Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

cigaw posted:

I thought Imoen was the only companion that stuck with you no matter what happened to your reputation! Pretty sure (80%-ish?) she never left me even when tanking rep down to 1.
Yeah. I made a mistake in Candlekeep when I went back and got caught stealing. I hadn't been caught before so I just killed the guard (I had 49k gold on me, I wasn't going to give it all up), got the 10 rep hit and said gently caress it and decided to roll with it. When I got back to BG and killed the guards there, and got a 10 hit and 2 hit, respectively. I think I was at 20, so I guess the negatives is when they leave.

I'm on the final run to Sarevok. I'm about to head underneath the thieves guild hideout in pursuit, BUT FIRST: Durlag's tower. It's funny because I've known the big twist for years despite having never having gotten this far, but I'm really entertained by the journey it takes to get there. I had no idea about hauling the duke's body through the streets of Baldur's Gate while dodging guards and getting accosted by all sorts of people with little nuggets of information. I used the wand of paralyzation idea and it worked wonders.

I doubt this is the case, but I won't be hosed by ignoring Sarevok's fleeing and just adventure for a while, right? That's not some sort of timer? Also, my party is level 6-7 - what's the xp cap for BG? I'm going to take on Durlag's, then do one big shopping trip to buy all the buff potions and stuff I want before heading down to Sarevok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
You can go adventuring for as long as you please. Sarevok will patiently wait for you to show up, Supervillain-style.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Lucas Archer posted:

I doubt this is the case, but I won't be hosed by ignoring Sarevok's fleeing and just adventure for a while, right? That's not some sort of timer? Also, my party is level 6-7 - what's the xp cap for BG? I'm going to take on Durlag's, then do one big shopping trip to buy all the buff potions and stuff I want before heading down to Sarevok.

With Tales of the Sword Coast, the XP cap is 161,000xp.

What's the best way to play a Fighter/Mage in early BG1? I chose Elf so I'm assuming longbows are the order of the day until I've got a stock of HP / magic that will let me survive as an off-tank.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 20, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Vanilla Sarevok isn't actually that hard, you probably won't need all those potions.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Zeerust posted:

What's the best way to play a Fighter/Mage in early BG1? I chose Elf so I'm assuming longbows are the order of the day until I've got a stock of HP / magic that will let me survive as an off-tank.
You kinda split your time between being a Fighter and a Mage early on, yeah.
F/Ms are the strongest characters at level 1 because they can cast Sleep and shoot a bow, so the best way to play them is as a regular Fighter that occasionally drops their armor to cast Sleep.
They turn into great tanks later on, but in the early game they don't have the spells, HP or gear for it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

KKKLIP ART posted:

So this is maybe a longshot, but is there a way to export the Steam BG:EE saves with Big World Recommended and transfer them to a GoG version? I have a gift thing for BG1&2 with Dragonspear, which I dont have on my steam version. Is it as simple as copying the saves, installing the GoG version, running the big world script, then dropping the saves back?

abit late and you may have already found out but your modded stuff will have its text messed up since your old saves still think the text reference is based on your old install, the main game (i am assuming you mean bg:ee gog version and not the original) will be fine tho.

i suppose you could actually copy over your dialog.tlk file from the modded steam version into the modded gog version, so long as you dont change anything else i think it should work fine then.

edit: oh wait, just realized no dragonspear on the steam version... yeah its not gonna work right. best to restart.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

abit late and you may have already found out but your modded stuff will have its text messed up since your old saves still think the text reference is based on your old install, the main game (i am assuming you mean bg:ee gog version and not the original) will be fine tho.

i suppose you could actually copy over your dialog.tlk file from the modded steam version into the modded gog version, so long as you dont change anything else i think it should work fine then.

edit: oh wait, just realized no dragonspear on the steam version... yeah its not gonna work right. best to restart.

I moved my whole thing over and it seems to have worked fine. If I run into anything funky, my plan was to just restart anyway, but so far so good.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
The first level of Durlag's was fun, and full of loot. Holy crap, a lot of loot. I had to come back 3 times to get everything. The warden fight gave me some serious problems until I remembered I had some wands of monster summoning. That kept the melee guys busy while I killed the mage, and then it was a foregone conclusion.

Now I'm on the second floor and I'm trying to figure out these doors. I've been able to get this far without looking at a walkthrough, and I'm going to continue that streak if it kills me. Traps, traps, and more traps. I have Coran and Imoen on constant trap duty.

Edit: Oh yeah, this is something that's bugged me forever but never though to ask others about. What's the deal with the journal in BG:EE? It pops up stuff all the time, with tiny little letters, and when I click on it or open my journal other times, I can never find any of the information. Quests that I think are done update at seemingly random intervals and quests I thought I was on disappear from the log (and I have checked the previous chapter tabs to look). It's really annoying.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 20, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

some of the shopkeepers in EET have a 0 gold item with blank / random character names

is this for a script or something

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Zeerust posted:

Elf is good because longbows reign supreme in BG1 and longswords are basically always good, but that -Con can be suffering. It's better then half-elf by far.

