Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Best bang for your buck seats are in the 400s.

Unfortunately, Poque and I are out of town that weekend for a wedding, otherwise it'd be cool to get a drink somewhere, like we did when Inspector_666 was in town. :cheers:

You two gonna be in town at the end of August when they play the Mets? I’m thinking about catching one of those games with my sis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Miz Kriss posted:

You two gonna be in town at the end of August when they play the Mets? I’m thinking about catching one of those games with my sis.

That's a weekday series, so we almost certainly will be in town, then. Hit one of us up with a PM when you've got your plans figured out.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Best bang for your buck seats are in the 400s.

Unfortunately, Poque and I are out of town that weekend for a wedding, otherwise it'd be cool to get a drink somewhere, like we did when Inspector_666 was in town. :cheers:

Thanks! My girlfriend is originally from Chicago, so the rest of my trip will be filled up. I'm assuming that because the cubs are a bit more... popular than I'm used to, second hand markets are a bad idea?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

What's up North Dakota brother :hfive:

Dumb Idaho story: I was at a car dealership in Sacramento and the salesman found out I was from North Dakota so I got the full "people like us" racist treatment and a long winded story about how he wants to move to Idaho to escape the Communists in California. He claimed to be an ex navy seal.
You got a good deal on the car though.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Also Dodger Stadium: sometimes it’s no problem to get into, and other times it might as well be in a Orange County. I went to a Cardinals/Dodgers playoff game a few years ago, I left an hour before game time, and I lived in Los Feliz, literally just 4 miles down the street. We didn’t get through the parking gate until the national anthem started, and were subsequently sent in circles around the stadium because every section was full. But we had paid for parking, already, so we kept circling, and no one knew where the open spots were because they weren’t in communication. Halfway through the second inning and we finally got directed to some weird hidden spots behind a fence at the edge of the lot.

So what I’m saying is that it was a typical LA commute.
Seems silly to drive when you're that close, particularly for a postseason game. Just take a cab/uber/whatever to somewhere close and walk in at that point.

fast cars loose anus posted:

It got massively renovated in the late 90s , which added among other things the waterfall in the outfield
And before that it was renovated and expanded when the Rams moved there from the Coliseum in 1980. Angels Stadium has gone through a lot more construction and rebuilding than Dodger Stadium has.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 23, 2018

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
watching replays from other teams, and I notice more and more broadcasts have the strike zone rectangle superimposed over the catcher all the time. I first noticed it only on ESPN but now it seems more common.

I hate this and it makes me angry as heck. I like having the pitch trax graphic over to the side, but when you put something over the catcher it is annoying and distracting. Millennials are ruining baseball by not knowing where the strike zone is

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

watching replays from other teams, and I notice more and more broadcasts have the strike zone rectangle superimposed over the catcher all the time. I first noticed it only on ESPN but now it seems more common.

I hate this and it makes me angry as heck. I like having the pitch trax graphic over to the side, but when you put something over the catcher it is annoying and distracting. Millennials are ruining baseball by not knowing where the strike zone is

Average age of a baseball viewer is 53 so I've got my doubts that changes like this are for the comfort of the young people who don't watch it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can’t stand the strike zone graphic either.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
all the bad changes to baseball are because Rob Manfred wants more young fans

I will not stop my letter-writing campaign until the intentional walk rule is changed back

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ein cooler Typ posted:

loving YES added this and it infuriates me. They used to do a superimposed replay for close pitches, but at Yankee Stadium they also have an overhead and side-view camera angle on the plate which is really all you need.

At least it's just a circle and the speed instead of the whole sliding crosshair thing the "real" K-zone has.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you want young fans to watch baseball put it on Netflix, make the game five innings, and you only need one out.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

boop the snoot posted:

If you want young fans to watch baseball put it on Netflix, make the game five innings, and you only need one out.

