Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
is that a loving commodore vic 20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

is that a loving commodore vic 20

The mini C64 they released a few weeks back, edit: I do have a fully working VIC 20 but no software for it so it’s just a display piece for now.

also the housings on those speakers are made of concrete and are extremely heavy. The story is that back in the 80s, my dad had a friend who was into all kinds of audiophile woo and built those round concrete housings himself. He was apparently going to go into business manufacturing and selling them but it kind of fell through and he gave the prototypes to my dad, who used them until the surrounds disintegrated.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 19, 2018

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I won't lie, I wanna hear those speakers. I guess they use coaxial drivers?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Yeah, coaxial drivers. The crossovers are supposedly adjustable, but they're hidden in the housing behind the driver and are a complete pain in the rear end to get to.

They do sound pretty good, but now that I'm living in an apartment I can't turn them up quite as loud as I'd like.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Not audiophile but Bose have released a set of speakers that you sit on your shoulders... they look as dumb as that sentence sounds.

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/produc...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Not audiophile but Bose have released a set of speakers that you sit on your shoulders... they look as dumb as that sentence sounds.

Can't wait until people on the bus are blasting these

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always love when manufacturers have ratings stars of their own products. 4.6 *? That's me convinced!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I always love when manufacturers have ratings stars of their own products. 4.6 *? That's me convinced!

That is the average based on reviews submitted to the site.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Of course, but if 50 of us gave it 1* reviews I wonder if they would stay up. I know Apple are pretty good about not removing bad reviews (mainly on replacement power supplies) but I don’t trust Bose would do the same thing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

All the inconvenience of headphones with none of the benefits of speakers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3sFJw7TTqk

LG did something similar. I could see something like this for working around the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyG_CffXkqc

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 20, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

All the scenarios I can think of for that thing would be better served with headphones, a UE Boom 2 or something, my Amazon Echos, or any number of other products.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Been there, done that.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Been there, done that.

yea, tyll also talks about it in his review here, apparently walked away really liking it though highly skeptical at first

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bose-soundwear-companion-speaker

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Here's probably the complete opposite of everything in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkyGDqU7xA

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

shortspecialbus posted:

All the scenarios I can think of for that thing would be better served with headphones, a UE Boom 2 or something, my Amazon Echos, or any number of other products.

Yeah except the part where it's physically around you, in stereo, while changing positions.

A speaker like an Echo or Boom is going to be effectively mono, and headphones mean you're isolated from your surroundings. Additionally some people experience discomfort wearing headphones for an extended period of time.

It's a limited use case but that doesn't mean it's an edge case either. Doing chores and casual gaming in a semi personal environment are where something like this would shine. If you're a parent, you can't crank up your stereo while the baby is sleeping; something like this would allow you to you can hear if it wakes up, too; or to hear if your Amazon package is at the door.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Been there, done that.

Bone Fone sounds like a sex toy rather than a speaker.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah except the part where it's physically around you, in stereo, while changing positions.

A speaker like an Echo or Boom is going to be effectively mono, and headphones mean you're isolated from your surroundings. Additionally some people experience discomfort wearing headphones for an extended period of time.

It's a limited use case but that doesn't mean it's an edge case either. Doing chores and casual gaming in a semi personal environment are where something like this would shine. If you're a parent, you can't crank up your stereo while the baby is sleeping; something like this would allow you to you can hear if it wakes up, too; or to hear if your Amazon package is at the door.

Fair enough. I still think it (and all its predecessors) are goofy but I definitely have some goofy products to fulfill a specific need that I have.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a feel good story from AVS. This guy with a pretty decent system [Sierra towers, separate pre/pro] wasn't happy with it and was posting stuff like this

quote:

've never liked the idea of adjusting tone or frequency controls to modify the signal. Instead, I believed that good equipment, speaker placement and room adjustments are the audiophile way to achieve accurate sound.
but then, after buying a pretty insane [but affordable] EQ:

quote:

I received the EQ today and have spent a little bit of time dialing it in. All I can say is WOW! Just a very slight decrease in a few of the upper midrange frequencies make all the difference in the world! Just enough to take the edge off. Also, my worries about adding noise or distortion were unfounded. I’m so glad I made this purchase!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

I have a feel good story from AVS. This guy with a pretty decent system [Sierra towers, separate pre/pro] wasn't happy with it and was posting stuff like this

but then, after buying a pretty insane [but affordable] EQ:

I mean yeah... Room EQ and the like are things for a reason. However you could still spend almost 20 grand on a meridian unit that achieves basically the same thing.
In a studio environment I believe all EQ should be done in the mix, not in the monitor. But that's a no-brainer because you're trying to get the recording right. Also, generally you should have a really good room to begin with.

