Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I thought it was supposed to be rifle tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Louisgod posted:

gamer: I have no time to play this huge back catalogue of games.
same gamer: welp watching video game reviews is dumb

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Also here's a gameplay preview of tinyBuild's Switch-exclusive Garage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ondYLJKx6tw

It's like a psychedelic Hotline Miami with zombies and robots? Releases in a few weeks.

Dang, that does look good though!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Louisgod posted:

*looks at stack of 44 unplayed games* hrm just not sure what to do here.
same louisgod: welp time to post on SA for seven hours straight.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Someone used Labo to make good use of that Zelda SE.

https://twitter.com/96pen/status/988410652698935296/video/1

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

And someone played a Splatoon song on Labo.

https://twitter.com/geniway/status/988359154203967489

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I saw a tweet where someone like... programmed (???) the a box to drop candy out of it when they played a set of notes on the keyboard. Is that like... a thing Labo can just do? Like how Minecraft they could build very basic computers INSIDE the game using redstone, can Labo be used to do something similar?

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Also here's a gameplay preview of tinyBuild's Switch-exclusive Garage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ondYLJKx6tw

Ooof I do not think this looks good at all

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988627868598001665

Undetectable
Unpatchable
No modchip required
Bypasses all signature checks
Allows extraction of all device data including Boot ROM and all Cryptographic Keys
"So obvious" it has been discovered independently by several sources thus far

I feel like someone really really hosed up huge here.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Retro pie when?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jokes posted:

Retro pie when?

Soon? Now? They got linux happening.

Like a Switch optimised port of Dolphin will be :monocle:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can't wait until someone can make a Linux thing operate within the Switch OS and you boot into an app called "retropie" for all your virtual console needs.

Can't believe they've basically just been running loving Linux and still couldn't make a virtual console.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Infinitum posted:

I'd lay the blame on NVIDIA, since this exploit not only works on the Switch but on any device using the Tegra.

Ars Technica posted:

The exploit, as outlined, makes use of a vulnerability inherent in the Tegra X1's USB recovery mode, circumventing the lock-out operations that would usually protect the chip's crucial bootROM. By sending a bad "length" argument to an improperly coded USB control procedure at the right point, the user can force the system to "request up to 65,535 bytes per control request." That data easily overflows a crucial direct memory access (DMA) buffer in the bootROM, in turn allowing data to be copied into the protected application stack and giving the attacker the ability to run arbitrary code.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like I am insanely hype about the potential of playing Mario Sunshine + Galaxy 1 + 2 on my Switch, and not bricking the thing in the process.

3DS Homebrew is an absolute mess of "Must have this version to be able to sideload from a Ocarina 3D save exploit, and it must be the 3rd moon of the lunar cycle"
Switch is like "Hey man, got a paperclip? Let me show you a thang"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I haven't done a lny hardware mods in a hundred years but if this means I can have portable Seiken Densetsu collection, I will do it.

Nintendo, ya had your chance.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988627868598001665

Undetectable
Unpatchable
No modchip required
Bypasses all signature checks
Allows extraction of all device data including Boot ROM and all Cryptographic Keys
"So obvious" it has been discovered independently by several sources thus far

Yay undetectable extraction and injection of data in games with big online playerbases

Edit: Anyone ever play Phantasy Star Online on things like the dreamcast? People would just hack in whatever they wanted on their character including if I remember correctly items that would do things like delete your character if you picked them up

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 24, 2018

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Paid online service can't come any sooner. With that level of intrusion, you can be sure you'll see dirty cheaters appearing in online games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yay undetectable extraction and injection of data in games with big online playerbases

Edit: Anyone ever play Phantasy Star Online on things like the dreamcast? People would just hack in whatever they wanted on their character including if I remember correctly items that would do things like delete your character if you picked them up

lmao if you didn't get NOL'd at least once a week

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
At least I'm bad enough at splatoon that the cheaters will probably outrank me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Infinitum posted:

3DS Homebrew is an absolute mess of "Must have this version to be able to sideload from a Ocarina 3D save exploit, and it must be the 3rd moon of the lunar cycle"
Switch is like "Hey man, got a paperclip? Let me show you a thang"

Have you checked on it recently? 3DS homebrew is piss easy to set up these days.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh don't worry about Splatoon 2! It already has no anti cheat measures and even took out the existing ones from the first game! (Which weren't that good, but yeah.) :shepicide:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cool I was thinking that I was enjoying playing Splatoon 2 too much so it's good that there will be a ton of hackers making it less enjoyable.

