Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What about just saying “go find an independent Mac repair shop”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

nielsm posted:

If you can computers, you will computers. Forever.

Thread title.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What about just saying “go find an independent Mac repair shop”?

"Do you know where I can find one? How much will it cost? You seem to know a lot about this, can you take a look to see what's wrong before I bring it in? Hey Mac guy, this program doesn't work right, can you help me?!?"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That’s when you say “I don’t know anything about that stuff.” There’s no reason to stop before suggesting that they look for somewhere else.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"Do you know where I can find one? How much will it cost? You seem to know a lot about this, can you take a look to see what's wrong before I bring it in? Hey Mac guy, this program doesn't work right, can you help me?!?"

Can you just bring it in to the shop for me???

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You goons really have a hard time with the idea of saying “no” don’t you? Refusing to give basic no-effort advice because you’re afraid of them asking you to do something is some really socially awkward/avoidant behavior.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 24, 2018

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You goons really have a hard time with the idea of saying “no” don’t you? Refusing to give basic no-effort advice because you’re afraid of them asking you to do something is some really socially awkward/avoidant behavior.
Yet the same people will talk about the time they bulldozed every car in the parking lot because the boss asked them to work a 41st hour last week. We can't seem to decide if we're collectively spineless or unwavering.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm finding out that the people I sit with have some really, really specific hates.

I mentioned the LA beast in reference to something, they asked what he's most known for, i said competitive eating.

Next 5 minutes of conversation was them angrily talking about how competitive eaters are selfish and they're the reason the worlds really poo poo.

E: Regarding spineless chat, I was spineless 7 years ago, this year I take no poo poo because I don't care anymore. I find the longer I spend in IT, the less I care about what people think of me, so long as they still think i'm worth x amount of money.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 24, 2018

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yet the same people will talk about the time they bulldozed every car in the parking lot because the boss asked them to work a 41st hour last week. We can't seem to decide if we're collectively spineless or unwavering.

watch me :moonrio: right out of this :killdozer: after I told the CEO to :boom: because they had the nerve to ask me how to print a pdf.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

dogstile posted:

I'm finding out that the people I sit with have some really, really specific hates.

I mentioned the LA beast in reference to something, they asked what he's most known for, i said competitive eating.

Next 5 minutes of conversation was them angrily talking about how competitive eaters are selfish and they're the reason the worlds really poo poo.
They're selfishly hogging all the hilarious, that is for sure.

If you don't find a guy eating a Chipotle burrito in 4 bites hilarious, I just don't know what to tell you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bring it up again and comment how 30% of the food we buy ends up in the garbage can.

America is by far the most wasteful country on the planet when it comes to food, so a dude speed swallowing hotdogs is actually a better person than all of us because they actually eat the stuff.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah I’m friendly with this colleague but I’m not doing tech support for her even though we have a laugh together once in a while.

Good work on you being a loving doormat though because you think it’s antisocial to refuse to get involved in tech support.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Steakandchips posted:

Good work on you being a loving doormat though because you think it’s antisocial to refuse to get involved in tech support.

Ah, love the discourse.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Inspector_666 posted:

Ah, love the discourse.
Anyone who answers a question then defers to the experts is a loving doormat. Only a loser Yankees fan wouldn't know this.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I think this is worth reposting

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My peeve is when my parents ask me for tech advice, I give it to them, they don't follow it, and then get upset at me when I don't want to help them with whatever to did. My mom wanted a cell phone, she's completely tech illiterate, so I told her to get an iPad.

She ended up getting some anoi elf Android tablet, and when she attempted to factory default it, it just wiped the entire SDCard, and bricked itself. My bro spent HOURS trying to fix it, but if she had listened, it would have all been avoided.

Later, she wanted a cellphone, she was looking at the Galaxy S3 for whatever reason, maybe it was cheaper, but I told them "no, get an iPhone." They were miffed about the cost difference, so I offered to buy her the iPhone with the understanding that they won't need to call me for support with it.

My dad flipped out, like a maniac, that I wouldn't help mom with her phone if she didn't buy an iPhone. He was livid. It was completely ridiculous. I tried to explain to him that she wouldn't need help with the iPhone because it's clearly the easiest to use.