That said? The best overall is actually gnome, who can even specialize and still multiclass, gets a bonus to their prime stat (and a penalty they don't give a poo poo about), and shorty saves.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Durlag's Tower status: conquered. I'll be honest and admit I didn't do a full clear of the third level (the one with the invisible enemies in the green section of the map). After encountering two of them, who continually backstabbed Coran until he was almost dead, and they kept going invisible, I just rushed through it and avoided any exploration. Even with invisibility purge, they were able to disappear again in a few seconds before I could melt them down. So that was tough.

I'll also admit: totally cheesed the chess match. If/when I want to try it legit again, I did make a save right beforehand. As it was, fireball, fireball, fireball, moving on.

The final boss gave me such a hard time. I was super low on carrying space at this point so I wanted to make it through without any deaths so I wouldn't have to figure out a way to carry a bunch of extra equipment on me. It must have taken me 10 tries or so. I could kill him, but not without him taking out Ajantis or Branwen along with the way. I ended up buffing the poo poo out Ajantis, sending him down solo for the boss to focus on, and just pelting the boss with magic from afar. It took a bit to get through his resistance, but finally finally he went down.

I guess all that's really left is the thieves maze and Sarevok! I'm going to do a final tour of the Sword Coast, stopping by merchants to buy anything I think might be useful (60K+ gold right now) and picking up a couple of tomes I haven't collected yet. I'm really looking forward to putting this game down - and porting my character to BG2. First time I'll have ever done that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Did you take the quest item dagger back to Ulgoths Beard yet?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
There's a quest item dagger that needs to go to Ulgoth's Beard?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So I'm playing through SOD for the first time and not really enjoying it so far. Its a shame because the story, characters, writing etc has been great so far but the combat is really dragging. They seem to have upped the difficulty mostly by just doubling or tripling the number of trash enemies per pack that they throw at you compared to BG1 and it makes progression way more tedious. The actual boss/climatic fights are good because of the improved scripting but having to wade through packs of 15-20 trash mobs at a time along the way sucks.

OTOH I find myself using different spells as a result, which is a plus I guess.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I normally do a thief/mage or fighter/thief combo but I want to try something a bit different. What I know that any class is technically viable, but any of the new kits especially interesting?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lucas Archer posted:

Durlag's Tower status: conquered. I'll be honest and admit I didn't do a full clear of the third level (the one with the invisible enemies in the green section of the map). After encountering two of them, who continually backstabbed Coran until he was almost dead, and they kept going invisible, I just rushed through it and avoided any exploration. Even with invisibility purge, they were able to disappear again in a few seconds before I could melt them down. So that was tough.

Glitterdust.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

There's a quest item dagger that needs to go to Ulgoth's Beard?
The dorf at the tavern in Ulgoth's Beard asks you to go to Durlag's to retrieve the Soultaker Dagger (Demon Knight drops it). You gotta bring it back to him.

Also, seconding the glitterdust recommendation for pesky hiding enemies.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

cigaw posted:

The dorf at the tavern in Ulgoth's Beard asks you to go to Durlag's to retrieve the Soultaker Dagger (Demon Knight drops it). You gotta bring it back to him.

Welp. I had the quest, and I don't have the dagger on me. I checked all the merchants I sold too after leaving Durlag's and they didn't have it. I trekked back down to the bottom of Durlag's and it wasn't in the room. Maybe because I didn't break the mirror during the fight? I was waiting for shadow guys to spawn based on what the npc in the room before said, but it never triggered.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m curious if anyone else plays these games like I do: every time I play I clear the black in every area and do every quest I can find, no matter how many times I’ve played the IE games. Anyone else do that?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I’m curious if anyone else plays these games like I do: every time I play I clear the black in every area and do every quest I can find, no matter how many times I’ve played the IE games. Anyone else do that?

Oh yeah. Very much so. This is part of the reason BG1 is such a slog to me. First there is endless wilderniss and then i have to check each house in a 8 zone city.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Unpopular opinion time: I really like the shaman class they added. I prefer sorcerer style casting anyway, and I think it works perfectly with healers so you don't waste spell slots on heals if you don't need them. The shaman-only spells are great too. Their spirit dance is crap but at least the summons hit as magical +6 weapons so they can hit anything in the game.

In most parties I'd definitely rate them above a single class druid or cleric, other than maybe the lathander kit.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mechanically they're not bad, but the spirit dance is really disappointing. If the spirits could be summoned more reliably in the first round, they could be useful for controlling tight spaces, but as it is, the ability is too unreliable.

I forget which edition of d&d let you convert any spell slot into an equivalent healing spell. That was pretty great, and let healers do cool poo poo without worrying overly much about running out of healing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Mechanically they're not bad, but the spirit dance is really disappointing. If the spirits could be summoned more reliably in the first round, they could be useful for controlling tight spaces, but as it is, the ability is too unreliable.

I forget which edition of d&d let you convert any spell slot into an equivalent healing spell. That was pretty great, and let healers do cool poo poo without worrying overly much about running out of healing.

