Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aww, on the prison mission I had to pick between 3 salvage for a Jaeger or a Trebuchet. Went with the Jaeger, and got dealt TWO of the Treb parts in the random deal. So close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

An armless Panther just managed to kick the head off my main character's vindicator. If I was a lower elevation I could see it but I wasn't so now I'm :mad:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So the only long-range mechs in the campaign are LRM boats? No ER PPC's or Gauss rifles?

I can never keep track of what stuff is "clan" and what stuff isn't. This game definitionally doesn't include clan stuff right because it's 3025 ruleset?

Correct.

well there are Gauss rifles available through the story as super limited Lostech but when you lose them they go away forever

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

So the only long-range mechs in the campaign are LRM boats? No ER PPC's or Gauss rifles?

I can never keep track of what stuff is "clan" and what stuff isn't. This game definitionally doesn't include clan stuff right because it's 3025 ruleset?

Gauss isn't Clan so much as nobody was still making it in the Inner Sphere until they found the Helm memory core in 3028 (which technically is when the game is taking place? Or is it 3 years later from 3022?). Clan versions were still better though.

Similarly pulse lasers/ER laser are in the same boat; IS had them in between Helm and the Clan Invasion but the Clan versions are generally better.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Aside from the spoiler, yes, LRM boats are your very long range support mechs. Other than that, you have PPCs and AC2s filling out the long range role.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

An armless Panther just managed to kick the head off my main character's vindicator. If I was a lower elevation I could see it but I wasn't so now I'm :mad:

The melee attacks don't actually distinguish between punches and kicks on the mechanical side of things, all of them have a chance to hit the upper half.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Does anyone know the maximum number of +s a piece of equipment can have?

I have seen a +++, but I don't know

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'm so loving sick of doing "Take the Bait" missions and coming up against a lovely Demolisher or Shrek instead of a 'mech.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

UberJew posted:

My MC is brawler-spec but that's probably not ideal because it involves getting wounded a lot :v:

Wouldn't the MC be the best choice to put in a mech that's going to get them beat to poo poo? Instead of losing a mechwarrior permanently, you'll just take a long vacation in the medbay. Then it's back to your old tricks, until you got shot in the face again.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What the heck is Called Shot Mastery and do I need it in my life

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

raverrn posted:

I'm so loving sick of doing "Take the Bait" missions and coming up against a lovely Demolisher or Shrek instead of a 'mech.

My very first one of these when I was still in the Leopard and only had light + medium mechs was a loving King Crab of all things.

Every single one since has been a Demolisher. This game sometimes. :psyduck:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Early trip report: Despite some initial instability, the game seems to be working for me except for an annoying graphics bug on Arctic maps that makes them risky for me to play (as there's no way to continue playing when it happens). I'm getting lots of fun combat stories and seeing some real tactical depth here.

I do wonder about a few of the decisions: Was autosaving during a mission causing trouble? Because I replayed that Arctic mission that was glitching out on me six times before I got through without the bug, and expected an autosave mid-mission after the first crash. Why default the graphics options to "High" even on a minimum spec computer? My early game stability issues went away after whitelisting in my AV (post-SSD my Steam folder was no longer whitelisted because I'd changed drive letters for it) and after dialing options down to "Medium."

Early game has some really interesting dynamics. Running hotter mechs can work if you up-armor them and fire while closing, because at a certain point, you get into a punching situation and that's the perfect time to be at your overheat point. One or two longer-range mechs can stay back out of the scrum. Salvaging is significant enough to push you toward a mix of missiles and ballistics and punching.

I've just gotten my first Heavy, so I'm guessing I'm not quite at the mid-game yet, but once enemy reinforcements become a possibility the focus on missiles and ballistics gets complicated by the real possibility that you start running out of ammo, and suddenly you need to adjust your tactics.

