Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they bought it to review and flip. not to use. they disassembled it for a video and the fat idiot broke it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fiedler posted:

lol at defending anti-consumer practices of corporate giants

i much prefer getting shanked by small or medium sized business myself

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i'd bet the vast majority of consumers who bought the imac pro are quite happy with it

e: also yeah, if you do what they did you're not a consumer, you're a wrecker

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
linus could probably buy 50 new imacs this is a pretty cheap ploy

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i guess he works for the "PC parts & repair" industry so it makes sense

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

that's the problem, then.

why on earth would i need to sign into an account to have offline maps

i never needed that before

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

linus left ncix and now they are bankrupt

coincidence?!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

why don’t they do the world a favour and sue tbh

some russian dude did it for his iphone repair in Moscow and the court forced them to make a repairs centre in the city, so if we can do it with our lovely courts so can some yanks

the FTC has apparently started that process, sending warning letters to several undisclosed consumer electronics manufacturers to knock off the "warranty void if looked at funny" bullshit.

the next step when they inevitably ignore it will be enforcement action. I expect they will take on one of the manufacturers less obsessed with preventing third party repair like Sony or MS first to get favorable precedent before taking on Apple.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
how is “the warranty is void if you take this apart and gently caress up every major component” anti-consumer?

after loving up the screen, motherboard, and PSU, what’s left on an iMac to be under warranty anyway?

edit: I upgraded my own iMac to an SSD a while back, and taking them apart & putting back together isn’t that difficult, so long as you aren’t an idiot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Block posted:

how is “the warranty is void if you take this apart and gently caress up every major component” anti-consumer?

after loving up the screen, motherboard, and PSU, what’s left on an iMac to be under warranty anyway?

edit: I upgraded my own iMac to an SSD a while back, and taking them apart & putting back together isn’t that difficult, so long as you aren’t an idiot.

by law they have to say “you broke the thing when you hosed around with it” not “you hosed around with it”

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

i think microsoft followed apple's lead and made their laptop impossible to dissemble without ruining, at least aesthetically*

*insert joke

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

look only microsoft has a glued microfiber keyboard so that level of plushness is hard to match for old jony two-glass-panels

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Fiedler posted:

lol at defending anti-consumer practices of corporate giants

seriously

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Doc Block posted:

the warranty should still remain on the parts that you didn't gently caress up

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wheany posted:

the warranty should still remain on the parts that you didn't gently caress up

if they’re not hosed up do they need warranty?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Boiled Water posted:

if they’re not hosed up do they need warranty?

sometimes things break due to a manufacturing defect or other reasons that are not the user's fault

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

sometimes things break due to a manufacturing defect or other reasons that are not the user's fault

the implication was that unfuckuped parts are still functional

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
great, so you broke every major component on your imac pro, but man, at least the hinge is still under warranty!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Doc Block posted:

great, so you broke every major component on your imac pro, but man, at least the hinge is still under warranty!

yes?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
how is this so difficult for you?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

how is this so difficult for you?

how difficult is it for you to get that working as intended parts do not warrant replacement or repair

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
just seems nitpicky and silly in this case, IMHO. especially on something like a computer, where the user swapping in a bad component (like putting in a lovely PSU in a PC) can gently caress up other things.

to use linus' own dumb crashing a new car analogy, he totalled his new car, and you're saying afterwards he should still be able to get the hubcaps replaced under warranty.

edit: like i wrote earlier, it's entirely possible that apple's store-level in-warranty repair procedure for imac pros will be to just swap the unit out for a new one, and send the busted one back to get refurbished. meaning they can't do even paid repairs on imac pros in apple stores. they seem to be doing this more and more for their other products, and it would explain why they can't just put in a new motherboard, PSU, and screen: they don't have spares at the stores, so the only alternative is for him to buy a whole new imac pro.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 23, 2018

