Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo yessss not even sad I read that spoiler

How close am I to that happening if I’m headed back to the Witch after getting to the top of the mountain and snatching Mimir’s head?

About another hour, maybe less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can already tell finding all the Ravens is gonna be loving miserable, unless they're cumulative across all playthroughs

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
For some reason i didn’t realize I could do side objectives until the dwarves gave me one after I finished the dark/light elves area and poo poo this game is humongous. Easily my GOTY

Until red dead comes out

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

precision posted:

I can already tell finding all the Ravens is gonna be loving miserable, unless they're cumulative across all playthroughs

Yea that’s the one collectible I immediately was out on. If I run across them fine but I’m not hunting them without a guide at least

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So does the kid lose the ability to light up blue crystals when he gets the ability to get rid of the red crap? Or am I missing something?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

So does the kid lose the ability to light up blue crystals when he gets the ability to get rid of the red crap? Or am I missing something?

Press up on the D pad to switch his arrow type

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

IceOrb posted:

About another hour, maybe less.

Niiiiice I know what I’m doing this evening!

veni veni veni posted:

Up on the D-Pad switches between them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mandrel posted:

Press up on the D pad to switch his arrow type

Slick. Thanks

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

nessin posted:

Maybe you can get behind the dad/son theme and it connects with you as some have noted. If that is true, I'd say please call CPS and turn yourselves in.

:stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One would have to be blissfully ignorant to think that anything Kratos does would even make CPS bat an eyelash.

They're too busy taking kids away from single moms who are legitimately trying their best but forgot to throw away an empty liquor bottle and didn't lock their bathroom medicine cabinet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kratos may be a deadbeat dad but he did well surrounding himself with the Norse pantheon, who sure ain't winning any parenting awards by comparison.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
purple enemies do not gently caress around, but im going to kill this heavy draugur

red attacks can't be parried, i assume?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This game is so odd. The story is middling and obviously trying to chase that Last of Us Dad Theme, the combat is mediocre and takes too long to open up, or relies too much on the boy, and the characters are cliche and kinda obnoxious
But somehow it all comes together to form an actually pretty great game. Not a goty for me, but it’s pretty good.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

precision posted:

One would have to be blissfully ignorant to think that anything Kratos does would even make CPS bat an eyelash.

They're too busy taking kids away from single moms who are legitimately trying their best but forgot to throw away an empty liquor bottle and didn't lock their bathroom medicine cabinet.

That or you know actual physical and sexual abusive parents.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Something something more than the sum of its parts

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

purple enemies do not gently caress around, but im going to kill this heavy draugur

red attacks can't be parried, i assume?

Ya, red attacks require a dodge

I've realized that some yellow attacks are chained where you can only party 1 of 2, took me a while to realize it.

Fought my first Valkyrie tonight, that took a dozen or so tried but drat was it satisfying

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I imagine people who can’t wrap their heads around kratos and boy’s familial dynamic must’ve had Cool Fun Dads/are “my father is my hero” types

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mandrel posted:

I imagine people who can’t wrap their heads around kratos and boy’s familial dynamic must’ve had Cool Fun Dads/are “my father is my hero” types

I had a relatively great childhood and both of my parents love and support me to death but I still totally get it and relate heavily.

The themes of PTSD and masculinity are absolutely spot on.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Same.

I mean if you had a great caring loving supporting dad good for you sincerely but this is nothing approaching cps level abuse

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Kratos killed an entire pantheon of Gods, has lived for potentially hundreds of years, ascended, had it stripped and re-ascended Godhood, and literally started and ended the apocalypse over his lost wife and daughter.

I just don't get why he would be distant from his son that he has spent gently caress all time with until the game starts...

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I had an awesome dad but I still understand the story because I'm not an autistic robot and have empathy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After the Witch reveals who she is, she mentions something to Kratos and he gets kind of angry and says “you did not think it important to tell me” and she says something like “who are you to lecture me about that”

I missed what she said. Anyone know?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

After the Witch reveals who she is, she mentions something to Kratos and he gets kind of angry and says “you did not think it important to tell me” and she says something like “who are you to lecture me about that”

I missed what she said. Anyone know?