I am also enjoying the opportunity to theorycraft certain mech builds: for example, that first Heavy (a Jagermech) and my gunner pilot inspired me to try building it with two AC/10s aiming for using Precision Shot to double-tap damaged mechs (usually by taking out a torso and inflicting knockdown for two pilot hits). It worked beautifully in the first test, taking out an Enforcer, but it proved too difficult to stay back out of range of enemy mechs and so I had to go back to the drawing board for a lighter-armed version with more armor.

Edit: Piloting 8 + Firestarter = reserve, jump in, +60-80 heat to your target mech, run away. I don't think it'll be leaving my lineup unless I get four King Crabs.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 26, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Party Plane Jones posted:

Gauss isn't Clan so much as nobody was still making it in the Inner Sphere until they found the Helm memory core in 3028 (which technically is when the game is taking place? Or is it 3 years later from 3022?). Clan versions were still better though.

Similarly pulse lasers/ER laser are in the same boat; IS had them in between Helm and the Clan Invasion but the Clan versions are generally better.

Ok, what I'm hearing is "helm memory core DLC" and "clan mechs sequel," then ?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

How difficult are the story missions up until you get the Argo? I did the one where you get it from the moon, but I'm wondering if I should fart around doing more contracts before pulling the trigger on this next mission, or just try and rush straight to getting the Argo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You should be fine to rush the Argo and you can start investing time and C-Bills into upgrading it so that you don't spend like a week replacing a single gun in a Spider or something.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Does anyone know the maximum number of +s a piece of equipment can have?

+++ is the maximum. Also the bonuses aren't randomized, there's a small set of variations you can get and there's only ever one +++ variation. Also, not all weapons have a +++, some of them max out at ++ variations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ok, what I'm hearing is "helm memory core DLC" and "clan mechs sequel," then ?

Yes. There's a lot of room for DLC and sequels.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Eraflure posted:

Spoiler regarding one of the main mission's rewards:

Can you replace the Highlander's gauss rifle if it gets destroyed? I don't want to sit on it by fear of losing the only one I can get.

I honestly don't know, but: definitely don't keep the Highlander tucked away! It's an absolute beast of a mech and has effortlessly carried every mission I've had since getting it.

Eej posted:

What the heck is Called Shot Mastery and do I need it in my life

It's '18% chance to hit the head instead of 2%'. So yes, it's pretty good.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Without really even intentionally doing it I've been approaching the mechbay in the mindset of 'Well poo poo, that's broken. What can we shove into its place.'

Really helps give the feel of a Late Succession Wars campaign in which your non-stock mechs are mostly sub-optimal because of what you have lying around at the time.

Edit:
Current mech lineup:

Blackjack: AC/2 in the left arm replaced with a large laser. Small lasers in each side torso
Vindicator: PPC and LRM-10.
Shadowhawk: 2x LRM/10 in the RT. LRM/5 in the head (I tended to take LRM-10s as salvage when there were no better options)
Centurion: AC/5 with underslung small laser, 2x med lasers CT, 2x SRM-4 and a SRM-6 in the LT
Kintaro: Stock
Panther: PPC replaced with a large and two medium lasers

I also still have both Glitch and Dekker, though Dekker's been wounded more often than not. #ScoutLyfe.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 26, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Eraflure posted:

Spoiler regarding one of the main mission's rewards:

Can you replace the Highlander's gauss rifle if it gets destroyed? I don't want to sit on it by fear of losing the only one I can get.

If you don't use it, you might as well not have it at all.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

PST posted:

Got a Quickdraw as my first Heavy (Not the one from the Argo as Glitch blew its torso off by shooting it through the legs when it was downed. At this point I have 1-2 pieces of 5 different heavies). Trying to work out a good build for it, fluctuating between 3 large lasers as a sniping platform, or SRMs and 4MLs to brawl with along with max armour.
What I settled for with mine was a Large Laser in RA (had a +5 damage variant lying around), 2 Medium Lasers in RT, one Medium Laser in LA, two SRM4 - one in CT, one in LT - with a ton of ammo to share, seven extra heat sinks, and something like a ton of extra armor. Had it only for a few missions but thus far it worked pretty well.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Control Volume posted:

If you don't use it, you might as well not have it at all.

