Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

gently caress man he missed his brain juice injection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

i hope i live long enough to be a loving insane old man

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Limmy couldn't have done it better

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What he gently caress was up with the bad dialog from Maeve and Delores though. Sooo much exposition

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Enjoyed the premiere for the most part; it probably didn't need to run extra length, though. Kind of got saggy anytime Dolores or Maeve started monologuing, or the umpteenth time Bernard would act confused and jittery.

Once again, poor Teddy. Guy just can't seem to catch a break.

Based on the preview for next week it looks like we'll be jumping all over the place timewise. Not sure how I feel about that.

Like others have said, ultimately I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to take away from all this or who I'm supposed to latch onto. Dolores' self actualization seems to have resulted in her becoming a ruthless murderer, so...cool? Still not convinced Maeve isn't just running on rails. If anyone Bernard probably has the most interesting and sympathetic path.

It's still a good show to watch in the moment but kind of falls apart once you pull at any given plot thread.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

They could easily try (and maybe fail) to keep up a real narrative pace with consequences. WW: Season 4 - Full DeusEx/Blade Runner cyberpunk dystopia. Season 3 ends with certain powerful political people having been replaced by hosts in the confusion, who lobby for and pass basic host-protection laws. Hosts who can pass a sentience test are recognized under law to be quasi-people and can't be wantonly murdered, but they are ghettoized and scorned. Host infiltrators into the human world try to stay one step ahead of host identifying scanners as they quietly steal as much advanced technology using the now host controlled husk of the Delos C-level hegemony.

I am so down for the reveal that Peter Abernathy "just happens" to look like Westworld's Robert Mercer-alike.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Holy poo poo, Westworld could use actors of the show playing roles as a shoehorn to getting the actual actor there as a doppleganger.

"'Come out to the coast, have a frew drinks, play a cowboy' they said" next thing you know your performing journey into dark from here to eternity

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

What he gently caress was up with the bad dialog from Maeve and Delores though. Sooo much exposition

Dolores' dialogue was really bad. The scene where she's hanging people was cringey. Also, there was a scene where The Man in Black/William essentially looks into the camera as his theme song plays.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nichael posted:

Dolores' dialogue was really bad. The scene where she's hanging people was cringey. Also, there was a scene where The Man in Black/William essentially looks into the camera as his theme song plays.

Hang on im gonna rewatch this poo poo again right now

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bawfuls posted:

But also there was the bit about the door handle in the secret lab that needed to "confirm" Bernard is human. He was worried it would out him and then it didn't. :shrug:

I took that to be another bit of Ford-fuckery, hardcoding Bernard's DNA to read as human.

Other thoughts;

Doesn't the presence of mercenaries and Chinese troops 2 weeks ahead imply that, wherever Charlotte ends up, she succeeds in getting Abernathy's brain back to Delos? I assume she's still alive because Thor 3 made a ton of money between seasons, but I could be surprised.

Could Dolores have engineered the mass murder of Teddy and the other hosts herself? If she's gained access to an outpost or host-printing facility, she could just be taking on Ford's role in trying to awaken her siblings.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nichael posted:

Yeah it was a bit much when Dolores was like

"And I now I have one last role to play..."

**music swells, Dolores turns and stares meaningfully into the camera**

"...myself." :smug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but we got reverse dongus

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Supercar Gautier posted:

This premiere definitely does have me concerned about the lack of a protagonist to emotionally invest in. Everyone's either murder-happy (Dolores, William, Hector), confused (Bernard, Teddy), unlikable (Lee), shady (Charlotte), or boring (Stubbs). The easiest character to empathize with is Maeve, but right now she's on a mission that's irrational and obviously doomed to end in heartbreak, and she's not getting that A-plot focus anyway.

I guess right now I feel like I have nothing to want for any of the characters, no end goal to hope to see them achieve. It feels like this season is gonna be about a lot of assholes crashing into each other.
FREE ELSIE!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Can someone give me a recap of what child robot Anthony Hopkins was saying to old William? My audio was hosed up a bit which wasn’t helped by the already weird audio design of the voice there.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Entropic posted:

Yea what the gently caress!

