Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hearthstone has never crashed on me what are you on about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A.o.D. posted:

Man, this sure does have some load times, doesn't it?

They've been my only real problem so far

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

lovely optimization, endless bugs, problems with gysnc/freesync/etc, and general fragility always on the edge of crashing.

You've just described almost every single game at launch for the past 5 years.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

i'm stuck on the first mercenary mission...

I beat all the enemies so it left combat but now i have to destroy the corpsec tower but it won't let me shoot guns since i'm not in combat.

How to i manually initiate combat so i can shoot?

edit: oh, the attack button...

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One thing that strikes me as really weird is an oddity of the salvage mechanics.

Blow off both of a mech's legs? Two salvage pieces. Blow off both side torsos of a mech and one of it's legs so that it falls over and kills the pilot?

That is a pilot incap, 3 salvage pieces! Even though you shot most of the mech off first.

Apart from that the game is huge fun and I played it for over six hours non stop before it crashed on mission completion and made me realize it was past midnight and well past time to go to sleep.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Propaganda Hour posted:

You've just described almost every single game at launch for the past 5 years.

I'm only going by personal experience. I haven't had any major problems with any games in the last five years, EXCEPT Unity games. Launch issues can be fixed, but problems with Unity seem inherent to the engine and often nothing can be done about it.

I mean, Unity games are the only ones where I've seen devs throw up their hands over an issue and say "This is just the way the engine is, we can't fix X issue."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Eej posted:

Hearthstone has never crashed on me what are you on about
I have absolutely had Hearthstone crash on me off and on across multiple PCs. It's pretty random though.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
loving hell, this game is brutal. Took me like six tries to finish the first mission. First time I was doing really well, the the very last tank that spawns shot the leg off a mech that hadn't been damaged yet. The absolute best attempt I managed had two of my mechwarriors out of action for a month due to those missile spewing death turrets being able to blast chunks off pilots without actually hitting the mechs.

Question time though. When the Leopard lands on top of your lance, kills everyone and destroys every mech you have on the field, that's a bug, right?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think my favorite thing about games threads on release day is the stream of people strolling by to tell folks they aren't getting a game like literally anyone cares.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

King Doom posted:

loving hell, this game is brutal. Took me like six tries to finish the first mission. First time I was doing really well, the the very last tank that spawns shot the leg off a mech that hadn't been damaged yet. The absolute best attempt I managed had two of my mechwarriors out of action for a month due to those missile spewing death turrets being able to blast chunks off pilots without actually hitting the mechs.

Question time though. When the Leopard lands on top of your lance, kills everyone and destroys every mech you have on the field, that's a bug, right?

:stare:

yes, that's a bug

and the best one reported yet

(also the first post-tutorial mission is the most brutal you'll run into for a while)

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Managed to get a few hours in. Game seems alright once you turn off some of the "action cam" elements, dont need to wrench my camera about for every footstep I take or each shot. Melee hits and Crits, fine, my mechwarrior farting in his cockpit, no.

Digging some of the sound design so far, the backing track playing during the cutscene after the first mission (and in the wee story bit after that) was lovely.

King Doom posted:

Dunno, sounds pretty hilarious to me, shouldnt let your dropship pilot drink on the job! :v:

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 25, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think my favorite thing about games threads on release day is the stream of people strolling by to tell folks they aren't getting a game like literally anyone cares.

Actually on reflection it's the same half dozen or so people.

Weird.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:stare:

yes, that's a bug

and the best one reported yet

(also the first post-tutorial mission is the most brutal you'll run into for a while)

Kiva said it was a deliberate skill check

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
where do the save files live? are they easily edited? i want to change my name and origin but i dont feel like doing the tutorial again...

also, i really hope the next shadowrun has this kind of random mission stuff going on

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
So do priority missions ever auto-fail or disappear or something if you don't take them or is it safe to just clean up all the side missions you want before taking them on?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'll have a more involved first impression later tonight but I just want to start out by saying how disappointed I am you can't make your character monstrously fat.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Sheep posted:

So do priority missions ever auto-fail or disappear or something if you don't take them or is it safe to just clean up all the side missions you want before taking them on?

I think you can save them as long as you like

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I wish the game had a general speedup option like XCOM 2. The jerkiness between animations during attack phases is pretty jarring, too. But it's turn-based stompy robit fun so hey!