Yeah but I can still brag about it if I keep it in the haul.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

it’s a pretty unanimous consensus that the game has a lot of slowness/pauses/deadtime related to taking actions completely independent of being “slow paced and tactical” so i don’t know why people are getting so bent out of shape over that guy pointing it out

I think it's more that RPS went out of their way to poo poo on that particular portion of the game and didn't nearly get into some of the good parts of the game like they do with some of their other reviews. It really comes across as a bunch of crying because he got bent over when he made a bad tactical decision in his game. I really enjoy reading RPS for the most part but this was probably one of their worst reviews in recent times.

Personally I'm not finding the deadtime any better or worse than other TBS games I've played.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Say, I remember that in the beta people managed to mod autocannons to fire different numbers of shots per attack. I've tried the same thing, found the .json files for the autocannons, and adjusted the "ProjectilesPerShot" attribute, but that only seems to do part of the job. It adjusts the sound appropriately, but visually only a single shell flies out. Is there another file that needs to be modified or did release break that particular bit of modding?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The amount of deadspace also seems to drastically change depending on hardware. Unless people are either over exaggerating or I just don't notice them as much as I could be.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Back Hack posted:

I kinda hoping MGs get a slight buff in the future, I know they suppose be crit seakers but they don’t seem to be any better at it than any other weapon. What I would love for them to get is some stability damage considering you have to haul ammo around to use them, and it would give them a better gimmick compared to the other support weapons.

You strip armour FIRST and then MGs will complete shred all the internals.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Zore posted:

If you kill the pilot you can get 3 salvage parts for a mech. Any given Mech except a Locust is going to sell for more than you give up in payment.

Also some contracts are weighted to give more salvage or money.

Yeah, it just seems like a big risk to take less money for may be getting a mech. Although now that I have a few mil in the bank, it makes more sense to take this gamble.

BTW, does anyone have a rule of thumb for when one should give up rewards for faction rep?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Stanley Pain posted:

I think it's more that RPS went out of their way to poo poo on that particular portion of the game and didn't nearly get into some of the good parts of the game like they do with some of their other reviews. It really comes across as a bunch of crying because he got bent over when he made a bad tactical decision in his game. I really enjoy reading RPS for the most part but this was probably one of their worst reviews in recent times.

Personally I'm not finding the deadtime any better or worse than other TBS games I've played.

He didn't, it doesn't, and being hung up on that side note is not a good look.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone mentioned the Grasshopper earlier as a good choice for melee attacks. What are some other good punchbots?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

He didn't, it doesn't, and being hung up on that side note is not a good look.

The dude said he usually likes reading RPS. It's not like he's some Battletech fanboy who never reads RPS and is defending its honor.

He's allowed to have whatever opinion of the review that he wants. "Getting hung up on that side note is not a good look." Who the gently caress are you? We're talking about game reviews here, not impeaching Nixon.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

rt4 posted:

Someone mentioned the Grasshopper earlier as a good choice for melee attacks. What are some other good punchbots?

I like my Dragon, and until you hit heavies, the Shadowhawk is the right combo of speedy and beefy to tide you over.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

pokie posted:

Yeah, it just seems like a big risk to take less money for may be getting a mech. Although now that I have a few mil in the bank, it makes more sense to take this gamble.

BTW, does anyone have a rule of thumb for when one should give up rewards for faction rep?

I mean if I bargain for 3+ pieces I’m probably getting a mech, unless the mission is loaded with locusts or something. Bad luck will happen (rip K2 I was chain kicking). But even then I got another cent.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

rt4 posted:

Looks like a Banshee might be the next step up in weight from the Grasshoper.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Has anyone tried just ignoring the story and just open worlding it? It looks like it should be totally possible since apparently priority missions don't expire. As far as I can tell the only downside would be certain portions of the map not unlocked yet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

John Charity Spring posted:

It's '18% chance to hit the head instead of 2%'. So yes, it's pretty good.

