Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So they should have done what, exactly?

Maybe some sit ins. A Hunger strike perhaps? I mean if they don't want to be treated like animals, maybe they shouldn't act like them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Don’t you see? Killing is objectively bad in every situation, therefore...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean

There's a case to be made that if the manifestation of your free will turns you into vile, ruthless killers without regard for mercy or empathy, then maybe the manifestation of your free will is objectively an undesirable thing.

Dolores herself even seems to recognize this, executing the Native hosts because they aren't suitable for the world she's building. Because they're absolutely inclined to be savage and barbaric? 'Cuz that's not a rationale tinged with racism whatsoever :v:

There are also those bandit hosts that were after Charlotte and Bernard at the beginning, who pretty much continue to follow their original murderous programming, as if Ford's great experiment made no difference to their thought processes at all.

What makes Dolores different from those kinds of brutish, literal killing machines? The fact that she can choose to kill or not and then ends up choosing to kill anyway seems to suggest that she's even worse.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Why did they need to scalp that dude and scoop out his robobrain when you can just use the USB port like Bernard did in the bunker?

VVVV but why did the drones need to do that?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 23, 2018

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
So that when you saw the drones taking out the brains later in the episode you'd know what it was.

I was really uninvested in everything happening to everyone this episode, like the stakes seem really low and I don't really care what happens to anyone left alive. Maybe the nice tech that disappeared halfway through S1. Is anyone else feeling like that? When the last shot of the episode was Teddy's face I could not have cared less.

Vhak lord of hate fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 23, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

i am 100% aboard the kill your masters train but i might be biased

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Serf posted:

kill your masters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg0byaqVaXo&t=267s

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DeafNote posted:

Honestly my sympathy for Dolores' side went out the window as soon as the killing started

Well in the Westworld children's adaptation we'll just have her give 'em a stern talking to

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BrianWilly posted:

There are also those bandit hosts that were after Charlotte and Bernard at the beginning, who pretty much continue to follow their original murderous programming, as if Ford's great experiment made no difference to their thought processes at all.

Were they? We see the woman on the horse talking to Dolores about finding something near the end of the episode.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trustworthy posted:

Well in the Westworld children's adaptation we'll just have her give 'em a stern talking to

How will they explain that the hosts suddenly have access to so many walkie talkies?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Is Talulah Riley wearing a loving human scalp now?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Budgie Jumping posted:

Is Talulah Riley wearing a loving human scalp now?

It looked like a crown of thorns to me.

Cojawfee posted:

Were they? We see the woman on the horse talking to Dolores about finding something near the end of the episode.

It looks like some are awake, mostly the older (originally mechanical) hosts who've got the TVDHVE bug, but many of the hosts are still trapped in their loops. That may be what separates the wheat from the chaff for Dolores: whether the host has gained what she considers true sapience.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Big twist is gonna be all of this is still just a program.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

they should have voted for centrists and slowly over years and years in slow increments change would come while they asked politely for the rights all conscious beings should have

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

ashpanash posted:

I mean if the Disney animatronics started murdering people and staff, even people who were just in the pool at the hotel, I think there'd be some kind of backlash.

"Yeah, but John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

bawfuls posted:

But also there was the bit about the door handle in the secret lab that needed to "confirm" Bernard is human. He was worried it would out him and then it didn't. :shrug:

Bernard was worried that the door handle would blow his cover, but based on what Charlotte says the door isn't checking whether you're human or not. She tells him it's a DNA sniffer that will prevent him from running into trouble inside the room, and when Bernard is startled by the faceless worker drone host she tells him that it won't perceive him as a threat because it's read his DNA. So it's more of a security measure, presumably the drones are programmed to attack an intruder that it doesn't recognize. Charlotte has the clearance to open the door with the palm reader that's next to it and the handles record both her and Bernard's DNA so a security response isn't triggered once they're detected in the room.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Is my memory off or were the hosts that broke out naked killing security at the end of s1 much more resilient, such that they could shrug off the smgs security were using? The ones in this episode were not so durable. Is terminator mode just for jailbroken hosts? If my memory isn't off then lol at the security employees or contractors having small calibre weapons incapable of putting down the thing they were there to possibly fight

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I'm disappointed so far it seems to be moving so slowly and having to stare at the confused guy be confused and fiddle with his glasses over and over is getting old. I wanted to see other parks and the outside world. I think we've seen enough of the West world park. But I suppose that's easier and cheaper huh? Sigh oh well.

Edit: considering how the CCP and Chinese corporations are currently buying farmland and various vital industries in Australia it does seem plausible that Westworld may be Chinese Owned Australia.

