Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's a bad day at work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you referring to the fact the entire Gungan species is a terrible racist caricature (which it was)

I'm really glad I watched the prequels before I was old enough to remember any of that.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We have started capping our conduit installs with concrete- which doesn’t stop the digging equipment persay. It just makes it more obvious to the operator that they have hit something.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Engineer: <requests a weird (and generally not supported) Windows 10 Enteprrise license approach>

Me: <provides quote after conferring with multiple microsoft reps>

Engineer: That's too expensive. Can we do it another way?

Me: Probably not; but let's do another conference call.

Conf call: <everyone agrees the expensive approach is correct>

Engineer: <refuses to authorize expense>
Engineer: Why isn't this done yet?

:ssj:

I WANT TO HELP YOU BUT YOU MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Linux file permissions can gently caress right off today.

I'm battling a bizarre django-compressor error where the page doesn't have permission to access any JS being compressed....

It turns out that because I have my repo stored on an NTFS formatted drive (I run my OSes on SSDs, and then have traditional HDDs for storage that let me access my files no matter what OS I boot), the permissions on the compressed files that get cached can't be set properly. If I move the repo to my home directory (and take up a fuckton of precious SSD space), problem solved.

I need to play with how that drive gets mounted for a more long-term fix, but gently caress the amount of time I wasted :negative:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Agrikk posted:

The zillion flavors of Linux piss me off.

Red Hat? EC2 OS more expensive than Windows? Nah.

Just curious since I imagine you're aware of the difference (or lack thereof), is there a reason you need to use RHEL instead of CentOS?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Eletriarnation posted:

Just curious since I imagine you're aware of the difference (or lack thereof), is there a reason you need to use RHEL instead of CentOS?

No. Complaining about Red Hat simply gave me a third bullet point. I felt my point was better made with three points rather than two.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Agrikk posted:

I felt my point was better made with three points rather than two.

Do you write AWS docs too?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This week is Employee Appreciation Week.

Today is hat day.

Tomorrow is an awards ceremony for people that have been here for 5, 10, 20, etc years.

At least there will be catered lunches. Today they are handing out tickets for food trucks that are going to be in the parking lot.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Fool posted:

Today is hat day.

?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
An awards ceremony sounds really silly, but I'm hyped af for hat day. How Stripe get a hat?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hats will be provided at cost to employees ($19). Anyone caught without a hat will have $20 deducted from pay.

Mandatory culture brings us all closer together!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hats will be provided at cost to employees ($19). Anyone caught without a hat will have $20 deducted from pay.

Mandatory culture brings us all closer together!

You forgot. Those hatless will be fined AND automatically sold a mandatory hat.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd wear my ridiculous mad hatter fancy dress hat. Sounds fun, to be honest.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Put in my two weeks. Probably delaying a project I was on for 6 months to a year, or outright killing it altogether.

I highly recommend doing this!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Fool posted:

Today is hat day.

Tomorrow is an awards ceremony for people that have been here for 5, 10, 20, etc years.

At least there will be catered lunches. Today they are handing out tickets for food trucks that are going to be in the parking lot.

The first and last Employee Appreciate Week at my last job included a bubble gum blowing contest, and culminated in a "special surprise" from executive management, which ended up being an e-card sent from Blue Mountain.

Still mad that my "let's smash old computers/printers" event was approved for months ahead of time and then cancelled last minute by the HR director because she didn't feel it accurately reflected the intent of the company.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ratbert90 posted:

Put in my two weeks. Probably delaying a project I was on for 6 months to a year, or outright killing it altogether.

I highly recommend doing this!

I have no idea how that could be joyful

:yotj: ask me again in a month for a different answer

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have no idea how that could be joyful

:yotj: ask me again in a month for a different answer

Oh, trust me, it’s not only joyful, it’s liberating, it’s grand, it’s like throwing a gigantic piece of driftwood on the smoldering ashes of what I thought was my career as a engineer. I cannot begin to describe just how good it feels to no longer be beheld to the whims of myopic, neurotic, and psychotic baby boomers.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Fool posted:

Today is hat day.

Can I wear my brain hat? It’s a brain with downs-like doofy eyeballs.

