Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rysithusiku posted:

Excuse me, the Jetpack Ninja Dinosaurs unit is clearly where the money's at.
And I'm not recruiting so bite me!

DO YOU REFUSE MY BATCHALL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Would someone mind telling me a bit about engines and how they affect survivability? Specific example could be the Uziel that I have... the free Solaris update one. I stripped all the weapons off and left the engine alone. I added 1x RAC5 to each arm. To fit enough ammo I have stripped the left and right torsos of almost all of their armor. As I get the magazine nodes I will drop ammo but had planned to use the freed up tonnage to upgrade the engine. Any guidance? Am I losing anything when the torsos get destroyed?

Also a basic summary of standard versus light versus XL engines would be awesome, along with any less obvious effects of choosing one of these engines vs another.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
From my understanding, if you can destroy 3 critical slots of an engine, it dies. For IS, you can get standard, light, or XL, where light has 2 critical slots in your left and right torso while extra light has 3 in your left and right torso.

So if you run an XL, you will die if someone blows up either your left, right, or center torso. A light will require both left and right torso or your center.

Clan XLs only have two critical slots in each torso iirc.

As far as understanding the engines, what I have read is that heat sinks in the engine work better than heat sinks outside of it, so having a larger engine can get you more heat sinks in it as well as heat sink slots.

You can trade the weight of the engine for torso slots which means you can potentially get faster engines at the risk of being more destructible.

It really sucks how expensive each engine is.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 23, 2018

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Would someone mind telling me a bit about engines and how they affect survivability? Specific example could be the Uziel that I have... the free Solaris update one. I stripped all the weapons off and left the engine alone. I added 1x RAC5 to each arm. To fit enough ammo I have stripped the left and right torsos of almost all of their armor. As I get the magazine nodes I will drop ammo but had planned to use the freed up tonnage to upgrade the engine. Any guidance? Am I losing anything when the torsos get destroyed?

Also a basic summary of standard versus light versus XL engines would be awesome, along with any less obvious effects of choosing one of these engines vs another.

Never strip torso armor, always max it out if you can

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pattonesque posted:

Never strip torso armor, always max it out if you can

Except the Sun Spider, feel free to strip that CT hard.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

STD: Heaviest, only die from CT destroyed
Light: Slightly lighter, die from CT destroyed, or left AND right. (if you lose one side, you lose half of your engine heatsinks and a quarter of your speed)
IS XL: lightest, die from any torso destruction (most fragile)

Clan XL: lightest, die from CT destroyed, or left AND right (if you lose one side, you lose half of your engine heatsinks and a quarter of your speed)

For most mechs the light engine makes the most sense as if you have lost both left and right torsos, you probably don't have any weapons left anyway. For some mechs STD is necessary to fit things like heavy gauss or if you have weapons in your head/ct and want to last as long as possible. XL is usually for specialized builds where you don't intend to brawl at close range or want to make a glass cannon. (Snipers, lrm boats, or really aggressive stuff like double ac20 jaeger) Some mechs are "XL Friendly" which means their side torsos are hard to hit from the front, like the catapult, so the fragility doesn't affect them as much.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 23, 2018

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Wheres my Stone Rhino that poo poo is like a day one collectors purchase for me.

Basically always take XLs on clan mechs and of course you must take them on lights. IS mechs outside of lights should do whatever you can to avoid them.

Clans XLs = both side torsos u ded
IS XLs = even 1 side torso u ded
IS LFE = need to kill both side torsos
STD engine = taking out the CT is required

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 23, 2018

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Great info, thanks. I'm going to have to re-think my double RAC 5 Uziel. Which is sad cause that thing own really really hard. Whatever I start shooting just runs away and hides, it's hilarious.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Great info, thanks. I'm going to have to re-think my double RAC 5 Uziel. Which is sad cause that thing own really really hard. Whatever I start shooting just runs away and hides, it's hilarious.

I haven't done it myself yet, but I've heard double lbx-10 is good on that Uziel in div 7.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

For quick play matches you can get away with just about any build. If you think it's fun, keep running it. No one cares if it isn't optimal.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
For sure... I think what I have set up though is the ability to die real quick from a light or XL engine in a clan mech with no armor on the torsos.

Which is consistent with my experience in that if no one pays attention to me directly and I just pin the throttle and flit from one enemy to the next I wreck poo poo. But the moment someone bigger than me decides I need to die, I get wrecked.

So I guess I'll have to figure out if it's best to drop to a std and go a bit slower or take less ammo and armor up the torsos.

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 23, 2018

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Third World Reggin posted:

As far as understanding the engines, what I have read is that heat sinks in the engine work better than heat sinks outside of it, so having a larger engine can get you more heat sinks in it as well as heat sink slots.

This gets repeated quite a bit, and it needs clarification. You get different values from Double Heat Sinks depending on whether they're the DHS that come with the engine, or if they're DHS that you add later. Some people think that the additional free slots for heatsinks you can mount directly in the engine at bigger sizes count, but from what I can recall from testing, your heat dissipation does not appear to change whether you mount those DHS in the bonus slots or not.

The values, for comparison, are 0.15 heat per second for a normal DHS, and 0.20 heat per second for engine DHS. This used to be easier to test, as normal DHS were 0.13 heat/sec for IS, so you could roughly compare six "bonus slot" heat sinks and see if they were equivalent to six or nine regular slot DHS.

Small light mechs (those who can't mount a 250 engine) get a quirk bonus to their heat dissipation to bring them up to the equivalent baseline for a 250 engine with the full set of 10.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Can you modify the loadouts of hero mechs?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

dogsupremacy posted:

Can you modify the loadouts of hero mechs?