That EQ is nice as gently caress tho and a steal at Sweetwater right now for under $200. I'm seriously considering one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you have a modern denon or marantz with audessey they have an eq app on the apple and android app store.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 26, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

If you have a modern denon or marantz with audes
sey they have an eq app on the apple and android app store.

yep. sony, audeze, sennheiser, etc. are all offering eq'ing options now. almost all anc headphones are heavily dependent on dsp's too.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 7, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Bone Fone sounds like a sex toy rather than a speaker.
"built to take it"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish onkyo would switch out their eq system to something good like Audessey. The one they use at the moment just sucks, it’s a shame.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What was the name of the little FPGA box that could be used for room correction? People were talking a lot about it a couple of years ago.

I mean i guess I could buy that EQ too, but...parametric EQs :barf:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

What was the name of the little FPGA box that could be used for room correction? People were talking a lot about it a couple of years ago.

I mean i guess I could buy that EQ too, but...parametric EQs :barf:

The minidsp? Still a good product if you're willing to do the REW janitoring yourself. They sell a Dirac box for $400 now too.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Went to check out the Naim Statement today. Got a presentation by a couple of guys from Naim, and about an hour and a half of music.

All they played was audiophile jazz and lounge singer music! The only song that was interesting to me was White Wedding by Billy Idol. I would have liked to have heard Money for Nothing and Another Brick in the Wall and other songs I've heard a million times before so that I could actually hear differences in songs I know.

The Naim guys said a lady bought 24 of the power amplifiers for her husband, which was used for among other things a bi-amped 7.1 home cinema setup.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Those Focals have 91.5 dB listed sensitivity, I can see why you'd pick a 200 grand 740 watt dual monoblock setup to drive them. Because it looks cool

evobatman posted:

All they played was audiophile jazz and lounge singer music!
That's pretty much all that people who buy super high end amps listen to.

quote:

The Naim guys said a lady bought 24 of the power amplifiers for her husband, which was used for among other things a bi-amped 7.1 home cinema setup.
Really rich people are a trip.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

evobatman posted:

Went to check out the Naim Statement today. Got a presentation by a couple of guys from Naim, and about an hour and a half of music.

All they played was audiophile jazz and lounge singer music! The only song that was interesting to me was White Wedding by Billy Idol. I would have liked to have heard Money for Nothing and Another Brick in the Wall and other songs I've heard a million times before so that I could actually hear differences in songs I know.

Cables on the floor, literal garbage

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Cables on the floor, literal garbage

No, it's Naim

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

evobatman posted:

24 amps is definitely ridiculous audiophile poo poo.
I do love those Focal's though. Definitely on my buy list if I win the lotto or something.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It was endgame stereo equipment, but I can still draw a straight line labelled "more of the same" from my $200 preowned Yamaha/Tannoy home setup through $20,000 and $50,000 systems I've tried to the Naim/Focal setup.

The only thing I have heard that is truly a different experience were Beolab 90 speakers. They use microphone arrays to listen to themselves in the room and adjust the sound accordingly. They made it sound like the walls in the room disappeared and I was wearing infinitely large headphones. That's the kind of effect I expect from an $80,000 system.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The best system I've ever heard was around $175k and it was amazing but it was also in a fully treated room and most of the price was power conditioners, outboard phono stages, etc. The amps and speakers were probably around 50 total, 35 for the speakers and probably 15 for the amps.

If I went full idiot and won the lottery I'd probably still cap out around $20k for a music system.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 26, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

qirex posted:

The best system I've ever heard was around $175k and it was amazing but it was also in a fully treated room and most of the price was power conditioners, outboard phono stages, etc. The amps and speakers were probably around 50 total, 35 for the speakers and probably 15 for the amps.

If I went full idiot and won the pottery I'd probably still cap out around $20k for a music system.

I bet what made the most difference was the cheap foam on the walls.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

I bet what made the most difference was the cheap foam on the walls.

room treatments make all the difference, and they're amazingly cheap.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Room treatments and having to deal with them are what make speakers so loving impractical.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/REALpunknews/status/990651936008495104

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I don't think I'm able to tell between stealth clickbait and real news anymore

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM