Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/FedeItaliano76/status/986907299003453441?s=20

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Now all I can think of is the Orange Catholic Bible being a series of Chick Tracts about the dangers of LORD CYBERTREX-8000

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Zeniel posted:

Now all I can think of is the Orange Catholic Bible being a series of Chick Tracts about the dangers of LORD CYBERTREX-8000

Really wanna see this

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i am incapable of picturing leto 2's 'royal cart' as being anything other than some medieval-era two-wheel cart that noclips off the ground when it needs to hover. then I lose my poo poo when someone is like, ah, such incredible Ixian manufacturing

cart is just not a very awe-inspiring descriptor

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

skasion posted:

Curious, what other Dune music would you recommend or discommend? My favorite is probably Bernard Szajner’s Visions of Dune.

Only one proper Dune song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y3o4okKXMU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Milky Moor posted:

i am incapable of picturing leto 2's 'royal cart' as being anything other than some medieval-era two-wheel cart that noclips off the ground when it needs to hover. then I lose my poo poo when someone is like, ah, such incredible Ixian manufacturing

the imperial rascal

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

sebmojo posted:

the imperial rascal

the part where there's a crowd of petitioners and Leto 2 just floors his imperial rascal at them shouting 'clear away! clear away!' was just incredible. it's maybe the one point in these four books so far where I've had to pause my reading for a few moments

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

can you imagine adapting that scene????

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I always imagined something like that thing Jabba the Hutt rides.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

I always imagined something like that thing Jabba the Hutt rides.

Show some respect now that Carrie Fisher is dead

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

:gowron:

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Milky Moor posted:

I want to say that maybe it's like book of the new sun where existing modern and archaic terms are used as a loose approximation of weird far future things but Dune is all about that invented terminology so it probably is just a big cart.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
maybe it's literally a dune cart i.e. buggy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I picture a moon buggy

THE moon buggy, it's an antique heirloom

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz8UBhofNOU
true dune soundtrack 4/20/10191 eat spice everyday

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

This just goes to show you why Dune is in dire need of a Star Wars-esque expanded universe. Then we'd know the exact measurements of the cart, the manufacturer of each individual component, the percentage of the imperial budget allotted to the cart's construction, and how the cart was somehow present for every major event in the Dune storyline.

The lack of hyper-specific technical information is a serious shortcoming of the setting imo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Communist Walrus posted:

This just goes to show you why Dune is in dire need of a Star Wars-esque expanded universe. Then we'd know the exact measurements of the cart, the manufacturer of each individual component, the percentage of the imperial budget allotted to the cart's construction, and how the cart was somehow present for every major event in the Dune storyline.

The lack of hyper-specific technical information is a serious shortcoming of the setting imo

I have glimpsed this future.

The Royal Cart -- also known as Lord Leto's Legendary Levitating Lounge -- was constructed at the GempLeSuReCon Center on Ix. Severe budgetary restrictions meant that the Royal Cart would beep at random, preventing Leto 2 from being able to ever rest and frequently causing distraction during his prescient visions. This beeping is both what caused Paul to forsake the Golden Path and 'the horror' glimpsed in the future.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
the best dune soundtrack imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS6u27apKnc

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Leto's cart is like a splendid streamlined tank with fabulous bulges and curves for hidden sensors and other equipment he uses on a day to day basis. "Imperial rascal" is actually a p fitting term, since he's got everything on it for when he's on the go (except hopefully he doesn't have a miniature Atreides flag - that would look tacky). He also has lil wipers to buff out all the blood spatter from ghola assassins.

It probably shines like a chromium tank fresh out of a car wash, which would also explain the angry worm god it conveys.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"Support are sietch." :bahgawd:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

phasmid posted:

Leto's cart is like a splendid streamlined tank with fabulous bulges and curves for hidden sensors and other equipment he uses on a day to day basis. "Imperial rascal" is actually a p fitting term, since he's got everything on it for when he's on the go (except hopefully he doesn't have a miniature Atreides flag - that would look tacky). He also has lil wipers to buff out all the blood spatter from ghola assassins.

