Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

John Murdoch posted:

I'm curious now, how many wins have there been for casting big names in video games? I can think of Nimoy for Civ IV (and Seaman!)...and then uhhh.... :shrug: Oh, and specifically for voice work, because obviously stuff like Red Alert 3 was :discourse:

Weird, it's almost like you completely overlooked Sir Patrick Stewart (and Nimoy's captain) as the emperor in The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Charles Dance as Emhyr in Witcher 3, maybe?

The Kingdom Hearts series, both for their original chracters having their original VAs and Christopher Goddamn Lee

Mass Effect has some celebrities but if they are big names might be questionable

Brutal Legend thrives on this

Ron Perlman as the Fallout Narrator

Vice President Keith David

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah voice acting and stage acting aren't interchangeable skills, so often you end up with a Big Name Actor struggling to sell basic dialogue. Proper VO directing also seems to be an uncommon thing, though that's slowly gotten better over time.

I'm curious now, how many wins have there been for casting big names in video games? I can think of Nimoy for Civ IV (and Seaman!)...and then uhhh.... :shrug: Oh, and specifically for voice work, because obviously stuff like Red Alert 3 was :discourse:

There are good ones but usually they have some background in voice work. Batman fans probably weren't surprised Mark Hamill was good as the Joker...

Oh and Ron Pearlman is iconic for Fallout. Not a character role but for narration. Liam Neeson was pretty good as DAD. Martin Sheen was pretty cool in Mass Effect. It's just not a guarantee that you get good voice work just because someone can act...

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

General Emergency posted:

There are good ones but usually they have some background in voice work. Batman fans probably weren't surprised Mark Hamill was good as the Joker...

Oh and Ron Pearlman is iconic for Fallout. Not a character role but for narration. Liam Neeson was pretty good as DAD. Martin Sheen was pretty cool in Mass Effect. It's just not a guarantee that you get good voice work just because someone can act...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlOYatDYC40

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Samuringa posted:

The Kingdom Hearts series, both for their original chracters having their original VAs and Christopher Goddamn Lee
KH2 managed to rope in Christopher Lee and then in the next game, Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill.
Nimoy basically carries the game as the bad guy, the role was practically written for him.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

DaveKap posted:

Waiting for Shy Guy's review on that...

Well then, I see no reason to make you wait another nine hours for it. It took me a few tries to get a grip on Cliff Empire for reasons I'll get into, but my takeaway is that's good enough to jump on now and noodle with for a few hours. I don't normally talk about price in reviews but I'm kinda shocked it's only $7 and change right now. It's definitely Early Access but there's absolutely enough to it for that price. Also I got a review copy from the developers, and I've spent so much time writing tonight I can't come up with a clever, natural way to work that in here.

The eternal struggle with reviewing Early Access games is focusing on what's there, and not what's promised. It's easy to be lured by plans of sprawling features and endless updates, but you can never be sure how it's all going to pan out. I say this because Cliff Empire is an extremely promising start, a very solid foundation on which to build a complex and engaging city builder. And it's plenty fun for what it is right now, enough to spend a few hours building improbable metropolises in the sky. It's just not going to last you much longer than that.

Yep, it's the post-apocalypse again, this time brought on by nuclear war leading to a permanent radiation layer blanketing the surface of the world. The lucky ones up in the space stations got the bright idea, then, of dropping giant artificial cliffs (or mesas, or buttes if you like) onto the Earth that tower above the deadly fog. You can build rather lovely post-modern cities atop of them too, and that's exactly what you're tasked with doing here. However, every cliff has its own particulars in terms of resources, and to cover the gaps you'll be developing several skyward societies in parallel.

The game starts with you picking a spot on one of your cliffs for a storage depot, which is dropped pre-built and pre-loaded with resources and drones from orbit. From there you have a fairly specific building order (explained by the fairly comprehensive tutorial missions) to get your first city running: You need a power source, residences, landing platform, food and water, battery charger, and portal for selling things back to the folks in space. After that you can start experimenting, though the tutorial goes on to explain plenty more, but it's possible to get yourself into a death spiral if you don't get the essential services and a portal to make money from going.

Some of those features may sound oddly specific, and that's because Cliff Empire has some pretty unique conventions to deal with. Batteries, for example, are used to keep power running in your city when your renewable sources falter. Solar panels don't work at night, obviously, and wind can change from day to day. If you're over-producing on power, the excess can be shunted into batteries that keep the lights on, or are used to build vehicles like drones, or can be sold for profit. Drones are how all your goods are moved around, so expanding you fleet from the airport is important as your city grows. They also move goods to the portal when it's open, so the more drones you have the more goods you can sell per visit.

