Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I work at a Fortune 100 corp and we are actively moving away from Apple and towards Android. The planned obsolescence lifecycle with Apple is costing us millions annually in hardware and redeployment costs. The hardware in general is 3x more expensive right out of the gate. App development, maintenance, and support has become more difficult over the past 2 years because Apple keeps incrementally monkeying with the foundation of iOS. The security slamdunk is more of a freethrow now.

Android has its bugaboos too, but we've decided it's a better fit for our 3, 5, and 10 year plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
If you're looking for something to do this weekend, I highly recommend seeing The Death of Stalin if it's at a theatre near you. Much like Iannucci's earlier work it's dark and funny. The set dressing is sublime and it really does have an all star cast. They way they've handled regional accents is brilliant too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

bolind posted:

When I'm done fixing computers and explaining poo poo all day, I'm happy to come home to an Apple ecosystem that Just Works*. Yes, it's expensive and a lock in. Dontgiveafuck.

this and especially for family members who are technologically challenged

love too spend my free time computer janitoring my poo poo at home

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bajaha posted:

I'm still surprised at how much market share iOS still has. I'm not sure what draws people to them since they don't have an edge anymore with anything and the whole proprietary and locked down nature of Apple has to be tiresome by now. It even seems their losing their appeal as a pure status symbol.

On another note, the switch to USB-C is going to be painful now that USB micro is so ubiquitous. Hopefully in a few more years it'll be a non issue but for now it kinda sucks to have.

That locked-down nature tends to ensure that the thing "just works", because it's really difficult for you to do anything, even accidentally, to lunch the device. That's what consumers want, along with accessories that are compatible. Apple did well in standardizing their connections (30-pin, then Lightning) and sizes, etc. so there is lots of crap that works with the devices, and will work with your next device.
The sheer popularity of them initially also plays into that. As a tech nerd, I like my iPhone because I *don't* have to gently caress around with it. I get enough of that crap dealing with other user's issues all day. I don't want to work on my stuff. See als: the cobbler's shoes, the mechanic's car.

USB-C is awesome, except when Apple makes it literally the only connector on a supposedly "professional" laptop, requiring one to get adapters for every accessory you already own, including thumb drives.
FWIW, Apple Lightning connectors are orientation agnostic as well. I am somewhat surprised that Apple hasn't switched iPhones to the USB-C, though.

stump posted:

Because I have no interest in playing tech support with the one device I use every single day. I’ve found non-jailbroken iOS to be entirely unbreakable from the software side, but I’ve managed to gently caress up stock android os just by installing UI customisation stuff from the google play store.

Literally the only thing I want to do which my iPhone can’t is set Spotify as default instead of iTunes when it connects to Bluetooth. I can live with that.

Admittedly, I’d like a better battery but I’m not sure the equivalent android would be much better considering my battery problems seem to stem from playing music from the speaker for hours on end while working outside in freezing conditions.

bolind posted:

When I'm done fixing computers and explaining poo poo all day, I'm happy to come home to an Apple ecosystem that Just Works*. Yes, it's expensive and a lock in. Dontgiveafuck.

*) The latest iMessages has me seriously considering switching over though. I have several contacts where messages just appear slightly out of order. How hard can it be, Apple?

BigPaddy posted:

I go to work and gently caress around with computers all day. I want to go home and not have to gently caress around with phones and tablets so I just keep my old iPhone that had had a new battery put in after 2 years because it just keeps going.
That's what I'm talking about. Willing to pay a bit more (and for equivalent phones, it's not all that much more) for a phone I don't have to gently caress with.
That said, Apple does do some stuff that irritates me, like no microSD slot (my poor iPad with 16GB is stuffed full), but I'll deal with it.

Noticed the Messages things, myself. Not sure what's up there.
My daughter is still using my old 5, was using my 4S with a new battery until I upgraded a year or so ago - to a 6+. I'm not so much bleeding edge as sorta-middle edge.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

They have an ecosystem that is locked down tight and if you switch to android or whatever you lose all the purchases you made so people just keep buying them.

That, too.

Goober Peas posted:

I work at a Fortune 100 corp and we are actively moving away from Apple and towards Android. The planned obsolescence lifecycle with Apple is costing us millions annually in hardware and redeployment costs. The hardware in general is 3x more expensive right out of the gate. App development, maintenance, and support has become more difficult over the past 2 years because Apple keeps incrementally monkeying with the foundation of iOS. The security slamdunk is more of a freethrow now.

Android has its bugaboos too, but we've decided it's a better fit for our 3, 5, and 10 year plans.

That's definitely an issue with corporate use, but a very different usage case from consumers.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The question: can you fit a 55-inch TV in a sedan.

The answer: Yes, but it has to be a big sedan, and you've got to be under 71 inches tall.