That was third edition (where they decided to change clerics from the class some one plays because everyone else called dibs on everything else to the best class in the game), but I don't know if it was included in any video game version of it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Skwirl posted:

That was third edition (where they decided to change clerics from the class some one plays because everyone else called dibs on everything else to the best class in the game), but I don't know if it was included in any video game version of it.

Neverwinter Nights 2 had spontaneous conversion for clerics and druids.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
e:nevermind

Node fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 22, 2018

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't tried the shaman yet; can you not summon spirits first, and then pull enemies with the rest of your party?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

I haven't tried the shaman yet; can you not summon spirits first, and then pull enemies with the rest of your party?

You can but you can't control the spirits, they can't leave the shaman's line of sight, and they disappear as soon as the shaman moves or otherwise stops the dance.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

bike tory posted:

You can but you can't control the spirits, they can't leave the shaman's line of sight, and they disappear as soon as the shaman moves or otherwise stops the dance.

Right so instead of dancing torch them with spells and just forget about the terrible dancing. They are maybe not as good as a single class cleric though. But admittedly having sorcerer numbers of insect swarms sounds kind of good. And do they get truesight in the spell list?

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Washout posted:

Right so instead of dancing torch them with spells and just forget about the terrible dancing. They are maybe not as good as a single class cleric though. But admittedly having sorcerer numbers of insect swarms sounds kind of good. And do they get truesight in the spell list?

I think they do but they also get points to the Detect Illusion ability of thieves which can be really handy.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Any tips on killing the big mob at the bottom of Watcher's Keep, the last seal? With the marilith, beholder and that forking archer monstrosity. My party's CHARNAME berserk/druid, Korgan, Sarevok, Viconia, Edwin, Imoen. My previous strategy through SoA and ToB of "punch things until they're dead" doesn't seem to be working here :(

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I played through BG1 a while back with a shaman as my party's only divine caster (other characters: three bards of various flavors, a shadowdancer, and a dwarven defender, otherwise known as HIDE BEHIND THAT GUY) and it honestly went all right. Early days sucked, especially without any sort of Remove Fear spell til my bards leveled up, but some of the later shaman-only spells were quite nice.

I never found the spirit dance to be useful though.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

docbeard posted:

without any sort of Remove Fear spell til my bards leveled up

Didn't you get the Remove Fear effect from the regular Bard's Song?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I went to Balduran's island to see what was there, and compared to Durlag's, I didn't have too much difficulty. I guessed the twist pretty early on (not that the game was trying to really keep it a secret), but I'm curious: If I hadn't gone straight back to the wizard and killed him, would my party have turned into werewolves eventually? They mentioned we were infected, but I don't know if that was just story or if had actual gameplay implications.

And with that, I hit the level cap. Time to make my way through the thieves maze and confront Sarevok.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Lucas Archer posted:

I went to Balduran's island to see what was there, and compared to Durlag's, I didn't have too much difficulty. I guessed the twist pretty early on (not that the game was trying to really keep it a secret), but I'm curious: If I hadn't gone straight back to the wizard and killed him, would my party have turned into werewolves eventually? They mentioned we were infected, but I don't know if that was just story or if had actual gameplay implications.

And with that, I hit the level cap. Time to make my way through the thieves maze and confront Sarevok.

Yes, much like the poison quest in Baldurs Gate itself this is on a timer and will kill you eventually.

[edit]

The timer is super lenient though I've not actually run into it without trying.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 22, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Any tips on killing the big mob at the bottom of Watcher's Keep, the last seal? With the marilith, beholder and that forking archer monstrosity. My party's CHARNAME berserk/druid, Korgan, Sarevok, Viconia, Edwin, Imoen. My previous strategy through SoA and ToB of "punch things until they're dead" doesn't seem to be working here :(

That's the hardest fight in the game, in my opinion, so don't feel bad if it's kicking your rear end. Juat make sure you're well prepared. Your mages will be super powerful by that stage in the game, so use all their tricks - summon a Planetar, set up a chain contingency on both with three Abi dalzim's horrid Wilting in it set to go off when an enemy is sighted so it'll pop as soon as the enemies spawn, summon Mordenkainens swords to tank the enemies and position them where the enemies spawn, figure out which one is giving you the most trouble and focus fire with any of your meleers who aren't tanking/spam implosion with Viconia.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Shaman in IWD:EE? the messed up leveling might be worth it just for the improved druid spells

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ulvino posted:

Didn't you get the Remove Fear effect from the regular Bard's Song?

I did, but at the time I thought the bard song did something different so I didn't realize it, haha.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

No one told me EE now supports offhand equipping when other gear slots have two-handers, or that casters can target concealed friendly units.

God I remember when ppl were claiming that the EEs couldn’t hold a candle to Tutu

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basic Chunnel posted:

or that casters can target concealed friendly units.

I think they still can't. At least not in BG2:EE.

The first improvement you mentioned is really nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

All they need to do now is figure out some way to let resurrected party members retain their inventories