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how difficult is it for you to get that working as intended parts do not warrant replacement or repair

not at all difficult

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Just to clarify, since this poo poo is apparently super loving confusing:
(1) Apple does not and should not have to provide warranty repair or replacement for damage caused by a customer. That's not a warranty, that's insurance.
(2) Apple cannot and should not be allowed to disclaim the entirety of their warranty if the customer opens or repairs the computer himself. No, this does not mean Apple should have to fix damage caused by the customer in the process of opening or repairing the computer himself. See (1).
(3) Apple can legally refuse to provide non-warranty repair service to a customer that damaged their computer in the process of opening or repairing it himself, but it's super lovely and anti-consumer because it encourages a manufacturer monopoly on service.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
idk why you’re all on about warranty. he wants to pay for repair or parts

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
right, but if apple stores don't stock imac pro parts, welp, time for linus to buy a new imac pro and hope his insurance covers it.

edit: idk why some people started in on the warranty stuff either. i was just adding that in an instance like this, where every major internal component was damaged, it's dumb to say apple should hypothetically still have to perform warranty service on the case or hinge or whatever (provided that the imac pro was otherwise left non-functional).

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 23, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

i would like to pay for a top spec mbp without emoji bar, but it doesn’t exist as a product either. plus all linus idiots are spouting about warranty

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fiedler posted:

Just to clarify, since this poo poo is apparently super loving confusing:
(1) Apple does not and should not have to provide warranty repair or replacement for damage caused by a customer. That's not a warranty, that's insurance.
(2) Apple cannot and should not be allowed to disclaim the entirety of their warranty if the customer opens or repairs the computer himself. No, this does not mean Apple should have to fix damage caused by the customer in the process of opening or repairing the computer himself. See (1).
(3) Apple can legally refuse to provide non-warranty repair service to a customer that damaged their computer in the process of opening or repairing it himself, but it's super lovely and anti-consumer because it encourages a manufacturer monopoly on service.

how a refusal of non-warranty repair is a monopoly on service

pram
Jun 10, 2001
one time i spilled a glass of milk on my g4 powerbook and killed it. and apple wanted almost as much as a new pb to fix it. crapple :argh:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

one time i spilled a glass of milk on my g4 powerbook and killed it. and apple wanted almost as much as a new pb to fix it. crapple :argh:

acer wanted to charge me $236 for a replacement motherboard for a $199 netbook

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how a refusal of non-warranty repair is a monopoly on service

The policy is designed to punish people who self-repair or use a third party repair service. For example, imagine if GM dealers universally pulled poo poo like saying, "We're not going to fix the suspension damage caused by your accident. We found that the battery in your car was installed by a non-GM authorized service provider."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fiedler posted:

The policy is designed to punish people who self-repair or use a third party repair service. For example, imagine if GM dealers universally pulled poo poo like saying, "We're not going to fix the suspension damage caused by your accident. We found that the battery in your car was installed by a non-GM authorized service provider."

ah, from that perspective yes, agreed. that seems to be a different argument than "gm dealers refuse to provide paid non-warranty repairs, just because"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my exwife is claming my l;aptop off me coz its technically a business assett whch I signed off in the speeration

ill nevr get a mint 2015 retina mbp again

thankfully new ipad is actually veyr god

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Maximum Leader posted:

can a business always refuse service to a customer no matter what? I mean they should be able to just refuse.

on the other hand it does seem like apple went: "welp, the cost of repairing this imac would be as much as a new imac" followed by a rant by the internet man about how devices should be repairable.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ah, from that perspective yes, agreed. that seems to be a different argument than "gm dealers refuse to provide paid non-warranty repairs, just because"

if gm refused to provide non-warranty repairs it would be really stupid, but not illegal. that's what apples doing here. if they somehow managed to actually damage everything then ok maybe a new imac pro is justified, but quote them that as the repair cost. this seems more like they busted up the front part and apple doesn't have supply chain to handle repairs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also apple has been owned for shady repair practices in the past so idk why anyone would think the FTC wouldn't make apple a priority target.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
reminder that y’all are arguing about a guy who almost lost all of his poo poo because his storage solution was ‘Windows Server with a RAID 05 array and no backups’ and ignored weeks of warning messages popping up then finally one of the controller cards failed so he googled ‘RAID array recovery’ and called the first number he saw

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah hes an idiot, but in this case hes not wrong.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he's real dumb and bad with computers, and also apple is actively hostile towards anyone looking for out of warranty repair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're also hostile towards in warranty repair