The best anecdote is that one time a guy called me, not even someone I'm close too, and said "Hey, someone gave me a computer, but I don't know the password, how do I get the password?" He barely even said hello, just launched into this. I responded, I'm not sure, what does the computer look like? Is it Windows? Apple? He said he wasn't sure. I ask what do you see on the screen?

He replied "Nepis"

"Nepis?"

"Nepis, yes"

"What is Nepis?" I say. "is that on the screen, on the case, where?"

"No idea, it just says 'Nepis'. How do I get the password?"

"Sorry, I'm not familiar with Nepis. I don't know. Maybe take it to Best Buy or something and they can reinstall Nepis. I'm not sure how to do that."

That was the end of it. One thing that came out of it is that now I use "Nepis" to refer to something that I have no understanding of.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Arrange By Nepis.exe

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I can say no to people asking for tech support outside of my job, sure. But when my wife is friends with a neighbor and that neighbor has issues with their PC getting a virus, and I end up getting pulled into the conversation, it's way more antisocial to say "no I won't help you even though I know what to do".

It's much better to feign ignorance in anything computer related to begin with and never let on that you have the slightest idea how all those silly ones-and-ohs work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Steakandchips posted:

Yeah I’m friendly with this colleague but I’m not doing tech support for her even though we have a laugh together once in a while.

So suggesting someone go to a store is getting involved in tech support? That’s really stupid, so I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you didn’t actually read my post.

It’s not anti-social to say “I work on computers all day, but I leave that at work. There are stores dedicated to fixing computers, though.”

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Speaking of family tech support, I was in a meeting and my mom calls me, I send it to voicemail because it's an important meeting, I assume she'll call back or text if it's an emergency. She calls back immediately I excuse myself.

She is looking for a printer and wants to know what to look for. I tell her to call me back after work I'm going to be busy all day.

She ends up with some no name $50 laser printer because lasers are good right? It's an all in one. She wants to use to scan to PDF, it only support BMP to an SD card or a connected cellphone, that or copy.

She is now mad that she called me at 10AM on a work day and that I wont set the printer to scan to her computer. Since it's been opened and it's a "computer" the restocking fee minimum is $30 so she's keeping it.

I don't know why I bother sometime, at least the wifi at my parent's house is good now that I bought them 2 unifi APs for Christmas and set them up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

pixaal posted:

Speaking of family tech support, I was in a meeting and my mom calls me, I send it to voicemail because it's an important meeting, I assume she'll call back or text if it's an emergency. She calls back immediately I excuse myself.

She is looking for a printer and wants to know what to look for. I tell her to call me back after work I'm going to be busy all day.

She ends up with some no name $50 laser printer because lasers are good right? It's an all in one. She wants to use to scan to PDF, it only support BMP to an SD card or a connected cellphone, that or copy.

She is now mad that she called me at 10AM on a work day and that I wont set the printer to scan to her computer. Since it's been opened and it's a "computer" the restocking fee minimum is $30 so she's keeping it.

I don't know why I bother sometime, at least the wifi at my parent's house is good now that I bought them 2 unifi APs for Christmas and set them up.

This is how I felt about my wife calling me in the middle of the day with a problem on her Windows 8 computer she refused to upgrade to 10 when she knew I had never used 8. Then she got upset when I didn’t immediately know every menu and option to fix her problem.

If she was a client I would fire her.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I feel like open and honest communication is key to solving these things here. I maybe spend 15 minutes here or there helping my mother with a computer problems, or advising folks on wifi.

Honestly the more annoying thing is coworkers asking me for advice on their gaming PCs or home wifi setups.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So suggesting someone go to a store is getting involved in tech support? That’s really stupid, so I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you didn’t actually read my post.

It’s not anti-social to say “I work on computers all day, but I leave that at work. There are stores dedicated to fixing computers, though.”

You really are as thick as pig poo poo as you don’t realise that offering any sort of response other than NO results in a spiral of stupidity as other posters above me have suggested.

Saying “go to a store” is getting involved in tech support as it will result in, as others have said, “what store” ad nauseum.

