Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Solice Kirsk posted:

Rome, but with dragons. I'd watch that.

Oh! Or Rome, but with dragons, and robots! Someone get a hold of that one goon with Rome robot red text and let him know we've found a place for him!

Ever since I first became a goon I've always wondered: what the gently caress was the context/story behind that redtext?
I mean, okay, I know Rome did not have robots (fuckwit) but why was this necessary to point out and why was it necessary for someone to get a redtext over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Why not?

(i'm also curious)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
At this year Westworld season finale it will be revealed that Westeros was just another park (TitsAndDragonsWorld) and it doenst have an ending of course, it just loops back to the beginning

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Ever since I first became a goon I've always wondered: what the gently caress was the context/story behind that redtext?
I mean, okay, I know Rome did not have robots (fuckwit) but why was this necessary to point out and why was it necessary for someone to get a redtext over it?

If I remember correctly, he got that in a pen and paper RPG thread about ancient Rome where he kept trolling saying he wanted to be a robot.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So this guy has time to put together a 1000 page history book then.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Elias_Maluco posted:

At this year Westworld season finale it will be revealed that Westeros was just another park (TitsAndDragonsWorld) and it doenst have an ending of course, it just loops back to the beginning

There's apparently 6 other (or total) parks so if they ever actually address that it's almost guaranteed one of them is a stupid rear end medieval fantasy world.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Elias_Maluco posted:

The others are actually humans from our world, all the characters are robots.

These violent delights have absent ends.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I do not want to live in a universe filled with an effectively infinite number of monkeys and typewriters. My jaw can only be ripped out of my head so many times, and you know every goddamn monkey will want to do it.

And the infinitely echoing carriage return chiming...

Let's see... The more she drank the more she shat, but the more she shat the blurstier she grew? You stupid monkey!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just saw an article where our favorite author stated Winds of Winter won't be coming out this year. :sigh:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

RCarr posted:

Just saw an article where our favorite author stated Winds of Winter won't be coming out this year. :sigh:

Where the text states "this year" it is important to note that it is always this year.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

:monocle:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RCarr posted:

No, but some history book about the Targaryens literally no one asked for WILL BE, however :eng101:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RCarr posted:

I wonder if anyone in the world was actually expecting that it would

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

RCarr posted:

Dammit, you invalidated what would have been a very funny hyperlinked "the new ASoIaF book is out this year- 640 pages" bait and switch post.

(Not sarcasm, I always laugh when those pop up)

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

RCarr posted:

Gasp

(I don’t care, gently caress that guy)

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

RCarr posted:

It's going to be the closed captioning from the show, and Google Deepmind algorithm generated image descriptions.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I like how's he's stressing that this is not a novel, it's a history book, it's not to going to be enjoyable to read in any way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

I like how's he's stressing that this is not a novel, it's a history book, it's not to going to be enjoyable to read in any way.

Oh it's even better than that. It's PART ONE of a history book, with part 2 by his own admission being "years away" at best. Even GRRM's stalling tactics have fallen victim to stalling tactics.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is the interview anywhere online?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So it's the GRRMarillion. Wonderful.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

Is the interview anywhere online?

Please Try to Be Surprised: George R.R. Martin's The Winds of Winter Is Definitely Not Coming in 2018

James Whitbrook posted:

... Fire and Blood, the first volume in what Martin has previously described as a two-part history, covers the lives and times of the first seven Targaryen rulers of Westeros, 300 years before the events of A Game of Thrones, from Aegon the Conqueror to Aegon III, the Dragonbane. The rest will be told in a future volume, but according to Martin, that will be “a few years down the pike,” so please look forward to it still arriving before The Winds of Winter does.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thanks.

To be frank I kind of liked the pseudohistorical stuff he's put in the Dozois anthology so I'll be there for that.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
VALYRIA DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

So it's the GRRMarillion. Wonderful.

Half of it. He can't finish anything.

Edit:

"it's sets the scene for the heart-stopping series conclusion, The Winds of Winter."

It's heart-stopping because GRRM's heart will stop while he's writing it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 26, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Lycus posted:

It's heart-stopping because GRRM's heart will stop while he's writing it.

Don't be ridiculous. We all know his pump is gonna give out while writing a football blog post.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lycus posted:

"it's sets the scene for the heart-stopping series conclusion, The Winds of Winter."

So he's just gonna axe A Dream of Spring, and end the series with The Winds of Winter?

The answer is no, because he will never finish The Winds of Winter.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

RCarr posted:

In 2015 he promised his publishers that he could finish it in 3 months.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Ague Proof posted:

In 2015 he promised his publishers that he could finish it in 3 months.

could ≠ would

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Lycus posted:

It's heart-stopping because GRRM's heart will stop while he's before writing it.

Ftfy

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well he could say it is done now and release it, no matter how done it actually is

Inst that kinda what happened with the last book anyway?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
You're not gonna finish 1, or 2 or 50 books Why not just come up with 100 different ASOIAF spin-off titles and make it look like you just bit off more than you could chew?

Answer: because writing the 100 different titles would congeal into "book" status for GRRM, dooming him to never actually finish the list.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lycus posted:

Half of it. He can't finish anything.

I was pretty miffed when I got to the end of the Dunk and Egg book and realized he didn't finish that one either.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, some of the best stuff Kafka written he left unfinished

GRRM is no Kafka, though

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Fake writing fantasy history doesn't really count as writing, guys, and it's a side gig anyway, and not really important, so of course he's gonna do it. Like little wiki articles poorly put together and turned to ruin in edit wars by zealous sycophantic fans that haven't gotten the memo yet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Hey, if GRRM really wants to be the American Tolkien, maybe he should die, too. It's the only ending we can count on him delivering.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Hey, if GRRM really wants to be the American Tolkien, maybe he should die, too. It's the only ending we can count on him delivering.
He wants to be, but - as always - fails to deliver.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I know he's said none of the spin-offs being worked on are Targ History, but I'd be very surprised if the main drive of this book wasn't somehow related to chasing those HBO bucks.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

I know he's said none of the spin-offs being worked on are Targ History, but I'd be very surprised if the main drive of this book wasn't somehow related to chasing those HBO bucks.

I wonder how big the "from the author who inspired the hit HBO series Game of Thrones" sticker is going to be.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think you've discovered the secret to the Gurm's long life. In his attic there is a mysterious painting of young gurm, but it isn't finished, so he doesn't stay young, but he can never die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GRRM posted:

Understood, Mel… but here’s the thing. You call LOTR “the main story,” but if you had asked Tolkien, he would have said the SIMARILLION was his main story, his life’s work. Yet he was never able to complete it during his lifetime.

GRRM posted:

Just for the sake of argument, let me point out that many many people invest their time into works without endings. F. Scott Fitzgerald never finished THE LAST TYCOON, Charles Dickens never finished EDWIN DROOD, Mervyn Peake never finished TITUS ALONE, yet those works are still read.

I do intend to finish A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, of course… but doubtless Peake, Dickens, Fitzgerald, and Tolkien would have said the same.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 1, 2018