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Made a difficulty increasing mod.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ggs-release-day-hard-mod-mod.1091389/

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
help

Did I miss something finished tutorial had a really breif talk to dude about saving me and then on another mission and save file says 3 years later??

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You did not miss anything.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Draynar posted:

help

Did I miss something finished tutorial had a really breif talk to dude about saving me and then on another mission and save file says 3 years later??

It's just a continuation of the prologue. Real game picks up after it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Draynar posted:

help

Congratulations on your discovery of a literary device called a "time skip"

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
After I just closed and relaunched Steam, it downloaded a 15.4 meg update to the game. I have no mods installed; anyone else see this?

EDIT: Never mind -- I think it was the preorder Shadowhawk Pack.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 25, 2018

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Here's a thing I appreciate that I rarely see in games: if you wipe out everyone on the map, you don't have to run all the way to the extraction point

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Umbra, the name of the (skin of the) pre-order Shadowhawk is an ugly looking fucker. He also has your unit emblem show up on the skin! except the knee one is upside down and the chest one gets obscured by the launchers, unless you remove them.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Congratulations on your discovery of a literary device called a "time skip"

it was super jarring like i thought i skipped poo poo as they gave no lead into a time skip just happens.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've yet to find a single Unity game that didn't have some major engine-based problem.

I'm sure the gameplay is great, but I'm tired of dealing with Unitys lovely optimization, endless bugs, problems with gysnc/freesync/etc, and general fragility always on the edge of crashing.

As someone who has worked with Unity, it is indeed an issue with almost every game made with it. Optimization is certainly possible, but the big issue is on the engine developer's side.

That said, it has gotten better in recent years. When it doesn't decide to stop working after particular updates.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kind of surprised that elevation doesn't really play in this game, I thought I remember that being a big thing in MechCommander.

Also LMs kind of suck and that makes me sad.

peer posted:

Here's a thing I appreciate that I rarely see in games: if you wipe out everyone on the map, you don't have to run all the way to the extraction point

It makes it kind of funny when they go "Oh good job on the missions, just go along this PERFECTLY EMPTY path to extraction. No enemies. Never."

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
Chalk me up to someone who can't even get past the first training mission. After successfully completing it, it'll crash out, and I have to replay it. Sucks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Draynar posted:

it was super jarring like i thought i skipped poo poo as they gave no lead into a time skip just happens.

jar·ring
ˈjäriNG/Submit
adjective
incongruous in a striking or shocking way; clashing.
"the telephone struck a jarring note in those Renaissance surroundings"
causing a physical shock, jolt, or vibration.
"the truck came to a jarring halt"

:thunk:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wow the first Catapult K2 I ran into just loving headshot Behemoth from out of sensor range and now she's dead

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

I really wish paradox would send me my reset password link :(

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

jar·ring
ˈjäriNG/Submit
adjective
incongruous in a striking or shocking way; clashing.
"the telephone struck a jarring note in those Renaissance surroundings"
causing a physical shock, jolt, or vibration.
"the truck came to a jarring halt"

:thunk:

Quit being an rear end, the guy asked a perfectly polite question about something that confused him.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Kind of surprised that elevation doesn't really play in this game, I thought I remember that being a big thing in MechCommander.

What? Oh god I need a mod for this so bad.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Quit being an rear end, the guy asked a perfectly polite question about something that confused him.

no sorry "jarring" is one of those overused goonisms that needs to be taken out back and shot

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

So, uh, does anyone know the save file locations? I switched the install file from my regular drive to my SSD through steam and it unlinked the save. Or deleted it.

E. Never mind, restarting helped somehow.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Umbra, the name of the (skin of the) pre-order Shadowhawk is an ugly looking fucker. He also has your unit emblem show up on the skin! except the knee one is upside down and the chest one gets obscured by the launchers, unless you remove them.

loving incredible

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

no sorry "jarring" is one of those overused goonisms that needs to be taken out back and shot

Well, it was "incongruous and clashing" time skip in my opinion. Wasn't I supposed to be dropped off at the nearest planet? What just happened? It's a small gripe, but it's as good a word to describe it as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh, the default Tbolt 5SE loadout sucks all the rear end