You just gave Rob Manfred his first erection in years

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't really mind the strike zone thing

I do think they should have a retro night where all broadcasts use the same layout and graphic styles they did in the early 90's tho

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

boop the snoot posted:

That's a funny way to say "Twitch streams of people playing The Show"

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I like the strike zone graphic because you have real-time proof of lovely umping (assuming it has any accuracy). I know where the strike zone is, but sometimes the angle of the camera makes it hard to see if the corner was caught.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd tune in for Twitch Plays Phillies Manager

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

big trivia FAIL posted:

I like the strike zone graphic because you have real-time proof of lovely umping (assuming it has any accuracy). I know where the strike zone is, but sometimes the angle of the camera makes it hard to see if the corner was caught.

you can do the same thing with the pitch trax graphics off to the side, instead of the superimposed rectangle over the catcher

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners just got Roenis Elias (back) from the Red Sox for cash.

Uh, ok.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

There's no DBacks posters anymore so I'll just point out that Patrick Corbin added a 3rd pitch (a curveball or slower slider to go along with his fastball/slider combo) and I guess he's an ace now. 4-0 in 5 starts with a 1.89 ERA and 48 strikeouts against 6 walks.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

big trivia FAIL posted:

Watching umps call balls strikes and vice-versa in real time with irrefutable evidence makes me feel we're not too far away from having strikes and balls called by a computer or AI.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

... pitch trax graphic .... Millennials are ruining baseball by not knowing where the strike zone is

yeah, more likely marketing guys trying to increase television views since those broadcasting revenues typically exceed the gate revenues. And that income is protected from the sharing agreement, I think. So getting more views from people who aren't already watching is the intent. Pretty soon we'll have midgets and orange balls.

Now if they ever get any VR poo poo going I might have to check it out

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
back in my day we didn't have any graphics and we had to remember the score, the inning, the count, calculate WAR in our heads, and we LIKED it

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ein cooler Typ posted:

back in my day we didn't have any graphics and we had to remember the score, the inning, the count, calculate WAR in our heads, and we LIKED it

someone please replace the "confused lady looks at math formulas" meme with Gabe Kapler tia

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

seiferguy posted:

Uh, ok.

I, uh.

...huh. Why?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
quick someone post an article by an aging baby boomer about how baseball is supposed to be a pastoral activity and slowness is an important part of the culture

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I don't like the centered box tracker because it gives people the idea that it is in any way accurate and useful.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That strike zone graphic is wrong half the time, which is the real reason to hate it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Zigmidge posted:

I don't like the centered box tracker because it gives people the idea that it is in any way accurate and useful.

cis autodrag posted:

That strike zone graphic is wrong half the time, which is the real reason to hate it.

Exactly. I hate watching games with people who see a pitch a tiny bit outside of the zone on the graphic that gets called a strike and then they bitch about how bad the ump is. The permanent K-box sucks.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Pussy Boss posted:

There's no DBacks posters anymore so I'll just point out that Patrick Corbin added a 3rd pitch (a curveball or slower slider to go along with his fastball/slider combo) and I guess he's an ace now. 4-0 in 5 starts with a 1.89 ERA and 48 strikeouts against 6 walks.

CarMart added a cutter and also looks scarier this year, but he’s also walked a bunch of guys and pumped his stats by clowning on the Reds, so :shrug:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

K-Boxes are terrible because every stadium has a different camera set up so in some places you don't even see the correct call just because of the camera angle

what stadium has a true center field camera? like the one where it's centered behind the pitcher and straight?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I can't watch baseball without the Amica pitch zone.

seiferguy posted:

Uh, ok.

Thanks Mariners for freeing up a spot on the Red Sox 40 man roster.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I don't mind the strike zone graphic but what I really don't get is those team specific twitter accounts

https://twitter.com/GiantsUmp/status/987871058484178947

Why's the ball so tiny? Looks like a ping pong ball.