I really wish the rear seat folded down on our Crown Vics. You could get massive stuff in there if they did, even with the hump for the gas tank above the axle.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

So just how long does it normally take the IRS to yank their money out of your account? I paid my taxes online via TurboTax (ACH transfer) on the 17th, they still haven't hit my account.

edit: oh goddamnit I lost my black thumbs when I changed my avatar. :cripes:

Who the gently caress are you?

quote:

Saturn when doing delivery for Amazon.

<phone stuff>

Ah.
Also, I guess "STR" is kind of a giveaway.

RIP the Pig.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

Do you have a patio or balcony?

I am literally typing this with my feet resting on a 2 tonne trolley jack because I can't be arsed to pull all the stuff out of my store cupboard to put it away.

My balcony is only suitable for midnight chats with my Montague boyfriend.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

Who the gently caress are you?

Ah.
Also, I guess "STR" is kind of a giveaway.

RIP the Pig.

The clown makes me uncomfortable, but at least I don't have to make an extra mental step when people call YuGiHo STR

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

I am literally typing this with my feet resting on a 2 tonne trolley jack because I can't be arsed to pull all the stuff out of my store cupboard to put it away.

My balcony is only suitable for midnight chats with my Montague boyfriend.

Well I'm out of ideas!

At my first apartment I had a second floor with a balcony so I bought a outside storage bin and put everything in there.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Buy a house, solve one problem and discover hundreds of new ones!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yayyyyyyyyyyy

Sign a lease and get keys on Friday. So loving happy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

The clown makes me uncomfortable, but at least I don't have to make an extra mental step when people call YuGiHo STR

Would this guy have been better? :v:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

There's a John Wayne Gacy art exhibition coming up in LA if anyone likes clowns.

Re: phones, I've been very happy with my Pixel 2. I've been on android forever but had a work iphone at my last job, and the Pixel 2 has been my favorite by far. I will give my S7 Edge credit though for surviving 10 mins in the pool in my pocket with no issues. I don't really want to test that out on my Pixel 2, but I do bring it in the shower with me and it's fine for that situation.

*edit*
How about this clown classic?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'm just bringing this up but, switching from handmedown iPhones to Android stuff about 5 years ago... what the hell are people talking about with the "omg Apple stuff just works vs Android" thing? I seriously don't get the difference in ease of usability, save that all of the iPhones got to where they worked fine and then one update would make them work like poo poo.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The question: can you fit a 55-inch TV in a sedan.

The answer: Yes, but it has to be a big sedan, and you've got to be under 71 inches tall.

i fit a NIB vizio 55" in the back seat of my Neon. Didn't have to fiddle with the front seats buts lets just say the rear door panels were not amused. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Yayyyyyyyyyyy

Sign a lease and get keys on Friday. So loving happy.

Woooo congrats dude.

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm just bringing this up but, switching from handmedown iPhones to Android stuff about 5 years ago... what the hell are people talking about with the "omg Apple stuff just works vs Android" thing? I seriously don't get the difference in ease of usability, save that all of the iPhones got to where they worked fine and then one update would make them work like poo poo.

I've had my Moto G2 for years now and haven't had any issues at all, but i don't use it for anything besides calling/texting and taking pictures, hardly any apps at all besides all the google bullshit that came with it.

My wife has the exact same phone and it has all sorts of issues but she's got tons of poo poo on it like FB and FB messenger, etc.

Coincidence? Idk, she swears it has nothing to do with it but my phone works just fine lol.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

mekilljoydammit posted:

It sure sounds like a Mac vs. PC thing that was all the rage years ago, where Macintosh just 'worked' and the PC was filled with viruses and maleware and all that. I've never heard nor seen a usability difference in people using Android or Apple. Whatever they learned on is what they like and people tend to stick with it in my experience. Besides my wife, she had an iPhone and liked it very much till I got an android and changed my ringtones for all my different contacts just by dropping MP3s on my phone holy poo poo! That was insanely difficult in comparison on the iPhone at the time. She switched.
I have no idea what people are talking about with Android having to be hosed with but I also never understood why people said the same thing about PCs vs. Macs so :shrug:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Well I'm out of ideas!

At my first apartment I had a second floor with a balcony so I bought a outside storage bin and put everything in there.
I could get an outside storage bin and leave it in the communal bike shed.
Problem is, to get one strong enough to withstand the local junkies would cost more than the value of my tools.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Buy a house, solve one problem and discover hundreds of new ones!

Not going to lie: I nearly bought a house instead of this place purely because of the large garage space.
I must admit to going green with jealousy at the ranches some of you Americans own.

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'd suggest it is because when Android first came out, a lot of the apps were a bit janky, poorly written or needed quite a bit of tech knowledge to configure.
I don't think that is true any more.

