Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yup that’s pretty much the GoW “thing”. Insane set pieces and epic battles against gods and monsters. It would be a little rough going back but I think it’s worth grabbing GoW 3 later on if you want a taste of the old games. They’re super fun but you’ll be amazed how much they improved Kratos and the entire story.

I admit to dismissing this at first because the previous ones gave me the impression that it's mostly a fighting game with orgies and little story, so while there's nothing wrong with that, it's not really my thing. This is actually an impulse buy after the glowing reviews and that video of the game director who seems to be so obviously passionate and involved. But I'm glad I took a chance on this, loving everything so far. The gorgeous art direction, storyline, Norse mythology and combat is extremely my poo poo and I'm having a blast. It reminds me of The Last of Us and The Witcher in many ways which were my GOTYs. So they've got a new fan and while I might not have the time to go back and play the older ones, definitely now looking forward to hopefully many future sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Noirex posted:

I admit to dismissing this at first because the previous ones gave me the impression that it's mostly a fighting game with orgies and little story,.

In all fairness that's pretty much what it was.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I made it to the top of the volcano last night and holy poo poo that Valkyrie is pushing my poo poo in. . I think the best I did was knock 2 bars off her health pool and I'm playing on normal. Is this a situation where I'm under leveled/under geared or do I need to get gud?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Noirex posted:

I admit to dismissing this at first because the previous ones gave me the impression that it's mostly a fighting game with orgies and little story, so while there's nothing wrong with that, it's not really my thing. This is actually an impulse buy after the glowing reviews and that video of the game director who seems to be so obviously passionate and involved. But I'm glad I took a chance on this, loving everything so far. The gorgeous art direction, storyline, Norse mythology and combat is extremely my poo poo and I'm having a blast. It reminds me of The Last of Us and The Witcher in many ways which were my GOTYs. So they've got a new fan and while I might not have the time to go back and play the older ones, definitely now looking forward to hopefully many future sequels.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/19

This is how the GoW series always was.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

In all fairness that's pretty much what it was.

God of War: "heck yeah, blood and gore and implied sex!!!"

God of War 2: "BLOOD and naked titties!!!"

That stupid Dante's Inferno game: "making GBS threads nipples vomit out aborted babies while you fight a pair of tits on top of a huge penis!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

God of War 3: ".... there's a really good story to our games, please don't associate us with THAT."

God of War (2018): "BOY"

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I summoned the squirrel.

GOTY

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Has anyone found anything that deals actual damage in GMGOW difficulty? I'm trying to do some mid/late game optional stuff and the HP pools are just absurd considering the enemies one or two shot me.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Noirex posted:

If you bookmarked the free Bloodborne a month or so back for PS+, fire that up after you finish GoW. It's basically these epic battles but you can temporarily summon other players randomly into your game to help you fight the badass bosses then they disappear when you beat them. Something I really really really really wish this game had, because then it would be close to perfection and I'd have no problem scaling the difficulty back up.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is any collectible/cheevo missable?

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Ok, I'd digging the classic control setting a lot better. Makes melee feel a bit snappier.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Just finished the game.

In my journey I have found places that seems post-game activities:

Killing the valkieries, their vaults position unlock after compliting the game. Tough enemies.
The lava world arenas
The mist world randomly generated dungeon

End-game seems to be a gear grind.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

How do I get back ontop of the Mountain? I forgot a Cipher up there and I am pretty sure I took a doorway out like a dum dum.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This game is ultra frustrating me and I really want to like it. It just seems to be poorly written story wise and a lot of the combat feels unsatisfying to outright bad so far and I'm wondering if I'm just going crazy here or if a ending plot twist I'm kind of predicting is going to happen and it'll make more sense in context.