That's pretty much exactly what she says iirc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think we're ever supposed to interpret Kratos as #1 Dad, like the guy is clearly a jerk who didn't want the responsibility of actual parenthood thrust upon him, and now he's doing the best he can to keep it all together and only maybe kinda softly rip an ogre's face off instead of full-on decapitatiooooooooooooon.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think we're ever supposed to interpret Kratos as #1 Dad, like the guy is clearly a jerk who didn't want the responsibility of actual parenthood thrust upon him, and now he's doing the best he can to keep it all together and only maybe kinda softly rip an ogre's face off instead of full decapitatiooooooooooooon.

Yeah, I mean he could have abandoned the kid but he's pretty explicitly all about responsibility and duty so even though he doesn't know what he's doing, he can't just leave the boy.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

nessin posted:

Maybe you can get behind the dad/son theme and it connects with you as some have noted. If that is true, I'd say please call CPS and turn yourselves in. For me, Kratos comes off as the video game god equivalent of the angry drunk and borderline abusive dad with PTSD who thinks he's knows the one way to raise his kid and gently caress all other possible paths. Atreus does well with the angst filled young boy who just lost his mother and is dependent upon a dad who was never really home angle, but that doesn't make for a very compelling character and the rapid ping ponging he goes through near the end made him far more unlikable and annoying than anything else. His whole coming of age and finding himself takes place basically over the course of running through a single zone.

I would rather say if you can't get behind the relationship at all either you're not a especially empathetic person or you haven't been paying attention. Kratos was raised in Sparta. He would have been taken from his family at age 7 for essentially boarding school where he would be encouraged forget his family and give his loyalty to his new leaders and comrades. At age 12 would have moved into barracks and started full time training as a warrior. He would have been under an older warrior who likely took the job to support pederasty. He would have been starved to encourage him to steal food and then beaten horribly for doing so. At 12 he would be basically on his own and considered to be an adult. If Kratos's relationship with his parents had not been severed by age 7, it would have been by age 12. Atreus is maybe 10 or 11.

Kratos does not abuse his son. He is rough on him but fair. He spends most of his time teaching him. He's trying to make up for being absent and trying to connect. At the same time doesn't want him to know anything about his former life because of the road he feels that will put him on. Kratos wants to love his son, but he is afraid because anything he allows himself to feel strongly about is either taken from him or destroyed, sometimes (often) by himself. Even if he could connect with his son in a way we would consider loving, he's not sure he knows how and he fears finding that out. Remember him telling the story of the frog and the scorpion. Kratos believes he is the Scorpion. He pulls his hand back not because he does not want to love his son but because he does not want to doom him.

Also, the story is not bad. So far it's following two journeys of the hero. One of the important things about storytelling is the ultimate goal is not important and that in fact is just a signpost. On top of that carrying their mother's ashes is in an excellent narrative choice. It heightens their connection as father and son at every turn, it turns the conversation and the story naturally to the mother again and again, it gives every character they meet a reason to engage them and have an emotional reaction. It reminds you that Kratos, who finds spirits annoying, who claims to never help anybody, is doing this for his departed wife and only friend, not to help her soul rest, not to accomplish anything at all, but only because she asked. Everything Kratos tells his son during this quest is given the lie by the quest itself, and his son knows it. Atreus sees what his father is going through and what he's willing to do for a bag of bones and ash, and this is how he learns that his father loves, and loves with fierceness and loyalty. This is what guides his growth, and the conversations are him trying to get Kratos to admit it while being amazed that his dad doesn't know how transparent he really is.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I like when I hit the guys enough I can then tear the guys apart

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I always took Kratos' sternness with the BOY as him trying to raise him to not be a pussy that gets murdered by the numerous things in the world that want to kill him.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Araganzar posted:

I would rather say if you can't get behind the relationship at all either you're not a especially empathetic person or you haven't been paying attention.

Alternatively, you and several others took my statement as something other than what was said. I understand the character just fine. I like Kratos' character and he plays the role of dad that I'd think makes sense for him. I said if you connect with him, you've got problems. As in you're treating this story as more than the sum of its parts based on personal experience and association with his character. It was mostly as a response to someone who originally responded to my last comment many pages back about how they felt they were engaged with the storyline based on the fact that they've grown up with the God of War games and are becoming a parent now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Araganzar posted:

I would rather say if you can't get behind the relationship at all either you're not a especially empathetic person or you haven't been paying attention. Kratos was raised in Sparta. He would have been taken from his family at age 7 for essentially boarding school where he would be encouraged forget his family and give his loyalty to his new leaders and comrades. At age 12 would have moved into barracks and started full time training as a warrior. He would have been under an older warrior who likely took the job to support pederasty. He would have been starved to encourage him to steal food and then beaten horribly for doing so. At 12 he would be basically on his own and considered to be an adult. If Kratos's relationship with his parents had not been severed by age 7, it would have been by age 12. Atreus is maybe 10 or 11.

