Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the church figured they could grow in power faster than jee-han. they might have even been right if they hadn't popped in to declare they were a threat to him, which incited jee-han to speed up his development.

Yeah that's the crux of where I see they really screwed up, they should have hit up Intel Noona to find out that jee-han was still out of their league and kept powering up off his radar until they were ready to properly ambush him. I guess it's a catch-22 though, they went after him and his teacher since they're going after lots of the generally powerful abyss people, and then presumably by the time he's strolling right into their base and threatening the leadership they've gathered enough actual intel to realize that not only is he very powerful, his "treat party like game characters" ability alone would be a huge advantage when spread to the entire church, and whatever crazy magic and "cheat character" traits he has are just gravy on top of that.

They are a good matchup, and a fine stepping stone to jee-han entering a whole new echelon of power, and I look forward to where he goes after he beats them. Maybe he gets invited into a kind of independent supergroup that his sensei's already in, and we see them doing stuff that takes a handful of insanely strong people working together. I'm also totally game for him going back to that Dragon's undersea grinding area and finding a way to exploit the hell out of it, I'm kind of surprised he's resisted doing that already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
i hate how they have their fists out and arms extended twenty feet before they actually throw the punch, i think it's the artists greatest weakness.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the art has vastly improved since the early chapters but the author clearly doesn't really know how to draw fights

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Captain Invictus posted:

the art has vastly improved since the early chapters but the author clearly doesn't really know how to draw fights

There's also some problem with motion. Fights not only look weird, but the characters don't really look like they're moving during fights either.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

There's also some problem with motion. Fights not only look weird, but the characters don't really look like they're moving during fights either.

I don't notice it much myself, I'm sure I will notice it more now that it's been pointed out. Not everybody can be Toriyama level, and the vertical panel style doesn't help either unless you're really good in which case you can probably do some wild stuff with an emphasis on vertical combat or motion (falling or being punched to the ground being the obvious example. I'd settle for a .25 Toriyama, but I have low standards.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 23, 2021

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

sincx posted:

Fool's Act really is his second most powerful spell, right behind Detect Bloodlust.

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-gamer/season-4-ep-24/viewer?title_no=88&episode_no=220

This... this was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. The greatest skill indeed.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Haha, I totally forgot about fool's act. Getting all the callbacks here.

Also I assume that the percentages don't quite work how they seem, because +100% to you and allies and -100% to enemies is far too broken even for the gamer, it makes it sound like you'd completely disable the opponent.

Even if the percentages are at least slightly more fair that's an insane ability and the strongest thing we've seen him do yet in my opinion. I think he's really made fighting in his territory completely unfeasible for anyone who isn't at like, Harem King tier, and if he can figure out how to deploy a similar thing in hostile territory then he's really created a monster.

Maybe he'll end up getting into the church of masks territory and creating a similar barrier modifying installation that focuses on dispelling the divine connection?

And just for kicks, if someone wants to track down the debut of fool's act and why it's so broken and link that please do so, I'd like a blast from the plast.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NowonSA posted:

Also I assume that the percentages don't quite work how they seem, because +100% to you and allies and -100% to enemies is far too broken even for the gamer, it makes it sound like you'd completely disable the opponent.

Even if the percentages are at least slightly more fair that's an insane ability and the strongest thing we've seen him do yet in my opinion. I think he's really made fighting in his territory completely unfeasible for anyone who isn't at like, Harem King tier, and if he can figure out how to deploy a similar thing in hostile territory then he's really created a monster.

Maybe he'll end up getting into the church of masks territory and creating a similar barrier modifying installation that focuses on dispelling the divine connection?

And just for kicks, if someone wants to track down the debut of fool's act and why it's so broken and link that please do so, I'd like a blast from the plast.

Episode 22

And man, such a sharp contrast between Jeehan and Shiyun's fights.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

NowonSA posted:

In a time long ago, in some game I can't even remember, there was an ability to reduce the damage taken by -100% that seemed real good. But someone much more keen into game designed said that due to how games are programmed, that 100% was actually something like 25% less damage and to actually reach a 100% damage reduction it would take something like -356% less damage taken.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

McTimmy posted:

In a time long ago, in some game I can't even remember, there was an ability to reduce the damage taken by -100% that seemed real good. But someone much more keen into game designed said that due to how games are programmed, that 100% was actually something like 25% less damage and to actually reach a 100% damage reduction it would take something like -356% less damage taken.

Who programs these games?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 23, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Episode 22

And man, such a sharp contrast between Jeehan and Shiyun's fights.

It's to be expected, but it's a fun reversal of where we'd see Jee-han be mostly useless when the black sorcerer and loli-noona were fighting Company guys in flashy battle, and now he's doing the flashy stuff and the close fight is his ally.

I also hope you realize that since it's only a chance to confuse an opponent, and his opponent is super high level like him, he must have put in time grinding the skill. I wish we'd gotten a popup to show that it was at level 50 now, so in his time compressed training we knew that he just kept doing goofy poses for a hundred hours.

On the percentage stuff, I guess there are times where it's misleading in games, especially when it comes to damage reduction/prevention. You get cases where 100% really means cut in half, all kinds of stupid programming things, so chalking that readout to it needing to be run through an actual conversion chart to take it from gamer rules to actual effect on reality works for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the success rate is probably dependent on comedic timing, because that's how gaia rolls

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That is the best success rate for a skill like Fool's Act. It works the best when it would be absolutely foolish to use it!