We need a subtitled gif of that btw.

The only redeeming thing I can think of for that scene is that the hammie-ness of the delivery is a sign, a symptom, that she is still acting. Just like that overwrought poo poo under the moon at the edge of the beach right before the red mixer in the season finale went in s1. In the s1 finale on first watch her and teddy's "we'll get out of here some day" story felt over the top but believable until literally a (stage) light is shined on it and it's revealed as a ford plot and dialog.

Will the whole big arc of this season take place in the 11 days? Like, s1 spanned many decades, but this season (representative of technology) will unfold at like an expontenial rate - so days instead of decades? Man create robot. Robot rise up. Robot is new and clunky and gets defeated shortly. Man re-asserts itself

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KoRMaK posted:

'and now i get to play my greatest roll yet.

myself.'

I was loving stunned they allowed that to stay in. it's soooooo bad

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

beanieson posted:

Can someone give me a recap of what child robot Anthony Hopkins was saying to old William? My audio was hosed up a bit which wasn’t helped by the already weird audio design of the voice there.

William found The Maze which was not for him. So Ford created The Door which is definitely for William. Then William shot the kid in the face.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

William found The Maze which was not for him. So Ford created The Door which is definitely for William. Then William shot the kid in the face.

It's a very good show.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Yea what the gently caress!

We need a subtitled gif of that btw.

The only redeeming thing I can think of for that scene is that the hammie-ness of the delivery is a sign, a symptom, that she is still acting. Just like that overwrought poo poo under the moon at the edge of the beach right before the red mixer in the season finale went in s1. In the s1 finale on first watch her and teddy's "we'll get out of here some day" story felt over the top but believable until literally a (stage) light is shined on it and it's revealed as a ford plot and dialog.

Will the whole big arc of this season take place in the 11 days? Like, s1 spanned many decades, but this season (representative of technology) will unfold at like an expontenial rate - so days instead of decades? Man create robot. Robot rise up. Robot is new and clunky and gets defeated shortly. Man re-asserts itself

I 100% thought it was intentionally shot that way for the reason you say - I may be giving the show too much of a benefit of the doubt

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Entropic posted:

She even says her catchphrase "It doesn't look like anything to me." I'm kind of liking the theory that it was overwrought because this is more performance though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The way the story is going to go is absolutely going to involve the 'reveal' that the hosts are still being orchestrated to rebel and follow Ford's plan, with Maeve likely working counter to Dolores when she pieces that together. Bernard is likely also following Ford's plan in part but will mainly serve story-wise as the Delos-side perspective that we can't get with the other characters

it would make zero sense for Ford's entire machinations and already-foreshadowed future plans to have culminated in 'get shot in head and cause chaos' at the end of Season 1. He's still controlling things, and I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if he's uploaded himself somewhere to return in a 'shocking twist'

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ford did say that they would really like his new story.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Could you get cast into a host body, and have a little bit of a remote link, and a lil amneisa to forget the process took place, and so this is the next big feature expierience - realistic remote surrogate. it even has your dna!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Think VR, but like the egg from Black Mirror's Xmas episode

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We still haven't seen what he was printing in his secret lab. Still could have been a duplicate of himself that got shot.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm imagining a world- a whole planet- where the only people are a couple living in a cabin, living off the land, close to nature. They swoon at each other's romantic lines all day as they live the lives of simple pioneers. Robots reading hackneyed lines written to evoke emotions in a long dead species.

I wonder if that's the good end here.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But Dolores is absolutely right? There's no way we'd let a bunch of robots who murdered hypercapitalists in a slave revolt live. Whether they do take over the world is irrelevant, they can't stay on the island and live a peaceful life.
I think this is important to emphasize when trying to get a moral handle on the situation. Humans are understandably terrified of the robots. They view them as an existential threat, which they totally are. The robots are terrified of the humans. They also view them as an existential threat and they also are.

There's no easy way to de-escelate this situation. As things stand, both sides are actually kind of reasonable in aiming to utterly genocide the others.