Where are they measuring from? The center of the ball? How's that 2 inches out of the zone?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I don't mind the strike zone graphic but what I really don't get is those team specific twitter accounts

https://twitter.com/GiantsUmp/status/987871058484178947

Why's the ball so tiny? Looks like a ping pong ball.

Where are they measuring from? The center of the ball? How's that 2 inches out of the zone?
Those work based on the heat map overlay of the "average zone as called" not the rulebook zone. Not sure which "edge" they measure from, but the tweets get triggered based on that "% call same" threshold.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Epic High Five posted:

Average age of a baseball viewer is 53 so I've got my doubts that changes like this are for the comfort of the young people who don't watch it

This is pretty fascinating to me - on why baseball fandom is so old and there are no baseball players in the general public consciousness like Griffey, Bonds, Jeter and A-Rod.

MLB marketing does a god awful job of promoting its stars - Kershaw and Trout should probably be national level stars at this point. If the argument is that their boring white dudes, so are Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and they carried the NFL for a decade.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Those work based on the heat map overlay of the "average zone as called" not the rulebook zone. Not sure which "edge" they measure from, but the tweets get triggered based on that "% call same" threshold.

You can find some good ones when you search for "0% call same"

https://twitter.com/CubsUmp/status/917504551682527234

https://twitter.com/MetsUmp/status/986029639104647169

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The period in our lifetimes where baseball was at its peak in the public consciousness is yeah, during the Griffey, Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Jeter, A-Rod era. And Bo Jackson was a huuuge star in the previous era. Even in the post-2000 era stars like Albert Pujols weren't a household name like you'd absolutely think he'd be.

There used to be MLB tie-ins with Nike, Gatorade, Pepsi, etc. Like this one everybody remembers that was on for like 2 straight years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjkuJPvMrI8

but they don't really do those anymore. Nike is all Lebron, Neymar, Ronaldo. Gatorade doesn't have many athletes in their promos anymore.

Now all the athletes from that era have retired, and baseball's presence has waned, because they never bothered to put their stars front and center in national marketing. Really only two players from that era remain.

What I'm saying is it's time to put Bartolo Colon and Adrian Beltre on a Wheaties box.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 23, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sab0921 posted:

This is pretty fascinating to me - on why baseball fandom is so old and there are no baseball players in the general public consciousness like Griffey, Bonds, Jeter and A-Rod.

MLB marketing does a god awful job of promoting its stars - Kershaw and Trout should probably be national level stars at this point. If the argument is that their boring white dudes, so are Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and they carried the NFL for a decade.

It's because baseball, far more than any other sport, is so incredibly up its rear end about the history of the game and it being the National Pastime and all that. That's at least half the reason there's so much hand-wringing over the steroid era, because people cling to their fantasies of the Great White Men of yore being the roots of baseball (and you'll get a look of derision from them if you dare to point out that amphetamines probably helped Mickey Mantle a hell of a lot more than shooting Winstrol into his rear end helped Neifi fuckin' Perez).

Edit: I mean, poo poo, it feels like half the "during this break in the action" clips on MLB.tv are showing stuff from the '80s and '90s. And Thom Brennaman talking to that loving bird.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like in a world of HDTV if a few rows of pixels are used for the strike zone graphic you really aren’t losing that much.

Sab0921 posted:

Baseball has a “too much history” problem if anything. A crazy good thing happens for the first time since 1968 and, hey, wow right? Except the game has been happening for so long that it turns out five other guys through history did the same thing, and the moment is kind of lost in the context.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Watching umps call balls strikes and vice-versa in real time with irrefutable evidence makes me feel we're not too far away from having strikes and balls called by a computer or AI.

i cannot wait for this day. it can't come soon enough.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
What the hell? Is there video of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What the hell? Is there video of those?

I would wager that the catcher got crossed up on the first one and had to reach across his body to catch the pitch even though it was right down the middle. That's almost always the reason for really egregious ball calls.

The second one I have no explanation for other than a glitch in the pitch tracking system or the umpire having a stroke.

• Locked thread