Now that's thinking like a fool.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-gamer/season-4-ep-25/viewer?title_no=88&episode_no=221

Is a bit unnerving how flippant Jeehan is about stealing skills now.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It's expected that he'll slowly lose his humanity as time goes on.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gamerrrrss miiiiiiind

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I think I saw this scene in marvel once.

Jee han, don't feed her any more guild leaders/master/yeongham champions!

She'll turn into a bird and fly away (and burn everything too)

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Stealing skills is one thing; I'm more concerned about his, "Yeah I can heal people so long as it's less than three minutes after their heart stops."

I truly hope that specificity came from a pop-up window at some point.

(Also, stealing skills is somehow equal parts horrifying and the most humane way he can keep people from coming back after him.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Horrifying will win out if he finds away to automate the process (having other people do his grinding for him) or for the consequences of having Abyss people lose their crazy skills that kept them alive in the Abyss.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-gamer/season-4-ep-26/viewer?title_no=88&episode_no=222

And we're coming to the climax of the Church of Masks arc.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The more I see the Church of Masks comment on Jee-han's offensive strength, the more it becomes clear they have no clue about anything.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The power level creep over the course of like 24 hours is hilarious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SerSpook posted:

The more I see the Church of Masks comment on Jee-han's offensive strength, the more it becomes clear they have no clue about anything.

it's not an ancient conspiracy or a big organization, just one of jee-han's peers controlling an imperfect hive mind. she's lacking in experience.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jee-Han nerf when

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-gamer/season-4-ep-27/viewer?title_no=88&episode_no=223

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I dunno, I want to see some hot sylph support action.

Jee-Han nerf will probably come about in version 1.2 of Gaia where Telekinesis is properly reclassified as a spell.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I feel like we havn't seen a lot of Sylph lately. Looking forward for her to being crucial to whatever plan Jee-han has.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we've never seen a lot of sylph. jee-han has barely used his other three elementals.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Glad to see the Gamer kicking rear end.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

we've never seen a lot of sylph. jee-han has barely used his other three elementals.

Oh right, I was thinking of Gnome.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

I dunno, I want to see some hot sylph support action.

Jee-Han nerf will probably come about in version 1.2 of Gaia where Telekinesis is properly reclassified as a spell.

This use of TK is a real good exploit, but I feel like he's going to come up with an even better one, maybe be further refining the magic absorbing balls he's flying around. Seems like you could reshape them into daggers if nothing else.

He's actually spent a lot of time training his physical stats and skills even if he put almost all of his actual stat points into INT, and he just skill drained that magic swordsman, so maybe we'll see him actually get into physical combat while having some kind of constant spell effect, or effects, going off around him.

In the grand scheme of things he really escalated quickly from beating up zombies in an instant dungeon to "practically soloing a faction that took out an entire GUILD," if not in real publishing time then in the amount of time shown passing in the comic, which is probably 6-12 months real time and who knows how long with his time chamber bullshit.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

NowonSA posted:

maybe we'll see him actually get into physical combat

Looks like things are going that way.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-gamer/season-4-ep-28/viewer?title_no=88&episode_no=224

Holy poo poo :stare:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Next week: Jee-han heroically...beats up a girl in a wheelchair...

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 18, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect her brother will pop in sooner or later. he was involved during her initial experimentation with her powers, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the church. going from body swapping between siblings to a hivemind with forced participation is quite a jump, and i figure her brother is important to that story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Her zip zop zoopin' around in the air in a wheelchair was some goofy-rear end poo poo

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Captain Invictus posted:

Her zip zop zoopin' around in the air in a wheelchair was some goofy-rear end poo poo

We're invested now though.

She could be wheelchair drifting and there could be 90's Eurobeat in the background and we'd still show up.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Man he's going to TK himself to stop the fall and be all "it's not magic" :smugdog: and I'm going to love it.

I definitely wasn't expecting him to have magic cancelling in his bag of tricks, even against someone it's super effective against, since it cuts him off from so much of his power. So now he can create a territory that turns him (and only him as far as I know, unless I misread it) into a magical god, and one that removes all magic, wowzer.

If he reveals that he's able to still use full-blown magic inside that field because of some super bullshit gamer cheat then I'm calling it now, except for the harem king, the literal God that the online game made, and maybe that one lady from the top-tier guild with a super fancy legendary weapon I don't think any other characters we've seen can beat him in a one on one fight that he's ready for. His teacher could come down to if she summons up a powerful being beforehand and if that summon is considered magic and countered by the zone, but even then I think he can take down top-tier mages like the dark magic dude that gave him sense bloodlust and his teacher if he can keep his magic while crippling theirs.

In any case, after this arc I really want him to get kidnapped by a high-level sneak attack that he couldn't prevent and see him have to go back to basics like Arnold from Predator in the jungle. Maybe he gets slapped with magic restraints he can't take off so he has to rely on his physical skills and general BS gamer skills to get out of there. They've foreshadowed people getting used as human mana batteries for awhile, and with him free from the Harem King's protection and showing off his crazy mana and gamer skills I think he's made himself too tempting a target and one of the REAL big fishes will go after him and try to force or convince him to do what they want.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that as much as I enjoy the premise I want something to change from the "Jihan kicks rear end" "Jihan trains" cycle that we've been in for quite awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's just going to tank the fall with gamers body