Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

It was being piloted remotely, because the plan was to ram the thing into the protomolecule and that would be worse on belters bodies than extended g-forces. Its probably going to be a bitch to catch up to and then turn around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

double nine posted:

has the nauvoo been accelerating away from tycho station this entire time? Because that might become unpleasant, especially for belters.

They haven't given any real details as to what it is doing or where it is. I assume they have some sort of remote way to control it so they don't have to physically board it, but yeah, if it were still accelerating that would be a big problem.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Blackchamber posted:

It was being piloted remotely, because the plan was to ram the thing into the protomolecule and that would be worse on belters bodies than extended g-forces. Its probably going to be a bitch to catch up to and then turn around.

I guess that depends on where it was pointed? I sort of assumed that it was headed down the gravity well, which means you could catch it on the other side of the belt, but I couldn't even guess at how that would work, or how long it would take for it to pass through the inner systems and back out again. A lot of time has passed since the Eros incident in the show.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm pretty sure they would have to have some kind of remote control over the Nauvoo. You really don't want to risk missing Eros and smashing the biggest spaceship ever built into another station or a planet. Not to mention that with Eros moving as unpredictably as it was, you wouldn't want to rely purely on a calculated trajectory for the ram.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bloom posted:

I'm pretty sure they would have to have some kind of remote control over the Nauvoo. You really don't want to risk missing Eros and smashing the biggest spaceship ever built into another station or a planet. Not to mention that with Eros moving as unpredictably as it was, you wouldn't want to rely purely on a calculated trajectory for the ram.

Eros wanst moving before the nauvoo was launched

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Eros wanst moving before the nauvoo was launched

Ah, I misremembered that. Really should do a proper rewatch.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Eros was moving, it was just doing a regular trajectory towards earth - the Nauvoo shot was intended as a crazy plan to deflect it away. Eros only threw inertia in the trash can when The Nauvoo got close. If Eros hadn't cheated the plan may well have worked.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I don't think the Nauvoo is still accelerating, but it was accelerating for days (weeks?) on end, presumably at full thrust since there was nobody aboard to worry about killing. That's a lot of velocity, and if they're just now going to retrieve the thing, that's a pretty big head start on a race out of the solar system.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

Eros was moving, it was just doing a regular trajectory towards earth - the Nauvoo shot was intended as a crazy plan to deflect it away. Eros only threw inertia in the trash can when The Nauvoo got close. If Eros hadn't cheated the plan may well have worked.

I'm pretty sure they launched the Nauvoo towards Eros to purge the system from the protomolecule. It was only after the Nauvoo was on an intercept course that Eros decided to crash on Earth's couch. That's what the whole dialogue signals anyway:

quote:

Miller: Guys? What the hell just happened? The Nauvoo just missed! How the hell did it change course?
Amos:What the gently caress?
Holden: The Nauvoo didn't ... move. Eros did.

my point is: Eros orbits the sun, Miller et al want to punch the rock into the Sun before the protomolecule builts whatever or someone breaches containment, Eros GM-hacks its way out of the Nauvoo's path and sets course for Earth.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 23, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yes, the protomolecule had not yet turned Eros into an impossible ship, it was just moving like any asteroid moves, in its normal path, like the above poster said

It was just when the nauvoo was about to hit it that it moved out of its way and then started racing across the system

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NmareBfly posted:

No it was not moving and the plan to knock Eros into the sun wa s to destroy the PM. Then Eros moved

Bad at watching

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think you guys are bad at reading: it was moving in the sense that every asteroid is moving, thats what he said. That also what I meant when I said it wanst moving (I forgot that literally everything in space is moving)

We are all agreeing that it was just when the nauvoo was about to hit it that it started moving in an unnatural way

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

NmareBfly posted:

Eros was "stationary" in its orbit, it hadn't started its unnatural motion when they launched the Nauvoo. The idea was to obliterate the asteroid and hopefully push the resulting mass towards interstellar space. . Seeing the generation ship flying towards it was what prompted Eros to alter its trajectory and the Nauvoo to miss!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think you guys are bad at reading: it was moving in the sense that every asteroid is moving, thats what he said. That also what I meant when I said it wanst moving (I forgot that literally everything in space is moving)

