Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

That's the only thing I know him from. That, and quotes about bootstraps photoshopped over a sepia photo of him smirking with his arms crossed.

Am I confusing him with the guy from Dirty Jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

walrusman posted:

That's the only thing I know him from. That, and quotes about bootstraps photoshopped over a sepia photo of him smirking with his arms crossed.

Am I confusing him with the guy from Dirty Jobs?

Mike Rowe? I think so

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rogan is the long-time colour commentator for UFC pay per views. His schtick now is that he's really into conspiracy theories and individualist stuff, which sets him up as kind of an alt-right "figure," but to his credit he gets lots of people on his podcast who disagree with his bad opinions, and actually seems to make an honest effort to engage the ideas and improve in his dopey, stoned, jock-like way instead of shouting them down for the duration.

E.g. he got in poo poo from twitter for saying a bunch of transphobic stuff, and then he had a trans man come on his show and explain trans issues to him for three hours, and he actually in the time since then has made a visible effort to be less lovely about that. Now he still says transphobic poo poo, but less often, and when he catches himself he apologizes for it and admits that he's being lovely and explains why it was lovely.

(at least, when I last listened to his show, which was a really long time ago now that I think about it).

Financially he's doing pretty well, but in terms of "doing ok" it's pretty much "he could be doing a lot worse and I'll give him one bonus point for seeming to put in the effort to be less lovely when he gets called out on it." One funny event in this whole drama was his short-lived SciFi series, Joe Rogan Questions Anything, in which he went out to investigate bigfoot and chemtrails and morgellons and stuff. You can actually see the moments when he's standing out in the woods with the people who promote these theories and he's realizing "oh my god the theories I've been believing are entirely based on the testimony of idiots."

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I kind of like Joe Rogan for the exact reason above: if you watch a bunch of his recent stuff, you can actually see him learning to think a bit more critically, and he generally shuts up when someone who knows more than him is telling him stuff he doesn’t know.
He’s never been funny on stage though.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I mean yea, he's still Joe Rogan, dude was always insane. Joe Rogan has always loved three things. Fighting, doing drugs, and asking if we REALLY know the moon landing happened. He hasn't so much aged badly as found a large platform to age normally on.

That and giving a platform to alt right internet personalities. Stefan Molyneaux, Peterson, Milo, Sargon, etc.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Torquemada posted:

he generally shuts up when someone who knows more than him is telling him stuff he doesn’t know.

Wow, that is a change. I remember him on Penn Jillette's podcast discussing the moon landings with Phil Plait, and every time Plait explained why one of Rogan's conspiracy theories was wrong, Rogan would just go "well... nuh-UH" and move on to the next one.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I think there’s specifically one where someone explains the moon landings to him, and by the end he stops thinking they’re faked.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Bill Cosby's been found guilty on three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Torquemada posted:

I think there’s specifically one where someone explains the moon landings to him, and by the end he stops thinking they’re faked.

That’s what actually got me to stop thinking Joe’s an rear end in a top hat, and realize dude just genuinely doesn’t know. And is even willing to learn! Rare af.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

quote:

Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin R. Steele asked that Mr. Cosby’s $1 million bail be revoked, suggesting he had been convicted of a serious crime, owned a plane and could flee, prompting an angry outburst from Mr. Cosby, who shouted, “He doesn’t have a plane, you rear end in a top hat.”

So much for the quiet old man act.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ariong posted:

So much for the quiet old man act.

And not using the swear words.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bill Cosby is apparently a Phoenix Wright villain?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something something, the rap music gave him the brain damage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something something, the rap music gave him the brain damage.

He pulled his pants up too far, gave himself an atomic wedgie and never recovered.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

And not using the swear words.

He broke this rule for one of his more famous bits, and the word he used there was the same one he apparently cussed out the prosecutor with.

Maybe he only knows that one swear word?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
In retrospect Bill Cosby has been pretty vile with his embrace of being "one of the good ones" since at least the 90's. Before the 90's, it's a mystery since I barely remember the Cosby Show as is.

On a side note, I did always find it odd that in all of his TV shows, they bared his name, but he never actually played someone named "Cosby"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

On a side note, I did always find it odd that in all of his TV shows, they bared his name, but he never actually played someone named "Cosby"

Same with Bob Newhart. I guess they just banked on their names as famous comics being more important.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Iron Crowned posted:

In retrospect Bill Cosby has been pretty vile with his embrace of being "one of the good ones" since at least the 90's. Before the 90's, it's a mystery since I barely remember the Cosby Show as is.

Oh, that was always the case with him, all the way back to I Spy. And it was always a facade. When Melvin Van Peebles was trying to make what's thought of as the first Blaxploitation film, "Sweet Sweetback's Badassss Song", he got half his funding by going through Cosby who was a personal friend, because all the uptight honkey hollywood types trusted him as one of the good ones.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Same with Bob Newhart. I guess they just banked on their names as famous comics being more important.

