Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

LongSack posted:

So I bought a Zojirushi rice cooker, and I have a question - when the cooker’s instructions say “don’t rinse” but the rice package says to rinse, which one wins?

I have always rinsed my rice with my zojirushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
always rinse

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Thanks!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Rice is cheap, try it both ways with each variety of rice you use regularly. Personally I've found with the extra long grain basmati rice I use the improvement from a rinse/soak is negligible compared to the extra time/effort it takes. Japanese and california grown japanese style medium/short grain rices it makes a way bigger difference and I make the time to do so.

I've experimented with "musenmai" rice which is supposed to be super polished and coated with tapioca starch so you don't need to rinse it (rinsing rice actually has a measurable environmental impact and reducing it is a worthwhile endeavor!) and you just need to reduce how much rice you are dosing by iirc 2 teaspoons per zojirushi provided measuring cup of rice. I've typically found this "musenmai" rice to be fairly middling quality wise, but ultimately still serviceable.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey guys. I am doing Kenji's "no knead focaccia" that sits covered for "up to" 24 hours. I *USUALLY* let it sit for a bit less than that and all is great. However, today, I made the dough at 9am. Tomorrow at 7 we are leaving for a couple hours. Long question short, can dough like that sit a bit LONGER than 24 hours and be ok? LIke maybe 27 hours?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Suspect Bucket posted:

You mean live weight or dressed? Anyhoo, Here's some MATH!

http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/541/weighing-a-pig-without-a-scale/

So let me remember how to do math. Basically, we've got the calculation Length x Girth squared / 400 = Weight in Lbs.

Let's say you know it's a 99lb live pig (which will dress to about 57%). Using this handy chart at http://extension.wsu.edu/ferry/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/07/Cover-Letter-1.pdf , we know 99lb pig will have a heart girth of aprox 31 inches. So x* 312/400=99. Solve for x which isssssssssssss

41.2 inches ish

according to my engineer boyfriend.

(some sources say the math is length x girth squared / 400 = weight +7 for pigs under 150, your milage may vary)

That helps a lot thank you! For context I'm going to snag a suckling pig from a farm but it'll be on memorial day and the sow is currently pregnant so the weight could range a bit. This helps me know what I have to do to get it to fit on the grill which worst case scenario is cut the head off. Thanks!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Feenix posted:

Hey guys. I am doing Kenji's "no knead focaccia" that sits covered for "up to" 24 hours. I *USUALLY* let it sit for a bit less than that and all is great. However, today, I made the dough at 9am. Tomorrow at 7 we are leaving for a couple hours. Long question short, can dough like that sit a bit LONGER than 24 hours and be ok? LIke maybe 27 hours?

It's fine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sextro posted:

Rice is cheap, try it both ways with each variety of rice you use regularly. Personally I've found with the extra long grain basmati rice I use the improvement from a rinse/soak is negligible compared to the extra time/effort it takes. Japanese and california grown japanese style medium/short grain rices it makes a way bigger difference and I make the time to do so.

I've experimented with "musenmai" rice which is supposed to be super polished and coated with tapioca starch so you don't need to rinse it (rinsing rice actually has a measurable environmental impact and reducing it is a worthwhile endeavor!) and you just need to reduce how much rice you are dosing by iirc 2 teaspoons per zojirushi provided measuring cup of rice. I've typically found this "musenmai" rice to be fairly middling quality wise, but ultimately still serviceable.

I always end up rinsing short and medium grain rice and never long grain rice.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Feenix posted:

At room temperature? Overproofing is a sad thing, so let's think a bit. Yeast is a living thing and as such its rate of fermentation varies with temperature and time, in a nonlinear way.

In general, a good benchmark temperature for proofing is 75° F, but you need to know your recipe source. Whatever they balanced the recipe around is more important, but it looks like Kenji also uses 75°.

Is your place hotter than 80°F? If so, do ~12 hours room temp and the rest in the fridge. Colder than 72°? Out on the counter the whole 27+ hr time. Exactly 75°? Put it in the fridge as close to 24 hrs as you can.

The other big consideration is the age and health of your yeast. It sounds like it behaved normally last time you used it, so you're probably fine there.

Casu Marzu posted:

It's fine.

This is also true. Homemade bread that's slightly imperfect is still :krad: :)

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I bought beef liver on a whim and I don’t know what to do with it. One of the recipes on Serious Eats said “if I never ate beef liver again that would be ok” which doesn’t really inspire confidence...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

camoseven posted:

I bought beef liver on a whim and I don’t know what to do with it. One of the recipes on Serious Eats said “if I never ate beef liver again that would be ok” which doesn’t really inspire confidence...

Liver and onions is a classic for a reason. Make sure not to overcook the liver, and soaking it in milk for a few hours will reduce the iron taste. Don't be afraid of your food! Just eat the offal.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pro tip, liver and onions is really good with some crispy bacon and smooth mashed potatoes, made with tons of butter.

