Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

grack posted:

Oilers fans said that about Eberle and look how that turned out.

The Islanders were the worst team in the league for shots and goals allowed, so. I mean the oilers are bad for lots of reasons but it's not like they can't also be right about Eberle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who was reffing tonight?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

sup

bushwookie19
Apr 2, 2015

iospace posted:

Who was reffing tonight?

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/988172259293528065?s=19

Nobody.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TonyAndrock/status/988176535181058048?s=19

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Kimmo doing postgame on NBC is an unexpected treat

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
now gimme a Washington win for that Ghost/Werenski/Jones team US D.

I don't think Matthews will go but Toronto can lose too.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Couturier played with a torn MCL and said he'd have been out four weeks of this was the regular season.

Provorov reportedly played with a shoulder sprain.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

normally i'm kinda blind to figuring out who is playing injured but proverov must have had his arm popping in and out of the socket or something insane because he could literally not move the puck more than 20 feet by the end of the game

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

sedative posted:

Couturier played with a torn MCL and said he'd have been out four weeks of this was the regular season.

Provorov reportedly played with a shoulder sprain.

what the gently caress. I'm glad he has time to actually recover

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

sedative posted:

He had what, 5 points today? I want some of those drugs.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Koopa Kid posted:

The Islanders were the worst team in the league for shots and goals allowed, so. I mean the oilers are bad for lots of reasons but it's not like they can't also be right about Eberle.

The point was that it's really hard to replace a guy who consistently puts up points, even if he sucks at defense.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

More awards nominations

Lady Byng: Aleksander Barkov, William Karlsson, Ryan O'Reilly
Masterton: Brian Boyle, Roberto Luongo, Jordan Staal
Calder: Mathew Barzal, Brock Boeser, Clayton Keller

Barzal will win the Calder, I have literally no idea for the other two.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Kyle Connor got snubbed (again)

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I think it says more about that 2015 draft that guys like Connor and McAvoy aren't finalists and yet the people above them all deserve to be there too

Barzal is winning it regardless

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

grack posted:

The point was that it's really hard to replace a guy who consistently puts up points, even if he sucks at defense.

Yeah you obviously have to find a replacement that’s a net plus instead of hoping one of the Stromes works out because of bloodlines or w/e, guys like Eberle and JVR are definitely above replacement.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Blessed image

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Lost Season posted:

More awards nominations

Lady Byng: Aleksander Barkov, William Karlsson, Ryan O'Reilly
Masterton: Brian Boyle, Roberto Luongo, Jordan Staal
Calder: Mathew Barzal, Brock Boeser, Clayton Keller

Barzal will win the Calder, I have literally no idea for the other two.

Brian Boyle had leukemia, he's going to win

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iodised QQ posted:

I think it says more about that 2015 draft that guys like Connor and McAvoy aren't finalists and yet the people above them all deserve to be there too

Connor should probably be in over Keller.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

GG Avs

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Where the Avs fans at

With the turnaround your team had youre not allowed to wallow in misery

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I'm not. I'm proud of them. Between getting the youngest team, several first round picks, Cale Makar and Commit Timmins coming up on defense, and having a good bit of salary space, I'm pumped for the future.

Now if we could get a healthy goalie we'd be great.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Iodised QQ posted:

Keller and McAvoy were 2016, but yeah it's been a good couple of years.

Aphrodite posted:

Connor should probably be in over Keller.

Keller was better than a point-per-game over the final month, which probably why he got in over Connor.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

LumpyGumby posted:

I'm not. I'm proud of them. Between getting the youngest team, several first round picks, Cale Makar and Commit Timmins coming up on defense, and having a good bit of salary space, I'm pumped for the future.

48 points to the playoffs is a hell of an improvement. Good series.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I forgot about Makar. How was his season?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I forgot about Makar. How was his season?

He was pretty solid for a bad UMass team. He's going back for his Sophomore year then pro most likely.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
bad and umass are redundant

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

UMass looked like a halfway decent team with Makar on the ice

When Makar was off the ice, UMass looked like UMass

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
*clears throat*

...unmmm....uhh...

Fire Hakstol!

also, Aves fans, you have a lot to be proud of, I missed today’s game, but the first 5 games made me sweat as a Preds fan.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I didn't get a chance to watch the game (mainly because I misread the start time, thought it was 7pm MST :downs:) but I checked the score in the 3rd period and was just like "ouch, well that happened the last 2 times we were in the playoffs too"

Honestly we took it to 6 and I was afraid we were gonna get swept or lose in 5 and MacKinnon and Rantanen are great so I'm gonna happily watch games again next season :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LumpyGumby posted:

Not to mention that you guys, except game 6, gave the Preds a drat good run for their money. Game 2 and Game 5 were probably peak playoff hockey without it going to OT.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Avalanches are hella fun, they're the fastest and arguably most enthusiastic team in the league

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

Avalanches are hella fun, they're the fastest and arguably most enthusiastic team in the league

Sure, but they were the young up and coming team four years ago before they crashed back to earth. I don't think we've seen enough from them to say that this is a trend upwards as opposed to a random blip that brought them back to the playoffs. Essentially all of their top scorers had a career year this year. A season where they had a strong second half after being well underwater for most of the first doesn't mean a lot, they're essentially unchanged from bottoming out in 2016/17 except for MacKinnon suddenly finding the wind. I'd say there's a decent chance they miss the playoffs by a fair margin again next year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah, even if they get a healthy Varlamov (ha ha) and Makar decides to go pro, the roster is basically unchanged from both their success this year and being absolute garbage the year before. I think MacKinnon and Rantanen are elite players but I don't know that they replicate the success they had this year - it's really hard to do for even the best players.

It'll be interesting to see what they do in the offseason. They have a good amount of cap space, might be worth it to them to go for some forwards to help shore up the depth in the middle six like Riley Nash or JVR.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I took a look at the draft lottery simulator for the first time this year and Edmonton won the first sim and i'm never touching that button again

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
https://twitter.com/MrMadhawk/status/988106427343491072?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/yolo_pinyato/status/988432824498819078

lmao :discourse:

• Locked thread