Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
@Duck, if you wanna look it up idc. Toss me a pm if you’re so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

@Duck, if you wanna look it up idc. Toss me a pm if you’re so inclined.

only if you want me to check. I’m sure it’s fine otherwise.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Ended up getting an X4 since it's pretty much better than the G6 in every way but the screen. Hoping this is the last CDMA phone I ever have to get and next time I'm in the market for a new phone Verizon will be LTE-only and I can bring any phone I want on to the network without needing CDMA compatibility.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I was considering dropping my grandfathered unlimited for the XL plan. I have a former coworker who works at a Verizon store (Corp). Does he get any compensation if I have him do the plan change instead of just doing it myself online?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

waffle iron posted:

I was considering dropping my grandfathered unlimited for the XL plan. I have a former coworker who works at a Verizon store (Corp). Does he get any compensation if I have him do the plan change instead of just doing it myself online?

Lol it would actually hurt him/her ratings wise (not income) because he/she would be “stepping you down.” So please do it online or call Care.

The XL plan normally doesn’t show online, so you may have to call Care.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We recently put a metal roof on our house and since then, I have noticed lower call quality.

Is there any downside to using WiFi calling such as hidden fees?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We recently put a metal roof on our house and since then, I have noticed lower call quality.

Is there any downside to using WiFi calling such as hidden fees?

WiFi calling is completely free, no downsides, turn that poo poo on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, cell companies love it because they can still bill you for calls going over someone else’s network.

They would rather you make all calls via WiFi.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
does family base give an alert to everyone if i turn it on?

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
Can someone explain to me like I am an idiot (I am) the phone insurance plans?

Here is how I understand it.

TEP ($9/month, $216 for 2 years, $199 deductible)
Covers loss/theft, damage, defect

WPP ($6.75/month, $162 for 2 years, $199 deductible)
Covers loss/theft, damage

SquareTrade ($119 for 2 years, $99 deductible)
Damage, defect

I currently don't have any insurance and have had the phone for over four months. Am I just at the mercy of cost vs coverage?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DEUSFORORUM posted:

Can someone explain to me like I am an idiot (I am) the phone insurance plans?

Here is how I understand it.

TEP ($9/month, $216 for 2 years, $199 deductible)
Covers loss/theft, damage, defect

WPP ($6.75/month, $162 for 2 years, $199 deductible)
Covers loss/theft, damage

SquareTrade ($119 for 2 years, $99 deductible)
Damage, defect

I currently don't have any insurance and have had the phone for over four months. Am I just at the mercy of cost vs coverage?

TEC (not TEP) is going to $10, so it isn’t $9 a month.

Otherwise you’re spot on for the Verizon ones , I can’t confirm square trade but that sounds right.

Normally you wouldn’t qualify for insurance on Verizon, but it’s open enrollment so if you want it you can call and add it.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

TEC (not TEP) is going to $10, so it isn’t $9 a month.

Otherwise you’re spot on for the Verizon ones , I can’t confirm square trade but that sounds right.

Normally you wouldn’t qualify for insurance on Verizon, but it’s open enrollment so if you want it you can call and add it.

The MyVerizon app is showing it for $9. Does that make it a better prospect, or do you still recommend WPP?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DEUSFORORUM posted:

The MyVerizon app is showing it for $9. Does that make it a better prospect, or do you still recommend WPP?

It’ll go up to $10 this summer. Just FYI.

It’s worth it usually for the extended warranty, but depends on what you want to pay.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How long do these free phone deals go on? I quite like the "get a free iPhone 8 with an iPhone X" deal going on since I was gonna bring my girlfriend onto my plan anyways.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

How long do these free phone deals go on? I quite like the "get a free iPhone 8 with an iPhone X" deal going on since I was gonna bring my girlfriend onto my plan anyways.

Until Sunday (Mother’s Day) . If you have any questions let me know, if you would like a referral code from me feel free to PM me.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Question on a new or changed postpaid cellphone number:

If I add another cellular line to Verizon or change my existing number, can I choose the area code and first three digits of the phone number that don’t match my billing area?

So if I had family in Michaigan but lived in Illinois, I could get a Michaigan area code phone number, something like that, even though my billing address is in Illinois.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Question on a new or changed postpaid cellphone number:

If I add another cellular line to Verizon or change my existing number, can I choose the area code and first three digits of the phone number that don’t match my billing area?

So if I had family in Michaigan but lived in Illinois, I could get a Michaigan area code phone number, something like that, even though my billing address is in Illinois.

Where you live does not affect what area code you can get. So yes, you can get a Michigan area code. It’ll give you area code, and few options for the next 3 numbers, last four numbers are random.

