Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

BraveUlysses posted:

i cant imagine any GTI without the limited slip would be worth owning

Mine is pretty great :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Christobevii3 posted:

I would bypass that and mount an oil only cooler. Just that should help a bit. Also those liked to crack on various vehicles for milk shake surprise.

He's in Michigan. You need an oil warmer, too. Track only car, eh whatever but not for a DD that's driven year round.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
They make thermostat sandwich plates for this so you don't run too cold of an oil temp.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Anyone got an eye on the Hyundai i30N (I’m assuming you folks in the US are getting it)?

My FiST frustrates me with the variability of its shifting feel and I guess that’s just something which really needs to be spot on for me to enjoy a car. The i30N has just been released here and I’m really questioning whether I want to go through with modding the FiST, or whether it would be better to ditch it and buy something built to a bit of a higher price point. Reviews on the i30N so far seem excellent, and it seems as though it may have dethroned the Golf GTI as king of the hot hatches in that class. While the small size of the FiST hasn’t been an issue thus far, something like the i30 would be a little larger and more practical whenever I do need to carry passengers or whatever.

I also wonder if I shouldn’t just grab a used M135i, but the one big thing which keeps coming to mind is that the FiST is an absolute blast in the twisties and anything else I get will be larger and heavier, and probably won’t handle as well as a result. EDIT: then again, the i30N at least has an LSD and multi-link rear suspension, so the question is whether the handling benefits from those additions outweigh (heh) the extra 340-odd kg. I’m yet to compare track and wheelbase differences.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 21, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The closest thing the US has to that is the Elantra GT. We aren't getting the i30N for a while if ever; the Veloster N is the first N that Hyundai is bringing to the US.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Get a single mass flywheel and aluminum shift bushings. That will help a lot. The Hyundai fwd transmission is a strong point.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Goodbye RS and ST hatchbacks I'm not entirely surprised, but still sad news.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
requiescat in pace Fun Ford except for the 'stang I guess

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ManiacMatt posted:

Goodbye RS and ST hatchbacks I'm not entirely surprised, but still sad news.

Sadly I've been expecting this since Ford's new ceo took over. Dude hates anything that isn't an F-series or suv/cuv.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, guess my next car won't be a Ford then.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
I guess I won't ever replace my FiST with another Ford. :(

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Wow, the lovely taste of your compatriots is really starting to gently caress you guys over, huh?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Wow, the lovely taste of your compatriots is really starting to gently caress you guys over, huh?

Oh don't worry, it will "correct" itself soon enough :getin:

It absolutely won't come to bite Ford back in the rear end no sir that's never happened twice before at least.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Guess we'll all be in used macans by the time Ford gets its head out of its rear end.

Dammit

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
This makes my FiST a collectors item, is that correct?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PaintVagrant posted:

This makes my FiST a collectors item, is that correct?

Suppose it kinda makes the FiST, FoST and RS future classics right away. A tiny blip where Ford was cool and catered to enthusiasts, before bean-countering away like every other post-enthusiast era. Depending on how long Ford stays boring this is absolutely what will happen.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
God drat it ford.

Also, Fiat Abarth 500's and Fiesta ST's apparently flip at autocross with RE71's.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I doubt the FiST or FoST will ever really be worth anything. The FoST is too common and the FiST is basically a parts bin car (an awesome one). The RS though, that thing will probably gain value one day.

Speaking of my FiST, I am installing Koni yellow adjustables, Swift spec-R springs and camber bolts tonight/tomorrow. Pretty excited about it...I set the fronts to a full turn from full soft, and the rears a full turn from full stiff for now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PaintVagrant posted:

I doubt the FiST or FoST will ever really be worth anything. The FoST is too common and the FiST is basically a parts bin car (an awesome one). The RS though, that thing will probably gain value one day.

Speaking of my FiST, I am installing Koni yellow adjustables, Swift spec-R springs and camber bolts tonight/tomorrow. Pretty excited about it...I set the fronts to a full turn from full soft, and the rears a full turn from full stiff for now.

You say that but that's exactly what makes 'new' classics. A car that everyone assumes is cheap and poo poo and then suddenly there isn't any left, and the ones that are left and in good shape start to command nice prices.

This is all way off into the future anyway but it is fun to speculate.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah low mileage civic si going for mid $20k's recently. I guess if you didn't mod or drive them?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not going to mod my RS so I can sacrifice fun now but make bank later. :smug: :smith:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
240z only took 45 years...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Christobevii3 posted:

Also, Fiat Abarth 500's and Fiesta ST's apparently flip at autocross with RE71's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju37Kt94dkE

The FiST is right at the border of what's allowed under SCCA's rollover rules. Non-ST cars are not legal for SCCA competition unless they've had the Ford Racing suspension installed (which AFAIK is basically the FiST suspension) or have otherwise been lowered. Add some modern super-sticky rubber, maybe a bit more sidewall roll from people running 16s, and this is what you get.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lol, that's loving retarded

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Retarded and fuckin fun ^^

Christobevii3 posted:

Yeah low mileage civic si going for mid $20k's recently. I guess if you didn't mod or drive them?

This is literally why I narrowed my search to a FiST or a FoST, I could not afford a clean civic si at all.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
EP3 Civic Si is worth basically nothing and is pretty underrated; I was planning on buying one before I got my FiST but instead got impatient.
FA5 is ugly and has major paint issues

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Counterpoint:

Weird dick shifter hanging off the dash

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

BlackMK4 posted:

EP3 Civic Si is worth basically nothing and is pretty underrated; I was planning on buying one before I got my FiST but instead got impatient.

Way better motor however.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Counterpoint:

Weird dick shifter hanging off the dash

Better than the FiST where it is too far from you :v:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Become a manlet like me, friend. By the time I get close enough to the pedals to feel comfortable, the shifter is just *perfect*

The distance, not the feel. That 1-2 shift is a little rough sometimes. Definitely not up to the buttery standard of a 2011 acura tsx.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Become a manlet like me, friend. By the time I get close enough to the pedals to feel comfortable, the shifter is just *perfect*

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't like almost anything about the FiST driver's position when I got it, but now I'm so used to it I can't tell what was wrong anymore. Only changes I've made are a pedal cover on the gas to make heel/toe action easier and a silly white shift knob.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I miss my Fa5. If it wasn’t so brutally difficult to work on... it’s basically the perfect daily driver. That being said I’m a total Ford guy now. I love my FiST and daydream of an s550 track car.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

New pads, rotors and koni yellows w swift springs :black101::moonrio:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

drat, that brake dust. At some point it probably costs less to stick a LSD in there.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
He's not running street pads at this point and you'd have dust with a lsd.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Still havent washed the car after a few sessions at Mid Ohio a couple weekends ago :)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr-Spain posted:

Way better motor however.

Stick a K20A2 in it. :getin:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PaintVagrant posted:

Still havent washed the car after a few sessions at Mid Ohio a couple weekends ago :)
I'm very envious of you for this. I'm about an hour up 71 from Mid Ohio and a track day there is on my short list of things I really need to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

wolrah posted:

I'm very envious of you for this. I'm about an hour up 71 from Mid Ohio and a track day there is on my short list of things I really need to do.

Don’t be too envious, I ran 2 sessions and scratched the other 8 because of the rain. It is an awesome track though, real racecar poo poo.