Peel the potatoes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Doorknob Slobber posted:

anyone got ideas for things to make in my waffle iron that aren't just waffles?

My restaurant did a neat take on chicken and waffles for brunch one week: we put seasoned ground chicken in one of the waffle makers until it was just almost cooked thru.Then we cut the chaffle into quarters, breaded and fried them briefly to get a nice crisp on them. Put one piece of chaffle between two quarters of regular waffles, and viola, chicken and waffle sliders. We dressed them with an apple bacon chutney and bourbon maple syrup. Those things were slutty as hell.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My restaurant did a neat take on chicken and waffles for brunch one week: we put seasoned ground chicken in one of the waffle makers until it was just almost cooked thru.Then we cut the chaffle into quarters, breaded and fried them briefly to get a nice crisp on them. Put one piece of chaffle between two quarters of regular waffles, and viola, chicken and waffle sliders. We dressed them with an apple bacon chutney and bourbon maple syrup. Those things were slutty as hell.

P sure I know what I'm making next Saturday

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

drat i just got a boner

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

P sure I know what I'm making next Saturday

I can get more deets on my chef's technique for doing the chicken if you're interested. I think there was a buttermilk brine involved at some point (we grind our own meat in house, so I know it started as boneless breasts). I just made the chaffles and the waffles and assembled them into sliders.

Our current chicken and waffles brunch item is blood orange & poppy seed waffles, fried chicken, and a spicy honey sauce artfully drizzled by yours truly. That poo poo's pretty banging, too.

Also, I swear I typed voila, gently caress this iPad and its autocorrect

Edit: also, if we have leftover waffles (because we only serve those for Sunday brunch, and sometimes make too many or too much batter in advance), we send them to our sister store next door. They toss em in the deep fryer and top with a scoop of ice cream, drizzle of chocolate sauce, whipped cream, whatever, and sell them as a dessert special. Just in case you end up with more waffles/batter than you intended, you can churn out a few extras and put them in the fridge. Deep fry them, and they basically turn into funnel cake. This also works with pancakes.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 22, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I can get more deets on my chef's technique for doing the chicken if you're interested. I think there was a buttermilk brine involved at some point (we grind our own meat in house, so I know it started as boneless breasts). I just made the chaffles and the waffles and assembled them into sliders.

Our current chicken and waffles brunch item is blood orange & poppy seed waffles, fried chicken, and a spicy honey sauce artfully drizzled by yours truly. That poo poo's pretty banging, too.

Also, I swear I typed voila, gently caress this iPad and its autocorrect

Edit: also, if we have leftover waffles (because we only serve those for Sunday brunch, and sometimes make too many or too much batter in advance), we send them to our sister store next door. They toss em in the deep fryer and top with a scoop of ice cream, drizzle of chocolate sauce, whipped cream, whatever, and sell them as a dessert special. Just in case you end up with more waffles/batter than you intended, you can churn out a few extras and put them in the fridge. Deep fry them, and they basically turn into funnel cake. This also works with pancakes.

Yes please, I'd really appreciate it. I can probably just wing it (:haw:), but since you already had one successful execution, I'd rather crib your notes.

I always end up with more waffles/pancakes than I need, and I don't like their texture once they've been reheated, so I usually end up throwing the leftovers away. That deep frying tip is A+, thank you.

My sister wants to know more details about your username, by the way. Is it referring to the fish, the boxer, neither, or both?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yes please, I'd really appreciate it. I can probably just wing it (:haw:), but since you already had one successful execution, I'd rather crib your notes.

I always end up with more waffles/pancakes than I need, and I don't like their texture once they've been reheated, so I usually end up throwing the leftovers away. That deep frying tip is A+, thank you.

My sister wants to know more details about your username, by the way. Is it referring to the fish, the boxer, neither, or both?

Happy to help!

The fish is actually named after the boxer "due to its pugnacious nature" (which is how I learned the word "pugnacious" when I bought my first JD when I was 13, and read that in a book. The line's always stuck with me for some reason). I've always kept one or a pair of JDs for three decades now, so when coming up with a username, I happened to glance at Jack III's tank and came up with it. I went with Jacqueline because I'm a woman, and at the time thought that was kinda witty and a little in-joke for other fish nerds.

Tit for tat: what the gently caress is your av from? I see it all the time since we both haunt GWS, and it both amuses and disturbs me.

actual content
1. Can you smoke pangassius, aka swai? And does anyone have tips? We have a smoker at work, but we've never done fish. The fillets are about 6oz and kinda thin.
2. Can you make bacalao out of panga? I can't find salt cod around here to save my life, and thought gently caress it, I'll make my own bacalao, with hookers and blackjack swai

I have access to tons of this fish at work, and am always looking for interesting things to do with it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Happy to help!