If you need any help with this, or want a referral code, feel free to PM.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I want to add a line onto my existing plan. Its a 10gb plan that i pay $80 a month and $15 per line for ($40 with a $25 line discount on each for having signed up for and paid off a phone purchase plan)

How much is that new line going to cost me and is it going to gently caress up the price of my other lines? I tried adding it online and it looked like it was the full $40 plus it was going to increase all my other lines up to $40 also.

Is the payment plan discount still a thing? Would i be better off buying a phone I dont need in order to get the line discount added, or can it be added if I bring my own phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

I want to add a line onto my existing plan. Its a 10gb plan that i pay $80 a month and $15 per line for ($40 with a $25 line discount on each for having signed up for and paid off a phone purchase plan)

How much is that new line going to cost me and is it going to gently caress up the price of my other lines? I tried adding it online and it looked like it was the full $40 plus it was going to increase all my other lines up to $40 also.

Is the payment plan discount still a thing? Would i be better off buying a phone I dont need in order to get the line discount added, or can it be added if I bring my own phone?

You have to add a line at $40 and then request the discount.

Feel free to PM me, I can’t process it, but I can send you a referral link, and I would be able to make it down to $15 for you after the fact. The referral is nice because it pays me to help you.

So basically, if you add the line for $40, I’ll discount it down. Did you already have a SIM card?

Also, what type of phone?

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

You have to add a line at $40 and then request the discount.

Feel free to PM me, I can’t process it, but I can send you a referral link, and I would be able to make it down to $15 for you after the fact. The referral is nice because it pays me to help you.

So basically, if you add the line for $40, I’ll discount it down. Did you already have a SIM card?

Also, what type of phone?

Thanks. Sent you a pm.

Its an iphone 5c and I need a sim card.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Hm. We switched over to Verizon last weekend and looks like we got bait and switched pretty hard.

I am "ok" with what we ended up with but its certainly not what we were sold over the phone. What is the best way of escalating to someone that can actually help us out?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Hm. We switched over to Verizon last weekend and looks like we got bait and switched pretty hard.

I am "ok" with what we ended up with but its certainly not what we were sold over the phone. What is the best way of escalating to someone that can actually help us out?

I mean, what happened? It really depends on what your definition of a bait and switch is.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Is Verizon stuck on bogo promos? Been looking to pick up a pixel 2xl, but can't seem to get a deal on just one from Verizon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unsane posted:

Is Verizon stuck on bogo promos? Been looking to pick up a pixel 2xl, but can't seem to get a deal on just one from Verizon.

They had a trade in promo last month, but on specific phones. Father’s day is a big week for Verizon, so they want the BOGO out, but I would bet a different promo based on trade ins launches June 18. I honestly haven’t seen anything, but it’s what Verizon would go to historically.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Just wanted to say thanks to Duckman for helping me with my questions and setting up my new line.

Super helpful and easy - he basically did all the work for me. 10/10 would post again!

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, what happened? It really depends on what your definition of a bait and switch is.

Initially my wife went to Verizon corporate store to switch both of us from Sprint to Verizon month to month and bring our existing owned devices. She has a 6s Plus, I have a S7 Edge. They sold her a couple SIM cards with time on them for us to swap to and told her to go home and install them. They put my S7 Edge in as a different model iPhone - they had the IMEI of my phone and they knew it wasn't compatible. My wife did not know that when she left so when we found out I called Verizon and asked what my options were.

Phone support was very confused and couldn't figure out why the store would have sold it to us knowing my imei didn't work. Eventually I got transferred to someone "at headquarters".

I hadn't planned on buying a new phone but I wasn't staying with Sprint so I asked what kind of promotions or deals they had for us if we both upgraded. The salesperson said they would knock off activation fees and our trade ins would be worth 300/350 dollars (I have a spreadsheet with all the numbers he told us) each. With the trade-in value this seemed like a reasonably good deal, more than we would get selling person to person and eliminate having to sell our old devices private party.

We ended up going with a 4gb shared plan with 2 S9+s. All the numbers he told us seemed correct (principal minus price of phones, minus a chunk of downpayment - he gave us exact numbers) and I agreed. I asked about the trade-ins and how I get credited for those and he said "uhh, you'll get asked about that later". I was confused but he assured me that I would be able to get credit for them later. I also am supposed to get a discount through my employer which I am supposed to call back on.

After I get off the phone I find out there is a BOGO deal (I asked what deals they had on S9+)...