Story Wise this just does not feel like Kratos. I know people change and it's been a untold amount of years but he's just so mellow that it's hard for me to think he's the same dude from GoW 1-3 (for better or worse). Woman comes running out of the woods yelling about how YOU MUST SAVE MY PIG FRIEND and having Kratos go "yeah okay" no questions asked is just "???" I also find the BOY just... baffling I guess?
Like Kratos and BOY are climbing a mountain to spread his wifes ashes but we aren't told anything about him or his mom. At first I was fine with this but as the game progresses on BOY keeps mentioning "Oh yeah mom taught me this, mom brought me here, mom did x" which makes me wonder what the hell Kratos was doing during all this. Like it's implied he lived with them in the intro so him being clueless as to his wife and sons relationship just comes off as a hokey way to justify BOY getting to read runes and the like.
Kratos has spent years living here and he doesn't know ANYTHING about the world he's in? Really?

This is speculation but the only thing that could justify it is that it's not his son and wife and BOY is Loki loving with him and making him think he's been around for years. I noticed that he has the same unusually bright blue eyes that maybe-baldur has and it's been bugging me ever since that first boss fight.

Combat wise I really loved how meaty and satisfying the combos against the not-zombies are but it feels like literally everything else either
A) Has super armor and doesn't react to being hit at all. Can just decide to hit you in the middle of a combo for literally no reason.
B) After two hits the enemy flies a few feet away at mach speed while invincible just to force you to chase it down
C) Has a lovely poorly telegraphed attack that you really can't get away from or block unless you decide to chip a enemy to death (Trolls stomping)

I want to like this game because it feels cool enough just... it's kind of floundering in some regards to me.
Also the games violence seems hyper toned down so far. Due to the whole lacking blood thing when I stomp a monsters head it just looks like powerade is shooting out

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Me playing this game so far:

Hour 1: So you are a 10/10. Hello 10/10, let's have a lot of fun together. I heard great things about you
Hour 2: Hmm, so where are you from that they call you a 10/10? Yeah? Just asking, you know, over here, the bureaucracy's a bitch and you can't get those titles that easily
Hour 3: You are no 10/10....your government lied to you, they paid people to make you a 10/10. Also you are loving hard. Not Dark Souls hard in a way, but "this is stupid" hard hard
Hour 5: Well, I'll give you that, your combat flows nicely, and the difficulty is okay I guess....you ARE a lot of fun
Hour 10: gently caress that, you go to eleven, you are 11/10, I am unworthy of playing you!!!

....but gently caress that boy!!!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
With the first three difficulty levels, there is no difference between XP progression, loot, etc., it’s just affects the enemy damage and resists?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the dwarves rule, best part of the game

combat is fun as long as you get some OP spells and buffs and stay reasonably high level (it took me ages to figure out your level is based on gearlevel and gems) I went to the first bonus realm you get access to quite early on and got my rear end handed to me but managed to make the axe shaft and one of the spells and it carried me through a lot of poo poo

the valkyrie bonus bosses seem pretty cool, though I've only beat one so far. it was a proper bossfight where i needed to learn how to respond to patterns, though i think its kinda bullshit they cant be stunned

the first plot boss battle didnt wow me as much as everyone else, but the second time you fight was great

e: normal seems a good difficulty so far, i think the laser golems are bullshit but everything else has been reasonably fair

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Here is what you do right now. Go to Settings and put your HUD on Custom and turn everything off you can stand and put everything else on Touch.

Now you have no HUD. If you slide your finger over the touchpad you get your HUD back for about 5 seconds.

The game gives vocal/visual cues for almost everything - the BOY tells you about incoming back attacks about as well as the indicators. You still get a red ring when an enemy can be grabbed. Your get dimmed vision when you're in red hit points.