Kratos does not abuse his son. He is rough on him but fair. He spends most of his time teaching him. He's trying to make up for being absent and trying to connect. At the same time doesn't want him to know anything about his former life because of the road he feels that will put him on. Kratos wants to love his son, but he is afraid because anything he allows himself to feel strongly about is either taken from him or destroyed, sometimes (often) by himself. Even if he could connect with his son in a way we would consider loving, he's not sure he knows how and he fears finding that out. Remember him telling the story of the frog and the scorpion. Kratos believes he is the Scorpion. He pulls his hand back not because he does not want to love his son but because he does not want to doom him.

Also, the story is not bad. So far it's following two journeys of the hero. One of the important things about storytelling is the ultimate goal is not important and that in fact is just a signpost. On top of that carrying their mother's ashes is in an excellent narrative choice. It heightens their connection as father and son at every turn, it turns the conversation and the story naturally to the mother again and again, it gives every character they meet a reason to engage them and have an emotional reaction. It reminds you that Kratos, who finds spirits annoying, who claims to never help anybody, is doing this for his departed wife and only friend, not to help her soul rest, not to accomplish anything at all, but only because she asked. Everything Kratos tells his son during this quest is given the lie by the quest itself, and his son knows it. Atreus sees what his father is going through and what he's willing to do for a bag of bones and ash, and this is how he learns that his father loves, and loves with fierceness and loyalty. This is what guides his growth, and the conversations are him trying to get Kratos to admit it while being amazed that his dad doesn't know how transparent he really is.

:yeah:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Republicans posted:

I always took Kratos' sternness with the BOY as him trying to raise him to not be a pussy that gets murdered by the numerous things in the world that want to kill him.

I dunno man I’ve never considered myself a pussy but I’ve never killed scores of flying hell elves with a magical bow and a bottomless quiver of magical arrows plus my mom’s hunting knife

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Absolutely massive spoilers but holy poo poo did the game just throw a curveball at me new weapon

10/10 game just got even better.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the world serpents voice so much.

Friendly Fire posted:

That's pretty much exactly what she says iirc.

Cool. Wasn’t sure if there was something else I missed

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want to start a metal band with the world serpent.

Araganzar posted:

drat, this is great. I was already fully onboard with the story but this post backed up a lot of my feelings on it.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

nessin posted:

Alternatively, you and several others took my statement as something other than what was said. I understand the character just fine. I like Kratos' character and he plays the role of dad that I'd think makes sense for him. I said if you connect with him, you've got problems. As in you're treating this story as more than the sum of its parts based on personal experience and association with his character. It was mostly as a response to someone who originally responded to my last comment many pages back about how they felt they were engaged with the storyline based on the fact that they've grown up with the God of War games and are becoming a parent now.

Your statement literally said, if you connect with this story, you are abusing your child.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm actually a moron, any help with this light puzzle would be appreciated. There's a couple dozen of those tendril things I need to axe throw and I'm not entirely sure what the game wants me to do. It was funny hearing Kratos go "no no I got it" but uh, past the point of being funny now. What am I missing like a idiot?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I know I can't be the only one who adds ", BOY!" in a loud deep voice every time Kratos says something to his son when he doesn't do it himself.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm actually a moron, any help with this light puzzle would be appreciated. There's a couple dozen of those tendril things I need to axe throw and I'm not entirely sure what the game wants me to do. It was funny hearing Kratos go "no no I got it" but uh, past the point of being funny now. What am I missing like a idiot?

There are 3 sets of 3 that you need to line up and hit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Your probably gonna need to be more specific.

The answer to all of those is pretty much to find the right angle and throw. If it seems undoable you may have to push on and see if you find an alternate path with a better angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Traxis posted:

There are 3 sets of 3 that you need to line up and hit.

Alright cool, thank you!