We are all agreeing that it was just when the nauvoo was about to hit it that it started moving in an unnatural way

This is correct but I'm not sure we all agree. Goons are bad a watching tv. :shrug:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Just so we're clear, I read the bolded below as meaning that according to NmareBfly, Eros was already on a collision path with Earth when the Nauvoo plan was executed, which was not what happened in the show. If I misunderstood NmareBfly, I apologise for the derail/circle argument.

NmareBfly posted:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Please god Wednesday come so we have something else to post qbout

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Oh yeah I was wrong, derp. :shrug:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Looks like Im the one who cant read then

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I apologize for being wrong. Will I be banned? :ohdear:

I swear it was an innocent mistake.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So when Fred Johnson made his salvage request to Drummer, she immediately made the assumption that he/the OPA would convert the Nauvoo into a warship. What if they converted it into a station - a habitat with near-earth gravity and all the creature comforts that a rich organized religion could request, commandeered by the OPA. Wouldn't be a bad propaganda stunt, imo.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

NmareBfly posted:

I apologize for being wrong. Will I be banned? :ohdear:

I swear it was an innocent mistake.

Space him!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I was surprised that last week's episode mentioned the Roci being low on fuel. In the books fuel is, like, technically a consumable resource on an Epstein-equipped ship, but air, water, and food all run out more quickly, even though all three of those go through high-efficiency recyclers. I wonder what the motivation was for the change.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

So when Fred Johnson made his salvage request to Drummer, she immediately made the assumption that he/the OPA would convert the Nauvoo into a warship. What if they converted it into a station - a habitat with near-earth gravity and all the creature comforts that a rich organized religion could request, commandeered by the OPA. Wouldn't be a bad propaganda stunt, imo.

This is actually how the showrunners are planning the not-yet-announced tie-in to Babylon 5. Turns out, the Mormons' version of Jesus and God the Father were actually Vorlons, the protomolecule was created by the Shadows, and the Nauvoo will eventually become the first of the Babylon stations. I have no idea how the Minbari fit into this...

Realtalk, it's already been established in the setting that the difference between "station" and "extremely large and slow ship" isn't a big one, eg Tycho has moved around a few times in its history. I don't remember if Tycho has any weaponry though. Either way it stands to reason that regardless of how mobile and/or armed an OPA-captured Nauvoo is, it'd be a huge win in terms of OPA-controlled usable close-to-planetary-G living/growing/etc space. Forget how large it is compared to Tycho or Ceres but it's decidedly nontrivial.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No way in hell is anyone going to do business with Tycho Station ever again if they take the Mormon's money, build a ship, steal it, abandon it, and then "salvage" it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

bitprophet posted:

Realtalk, it's already been established in the setting that the difference between "station" and "extremely large and slow ship" isn't a big one, eg Tycho has moved around a few times in its history. I don't remember if Tycho has any weaponry though. Either way it stands to reason that regardless of how mobile and/or armed an OPA-captured Nauvoo is, it'd be a huge win in terms of OPA-controlled usable close-to-planetary-G living/growing/etc space. Forget how large it is compared to Tycho or Ceres but it's decidedly nontrivial.

The Nauvoo and Tycho have similar diameters, which makes sense since they're both designed for comparable spin gravity, but the Nauvoo's spin habitat is a cylinder rather than a ring, so

Neither is anywhere near the size of Ceres. The Nauvoo's 2km long by 0.5km wide. Ceres' diameter is 945km.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slashrat posted:

...and then FJ later went on to seize the largest ship ever from the Mormons.

Yeah but that doesn’t worry lowly captains much.

It might worry someone who’s considering commissioning a megaproject, but they’re probably safe unless there’s another human extinction threat.