You can swap out the components yes. If they are omni-mech heroes (clan) then you can also swap out the arms/legs/torsos/heads to customize them even further.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!
I'd like an invitation to WOL in remembrance of squawking! Ingame-name is "Henkeleinzapfung".

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Except the Sun Spider, feel free to strip that CT hard.

Throwing this out there, the last patch rejiggered the hitboxes. Haven't tried the SNS since then because it's a garbage mech even without the hitbox problems, but scuttlebutt says that at least the CT isn't impossible anymore.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I love the Locust (running with a 5 SPL LCST-3M) and Light Mech gameplay in general.

My god is it fun to nip at the heels of titans and yet still make a significant difference.

I only just started playing but I'm definitely going to throw money at this game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If you really like the locust, its Mastery Bundle is worth a look. $13 for the hero, two regular variants, and 30 days of premium time is a great deal.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 24, 2018

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

How feasible is this to play on a gamepad or with a joystick? I wanna play this on my couch/tv but lapboard/mouse is lame and not ideal.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Sextro posted:

How feasible is this to play on a gamepad or with a joystick? I wanna play this on my couch/tv but lapboard/mouse is lame and not ideal.

You will get more enjoyment and happiness from opening the box your gamepad or joystick came in than you will trying to play MWO with one.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Unfeasible. Flat out.

MWO is an FPS first and foremost, and the fidelity of a mouse is essential to performing well. Like, the game technically has pad and stick support, but you will get curb stomped by even the worst players who're using mouse/KB.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 24, 2018

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Are some mechs not able to be used in Solaris? It's only showing me trial mechs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Are some mechs not able to be used in Solaris? It's only showing me trial mechs.

Everything is broken out into divisions. You have to select the division that mech is assigned to in order to see it.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Sextro posted:

About 2 weeks ago I was in the same boat. I bought a joystick against the advice in here and promptly returned it and got a Logitec S502 Proteus Spectrum mouse per the advice in here. Its a game changer.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Is there an easy way to see which division one of my 'Mechs is in, or do I just have to cycle through the divisions until it shows up?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mech Divisions

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I play MWO with a Steel Battalion controller and a bunch of jury rigged N64 MAD KATZ controllers.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
So I set my idiotic Uziel up with a standard engine and enough ammo to work. Still basically no armor on the torsos. My question is, if I lose a torso, do I automatically lose the arm on the corresponding side? If not, are there any more subtle penalties?

I'm trying to figure out what the downsides of the build are besides the pilot being terrible.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah losing the torso also chops off the matching arm.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yes, losing a side torso also costs you the associated arm. Additionally, if you're running an LFE or Clan XL engine your heat dissipation gets cut by 50%.

As for armor on the torsos, always max it out. There is a time and a place to shave or even strip arm, leg, and head armor, but torsos need every scrap of armor they can get. You also want most of the armor to be front facing, with only 2-6 points on the back, depending on weight class and comfort level.

Edit: I'll also add that the Uziel isn't a very good mech to run RAC/5s. You need an XL to even approach having enough tonnage, and the UZL is one of the least XL safe mechs in the game.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 24, 2018

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Battletech comes out tomorrow for any of you strategy minded people. So now we have 2 stompy robutt games. When was the last time we had a proper Battletech based strategy and shooter game out at the same time? It had to have been when Mech Commander 2 was out, wasn't it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If you don't count Mechwarrior Tactics—which you shouldn't—then, yeah, Mechcommand 2. Seventeen years ago.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

If Battletech manages to bust itself into the mainstream through this game then HBG has done the world a service. Anything to loosen the iron but boring as gently caress grip Warhammer has on the grognard nerd industry can only be good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I dunno about mainstream. I'm just hoping for a couple of refined followup games from HBS, like they did with Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Edit: I said it in the HBS thread, but if the series does experience renaissance, then I think Alexander Iglesias deserves a lot of credit for updating the visual aesthetic.

Example: this is the same mech,

As is this,

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 24, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

I dunno about mainstream. I'm just hoping for a couple of refined followup games from HBS, like they did with Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Edit: I said it in the HBS thread, but if the series does experience renaissance, then I think Alexander Iglesias deserves a lot of credit for updating the visual aesthetic.

Example: this is the same mech,

As is this,

I still don't understand how someone who doesn't know what perspective is became the "official" battletech artist. All the mechs on Sarna ar laughable, there is not a single mech that looks "normal".

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah I've said it before but the Iglesias designs are dope as gently caress and overcoming how ugly aesthetically challenged the 80s designs are is a big part of appealing to a wider audience.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Oh yeah for the new people that want invites to WoL, join the discord and message BeefySupreme and I will fix it when I get home from work. Or if anyone can send you an invite right now, I topped up the account on friday and there should be enough cbills for at least 2 invites.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Axetrain posted:

Yeah I've said it before but the Iglesias designs are dope as gently caress and overcoming how ugly aesthetically challenged the 80s designs are is a big part of appealing to a wider audience.

The most amazing part of what he does is how he manages to keep the mech recognizable from the original art while improving it in almost every way. The Viper above is a great example of this even though there are substantial changes, you can still see the original design elements in the new one and at a glance the silhouette is very similar. Top-notch artist. It's almost as if the original art was someone drawing what they saw from memory, and the new art is an actual photograph.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Re: torsos, thanks all. My natural follow up question then is, what if any mech is a good candidate in the medium chassis range for decent speed and dual RAC5? I like the smaller chassis of the Uziel because it makes me less of a priority target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

decent speed and dual RAC5?

Pick one. The Bushwacker is the lightest mech I can think of that can mount two RAC5s effectively but it's not exactly a speed machine.