The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Mary Tyler Mooore Show did that too. Maybe back then they wanted to keep the characters more separate from the actual people? TV was still kinda new. I know they had Mary Tyler Moore not be a divorcee in part because they were afraid they'd think she was the same character from The Dick Van Dyke show and that she'd divorced Rob Petrie. So maybe audiences weren't dumb, but the producers certainly thought they were.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Araenna posted:

The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Mary Tyler Mooore Show did that too. Maybe back then they wanted to keep the characters more separate from the actual people? TV was still kinda new. I know they had Mary Tyler Moore not be a divorcee in part because they were afraid they'd think she was the same character from The Dick Van Dyke show and that she'd divorced Rob Petrie. So maybe audiences weren't dumb, but the producers certainly thought they were.

This goes even further back; the original 'Rat pack' was self-advancing group that got many gigs simply because they were on the "Rat pack". Of course Sinatra and Dean Martin had several side gigs and they were otherwise talented.

...And I still have to stress the fact that the original "Police Squad" TV-series got poo poo canned for being too intellectually demanding according to the TV producers.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Bunni-kat posted:

That’s what actually got me to stop thinking Joe’s an rear end in a top hat, and realize dude just genuinely doesn’t know. And is even willing to learn! Rare af.

I never really knew much about Joe Rogan, like I knew who he was but I never heard him talk or knew anything about his opinions or anything, until one of my friends suggested I listen to his podcast. I really enjoy listening to it because he doesn't seem to be so much interested in getting people to agree with what he thinks as he is in trying to figure out why people think the way they do. It comes across a lot less "let's argue our ideas against each other" and more "here's what I think, let me know why you think I'm wrong" and it's a really refreshing dynamic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Araenna posted:

The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Mary Tyler Mooore Show did that too.

Also The Michael J Fox Show in 2013.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Drew Carey Show (although his name was Drew in the show)...Dana Carvey Show...Ben Stiller Show...and of course that CMT mainstay Reba.

It would appear to be a common theme if you're banking on a known star to carry a new show or if you just have no other idea what to call it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember enjoying the Drew Carey Show if only for more of the Whose Line guys.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
And yet Reba McIntire can only play characters named Reba.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

dovetaile posted:

And yet Reba McIntire can only play characters named Reba.

Ahem.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Okay with one exception (although we don't know if they renamed it to Colonel (Reba) Sanders).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ummmmmm, this was colonel Sanders playing Reba, pleaer pay attention.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Or Tony Danza only being able to play a guy named Tony.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

dovetaile posted:

Okay with one exception (although we don't know if they renamed it to Colonel (Reba) Sanders).

Pfft. You fools.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

No Andy Griffith Show?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

winterwerefox posted:

No Andy Griffith Show?

No, Andy Griffith Show!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

If anybody wanted to air any of Cosby's show now, they should be able to put 'Eminence Front' in lieu of the original theme as a warning. Also, does anybody really play Cosby reruns anymore? The whole show went over nearly thirty years ago, it's hard to tell since I'm not even sure if reruns are a thing again now.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

If anybody wanted to air any of Cosby's show now, they should be able to put 'Eminence Front' in lieu of the original theme as a warning. Also, does anybody really play Cosby reruns anymore? The whole show went over nearly thirty years ago, it's hard to tell since I'm not even sure if reruns are a thing again now.

There's a channel that plays like 6 hours of cosby in the middle of the day on xfinity.

Not anymore though, looks like.

https://pagesix.com/2018/04/26/cosby-show-reruns-getting-pulled-from-air-in-wake-of-guilty-verdict/

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

No Andy Griffith Show?

Which was a spinoff of The Danny Thomas Show. Which was renamed from Make Room For Daddy (and better known as that now).

If being Andy Taylor wasn't enough, there was another Andy Griffith Show, conveniently named The New Andy Griffith Show. This time he was Andy Sawyer. And because Griffith's previous attempt at a show, Headmaster, failed, Andy Sawyer was virtually identical to Andy Taylor. To the point a handful of old characters from Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry RFD appeared, making for an odd universe where Goober knew Andy Taylor and Andy Sawyer, but the Andys weren't the same person. RFD was still airing at the time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Mayberry extended universe. What a world.

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015
I’m watching Bar Rescue and Jon Taffer consults a comedian to help some bar... turns out that comedian consultant is Owen Benjamin lmao this hasn’t aged well after his racist tirades

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Leavemywife posted:

Pfft. You fools.

You see little sister don't miss when she aims her gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

gaydad posted:

I’m watching Bar Rescue and Jon Taffer consults a comedian to help some bar... turns out that comedian consultant is Owen Benjamin lmao this hasn’t aged well after his racist tirades

The dude's from Fulton, New York, basically racism central