The fish is actually named after the boxer "due to its pugnacious nature" (which is how I learned the word "pugnacious" when I bought my first JD when I was 13, and read that in a book. The line's always stuck with me for some reason). I've always kept one or a pair of JDs for three decades now, so when coming up with a username, I happened to glance at Jack III's tank and came up with it. I went with Jacqueline because I'm a woman, and at the time thought that was kinda witty and a little in-joke for other fish nerds.

Tit for tat: what the gently caress is your av from? I see it all the time since we both haunt GWS, and it both amuses and disturbs me.

actual content
1. Can you smoke pangassius, aka swai? And does anyone have tips? We have a smoker at work, but we've never done fish. The fillets are about 6oz and kinda thin.
2. Can you make bacalao out of panga? I can't find salt cod around here to save my life, and thought gently caress it, I'll make my own bacalao, with hookers and blackjack swai

I have access to tons of this fish at work, and am always looking for interesting things to do with it.

My money was on boxer, she thought fish. I guess we were both right!

My av is from Tally Hall's Banana Man music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yModCU1OVHY

It's just a cool video that most people don't recognize, so when someone does it's sort of a nice thing. Also a really amazing video for a really amazing song.

1. You can smoke swai. I know this because I've eaten smoked swai. I have no other details.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

My av is from Tally Hall's Banana Man music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yModCU1OVHY

It's just a cool video that most people don't recognize, so when someone does it's sort of a nice thing. Also a really amazing video for a really amazing song.

1. You can smoke swai. I know this because I've eaten smoked swai. I have no other details.

Goddamn I love that song/video

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Indeed, you both were! And now y'all know why even though I will gladly eat my own weight in fish/shellfish/pretty much anything from water given the chance, tilapia turns me off. Same taxonomy family as the Jack Dempsey, and they look kinda similar. It's like the aversion to dog (which I would eat, if I was a guest and served it).

quote:

1. You can smoke swai. I know this because I've eaten smoked swai.

Good to know, I'll pursue this line of investigation. Thanks!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 22, 2018

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

One of my roommates just bought a smoking gun (yes the name is a pun). Aside from chocolate and cocktails what* should I smoke? We tried peanut butter and marshmallows already, both of which were okay.

*not (big pieces of) meat, we already have a PBC and make loads of ribs and smoke our Thanksgiving turkeys and whatnot

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Salt

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Do any of you meal prep? I've been doing it for about 3 months pretty consistent with the wife. We make 2 meals for the work week. Anyway, I'm curious to know if you guys have any recipes I should check out. I know there was talk about a 'healthy' thread which I feel this would fall under but until we have one I'll post here. Current lineup below.
Baby mixed green golden beat salad, Pad Tai, Southwest Salad, Black Bean & Quinoa w/chicken, Carnitas & salad and some others I can't think of. In general Cal count is about 300. Throw me some ideas especially if they are quick and easy prep.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Smoke cheese.

The smoking gun applies an acrid smoke, and I found that if you let the food sit in the fridge for a couple days the smoke flavor will mellow out into something much more pleasing.

I’ve also read that the first few seconds of smoke to come out of the nozzle are more acrid than the rest of the smoke, but haven’t gotten around to testing it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sterster posted:

Do any of you meal prep? I've been doing it for about 3 months pretty consistent with the wife. We make 2 meals for the work week. Anyway, I'm curious to know if you guys have any recipes I should check out. I know there was talk about a 'healthy' thread which I feel this would fall under but until we have one I'll post here. Current lineup below.
Baby mixed green golden beat salad, Pad Tai, Southwest Salad, Black Bean & Quinoa w/chicken, Carnitas & salad and some others I can't think of. In general Cal count is about 300. Throw me some ideas especially if they are quick and easy prep.

I prep 10 lunches every Sunday that's some combo of sous vide chicken breast or pork tenderloin and two roasted veggies either asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans or Brussels sprouts.

Dinners this week are a Thai beef red curry and a ham and green bean kind of gumbo type dish i posted about in the Cajun thread. Other recent dinners were kale and cannelini beans stewed together with some sliced roasted Italian sausage and saag with poached chicken.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Oh my God, why didn’t I think of this earlier, okonomiyaki or pajeon waffles

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

That Works posted:

I always end up rinsing short and medium grain rice and never long grain rice.

I ended up making a long grain brown jasmine rice with my pork chop. I followed the directions for short grained rice, and it turned out perfectly cooked, even after sitting in “warm” mode for three hours (I started early in case it was a total waste, I’d have time to try a second batch). It was pretty bland, though, possibly because I forgot to put any salt in it before I cooked it. I did rinse it a bit, put it in a sieve and ran cold water through it, but the water ran pretty clear from the start, so I think I’ll skip it next time.