"B-b-b-but emulators", someone who already has a dozen devices they can play old ROMs on will say

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

"B-b-b-but emulators", someone who already has a dozen devices they can play old ROMs on will say
:ssh: They're not interested in hacking old games onto their Switch...

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh don't worry about Splatoon 2! It already has no anti cheat measures and even took out the existing ones from the first game! (Which weren't that good, but yeah.) :shepicide:

If it's any consolation, you can report hacking with the Splatoon 2 app. But other than that, the only major barrier is cold cash. Are people risking their investment for something that might get you banned?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Are people risking their investment for something that might get you banned?
The people buying lots of copies of PC shooters and also paying large sums for subscriptions to cheat tools that have more DRM than the actual games points to the answer being yes, people will in fact spend frankly unreasonable amounts of money to either pretend to be good and/or actively ruin other players' fun.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Kins posted:

Man, have you seen the Switch? It's a portable and a home console. You can use anything from a single joycon to motion controls or (probably) xbox or ps4 controllers with it. It's the most convenient piece of hardware there is for emulation.

I won't be hacking mine anytime soon since I'm too afraid of getting banned. But you better believe I'll do it years from now when the Switch is on life support.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Makes me sorta sad to know that the Switch is hacked now. I don't really know what it means for the console, but you know a bunch of pirates are salivating right now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry, being able to play a bunch of SNES games for 10 minutes and then never touching them again is more important that a lack of piracy and online cheating.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

jokes posted:

Can't believe they've basically just been running loving Linux and still couldn't make a virtual console.
"couldn't" :wtc:

Inzombiac posted:

I haven't done a lny hardware mods in a hundred years but if this means I can have portable Seiken Densetsu collection, I will do it.

Nintendo, ya had your chance.
You know you can just import it or get it on the eShop, right? Also it's not really up to Nintendo to localise a Square-Enix release.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Who exactly are you angry people getting angry at? Or do you just like being mad?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blamegame posted:

Who exactly are you angry people getting angry at? Or do you just like being mad?
Just internet mad probably. And I guess everyone has their reasons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

I am

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

The people buying lots of copies of PC shooters and also paying large sums for subscriptions to cheat tools that have more DRM than the actual games points to the answer being yes, people will in fact spend frankly unreasonable amounts of money to either pretend to be good and/or actively ruin other players' fun.

In games where it's really bad there's a financial incentive (selling loot crates or items) that doesn't exist in splatoon.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jizz Festival posted:

In games where it's really bad there's a financial incentive (selling loot crates or items) that doesn't exist in splatoon.
It's been an issue since well before those things, to be honest. Just dicking people over via unfair means has historically been enough of an incentive for the sorts of people who delve into this sort of thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’ve known since he MUD days that for some people, cheating is the game. I imagine that such people cheat in all aspects of their life too, whether it gives them any tangible benefit or not, since that’s just who they are as people.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously some people will still do it, but it doesn't explode into what we saw with PUBG unless there are financial incentives (or there's no way to get caught or no penalty). I don't think there's any hard data on this, but a lot of it is probably tied up in money laundering schemes as well.

Jizz Festival fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 24, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry, being able to play a bunch of SNES games for 10 minutes and then never touching them again is more important that a lack of piracy and online cheating.

the nintendo player base is generally more interested in single player games on the family of systems that's always at least a decade behind when it comes to any sort of multiplayer games that aren't couch co-op? how bizarre, i wonder how that happened

boots up a game on a different system with better networking, matchmaking, and in-game voice chat that doesn't require a smartphone app

but seriously lol at using the online multiplayer aspect of any nintendo game as a reason to say this is bad. nintendo's so poo poo at having client-authoritative stuff that multiple generations of consoles were downloading games for free directly from their eshop servers, hopefully the speed of this forces them to hire people who know what they're doing this time around

nintendo makes great games but it's like they've been living in a cave for two decades straight with the weirdest poo poo sometimes

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nintendo not having native party chat on Switch doesn't make it ok for Splatoon or Mario Kart to get ruined by cheaters.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I love my Nintendo SwitchSlippery Slope

South Park out in Australia. Gold version, with all the DLC, for $115AUD.
Good ol Switch tax

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I love my Nintendo SwitchSlippery Slope

South Park out in Australia. Gold version, with all the DLC, for $115AUD.
Good ol Switch tax
For reference, that's US$87.46, £62.74 or €71.63.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's not a "Switch tax", they're just charging full price for it.

• Locked thread