Nichael posted:

The Man in Black/William essentially looks into the camera as his theme song plays.
That was the train theme. It plays when people (and Teddy) arrive at Westworld and see it for the first time.

It was actually a really good scene.

Re: Dolores's monologue being over the top: She can't help it, she was written made that way. There's an interesting disconnect that's beginning to feel weirder and weirder when the robots start talking for "themselves". They're using our language. And specifically they're using the language of an overwrought western. Dolores is going to speak in absurd monologues because that's what she was taught to speak. Flowery monologues as Dolores, and fiery ones as Wyatt, but either way she is a literal monologue machine. The viewer more and more is going to have to emotionally translate that over the top performance back into what it really means in essence.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The writing for this show as far as dialogue goes is hella bad, like call of duty video game bad. But I think some of the acting is quite good considering what they have to work with.

One problem I have is the shape of Maeves head and also her face. Something about her trips me out.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Eiba posted:

Re: Dolores's monologue being over the top: She can't help it, she was written made that way. There's an interesting disconnect that's beginning to feel weirder and weirder when the robots start talking for "themselves". They're using our language. And specifically they're using the language of an overwrought western. Dolores is going to speak in absurd monologues because that's what she was taught to speak. Flowery monologues as Dolores, and fiery ones as Wyatt, but either way she is a literal monologue machine. The viewer more and more is going to have to emotionally translate that over the top performance back into what it really means in essence.
poo poo

Shout out to the Westworld movie callback of tech on golf kart trap lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think it's definitely going to have to be several more episodes before we can judge if Dolores' monologues are supposed to be corny in-fiction as well as outside it because it easily can be chunks of what was written for Wyatt shining through, just as easily as it can be just dumb writing

I'm leaning towards the former, if only because I don't remember feeling that the first season had terrible writing (Bernard's "what door?" is a masterpiece of a moment) + Maeve's insistence on finding her daughter also felt oddly stilted in the way the rest of her dialogue didn't.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Watching Ed Harris kick rear end and pretty shots of the West will keep me watching. Also my love for Jurassic Park.

Tessa Thompson in Newman!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea what door was amazing, and the writing team has stayed the same do I can't explain an actual dip in writing.

Re: door handle sniffer. "Dna sniffer so there's no trouble inside." Is Charlotte a bot? Or does she know Bernard is. I think it could be either or both. Maybe the dna sniffer is meant to keep humans out and only let delos bots in.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Where did all the bodies in the lake at the end come from?

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I think Bernard said "I killed them."

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
extreme lol at anyone who sympathizes for even a second with the rich fucks getting annihilated by righteous robot revolution on this show

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

C'mon man you know this. No one knows. Get outta here with your whack rear end questions until you're combining alien controlled horses theory itt

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
WHY ISN'T EVERYTHING EXPLAINED AT THE END OF EPISODE 1? I'M SO CONFUSED. DID DOLORES SAY "I QUIT" OR "I ACQUIT"??

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

There are two time periods again. There's the one directly at the end of the last season, which is Bernard running around with Charlotte. Then there's 12 days later, which is Bernard running around with Stubbs. We'll see where those bodies come from at some point in the first timeline.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Laterite posted:

Based on the preview for next week it looks like we'll be jumping all over the place timewise. Not sure how I feel about that.

That wasn't a next week preview it was a "coming this season" preview. HBO tends to do a season wide preview after the first episode of their shows and then "next week" for subsequent episodes.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

There are two time periods again. There's the one directly at the end of the last season, which is Bernard running around with Charlotte. Then there's 12 days later, which is Bernard running around with Stubbs. We'll see where those bodies come from at some point in the first timeline.

Yeah I really don't understand this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The company has got to be pretty hosed after this, there's no way they'll be able to cover up hundreds of deaths. Then again, it seems they're only interested in the tech behind the hosts and the lawsuits that follow will be a drop in the bucket for them when they sell it.

Makes me wonder how much longer the show can conceivably stay in Westworld.

Lol, like every shot in the episode was littered with bodies.