I might turn enemy health bars back on but otherwise it's a lot of fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Story Wise this just does not feel like Kratos. I know people change and it's been a untold amount of years but he's just so mellow that it's hard for me to think he's the same dude from GoW 1-3 (for better or worse). Woman comes running out of the woods yelling about how YOU MUST SAVE MY PIG FRIEND and having Kratos go "yeah okay" no questions asked is just "???" I also find the BOY just... baffling I guess?
Like Kratos and BOY are climbing a mountain to spread his wifes ashes but we aren't told anything about him or his mom. At first I was fine with this but as the game progresses on BOY keeps mentioning "Oh yeah mom taught me this, mom brought me here, mom did x" which makes me wonder what the hell Kratos was doing during all this. Like it's implied he lived with them in the intro so him being clueless as to his wife and sons relationship just comes off as a hokey way to justify BOY getting to read runes and the like.
Kratos has spent years living here and he doesn't know ANYTHING about the world he's in? Really?

It's almost like you haven't gotten the full story after 2 hours in a 30-50 hour game and some of these questions are addressed over the course of the next 48 hours.

Combat-wise I dunno what to tell you, it's good.

Edit: although I do agree with you that some of the stuff Kratos does is so out of character that it doesn't really feel like the same guy sometimes.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 22, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Note for people after opening the first Chamber of Odin: Get good at parrying, it's much easier than you think. I died maybe 20 times on the boss in there because I wasn't blocking at all because most of her attacks were yellow (stagger on block) but once I got the parry timing down I got it within a few attempts.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

veni veni veni posted:

It's almost like you haven't gotten the full story after 2 hours in a 30-50 hour game and some of these questions are addressed over the course of the next 48 hours.

Combat-wise I dunno what to tell you, it's good.

Game starts and asks me to care about Kratos's son, then makes no effort to explain what their relationship even was so why should I care?

It can get answered down the road but right now this doesn't even feel like his kid, it's literally just some excited child following me

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh my loving god the (mountain journey spoiler) dragon boss was the most epic fight I’ve ever had in a game. I don’t really react strongly to games in a physical way but when it ended I was in a full dumb smile/jaw dropped state. How does it manage to keep one upping not only the rest of the game but the entire series full of insane battles.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dumb question but in the (early game) lake area I'm seeing quite a lot of stuff that I can't access/interact with. Am I just being dense and missing loads of stuff, or is there a lot of Metroidvania returning later on?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Game starts and asks me to care about Kratos's son, then makes no effort to explain what their relationship even was so why should I care?

It can get answered down the road but right now this doesn't even feel like his kid, it's literally just some excited child following me

All of that is pretty much the point and is expanded on throughout the game, at least up to the part I’m at.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It gets addressed shortly into the story that Kratos was largely absent in his sons life up until the mother died because he was always out questing around or whatever

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Steve2911 posted:

Dumb question but in the (early game) lake area I'm seeing quite a lot of stuff that I can't access/interact with. Am I just being dense and missing loads of stuff, or is there a lot of Metroidvania returning later on?

Suffice it to say, you'll be revisiting this area a lot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TLOU is one of my top games of all time but I honestly think this game does a significantly better and more convincing job of having your kid go from wimp to badass.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kind of messed up there's no cheevo for beating the game on GMGoW difficulty.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

what?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A+ new thread title.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just met the world serpent so maybe I'm not far in enough but literally every single line has been
Child: [excited about something]
Kratos: I don't know / I don't care

or

[child fucks something up]
Kratos: I can't believe you hosed that up I'm so let down now shut your mouth until I ask you to read runes for me because I don't know anything about the setting.

I'm not exactly feeling any attachment to this character no matter how many times Kratos stares at his trembling hand.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

idk maybe you're a sociopath

I'm not like super attached to the kid either, but I don't understand where you're coming from at all

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

fadam posted:

idk maybe you're a sociopath

I'm not like super attached to the kid either, but I don't understand where you're coming from at all

Lmao

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did your dad love you or something?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just met the world serpent so maybe I'm not far in enough but literally every single line has been
Child: [excited about something]
Kratos: I don't know / I don't care

or

[child fucks something up]
Kratos: I can't believe you hosed that up I'm so let down now shut your mouth until I ask you to read runes for me because I don't know anything about the setting.