Oh dang, what the heck. That's perfect for a PPC Sniper but if you're going like 9 deep into Tactics you might as well LRM boat.

Hard choices.

Eej fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 26, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
RPS and the general artistic drift of the online games journalism industry has been a push towards games as experiential spaces where you can do interesting and neat artistic things with them, which is why procedural narrative games like FLT and ITB interest them so much. They also enjoy that those mechanics are clear and bright and don't require a lot of fiddling to get to a basic level with. The obfuscation of random chance and the fairly high tactical demands of battletech don't square with that. Cool Ghosts is another example of a game reviewer who reviews games from this kind of experiential-psychological-aesthetic way. A game like Battletech, with well-considered interlocking mechanisms that generate not so much a story so much as a series of high-tensity mechanical decisions, and with little emphasis on UX, wouldn't do well with this crowd.

Look at the way some of the press reviews Passpartout for what it said about being a painter, even though most of this experience was about things people brought to the table. It's interesting from an aesthetic perspective even if its mechanics are almost non-extant.

edit: I don't even think that htis perspective is bad necessarily. It's kind of cool that games criticism is undergoing a Sontag-esque "we need an aesthetics of art rather than criticism" moment right now, but all lenses have blind spots and clunky games like battletech tend not to square with an experiential lens.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 26, 2018

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Someone appears to have found a way to skip the tutorial (direct copy-paste from Reddit *shudder*) :

Reddit posted:

Having done the tutorial a few times now, I find myself not wanting to do it again. So after digging around in the files I found a folder named "milestones" (\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\milestones) that contains scripts for activating and organizing the story stuff.

Ok, so the part you're probably here for:

(Sidenote: any text editor will work fine, but I recommend Notepad++ since it's free, useful, and awesome)

Open the "milestone_003_title_coronation_palace.json" file and look for the section titled "Results" In that section you'll find "value" : 100, and change it to "value" : 105 (Don't lose your commas!)

Doing this makes it so that it'll play the first cinematic after character creation, then skip to "8 hours later" aboard the Leopard. (Skipping the tutorial missions 1 & 2)

Image, for those who need it.

If you want to skip the Majesty Metals mission as well, you also need to open up the "milestone_106_title_threeYearsLater.json" file, and go to the same section. But for this one, you change the "value" : 110, to "value" : 111.

If you try to skip directly to milestone 111, it'll break the game, since you acquire the Leopard at milestone 105.

I gave it a quick test, and didn't encounter any errors, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Edit: u/HatMadderer helpfully pointed out that you can skip directly to 114 (instead of 105, then 111), since the script for 114 also sets the variables to acquire the Leopard (With dev comments about it being for debug puropses) A quick test shows that it should work as well as the above method, albeit with less modifications.

Does anyone know how to change the values of the "poorly maintained" attribute? Can't seem to find that one anywhere...

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Jenners are named after Bruce Jenner because they run fast, aren't they

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Met a trebuchet, an orion, a thunderbolt, a manticore tank and an SRM carrier with my blackjack, vindicator, centurion and badhawk.

Every pilot injured, the blackjack got legged and arm'd and about the only thing working on the vindicator was the PPC.

Two skulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Eej posted:

Oh dang, what the heck. That's perfect for a PPC Sniper but if you're going like 10 deep into Tactics you might as well LRM boat.

Hard choices.

Going max tactics means your PPCs and LRMs have lower minimum range, which makes for hilarious responses to light flankers sometime. Plus combining PPCs and LRMs isn't that bad of a combo, just make sure the guy has both gunnery abilities so you can toss LRMs at dudes to strip defenses while PPCing targets that are low defense,