The first thing she did as I walked away is ask the guy sitting next to her to fix her MacBook for her.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So say “go to a store” and then say no past there. That’s not a magical secret handshake contractually obligating you to help someone. If suggesting someone go to the store is tech support, my computer illiterate mother in law has gotten involved with tech support. And that means I’m a personal shopper for people in YLLS.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I think it is best if we agree to disagree.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That’s fine. I’m hangry and an executive assistant is being a pain in my rear end today. She’s trying to make calls that she doesn’t have the authority to make and asking us to do thing that are Accounting’s responsibility.

This is the same woman that tried to imply the CEO would be angry if I didn’t give her access to another employee’s account.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Steakandchips posted:

You really are as thick as pig poo poo as you don’t realise that offering any sort of response other than NO results in a spiral of stupidity as other posters above me have suggested.

Saying “go to a store” is getting involved in tech support as it will result in, as others have said, “what store” ad nauseum.

The first thing she did as I walked away is ask the guy sitting next to her to fix her MacBook for her.

Cringe city.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Much like saying "go to a doctor" is getting involved in medical diagnosis, and "go to a mechanic" is getting involved in the automotive industry.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Much like saying "go to a doctor" is getting involved in medical diagnosis, and "go to a mechanic" is getting involved in the automotive industry.

It is when you are a doctor or a mechanic. But doctor, I know you're a neurosurgeon, but can't you tell me why my hip hurts before I go to the "hip doctor"?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Exactly, if it was a doctor saying it, or a mechanic.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Man, reality must be oppressively crushing for some of you folks.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Lol, nope. It's pretty sweet, because I just tell people to google poo poo if I don't feel like getting involved.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The daily struggle :smith:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Bunni-kat posted:

Lol, nope. It's pretty sweet, because I just tell people to google poo poo if I don't feel like getting involved.

Sounds like you're getting involved in the search and algorithm business. Best avoid, I'd suggest hiding under a desk when humans approach.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Some of yall are laboring under the idea that everyone is a rational actor.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

When normal conversation delves into your area of expertise and people assume you want to help from the goodness of your heart, yes it gets oppressive. Either you help once and are indebted to help forever, or you draw a line in the sand that makes it clear you don't intend to be kind.

My sister in law is graduating from nursing school. My wife asks her for advice all the loving time. Similarly, to repay that, I do free IT work when her computer breaks or my wife bakes stuff for her parties. It's not always possible to say no when there's an underlying relationship on the line.

That's why with neighbors and other non-close family I pretend I have no idea what computers do and let them assume I'm really bad at my job.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sounds like you're getting involved in the search and algorithm business. Best avoid, I'd suggest hiding under a desk when humans approach.

See, the problem with you is that it's loving "all or nothing." There's no shades of grey. You think you're really clever, but you're just being a sperg over it. It's not a good look for someone who is trying to pretend they're so much more socially focused.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Volguus posted:

It is when you are a doctor or a mechanic. But doctor, I know you're a neurosurgeon, but can't you tell me why my hip hurts before I go to the "hip doctor"?

“No, I can’t.”

If they persist, repeat as often as you want before adding “please stop bothering me.”

I have done tech support for family, but only for money, except for my wife. There are other arrangements there.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I just read nepis.txt before getting a call at work and i had to put myself on mute for 2 minutes so i could compose myself hoooly lol

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Bunni-kat posted:

See, the problem with you is that it's loving "all or nothing." There's no shades of grey. You think you're really clever, but you're just being a sperg over it. It's not a good look for someone who is trying to pretend they're so much more socially focused.

See below.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

“No, I can’t.”

If they persist, repeat as often as you want before adding “please stop bothering me.”

I find the idea of telling someone to go to a store representing some kind of stake or ownership in a problem pretty hilarious, but you do you. Perhaps whenever you're confronted in such a way you can shed a limb like a lizard does with its tail. They probably won't ask again after that, they'll be way too distracted by the blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think some people have been conditioned to feel like saying “no” to someone asking for help is rude, but really it’s just assertive. People badgering you after you say no are the ones who are rude.