Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fermented Tinal posted:

There's an importer in BC selling a HZJ73 for ~$17k USD.

Are you sure you're not undercutting yourself?

Don't know! I'm flying blind trying to figure it all out on my own.
I know what I've spent down to the cent so if I do sell it for my asking price that's going to be a profit of about 70%, that's a lot of gravy.

I'll see what the reception is and adjust if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
People be Toyota crazy, man, the Land Cruiser tax is real. If you don't find a buyer in the next couple days, post it on yotatech/mud/pirate. Someone there will think they're getting it for a steal.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Man i tried to tell you, i wanted in on that 4runner

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Man i tried to tell you, i wanted in on that 4runner

I know, but it wasn't the right time and I wasn't into it. I'll see about what that oil leak on the diesel one I posted is though, hoping for valve cover gasket and not rear main. Also taking a look at an AZ-1, doesn't look too hot but if there isn't rot then that isn't anything a wrap can't fix.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I know, but it wasn't the right time and I wasn't into it. I'll see about what that oil leak on the diesel one I posted is though, hoping for valve cover gasket and not rear main. Also taking a look at an AZ-1, doesn't look too hot but if there isn't rot then that isn't anything a wrap can't fix.

Ha ha I know but but just remember I told you this was all the moneys! Maybe another one come along. Y’all were talking about these engines weren’t no blah blah we would have made out like bandits!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The diesel 4 Runner you just posted is worth going after for sure, looks like a winner.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

This thing could be use to make a bitchin' camper or RV, dang.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

24791 km = 15404 miles

:thunk:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The diesel 4 Runner you just posted is worth going after for sure, looks like a winner.

Nope! Turns out that the mileage is NOT verified and it looks like it's overheated :toot:

Inspections save the day again. Auction might be pulled.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Just wondering but how do the Nissan Patrol's compare to the land cruiser? Were'nt they pretty comparable in terms of style and ruggability?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 24, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
How would you normally compare a Nissan to a Toyota?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Like the Dallas Cowboys versus the entire sport of Soccer.

Yes I know what I said.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Senor P. posted:

Just wondering but how do the Nissan Patrol's compare to the land cruiser? Were'nt they pretty comparable in terms of style and ruggability?

I mean Patrols are super cool but so limited in production and years it is really no comparison except for what like late 60’s. So yes no comparison.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Senor P. posted:

Not as lively aftermarket system, not as active enthusiast community, seem to always have rust somewhere and not nearly as many out in the world. Since I only peek into this through Japanese auctions I could be way off/wrong/dumb as heck but that's been my observations. I'd like to pick one up just to see what they're like but it's difficult because Japan still likes Safaris/Patrols just fine where as the USA doesn't know them nearly as well. Means that I'd be competing against Japan enthusiasts without the same enthusiasts over here in the USA to sell to.

They do for considerably less money though and were certainly intended in competing with Land Cruisers.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Like the Dallas Cowboys versus the entire sport of Soccer.

Yes I know what I said.

That's... well, surprisingly accurate.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Just wait I'll be the coolest mother fucker at Cars and Coffee and show that Delorean jerk what's up :mad:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 24, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You won it? Jealous

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You hear that noise?

It's the sound of the entire forum being jealous as shiiiiiiiiiit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Especially for getting it so cheaply. It has some faded paint which is nothing a fine spritz can't fix or go even lazier and just wrap it. It might need a timing belt done as there is no indication when the last time it was done and I'm sure it will be filthy dirty and it does look like it has some goofy seats installed. It's going to be a project! A project that can fit under my bed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Especially for getting it so cheaply. It has some faded paint which is nothing a fine spritz can't fix or go even lazier and just wrap it. It might need a timing belt done as there is no indication when the last time it was done and I'm sure it will be filthy dirty and it does look like it has some goofy seats installed. It's going to be a project! A project that can fit under my bed.

I hate you btw.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Toyota vs Nissan is a big argument here in Aus, and you will NOT find people who stand with a leg in each camp.

Essentially the line is if you want a power train that lasts forever but the body rots off, but a Nissan. If you want a body that lasts forever but the drivetrain eventually shatters, buy the Toyota.