It probably shines like a chromium tank fresh out of a car wash, which would also explain the angry worm god it conveys.

I've assumed the metal parts are bronze-colored, both because it's a desert color and because it evokes the sort of ancient feel of a God-Emperor. I'd imagine there's a lot of obfuscation like extra controls that never get used just to hide that there's almost certainly an Ixian computer inside handling most poo poo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've assumed the metal parts are bronze-colored, both because it's a desert color and because it evokes the sort of ancient feel of a God-Emperor. I'd imagine there's a lot of obfuscation like extra controls that never get used just to hide that there's almost certainly an Ixian computer inside handling most poo poo.

The God-Emperor's Delta Flyer

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Stephen King has some good stuff but holy poo poo, Cell is probably the worst book I ever read.

Cell is the only book I’ve read where every chapter is worse than the one before it.

Unlike the Brian Herbert Dune books, which maintain a consistent quality level of “boiling diarrhea” throughout.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Agreed.

The game this soundtrack is from resonated with me so much a young kid, probably the main reason I love Dune so much.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Cell is the only book I’ve read where every chapter is worse than the one before it.

Unlike the Brian Herbert Dune books, which maintain a consistent quality level of “boiling diarrhea” throughout.

I haven't read any BH but I've read a few of the KJA Star Wars books and Cell was significantly worse

I would spoil the ending for people but there literally is no ending

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Zeniel posted:

Agreed.

The game this soundtrack is from resonated with me so much a young kid, probably the main reason I love Dune so much.

same. like everything from that time, amiga music supremacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7MFBmjPSd4

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The audiobook of dune on archive.org that was posted way up thread has been removed "for issues with content".

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Dune vs 40k God Emperor faceoff: who wins? Let's say neither has died yet.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Milky Moor posted:

I have glimpsed this future.

The Royal Cart -- also known as Lord Leto's Legendary Levitating Lounge -- was constructed at the GempLeSuReCon Center on Ix. Severe budgetary restrictions meant that the Royal Cart would beep at random, preventing Leto 2 from being able to ever rest and frequently causing distraction during his prescient visions. This beeping is both what caused Paul to forsake the Golden Path and 'the horror' glimpsed in the future.

The Royal Cart was present during the Battle of Arrakeen (0 BBA) where, unbeknownst to members of the imperial court and House Harkonnen, its Richese AP-5735 Autonomous Operation System compelled the Cart to surreptitiously nudge Baron Harkonnen in the foot, momentarily distracting him and giving Alia Atreides the opportunity to stab the Baron with the gom jabbar.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JohnnySavs posted:

Dune vs 40k God Emperor faceoff: who wins? Let's say neither has died yet.

I don't think the emperor is immune to precience for any reason, so he's probably boned.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It would be like that Nicolas Cage movie Next

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I like to believe the royal cart has one of those impotent sounding horns that rascal scooters have too.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

at the end of the dune series, it turns out paul was a worm the whole time.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MC Hawking posted:

The audiobook of dune on archive.org that was posted way up thread has been removed "for issues with content".
the herbert estate is known for being ruthless about this stuff

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I think my favorite thing totally glossed over is how freaking bad your junk would smell after a month in a still suit with a catheter shoved up in there. Fremen must reek.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MC Hawking posted:

I think my favorite thing totally glossed over is how freaking bad your junk would smell after a month in a still suit with a catheter shoved up in there. Fremen must reek.

They mention that a few times in the first book. After that everyone involved is used to it or is fond of the comforting smells of the sietch.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
d u n e . . .

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the herbert estate is known for being ruthless about this stuff

The herbert estate is... Brian?

I gotta say I want to just distribute illegal copies of Frank's work just to spite that fucker. Especially if it's hurting nobody else

pay a fuckload of money just zeroxing copies , and handing them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

paul_soccer10 posted:

d u n e . . .

...what is the connection between paul_soccer10 and the spice?