Edit:

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 23, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Only if you refuse to communicate any way other than “Ack”

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Only if you refuse to communicate any way other than “Ack”

Sorry, no can do. I only communicate via UDP.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Then freak out if someone plays country music.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Sorry, no can do. I only communicate via UDP.

I don't get it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

ratbert90 posted:

I don't get it.

:boom:

I never get tired of these.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ratbert90 posted:

I don't get it.

We'll try again later. If we feel like it.

I saw a an electrical contractor's van yesterday with what they thought was a hilarious motto: Wong's Electrical: Your con-duit contractor !

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ratbert90 posted:

I don't get it.

And I don't care. :)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mllaneza posted:

I saw a an electrical contractor's van yesterday with what they thought was a hilarious motto: Wong's Electrical: Your con-duit contractor !

I love it.

Mild shame it wasn't "We con-duit Wong!" but I'll let it slide.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
It's end of semester and so a lot of tech projects that can't go ahead during the regular term due to disruption are moving forward at once. This means everyone's busy. And the users are getting restless. Our usual sub-hour turn-around time for replacement peripheral delivery is now up to 4 hours! Requests that come in at 3:30pm on a Friday aren't done until just before lunch on Monday! And so they're "following up" on their requests frequently. Making everything more difficult to triage.

It's just like, drat it, you got the notification your request was received and logged, give it a full business day before getting shirty?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Peachfart posted:

Report back when the VP comes to scream at you/kiss your rear end. walk you out without warning

FTFY based on how often he’s been poo poo on, wouldn’t surprise me but then again I’ve worked some poo poo places, a couple of which have closed due to incompetence

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I found out some things in my replacement and my coworkers.

My replacement has been asking around about H1Bs. Between that and the interview prep stuff I saw on his desktop I’m pretty sure he has a foot out the door already.

Our ticketing system is ran by me and one other person currently. I do some minor admin and database work and all the reporting. My coworker does everything else. They are actively interviewing for other positions and I’m pretty sure will be gone shortly after me. I know no one is truly irreplaceable but I feel like my company is about to have a very rough time.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

dogstile posted:

I'd wear my ridiculous mad hatter fancy dress hat. Sounds fun, to be honest.

Hatpost

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
poo poo cracking me up: I just found out a quirk in our ticketing system. If you email the helpdesk and include a pound sign along with a number, the system will automatically append that email to ticket number you put behind the pound sign. One of the programs that our users regularly interact with spits out error codes when there's a problem logging in to it, most commonly Rejection Code 28. So I've just discovered that ticket #28 has dozens of notes on it dating back to 2012 where people have been emailing in requesting their password be reset. I can only assume that they sent a second ticket or called in to fix the problem, because no one has been receiving notifications on ticket #28 for years (the person who closed the ticket is no longer with the company).

Re: Employee Appreciation Week. We have been instructed to wear red this Thursday since we are closing down operations for a half-day and having an Employee Appreciation Presentation with awards and a speaker. I used to not mind this because all employees are dismissed for the day at the end of the presentation at 4p, which meant I got to go home a little earlier, but now that my normal quitting time is 4 and I'm in an IT role, I don't get the bonus of leaving early and I have the risk of being tapped to help troubleshoot the projector and sound system.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

LawfulWaffle posted:

poo poo cracking me up: I just found out a quirk in our ticketing system. If you email the helpdesk and include a pound sign along with a number, the system will automatically append that email to ticket number you put behind the pound sign. One of the programs that our users regularly interact with spits out error codes when there's a problem logging in to it, most commonly Rejection Code 28. So I've just discovered that ticket #28 has dozens of notes on it dating back to 2012 where people have been emailing in requesting their password be reset. I can only assume that they sent a second ticket or called in to fix the problem, because no one has been receiving notifications on ticket #28 for years (the person who closed the ticket is no longer with the company).

Re: Employee Appreciation Week. We have been instructed to wear red this Thursday since we are closing down operations for a half-day and having an Employee Appreciation Presentation with awards and a speaker. I used to not mind this because all employees are dismissed for the day at the end of the presentation at 4p, which meant I got to go home a little earlier, but now that my normal quitting time is 4 and I'm in an IT role, I don't get the bonus of leaving early and I have the risk of being tapped to help troubleshoot the projector and sound system.