If you guys are paying $17K for 1HZ landcruisers... I should start buying diesel landcruisers and flogging them into the US. You can buy HZJ75 Troopys for gently caress all here. Let alone selling turbo diesels...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Cool as gently caress.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Congrats on that az-1!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Just wait I'll be the coolest mother fucker at Cars and Coffee and show that Delorean jerk what's up :mad:

Rad.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Patrol's can make a lot of sense if you live somewhere with cheap and plentiful supplies of RB motors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLYq5VZP3S8

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ferremit posted:

Essentially the line is if you want a power train that lasts forever but the body rots off, but a Nissan. If you want a body that lasts forever but the drivetrain eventually shatters, buy the Toyota.

So... Has anyone done the obvious yet?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm not in the US and not a truck expert, but I believe they have. It's called a Dodge RAM.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oh my god, I hate you. How I long for a tiny Japanese gull-winged rollerskate.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh my god, I hate you. How I long for a tiny Japanese gull-winged rollerskate.

Too bad you can't get a left one to go with a right one so you have a proper pair of skates.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

bolind posted:

I'm not in the US and not a truck expert, but I believe they have. It's called a Dodge RAM.

Well played.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Toyota vs Nissan is a big argument here in Aus, and you will NOT find people who stand with a leg in each camp.

If you guys are paying $17K for 1HZ landcruisers... I should start buying diesel landcruisers and flogging them into the US. You can buy HZJ75 Troopys for gently caress all here. Let alone selling turbo diesels...

If you have the supply for good condition troopys you could make a killing on ih8mud.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

KakerMix posted:

gently caress you!!!!!!!!!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

cakesmith handyman posted:

So... Has anyone done the obvious yet?

Amusingly there are LOTS of guys who are dropping the 4.2L Turbo Diesel from the 100 series landcruiser into GU patrols, since the GU's version of the 4.2L was stolen from a forklift and is a boat anchor and the 3.0L 4 pot turbo diesel has a habit of turning pistons into pieces and blowing up injector pumps.

The solid axle landcruiser guys do sometimes steal the patrol diffs to graft the centre into the toyota axle, since the GU's run an 11" crown wheel vs the Toyota 8"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
AZ1 looks good. I'd toss up whether a decent wrap is much cheaper than giving it a blow over somewhere, doing the prep work yourself.

Ferremit posted:

You probably should. Don't forget, Kaker's metric needs to be what will sell well in the US, so while there is some debate over Patrol vs Cruiser, the Toyota likely has a stronger marketability over there.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is an awesome buy! I really need to pull the trigger on something soon.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

AZ1 looks good. I'd toss up whether a decent wrap is much cheaper than giving it a blow over somewhere, doing the prep work yourself.

Either way it'll cost like £15 in materials... :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bolind posted:

No, those rust to pieces *and* the engine explodes (unless a Cummins). ...oh.
:golfclap:

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

KakerMix posted:

ohhhhh man that is fantastic! I think you just won the longest subjective ocean crossing award. I'm impatient for you, and I already got my tiny car.
You'll be doing a public service if you plan on driving it around. I've never seen passersby just ignite into grins before.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Jalopnik posted an article today about a JDM Kei car I'd never heard of before... the Honda Z!

It's a Kei class 4WD SUV that is mid engined, so there's a tiny front trunk you can never make use of.

Here's more info from a previous article they wrote.

Does anyone know anything about these? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on them at all.

I could get one since I'm in Canada. They seem quite cheap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You could carry snacks in the frunk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Thanks guys, I'm pretty excited. In looking at it I see those KENWOOD humps in the rear window there. I wonder if this has the factory subwoofer back there or if it's some sort of custom speaker setup. I also found out that the 'AZ-1' muffler on the back there is a Mazdaspeed stainless steel one that they sold. :toot:

InitialDave posted:

You probably should. Don't forget, Kaker's metric needs to be what will sell well in the US, so while there is some debate over Patrol vs Cruiser, the Toyota likely has a stronger marketability over there.

Yeah I wouldn't hesitate buying a Patrol/Safari if one looked neat but I wouldn't expect quick Land Cruiser money when it comes time to sell it, you'd have to explain what it is a lot more.

Femtosecond posted:

Jalopnik posted an article today about a JDM Kei car I'd never heard of before... the Honda Z!

It's a Kei class 4WD SUV that is mid engined, so there's a tiny front trunk you can never make use of.

Here's more info from a previous article they wrote.

Does anyone know anything about these? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on them at all.

I could get one since I'm in Canada. They seem quite cheap.

I know what they sell for.