I have found that Android is very amenable to doing a wipe and restore from backup and being up an running with almost no effort.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Woooo congrats dude.

Thanks man. It's a giant loving weight off of my shoulders. It's a bit out of the way, but close to 2 really nice lakes and a massive shooting range so I think I'll be happy. Single car garage, which sucks, but it's big enough that I'll still be able to work on a car.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

STR posted:

Would this guy have been better? :v:

https://giant.gfycat.com/SlushyPlaintiveErmine.webm

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

I am somewhat surprised that Apple hasn't switched iPhones to the USB-C, though.

If they did that they wouldn't be able to license their IP rights to the lightning standard.

Which I'll maintain is also the reason they did away with the headphone jack on the most recent generation of iThings - it had nothing to do with making the device slimmer or doing away with "antiquated technology", it's all about getting licensing fees from companies that make accessories like credit card readers who now have no choice but to use Apple's proprietary connection.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Geoj posted:

If they did that they wouldn't be able to license their IP rights to the lightning standard.

Which I'll maintain is also the reason they did away with the headphone jack on the most recent generation of iThings - it had nothing to do with making the device slimmer or doing away with "antiquated technology", it's all about getting licensing fees from companies that make accessories like credit card readers who now have no choice but to use Apple's proprietary connection.

There is that dude that added a headphone jack to an iPhone just to prove it had nothing to do with the slimness. You're right, it does have everything with Apple trying to squeeze even more money out of consumers. I think more, rather than licensing fees from other companies though it was to sell their headphones. Apple bought Beats, remember.

Why Google did in on the Pixel 2 I haven't a clue though, and is why I went and bought a refurbished Pixel 1, just to have the headphone jack since I use it all the time.

Also Facebook flagged my ad for my Land Cruiser. I get the Rugger, but the Land Cruiser? It isn't even close to having anything that even sounds like a weapon :haw:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, there was this thing called the Toyota War...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geoj posted:

*squints*

are you implying credit card readers for phones would use the audio jack instead?

IDK why people complain about the single jack, new devices come with an adapter, apple gets no extra money from it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

*squints*

are you implying credit card readers for phones would use the audio jack instead?

Square does.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/square-square-credit-card-reader-a-pkg-0159-a-pkg-0159/10288438.aspx

Still works with the adapter, apparently.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
huh well i'll be damned

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BraveUlysses posted:

huh well i'll be damned

Most of them do. It's quite handy, and makes it super portable.

But Apple doesn't make it so gently caress no they're not supporting it. They do work through the adapter, but have far more problems with getting the data transmitted in my experience.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit TurboTax. Was wondering why the payment I submitted with my taxes was never taken out...

Logged into TurboTax. Return was showing as "In Progress". Despite getting all the way through, printing out the tax return, and confirming the payment to the IRS, and TurboTax showing "You're done!". Just talked to their phone support (which is borderline useless), they say TurboTax can only process payments if you e-file.

Oh yeah... the free year of Quickbooks Self Employed I was supposed to get from Uber? That's only for people who haven't used QuickBooks before. :fuckoff:

MomJeans420 posted:

I will give my S7 Edge credit though for surviving 10 mins in the pool in my pocket with no issues. I don't really want to test that out on my Pixel 2, but I do bring it in the shower with me and it's fine for that situation.

Mom's cat knocked her S6 Edge into the toilet (thankfully clean), and it was dead by the time she got it out (~10 seconds).

Now that it's dried out, I can get it to power on if plugged into a charger, but it never gets past the T-Mobile logo. And the USB port on my PC doesn't put out enough power for it to power on (much less push a fresh firmware to it). Google suggested the chip that controls charging/battery/etc is the first thing to go when they get wet, and we already tried a new battery, so... :rip: I need to throw it on Swappa and see if I can get $30 or $40 for it (someone out there probably needs a working display, right?).

I used to take my work phone in the shower all the time (Moto X 2014, supposedly splash proof), usually I'd throw it on one of the shelves in the shower and throw on Hulu or YouTube. Irony is I never watch TV except in bed or in the shower, my living room TV only gets used when I have people over.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 25, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

huh well i'll be damned

You know what will blow your bollocks off:

quote:

In the US, one thing that sets Samsung Pay apart from rivals Android Pay and Apple Pay is that it can be used much more widely – because it works with older magnetic stripe terminals, not just those that use near-field communication (NFC) to process contactless payments.

Technology called magnetic secure transmission (MST) sends a small signal from a smartphone to the card reader and this mimics the signal produced when you swipe a physical card.

They use the NFC antenna in your phone to make it look like a magnetic stripe card being swiped to standard card reader.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

I could get an outside storage bin and leave it in the communal bike shed.
Problem is, to get one strong enough to withstand the local junkies would cost more than the value of my tools.

