that on CS:Go alone in one month no prob. And I have plans to sell off some of what I acquired either before launch or right after.

how do you spent $50 a month on csgo

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

gun hats

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

I'll take three.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

In any event, the "fleecing of backers" so claimed by many of you is not on CIG. There's not force - there's no gun-to-the-head - for someone to back the game.

You need to go back and look at what fraud actually entails. Coercion isn't usually part of it. In fact, the best financial cons are always the idea of the person handing over the cash, not the person receiving them.

I can pretty much back this up with just Theranos and Enron. So, not a great argument to make. In fact, wire fraud itself is pretty drat broad, but includes no element of coercion.

That's an aggravated crime.

edit: In fact, let me say that finCrime is usually because of the greed of the victim, usually believing in the value of what they're going to get in return. The 419 scams are the tippy-tip of the pile and usually derided by people, and yet there are individuals who steal from the companies they work at on the basis that they're borrowing it to get a much larger amount in return.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 20, 2018

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

I agree. Reddit is full of pedophiles and they shouldn't be allowed to vote in real life.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

OK - all of that said (and why I still need to make this disclaimer after all this time is beyond me, but I'm not affiliated with CIG in any other way than an overzealous backer): I see Chris and team in a similar light to Lucas and the production of SW Episodes 1 - 3. Lucas came back to "finish" his masterpiece because he said the technology final caught up to his vision, and I compare that to Roberts thinking that he can finally substantiate his vision into something tangible.

Yeah, but Lucas a) made the movies, b) on time, c) without asking for backers money, So your comparison is kinda, as we highly educated people say, mootastic and dumbtacular.

Also: Lol at the "secret build". If they have one then it's the one that adds properly rendered profiteroles to the mess hall tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

how do you spent $50 a month on csgo

Highly fidelitious knife skins. (And gambling).