I'm not exactly feeling any attachment to this character no matter how many times Kratos stares at his trembling hand.

You like just left the tutorial, basically. But yeah if you're not feeling their connection by then I'm not sure how much you'll be feeling it with more time under your belt. Maybe do the next big story beats up to the end of Alfheim? and if you're not feeling anything for them or their relationship by then this game probably isn't for you, storywise.

e: I personally think the game does a super great job contextualizing their relationship in little bits and pieces as you play, but if you're looking for bigger moments or them literally spelling out the relationship Kratos and BOY have then the build up and end of the Alfheim segment has the most of that I've seen so far

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 22, 2018

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

This is why every video game protagonist has amnesia

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

esperterra posted:

You like just left the tutorial, basically. But yeah if you're not feeling their connection by then I'm not sure how much you'll be feeling it with more time under your belt. Maybe do the next big story beats up to the end of Alfheim? and if you're not feeling anything for them or their relationship by then this game probably isn't for you, storywise.

e: I personally think the game does a super great job contextualizing their relationship in little bits and pieces as you play, but if you're looking for bigger moments or them literally spelling out the relationship Kratos and BOY have then the build up and end of the Alfheim segment has the most of that I've seen so far

It's not that I need it spelled out or anything, it's just Kratos feels really detached right now. He gets mad at protective but he never seems to be all that involved when he's actually interacting with him I guess. I never said I'd write it off completely or that there's no chance at all for him to grow on me but when the relationship is as murky as it is right now then I'm just left feeling kind of lukewarm.

I've seen comparisons to TLoU so going to use that, but it made a bit more sense there. Joel and Ellie had no idea about each other before they met and Joel starts off somewhat detached because he doesn't really know this kid at all. I really enjoyed seeing them bond and come together in that game because, while yes video game pacing aside, it felt kind of organic.
Kratos and his son, at the point I'm at now with the very little knowledge I have of the situation, feels like a Joel and Ellie situation at the start but it's just weird to me because they're supposed to be blood relatives that have been living together for years.

If it gets better then I'll welcome it and hell in retrospect be like "yeah alright it's fine" but right now? I'm just eh on a video game character.

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

this game sucks my rear end

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's not that I need it spelled out or anything, it's just Kratos feels really detached right now. He gets mad at protective but he never seems to be all that involved when he's actually interacting with him I guess. I never said I'd write it off completely or that there's no chance at all for him to grow on me but when the relationship is as murky as it is right now then I'm just left feeling kind of lukewarm.

I've seen comparisons to TLoU so going to use that, but it made a bit more sense there. Joel and Ellie had no idea about each other before they met and Joel starts off somewhat detached because he doesn't really know this kid at all. I really enjoyed seeing them bond and come together in that game because, while yes video game pacing aside, it felt kind of organic.
Kratos and his son, at the point I'm at now with the very little knowledge I have of the situation, feels like a Joel and Ellie situation at the start but it's just weird to me because they're supposed to be blood relatives that have been living together for years.

If it gets better then I'll welcome it and hell in retrospect be like "yeah alright it's fine" but right now? I'm just eh on a video game character.

Keep playing. They barely know each other when you start the game.

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Keep playing. They barely know each other when you start the game.

it absolutely does not get better

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you're having trouble with ringinh the bells for RUNE CHESTS

THROW AXE BEHIND BELL ONE

CASUALLY LINE UP NEXT SHOT

CALL AXE BACK TO YOU TO START

I swear, this is the easiest puzzle in the history of video games and every page someone complains about it.

There are some that are a lot harder than others, and notably many where this strategy can't be used (like the one where you have to hit the second and third bell while they're in motion, and one in Alfheim where you can't really throw the axe "behind" any of the bells).

I mean, I haven't been stuck on any because the timing window seems pretty generous, but any puzzle which requires reflexes is not "the easiest puzzle in the history of video games".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tough to read anything about this game without spoilers... How is it? Worth $60? All the changes to the game good or at least not bad?