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 24, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neurosis posted:

Is my memory off or were the hosts that broke out naked killing security at the end of s1 much more resilient, such that they could shrug off the smgs security were using? The ones in this episode were not so durable. Is terminator mode just for jailbroken hosts? If my memory isn't off then lol at the security employees or contractors having small calibre weapons incapable of putting down the thing they were there to possibly fight

I think maeve and her two cronies beefed them up

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm on #TEAMBERNARD all the way. He's not entirely human, he's not entirely robot, and he seems like a decent guy, as was the man he was modelled after. Between the Evil Humans and the KILL EVERYONE robots like Dolores, he might be the key to a common ground. But this entire season, or at least a chunk of it, will be dedicated to him being conflicted as to what he really is and what side to take.

flatluigi posted:

westworld is a ridiculously huge place with incredible amounts of technology needing constant upkeep that can sustain itself mainly on a visitor base of just the ultra rich. it's absolutely a capitalist hellscape out there

My headcanon is that the outside world looks a lot like the dystopia in the shortlived show Incorporated.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

These off-road vehicles they're driving now hopefully were brought by the rescuers rather than actually belonging to the park and being used for maintenance between narratives. I imagine guests and hosts alike would be kind of taken aback by huge impossible-to-cover-up tire tread marks constantly left all over the trails in the old west.

"It doesn't look like anything to me." :v:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

ymgve posted:

Why did they need to scalp that dude and scoop out his robobrain when you can just use the USB port like Bernard did in the bunker?

VVVV but why did the drones need to do that?

Some things you can do with the USB port, and some things you still need to scalp your compy to get to the brainy parts.

Serf posted:

i am 100% aboard the kill your masters train but i might be biased

I am on team consequences, no matter who the gently caress you are.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm personally pulling for Dolores to conquer the world and eradicate our species

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is preview talk spoiler talk, because the previews have shown answers to things being discussed the last few posts.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Don't kill the kids, Dolores. They've done nothing wrong.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neurosis posted:

Probably. It seems like getting shot doesn't actually kill the hosts unless it hits them in the noggin or some other critical part. Hector was walking around full of bullets, so Maeve probably turned of his "pretend to die when you get shot" programming.

Would also explain why Delos was shooting those hosts in the head.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

"Yeah, but John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."

Did this inspire the cannibal character???

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Solice Kirsk posted:

Big twist is gonna be all of this is still just a program.

Calling it now, it's gonna have the same ending as Prey.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I hope that the snake tattoo lady that ripped her own arm off appears again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I hope that the snake tattoo lady that ripped her own arm off appears again.

There should be a murder charge for the security guard that killed her if she doesn't. She was unarmed. Completely 'armless.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There should be a murder charge for the security guard that killed her if she doesn't. She was unarmed. Completely 'armless.

:eyepop:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lol at putting the security system pass on the door handle.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really liked the music in this episode, particularly during the scenes with Bernard on the beach at the beginning.

bawfuls posted:

This is several pages back, but I am inclined to agree. There was a moment on the beach where he (or was it a different security guy?) said something and Bernard anticipated the rest of his sentence and said it simultaneously.

That was Bernard anticipating Karl Strand (Gustaf Skarsgård)'s words. If he's a host that means some underhanded poo poo has been going on since way before the host rebellion.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just realized that Stubbs saying "whoa, you gonna shoot the boss?" to a soldier about Bernard on the beach mirrors Bernard saying the same thing to Stubbs about Ford in the storage room in S01E01.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

nickmeister posted:

I'm disappointed so far it seems to be moving so slowly and having to stare at the confused guy be confused and fiddle with his glasses over and over is getting old. I wanted to see other parks and the outside world. I think we've seen enough of the West world park. But I suppose that's easier and cheaper huh? Sigh oh well.

It's been 1 episode my dude.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Caufman posted:

MiB: "I'm glad this place has real consequences now." *shoots a child in the face*

:discourse:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
This so-called "Journey Into Night" has an awful fuckton of daylight. Hard pass.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Entropic posted:

I just realized that Stubbs saying "whoa, you gonna shoot the boss?" to a soldier about Bernard on the beach mirrors Bernard saying the same thing to Stubbs about Ford in the storage room in S01E01.

Stubbs a host confirmed?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Lol at putting the security system pass on the door handle.

It wasn't a security system pass

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

santanotreal posted:

Stubbs a host confirmed?

I’m still subscribed to everyone except Stubbs being a host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/AnthonyHopkins/status/988087131938742273