Not going to lie: I nearly bought a house instead of this place purely because of the large garage space.
I must admit to going green with jealousy at the ranches some of you Americans own.
Come on over. We have cookies, too. Biscuits, I think you call them? :)
And big long highways, and lots of V8s.

quote:

I'd suggest it is because when Android first came out, a lot of the apps were a bit janky, poorly written or needed quite a bit of tech knowledge to configure.
I don't think that is true any more.

I have found that Android is very amenable to doing a wipe and restore from backup and being up an running with almost no effort.

IT probably isn't true any more, except for when the carriers dump their own "custom" Android build in the phone and load it up with crapware. No idea how often that still happens - never had an Android. Also, I thought that the carriers had a tendency to either never update a phone or abandon it at the earliest opportunity. Again, not sure on how commonplace that still is or was.

Geoj posted:

I do not doubt this in the least. Dang Lightning cables are 3X the cost of USB-C and micro, at least.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

I used to take my work phone in the shower all the time (Moto X 2014, supposedly splash proof), usually I'd throw it on one of the shelves in the shower and throw on Hulu or YouTube. Irony is I never watch TV except in bed or in the shower, my living room TV only gets used when I have people over.

How do you do that? I can't stand watching video on tiny little screens. I have a goddamned giant fuckoff TV. I'm gonna watch it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MY NEIGHBOR LET ME WALK HIS HUSKIES.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
You can come walk my dogs too while you're at it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey, they caught the Golden State Killer/Original Night Stalker. Crazy. It was through random DNA sampling of unrelated crimes and "tallying the database"-type stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

How do you do that? I can't stand watching video on tiny little screens. I have a goddamned giant fuckoff TV. I'm gonna watch it.

My TV is only 32", and frankly, if I'm home, I'm either reading a book or on the PC. Unless I'm in the shower or have friends over, anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 25, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I got an email from Ford today. The fucksticks are dropping my vehicle health reports (sent via my mobile phone from Sync), which is the only way those retards made it possible to see percentage of oil life remaining. They are doing this for model years all the way up through 2016 due to 'old technology'.

I need to go tell the general manager of the dealership I have bought all my cars from that this sort of stupidity (locking my oil life behind their stupid Sync reporting, and then dropping the support for it while I'm still under warranty) is seriously making me reconsider ever buying another Ford, just because a company that stupid doesn't deserve my business.

If they were simultaneously pushing out an upgrade to the car to let me see the oil life (and other vehicle health statuses) on the display in the car then I wouldn't give a poo poo, but to just drop it all on the floor and say too bad? gently caress them.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

slothrop posted:

If you're looking for something to do this weekend, I highly recommend seeing The Death of Stalin if it's at a theatre near you. Much like Iannucci's earlier work it's dark and funny. The set dressing is sublime and it really does have an all star cast. They way they've handled regional accents is brilliant too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no

I am glad to hear this, the trailer for this looks really funny.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Locator posted:

So I got an email from Ford today. The fucksticks are dropping my vehicle health reports (sent via my mobile phone from Sync), which is the only way those retards made it possible to see percentage of oil life remaining. They are doing this for model years all the way up through 2016 due to 'old technology'.

I need to go tell the general manager of the dealership I have bought all my cars from that this sort of stupidity (locking my oil life behind their stupid Sync reporting, and then dropping the support for it while I'm still under warranty) is seriously making me reconsider ever buying another Ford, just because a company that stupid doesn't deserve my business.

If they were simultaneously pushing out an upgrade to the car to let me see the oil life (and other vehicle health statuses) on the display in the car then I wouldn't give a poo poo, but to just drop it all on the floor and say too bad? gently caress them.

You can still take it to the dealer to check it. :laugh:

gently caress all the new electronic bullshit in cars, and gently caress obsoleting devices in cars 2-10 years old.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't know if anyone here remembers, but two months ago I 3D printed some shaped wedges to keep the stairwell on the side of my apartment building from banging on the wall.

I just went out today and noticed the maintenance people not only painted them (they were white and blue plastic colored), but caulked them in so they don't shuffle around. Mission accomplished.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I don't know if anyone here remembers, but two months ago I 3D printed some shaped wedges to keep the stairwell on the side of my apartment building from banging on the wall.

I just went out today and noticed the maintenance people not only painted them (they were white and blue plastic colored), but caulked them in so they don't shuffle around. Mission accomplished.

Time to get some venture capital, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I must read AI too much because I do remember that, and I just had to ask my wife what we did last Friday night.

In other news, Ford will trim it's North American car lineup to just two cars, the Mustang and a new Focus Active crossover.

• Locked thread