So, now I need to know what to do in this situation before I call. Currently we are paying for 2 S9+s essentially full price (plus the activation fee). Should I call support or billing or escalte?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Initially my wife went to Verizon corporate store to switch both of us from Sprint to Verizon month to month and bring our existing owned devices. She has a 6s Plus, I have a S7 Edge. They sold her a couple SIM cards with time on them for us to swap to and told her to go home and install them. They put my S7 Edge in as a different model iPhone - they had the IMEI of my phone and they knew it wasn't compatible. My wife did not know that when she left so when we found out I called Verizon and asked what my options were.

Phone support was very confused and couldn't figure out why the store would have sold it to us knowing my imei didn't work. Eventually I got transferred to someone "at headquarters".

I hadn't planned on buying a new phone but I wasn't staying with Sprint so I asked what kind of promotions or deals they had for us if we both upgraded. The salesperson said they would knock off activation fees and our trade ins would be worth 300/350 dollars (I have a spreadsheet with all the numbers he told us) each. With the trade-in value this seemed like a reasonably good deal, more than we would get selling person to person and eliminate having to sell our old devices private party.

We ended up going with a 4gb shared plan with 2 S9+s. All the numbers he told us seemed correct (principal minus price of phones, minus a chunk of downpayment - he gave us exact numbers) and I agreed. I asked about the trade-ins and how I get credited for those and he said "uhh, you'll get asked about that later". I was confused but he assured me that I would be able to get credit for them later. I also am supposed to get a discount through my employer which I am supposed to call back on.

After I get off the phone I find out there is a BOGO deal (I asked what deals they had on S9+)...

So, now I need to know what to do in this situation before I call. Currently we are paying for 2 S9+s essentially full price (plus the activation fee). Should I call support or billing or escalte?

Oh. Well I can see why you are upset on that.

Are you within 14 days of purchase date for the S9+ ‘s ? If so , they can do price protect for the BOGO. I would recommend calling customer care, being polite but escalate it, and they should be able to put in a request for price match. And act fee credit.

In reality the store should fix it, but it sounds like either a poorly run store, or you got a sketchy rep. It really shouldn’t be that hard, and even stuff like the S7 not being compatible, any decent rep will tell you that up front because giving out wrong info just makes life a lot harder. So whatever the reason, sorry to hear you got screwed a bit.

If you go back to the store, call ahead of time, request to speak to a manager and/or have them call, and start there. If you got a survey on Verizon, and you give the survey less than 6s, I guarantee you that’ll get their attention.

FYI the system should still process the trade ins if you took the phones in and traded them in, but you can’t get both the trade in and BOGO, only one or the other. So they were right you can trade in later (you have like, at least a month from purchase), but they just explained poorly.

For the work discount, you can submit for it here:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/discount-program/

Keystoned posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to Duckman for helping me with my questions and setting up my new line.

Super helpful and easy - he basically did all the work for me. 10/10 would post again!

Appreciate the good word. Not a problem, and I do get credit so it helped me too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

How terrible is Safety Mode/throttled? I'm a cheap gently caress, want a cheap plan, and if I could still stream apple music if I go over it would be splendid.

e: I rarely use too much data, and found T-Mobile prepaid throttling to be tolerable, but Sprint post-paid throttling (and speeds in general) to be pretty terrible.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 14, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

How terrible is Safety Mode/throttled? I'm a cheap gently caress, want a cheap plan, and if I could still stream apple music if I go over it would be splendid.

e: I rarely use too much data, and found T-Mobile prepaid throttling to be tolerable, but Sprint post-paid throttling (and speeds in general) to be pretty terrible.

I wouldn’t bet on music streaming, although I’ve never used safety mode myself. What’s your budget, phone and plan you are looking at?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I was looking at the 2GB/S plan (I've exceeded this once in the past year), bringing in a carrier-unlocked iPhone SE. I want to find the best plan I can for around or under $50, post-paid so roaming is included (I want to be able to call/text if I'm out in the middle of nowhere). I get a ~20% employee discount with the big four carriers.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
My wife is on the S plan and it's $35 for the plan, $20 for 'line access', and taxes. So minimum you're looking at $55. The line access charge is so stupid because if you're only using 1 phone on the plan, it should just be part of the plan charge. Verizon is the only service that works well in my area so we're stuck.

Any discounts you get will go towards the plan and not line access.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheWevel posted:

My wife is on the S plan and it's $35 for the plan, $20 for 'line access', and taxes. So minimum you're looking at $55.

Any discounts you get will go towards the plan and not line access.
This is correct, we have the same plan. So his data plan would be $28, or $48 total (plus fees and taxes).

Also Clark about the “ive only gone over 2GB once” for info that discount is applied if you kick it up a tier for a month. So, instead of 4GB being $15 extra, for you it would be $12 extra. Also you get one month of unused data rollover.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thanks for the heads up about discounts not applying to the “line access fee.” I knew there was no way Verizon would end up being as cheap as my current Sprint plan.

Anyway, I found out that my phone (model A1723) doesn’t support LTE on Verizon’s network so I’m staying put for the time being

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

Thanks for the heads up about discounts not applying to the “line access fee.” I knew there was no way Verizon would end up being as cheap as my current Sprint plan.

Anyway, I found out that my phone (model A1723) doesn’t support LTE on Verizon’s network so I’m staying put for the time being

https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-se-model-numbers-a1662-a1723-a1724-differences/

I would expect the iPhone SE in any model to work.

Above posters are correct, plan is $35 for 2GB, really $30 after discount, $20 for like, so it’s $50 a month plus tax.

Prepaid is $40, but yeah post paid is a bit different coverage wise.

In general, if you want that $50 plan, I can’t say much, but I would strongly recommend signing up sooner rather than later. Plans can always change. And as an example, the BOGO promos end after Sunday, so any current stuff you can expect to stay in place until at least then.

FYI porting your number to Verizon on that plan, and bringing your own device, you would get a $150 gift card.

If you would like a referral code, or have questions, feel free to PM.

Edit:

Here’s a press release on the new plans, I wasn’t sure if they were announcing them until Monday.

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/mix-and-match-your-unlimited-plans

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 15, 2018

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
For the hotspots what does it throttle you to once tine used the 15gb or 20gb at 4g?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PneumonicBook posted:

For the hotspots what does it throttle you to once tine used the 15gb or 20gb at 4g?

3G speeds. It’s usabe for web browsing, no zippy but usable. Not usable for music or video.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

3G speeds. It’s usabe for web browsing, no zippy but usable. Not usable for music or video.

In my experience the modern web is so bloated so it's basically unusable, really wish they'd up the throttle to something reasonable like 600 kilobytes instead of kilobits.

Duckman with the whole mix and match thing do you have any idea how that works with that snagged the February unlimited deal? I've got 3 lines and might want to switch one to above unlimited if I can demote a different line and keep the price the same but I think right now I'm paying the go unlimited price for beyond unlimited speeds so I'm not sure if there's any money to be saved there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CFox posted:

In my experience the modern web is so bloated so it's basically unusable, really wish they'd up the throttle to something reasonable like 600 kilobytes instead of kilobits.

Duckman with the whole mix and match thing do you have any idea how that works with that snagged the February unlimited deal? I've got 3 lines and might want to switch one to above unlimited if I can demote a different line and keep the price the same but I think right now I'm paying the go unlimited price for beyond unlimited speeds so I'm not sure if there's any money to be saved there.

Go and Beyond unlimited stay at the same price. Really the only difference is you can mix and match, and they have a top tier “Above” option.

So 3 people on Go Unlimited is $50*3 = $150. Say you do 1 Beyond, 2 Go. It’s $50 + $50 + $$60 = $160.

So it’s a good improvement because before if one person needed hotspot, EVERYONE had to get Beyond.

The old plan was $100 + $20 a line, so 3 lines would be $160. So for your case, unless you really really needed the above unlimited stay on the older one.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-se-model-numbers-a1662-a1723-a1724-differences/

I would expect the iPhone SE in any model to work.

Above posters are correct, plan is $35 for 2GB, really $30 after discount, $20 for like, so it’s $50 a month plus tax.

Prepaid is $40, but yeah post paid is a bit different coverage wise.

In general, if you want that $50 plan, I can’t say much, but I would strongly recommend signing up sooner rather than later. Plans can always change. And as an example, the BOGO promos end after Sunday, so any current stuff you can expect to stay in place until at least then.

FYI porting your number to Verizon on that plan, and bringing your own device, you would get a $150 gift card.

If you would like a referral code, or have questions, feel free to PM.

Edit:

Here’s a press release on the new plans, I wasn’t sure if they were announcing them until Monday.

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/mix-and-match-your-unlimited-plans

Are you sure it’s a good idea to port into Verizon with a phone that doesn’t support band 13? My model doesn’t have that band and everything I’ve been reading makes it sound like that’s the main (and in most places only) LTE band for Verizon.

The SE is weird and has several models for different carriers unlike other current iPhones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Clark Nova posted:

Ive got a Vzw iPhone SE 64gb in grey, I’d work out a trade scheme if your phone is in good shape.