The pork chop, however, was awesome - brined for an hour, seared on the stove, seasoned only with freshly-ground Telicherry pepper, and finished in the oven. The recipe I was using said 15 mins in the oven, but that seemed long to me and I’m glad I checked at 10 - the chop was already at 150. It probably hit the plate at 155, so it was a touch more done than I prefer, but thanks to the brine was still juicy and delicious.

LongSack fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 23, 2018

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

LongSack posted:

I ended up making a long grain brown jasmine rice with my pork chop. I followed the directions for short grained rice, and it turned out perfectly cooked, even after sitting in “warm” mode for three hours (I started early in case it was a total waste, I’d have time to try a second batch). It was pretty bland, though, possibly because I forgot to put any salt in it before I cooked it. I did rinse it a bit, put it in a sieve and ran cold water through it, but the water ran pretty clear from the start, so I think I’ll skip it next time.

The pork chop, however, was awesome - brined for an hour, seared on the stove, seasoned only with freshly-ground Telicherry pepper, and finished in the oven. The recipe I was using said 15 mins in the oven, but that seemed long to me and I’m glad I checked at 10 - the chop was already at 150. It probably hit the plate at 155, so it was a touch more done than I prefer, but thanks to the brine was still juicy and delicious.

In my experience, brown rice needs less rinsing. Leaving the bran on means there's less starch on the outside.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Doorknob Slobber posted:

grilled cheese. i mean c'mon

THS
Sep 15, 2017

anything i should know before i try to pan fry fish in a cast iron skillet?

is cod good if you don't bread it?

i want to make blackened fish but i'm afraid of overcooking it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

legendof posted:

One of my roommates just bought a smoking gun (yes the name is a pun). Aside from chocolate and cocktails what* should I smoke? We tried peanut butter and marshmallows already, both of which were okay.

*not (big pieces of) meat, we already have a PBC and make loads of ribs and smoke our Thanksgiving turkeys and whatnot

Cheese. Tomato soup. Other soup? Roasted carrots? Cold cuts? Chocolate mousse? Herbs? Fish? Scallops? Lots of stuff...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yandat posted:

anything i should know before i try to pan fry fish in a cast iron skillet?

is cod good if you don't bread it?

i want to make blackened fish but i'm afraid of overcooking it

SAY LIGHTLY FRIED FISH FILLETS ONE MORE TIME DAD

I dislike pan frying fish in cast iron. It tends to keep fishy flavors for a while afterwards. My nonstick pan has pretty much two uses: eggs and fish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

SAY LIGHTLY FRIED FISH FILLETS ONE MORE TIME DAD

I dislike pan frying fish in cast iron. It tends to keep fishy flavors for a while afterwards. My nonstick pan has pretty much two uses: eggs and fish.

Same here. It can work out alright, but sometimes if something sticks just a bit you either flip early and break apart the filet (especially for something big soft and flaky like cod) or you wait until it's not sticking as much and it can be overcooked. If your pan is seasoned just right, your filet patted down very dry and your oil at the right temp it will work but it's not forgiving to any slight error and the nonstick will be.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

camoseven posted:

Piri-piri (bird's eye) chili sauce is the perfect seasoning for liver, in my opinion. The sauce is Portuguese in origin (made popular by Nando's) and is made from crushed chilies, citrus peel, onion, pepper, garlic, salt, lemon juice, bay leaves, paprika, pimiento, basil, oregano, and tarragon.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

sterster posted:

My go-to meal prep food is dals. There are ten billion kinds of dals. Here is one place to start.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is Carnation Instant Dry Milk the same thing as High-Heat-Treated dry milk for the purposes of neutralizing the enzymes that can mess with yeast (like the reason you scald milk to put in bread dough)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

TychoCelchuuu posted:

My go-to meal prep food is dals. There are ten billion kinds of dals. Here is one place to start.

Any other non-daal veggie prep recipes you use? I have near-permanent fenugreek sweat already but want more big-batch veggie options. So much of the meal prep things seems to revolve around meat + veg.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Any other non-daal veggie prep recipes you use? I have near-permanent fenugreek sweat already but want more big-batch veggie options. So much of the meal prep things seems to revolve around meat + veg.
You can do pasta salads (like this thing), ratatouille, soups (like potato leek soup), stews (like this), this thing, this thing, pulaos (like this), falafel and hummus, baked beans (like this or this), other sorts of beans (like this or this), various curries (like this or this), most Ethiopian food, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Thanks! Beanspiration particularly helpful and that stew looks lovely. I also hadn't even considered shepherd's pie as a batch lunch thing but of course it totally is! I think it's sometimes too easy to get stuck in a rut about lunch and breakfast. I take leftovers all the time but I still end up spending if we have something that doesn't create them, so having a few options in the freezer will be helpful.