Besides, who else are they going to hire? :v:

They should definitely try to use it to negotiate a better rate, though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Toast Museum posted:

I was surprised that last week's episode mentioned the Roci being low on fuel. In the books fuel is, like, technically a consumable resource on an Epstein-equipped ship, but air, water, and food all run out more quickly, even though all three of those go through high-efficiency recyclers. I wonder what the motivation was for the change.

I was just now thinking about the food situation on these ships so get out of my head.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

They're probably talking about the "reaction mass." Epstein drives can run for a super long time, but you need something to super heat and poo poo out the back of your spaceship at high velocities to impart thrust. In this case it's usually hyper distilled water.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sammus posted:

They're probably talking about the "reaction mass." Epstein drives can run for a super long time, but you need something to super heat and poo poo out the back of your spaceship at high velocities to impart thrust. In this case it's usually hyper distilled water.

I don't think it's steam, since they use "flying teakettle" to describe using steam as reaction mass. I don't think they've actually specified what the reaction mass is for Epstein drives. Maybe helium, if what their fusion reactor fuses is hydrogen.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZqp0QoXcw

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Wasn't the "fuel is getting low" thing because they purposefully hosed up the engine's efficiency to, as they put it, "burn dirty" as part of their effort to disguise as some piece of poo poo transport rather than as the top of the line combat ship they are? There was even talk of reprogramming it to do so in a more efficient way due to the fuel issue and they blew it off.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Zebulon posted:

Wasn't the "fuel is getting low" thing because they purposefully hosed up the engine's efficiency to, as they put it, "burn dirty" as part of their effort to disguise as some piece of poo poo transport rather than as the top of the line combat ship they are? There was even talk of reprogramming it to do so in a more efficient way due to the fuel issue and they blew it off.

Tbf, they didn't blow it off, Bobbie distracted them.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

No way in hell is anyone going to do business with Tycho Station ever again if they take the Mormon's money, build a ship, steal it, abandon it, and then "salvage" it.

You say that as if screwing Mormons over is bad marketing.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

drewhead posted:

To be fair they have to be a rather well to do religious sect if they can afford a massive ship like the Nauvoo.

Now that I think of it, has there been mention of organized religion on the show other than the mormons and Ana?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

drewhead posted:

Yeah, but these are Space Mormons. Completely different kettle of fish.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

bloom posted:

To be fair they have to be a rather well to do religious sect if they can afford a massive ship like the Nauvoo.

Now that I think of it, has there been mention of organized religion on the show other than the mormons and Ana?

Space Mormons using their vast wealth to make a generation ship totally jives with my sense of reality. For anyone interested in how that journey might go: check out the Kim Stanley Robinson book Aurora!

But other than that, people seem to be mostly atheist/agnostic. Not sure if this was from the books or show, but I remember a few characters being put off by religiousness. You can see this a bit with Anna and her interactions with the UN leadership: she's tolerated but considered kooky.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

But other than that, people seem to be mostly atheist/agnostic. Not sure if this was from the books or show, but I remember a few characters being put off by religiousness. You can see this a bit with Anna and her interactions with the UN leadership: she's tolerated but considered kooky.

I think this made it into the show: when a chaplain is sent to meet with Bobbie after the Ganymede attack, she says something like "I meant it when I put 'nonreligious' on the paperwork."

Ana's been reworked for the show, but in the books, at least, religious leaders definitely still have the government's ear.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Toast Museum posted:

Ana's been reworked for the show, but in the books, at least, religious leaders definitely still have the government's ear.

Religion just isn't emphasized in the show or the book for that matter. It's there, but the first real exploration is Anna's character. Seem like with her introduction we'll be filling that aspect out a bit.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm very upset that I was wrong about S3/4 being filmed at the same time. I'll need to have a word with my friend

And steal his flight bag that has patches from all the ships in the show sewn on it. Apparently it was a S1 crew gift and I lust after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MA-Horus posted:

And steal his flight bag that has patches from all the ships in the show sewn on it. Apparently it was a S1 crew gift and I lust after it.

:stwoon: