Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Bertuccis is next. Sad as it's one of only two restaurant chains I like.

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2018/04/16/bertucci-s-files-for-bankruptcy-to-close-15.amp.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

quote:

[Bertucci’s] has agreed to offer jobs to “substantially all” current Bertucci’s workers, according to Connell's filing.

Can someone explain this to me? Surely the total number of jobs in the organization is about to go down. How can they offer a position to “substantially all” (???) of their current workforce?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
They're being bought out by Right Capital. They're not closing yet, they'll just restructure their corporate, cut BOH wages, then cut the money spent at all their stores, and change their management and FOH/BOH workflow, all while marketing this as a "change for the better". Then shut down a couple of stores for not performing at 400% of expected earnings, then cut wages again. Then just shut everything down because no one needs mid-tier pizza chains.

Chain restaurants, especially small regional chains, die a slow painful death and they take everyone they can with them. Screaming in horror, if at all possible.

Edit: Sorry, I misread. They'll close 15 stores, move the "good" employees (maybe two managers and a few cleaning crews on contract) to open stores. They have a lot of wiggle room with that "substantially" bit there. Basically they can claim to retain a lot of employees by making them quit via low wages and hours.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Apr 17, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently The Bon-Ton (regional department store) is shutting all stores

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently The Bon-Ton (regional department store) is shutting all stores

Yep, all Herberger's in Minnesota are closing due to this. Herberger's is one of the anchor stores in several malls in the Twin Cities metro area so I'm curious to see how that goes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The only reason I've even heard of The Bon-Ton is apparently it seems like all of the dead malls that Dan Bell covers on his YouTube show in the north seem to have one of them, or previously did. I've never been in one.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only reason I've even heard of The Bon-Ton is apparently it seems like all of the dead malls that Dan Bell covers on his YouTube show in the north seem to have one of them, or previously did. I've never been in one.

Same here, but that's understandable. I'm guessing it's a regional chain like Belk.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/nathanbomey/status/988395606031962112?s=21

Lampert begins the next stage of the decline of Sears

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

A person I know still works for sears because they think theyll get their pension and aaayyyyy lmao.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I always figured Lampert was playing this long game because the real estate typically has 99-year fixed rate leases from when Sears first set up shop on these plots. Is that an accurate assumption?

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I always figured Lampert was playing this long game because the real estate typically has 99-year fixed rate leases from when Sears first set up shop on these plots. Is that an accurate assumption?

Kinda but not really. By most accounts he and his hedge fund have lost money due to Sears. He may be skimming a bit off the top at the expense of Sears and its shareholders but overall it's been a net loss. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/business/edward-lampert-sears-kmart.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

From what I have read the property is the main asset the company has left. I’m sure it would be good for him if he became the owner of it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I got an email that Flickr has been sold to something called SmugBug. I guess Verizon is starting to get rid of stuff that Yahoo bought up.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Bonzo posted:

I got an email that Flickr has been sold to something called SmugBug. I guess Verizon is starting to get rid of stuff that Yahoo bought up.

Flickr users seem pretty pleased, because Smugmug is actually a photo site and favoured by pros and pro-wannabes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Same here, but that's understandable. I'm guessing it's a regional chain like Belk.

Yup. The HQ is in (well, was in now) York, PA and it had 267 stores. Not nationwide by any means.

FlamingLiberal posted:

And yeah that's why. In these parts we have a poo poo load of interesting abandoned stuff because, you know, Rust Belt. Given that things have been economically bad for a pretty long time already it's a good area to go after urban decay. poo poo has been on the decline for decades so we have a lot of abandoned malls. It doesn't help that people keep building new malls here anyway.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

divabot posted:

Flickr users seem pretty pleased, because Smugmug is actually a photo site and favoured by pros and pro-wannabes.

How many awards did Flickr users give to this decision?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Gibson has officially filed for Bankruptcy

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-01/gibson-files-for-bankruptcy-with-deal-to-renew-guitar-business

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally, that took a while.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Cambridge Analytica: Facebook data-harvest firm to shut

quote:

Clarence Mitchell, a spokesman for Cambridge Analytica, referred the BBC to a statement on the firm's website.

"Over the past several months, Cambridge Analytica has been the subject of numerous unfounded accusations and, despite the company's efforts to correct the record, has been vilified for activities that are not only legal, but also widely accepted as a standard component of online advertising in both the political and commercial arenas," it said.

"Despite Cambridge Analytica's unwavering confidence that its employees have acted ethically and lawfully... the siege of media coverage has driven away virtually all of the company's customers and suppliers.

"As a result, it has been determined that it is no longer viable to continue operating the business."

The statement added that its parent company SCL Elections was also commencing bankruptcy proceedings.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I bet they just re-brand.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Bonzo posted:

It will be a completely different company under layers of different shell companies with the same people behind it. The value in a political dirty tricks consultancy is not standing out on a bank statement.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I bet they will be called
*consults tea leaves and goat bones*
Emerdata Limited.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I hope their new name is something LotR related, like Palantir.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

I hope their new name is something LotR related, like Palantir.

I know you're joking but that's already a real company.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Shelob data has a nice ring to it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Angmar Datanalysis has a nice ring.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Their recruiting event at my uni got protested because they were collecting tons of data from poo poo like Facebook for identifying and reporting potential illegal immigrants to ICE.

There’s been a bunch of other shady data gathering stuff from them too since lmao. Guess the name is accurate!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

pangstrom posted:

I bet they will be called
*consults tea leaves and goat bones*
Emerdata Limited.

:emptyquote:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/02/cambridge_analytica_shutdown/

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Don Gato posted:

Yes, I know, I was referencing them directly. I sincerely want more LotR named data companies because I am a huge nerd.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

FilthyImp posted:

Angmar Datanalysis has a nice ring.

That's a cool word, I like it.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
duh TAN uh LY sis

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Bonzo posted:

And they did https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/02/cambridge_analytica_shutdown/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

These abrieviations are killing it.

The surprise announcement came on Wednesday evening, when the UK-based Cambridge Anal., and its parent organization SCL Elections, stated it would enter insolvency proceedings and disband immediately.

The announcement came after Cambridge Anal. found itself at the center of a political firestorm when a former staffer blew the whistle on a data-harvesting campaign that had covertly collected the personal information on more than 87 million Facebook users.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"What you're mad about is completely legal!"

Oh okay. I'll stop being mad then.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

"What you're mad about is completely legal!"

Oh okay. I'll stop being mad then.

I don't know why but I'm suddenly reminded of "he's the kind of person who made his fortune making unregulated businesses become regulated."

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

GameStop CEO Abruptly Steps Down After Three Months on Job

quote:

GameStop Corp. Chief Executive Officer Michael Mauler abruptly stepped down after just three months on the job, bringing fresh upheaval to a retailer that’s struggling to revive growth.

The board appointed Daniel DeMatteo, GameStop’s 70-year-old co-founder, to run the business while it searches for a new leader. Mauler resigned for personal reasons, the company said.

Mauler’s quick exit follows another shake-up in February, when the company fired two high-ranking executives: Chief Operating Officer Tony Bartel and Executive Vice President Michael Hogan. GameStop disappointed investors with its profit outlook earlier this year, extending a long slump for the stock. The shares fell anew on Friday after the CEO change, tumbling as much as 4.3 percent to $12.47.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I guess stuffing the front of the store with t-shirts, funco pops, and waifu figurines and shuffling all the games half-assedly to the back was a bad strategy. Who'd have thunk?

I wonder if they offer protection plans for the Guy Fieri funco tchotchkes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

I guess stuffing the front of the store with t-shirts, funco pops, and waifu figurines and shuffling all the games half-assedly to the back was a bad strategy. Who'd have thunk?

Their used game shenanigans also did very little to make people like them.

Hmm yes you have 37 games, one of which is rare, and four of which are in high demand. We'll give you $5 Of store credit then sell them all for 90% of retail. Have a nice day!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

BloodBag posted:

I can't imagine building a reputation for being the company that will offer you $6 for a complete set of SNES cartridges did them any favors.

Yawgmoth has a new favorite as of 18:35 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Moviepass is hemorrhaging money. Speaking as someone who has a moviepass, I'm not surprised at all. I'm honestly surprised it's lasted this long.