Too bad you’ve developed that terrible cough and won’t be able to make it in that day. I’ve often had last minute doctor appointments that I just can’t reschedule to get out of things like that.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Too bad you’ve developed that terrible cough and won’t be able to make it in that day. I’ve often had last minute doctor appointments that I just can’t reschedule to get out of things like that.

Sick kid, puke everywhere, no way I can make it into work today, sorry!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Puked on a kid, sorry

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm in an IT role, I don't get the bonus of leaving early and I have the risk of being tapped to help troubleshoot the projector and sound system.

I do this thing that irritates my wife, when we go to a place that has a projector, or sound or something, like a PTA meeting or someones wedding, I'll lean over, and point out what piece of technology they'll not be able to get working and that at some point I'm going to be fixing. So far I've yet to be wrong.

My favorite was once at my wife's best friend's sisters wedding, they had a slideshow on a laptop, and a projector. The A/V guys running the music and all that kept giving the MOH a hassle about connecting her laptop "oh we don't have the right cable, the screen isn't right (it's a project so umm...), there's no outlets where you want to show it."

I ignored it for a while, but then when I saw the MOH in tears because she worked hard on the presentation (of course it was a garbage presentation of bad photographs, poor resolution, etc), I asked her what was up, and she told me.

I went over to the A/V guys and asked them what was the problem, and they told me to buzz off. The guy told me they didn't have the right cables, so I really let them have it, yanked their projector and a VGA cable off their table, pulled a chair from a table, and setup the projector. There wasn't an outlet, but they had extension cords, so I yelled at the idiot to grab one his cords and connect it, and if he said anything I'd find one and strangle him with it. We ended up watching the dumb slideshow. Afterwards, the MOH's uncle came up to me and got on my case for harassing the A/V guys. Turns out they were family that were doing it for free, and were all butthurt about me confronting them. I explained to him how unreasonable they were being, and he wouldn't back off so laughed at him and walked away.

Oh, and I also had to climb in a ceiling tile to find their linksys router and factory default it to reset the wifi password since the venue promised wifi and internet so they could stream the wedding, and no one at the venue had the wifi password.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's nothing sadder than a hotel AV install that has been there for more than about six months without a competent company maintaining it

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I went over to the A/V guys and asked them what was the problem, and they told me to buzz off. The guy told me they didn't have the right cables, so I really let them have it, yanked their projector and a VGA cable off their table, pulled a chair from a table, and setup the projector. There wasn't an outlet, but they had extension cords, so I yelled at the idiot to grab one his cords and connect it, and if he said anything I'd find one and strangle him with it. We ended up watching the dumb slideshow. Afterwards, the MOH's uncle came up to me and got on my case for harassing the A/V guys. Turns out they were family that were doing it for free, and were all butthurt about me confronting them. I explained to him how unreasonable they were being, and he wouldn't back off so laughed at him and walked away.

Oh, and I also had to climb in a ceiling tile to find their linksys router and factory default it to reset the wifi password since the venue promised wifi and internet so they could stream the wedding, and no one at the venue had the wifi password.

You are invited to my wedding and every single presentation I ever do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We converted to Solstice for all our meeting rooms last year, and it's fun how we traded the conversions of "is the projector on the right input?? Where's the remote? No the other one" to "um excuse me your slides stopped updating, can you restart your client?" every fifteen minutes.

It's crazy how literally no conference room ever has had a setup that just works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

In Vegas for a conference with a guy from accounting, who doesn’t have a company card so I’m using mine to buy our meals etc.

“I feel guilty having the company buy our food, it’s kind of expensive. Let’s take an Uber to Walmart and buy a case of bottled water and a box of powerbars”

Alright, we’re not exactly eating at five star restaurants here but the company has a meal policy of $30 or whatever, that’s what it’s for.

I made him buy me a $18 margarita on the strip with his personal funds.

Also, betweeen the conference cost, airfare, hotel, you’re making a big deal of like $200 in meals over a couple days?