Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The boot camp is the best part of the movie because it maintains a cohesive thesis and a constant ratcheting up of tension. The rest of the movie is a mess, with some really good scenes that end up being dissolved into liberal war is heck maudlin.

pretty much exactly this

it's like watching two films

B b but I'm Stanley And I'm Wacky™

e: aww yeah im leaving this because it flaunts that sick ART Krew tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I hated how the big racist rear end in a top hat soldier never got his come uppance in Full Metal Jacket. I also hated how the soldier was begging them to kill her, that really lessened the "oh my gosh" factor to me.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

this person is the most tedious and obnoxious writer for the stranger and just wrote one of her most tedious and obnoxious articles i’ve read yet

https://twitter.com/kittypurrzog/status/988886513994776576

i mean my god

okay i realize this is more local than national media but god drat it she always has the worst loving takes

https://twitter.com/kittypurrzog/status/989225670864617472

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lmao loving seattle

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

okay i realize this is more local than national media but god drat it she always has the worst loving takes

https://twitter.com/kittypurrzog/status/989225670864617472

Follow the polls
Ignore the trolls

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

an actual dog posted:

lmao loving seattle

portland's somehow more racist hat

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the only good city is chicago

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

an actual dog posted:

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

an actual dog posted:

the only good city is philadelphia

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

an actual dog posted:

oh hey welcome back to the forums migf

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

never seen this pic before,

believed genuinely for a few instants that was a cobra

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

The R. Lee Ermey part was the only good part of the movie. But I don't know how anyone could watch it and then want to go through boot camp and off to war.

The whole movie rules, the back half being slow as gently caress is intentional, the gently caress is wrong with you

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Literally a movie about how boot camp gets you hype as gently caress and then war is a confusing mess where a lot of the time nothing happens and somehow goons don't get it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Over Easy posted:

never seen this pic before,

believed genuinely for a few instants that was a cobra

it's the greatest picture ever taken

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Literally a movie about how boot camp gets you hype as gently caress and then war is a confusing mess where a lot of the time nothing happens and somehow goons don't get it

I don't care if it's intentional. Does "a confusing mess where a lot of the time nothing happens" sound like a good movie to you?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

I don't care if it's intentional. Does "a confusing mess where a lot of the time nothing happens" sound like a good movie to you?

I mean full metal jacket is great so

Yes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Do you get mad that the geography of the overlook hotel is physically impossible and inconsistent too

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No but I get super mad when people don't like the same movies I do, like super mad. That's cool, right?

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

He thinks he's John Wayne

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

No but I get super mad when people don't like the same movies I do, like super mad. That's cool, right?

Welcome to the internet bitch

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ah, see we got ourselves a David Lynch fan here

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, see we got ourselves a David Lynch fan here

The only Lynch thing I've ever watched is Twin Peaks season one and it's great so

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/989296307054432256

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Can I be one of those people who thinks that UBI would actually hurt workers? And that a universal job guarantee along with a government program promoting worker owned firms would be fare better?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Can I be one of those people who thinks that UBI would actually hurt workers? And that a universal job guarantee along with a government program promoting worker owned firms would be fare better?

right heres the thing though: gently caress work

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Venuz Patrol posted:

I'll admit I am not a luxury gay space communist. I want to be able to work in space while being gay and owning what I get from gay communist space work.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Venuz Patrol posted:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Work sucks poo poo and makework is even worse

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

a job guarantee combo'd with a 30-hour or less workweek is the way to go, imo. if the soviets could do a 35-hour workweek in 1966 we've got no fuckin excuse

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
people who want to work should be given the opportunity to do so, but we also shouldn't tie the ability to survive on whether or not someone has or wants to work

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yeah, a living wage ubi indexed to inflation is also necessary. but when we're talking about doing all that we might as well just start talking about revolution

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Venuz Patrol posted:

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Oh and a negative income tax would work much better than UBI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

R. Guyovich posted:

yeah, a living wage ubi indexed to inflation is also necessary. but when we're talking about doing all that we might as well just start talking about revolution

Yeah that's the other thing, which inflation do we use? Because if it's UBI under capitalism, its definitley just going to be pegged to the value of the dollar,not the value of goods or services.

viral spiral posted:

Oh and a negative income tax would work much better than UBI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax

Not sure. Even if UBI has it's problems making it universal means most people would want to see such a system continued. Any time you try, even with good reason to put strings on something it's quite easy for those who literally just think lfe should be some nietzchean struggle to divide those who receive said benefit from those who do not.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 07:56 on Apr 26, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

a job guarantee combo'd with a 30-hour or less workweek is the way to go, imo. if the soviets could do a 35-hour workweek in 1966 we've got no fuckin excuse

the 40 hour workweek is insane, i spend about 50% of my time on SA or twitter but i’m still the most productive person here

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BBJoey posted:

the 40 hour workweek is insane, i spend about 50% of my time on SA or twitter but i’m still the most productive person here

That should be the slogan used for abolishing it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

viral spiral posted:

the political survival of UBI relies of every voter personally getting a check from uncle sam. It doesn't matter if it's mathematically identical to a negative income tax. It doesn't matter that some people are still paying more in taxes than they're getting from UBI. They get a check from uncle sam and they say "sweet, my check from uncle sam!"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

UBI is bad for the following reasons:
  • It's yet another welfare program to band-aid capitalism. Under a capitalist system, it will be systematically attacked just like all welfare programs.
  • Under a capitalist system, UBI will be rendered moot. Monopolists and rentiers will extract all the extra income for themselves by raising prices accordingly. Price fixing as an attempt to counteract this force will ultimately fail as it always has under a capitalist system.
  • A better solution is to distribute wealth more evenly in the first place instead of redistribution.
  • Any long term solution requires eliminating capitalist hierarchies.
  • A class of people that work and a class of people that don't work creates divisiveness. Everyone should share in the burden of work necessary for society. With sufficient automation, this can still mean a significantly reduced work week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRXdUiDnIqk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

UBI is bad for the following reasons:
  • It's yet another welfare program to band-aid capitalism. Under a capitalist system, it will be systematically attacked just like all welfare programs.
  • Under a capitalist system, UBI will be rendered moot. Monopolists and rentiers will extract all the extra income for themselves by raising prices accordingly. Price fixing as an attempt to counteract this force will ultimately fail as it always has under a capitalist system.
  • A better solution is to distribute wealth more evenly in the first place instead of redistribution.
  • Any long term solution requires eliminating capitalist hierarchies.
  • A class of people that work and a class of people that don't work creates divisiveness. Everyone should share in the burden of work necessary for society. With sufficient automation, this can still mean a significantly reduced work week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRXdUiDnIqk

Wonder what it would take any of these so called "Mainstream" liberal journals or newspapers to get someone with even half the depth of Dick Wolfe as a weekly columnist?