You'll learn the basics of these systems, but not the specifics of balancing or manipulating them and that's nowhere more apparent than in attracting new citizens. That landing pad I mentioned is the only way to get folks to move in, and they only show up when a full pod of 25 are willing to join your great society. You have several bars monitoring this, including current population, max population (based on residences available), number of people who want to live there, and jobs available. You need to grow that third metric but the game is never clear on how exactly, meaning you can have tons of empty apartments and offices without any idea how to fill them. It doesn't help that you have fourteen different needs to satisfy (shown at the center bottom in unincremented bars) which add to a nebulous prestige number that probably affects who wants to move in?

I'm diving into all the pitfalls of the game up front because you need to be ready to experiment and start over to get how everything works together. The interface feels very much like a work in progress, with some easily mis-clickable buttons and terribly unhelpful resource counts that don't seem to reflect your full stocks or actual production capabilities. A lot of what you do is going to be based on feel as you get more comfortable with the game, which can be frustrating with a simulation this technical. It is forgiving, though, even if your prestige dives and people move out you can recover once things stabilize. Money will always be the greatest concern because you can't really save yourself if you go broke, but after a few tries it shouldn't be too hard to build a profitable city.

And that's when Cliff Empire really sings, when you've got your farms running and your pumps pumping and the nuclear power plant making stable power, because then you can start testing the limits of what you can build. 3D printer factories can build consumer goods for your citizens and engines for your drones and zeppelins, the latter of which provide transportation and tourism between cliffs. For more direct travel you build huge suspension bridges that allow trading between cities, which really opens up the optimization possibilities. There are all manner of services to provide your people like health care and entertainment, and a research system that can improve just about every facet of your cities.

There's a lot to build, and a lot to learn about building, but you should get a grip on it all within the first half-dozen hours or so. All you can do is build at the moment, across a trio of neighboring cliffs, but their resources and layouts are randomized every time you start a new game. And the randomization here is no joke, because you can get cliffs with virtually no uranium or solar generation or even water sources, forcing you to connect your cities and trade goods in new ways every time. Once you get through the tutorial missions you'll start cycling through random events like droughts and storms, and be tasked with supplying the orbital stations with specific goods. At that point, all that's left to do is fill up your cities with a careful balance of people, goods, and services.

Overall the concepts are strong and the building has quite a bit of strategy and balancing to it, but you can more or less solve it pretty fast. The hardest part will be fighting the interface to get the data you need, but fortunately that's the only weak part of the presentation. The art style is an impossibly clean, impossibly white contemporary look that resembles an architectural model brought to life. Coupled with the camera effects you can conjure some striking images, a surreal vision of a sterile tech-heavy society of the future. The sound design is nice and soothing as well, though without anything particularly memorable about it.

Is it worth it right now, then? I would say yes, if you're looking to get a few hours of unique building and trading out of it. Like I said, this is a solid foundation for a truly special sim, but just not a whole lot to do with it at the moment. The random starts can get you some mileage out of it and optimization is a real challenge given the limited data feedback, so there's at least as much to do with it as there is something like Banished. If anything, it makes me particularly excited to see what's in the future for these strange cities in the sky, because I really quite enjoy what I can do with them already.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Synthbuttrange posted:

Battletech flavoured bullshit and I love it. Just like the dumb tabletop game with bullshit rolls enabling you to pull rubbish off like this: My entire squad was whittled down by constant harassing fire and we think we've survived and are just ready to end the mission when a full fresh lance of enemy mechs turn up. Through luck and stratergy we take out the light mechs backing this big heavy up, but he hasnt taken a scratch so far and we're scattered.

On a gamble I send the closest mech I have to try knock him down and buy us some time to regather.

The mech fist goes directly into the pilot and I get a pristine mech to take home after we wash the sauce out of the pilot seat.

it's real good

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I'm guessing this is the same Jenna Sharpe with the extremely right-wing twitter:

https://twitter.com/jennavation

The goon support surprises me, but I suppose it's a healthy attitude not to care too much about a good actor's real-life political views.

Pages ago, but for the record: I did not know this. I remembered her being good in Aquaria, looked her up on imdb and that was basically all I knew about her.

Stickman posted:

What does 9/11 have to do with anything? She voiced Aquaria somewhere in 2005-2007 (hence roughly "ten years ago"). Regardless, the original poster's point was that she carried Aquaria despite being an unknown voice actress. Which she absolutely did, regardless of her politics.

It's pretty disappointing that's she's turned out to be a poo poo person, but it's extremely likely that no one knew that at the time (she was what, 22-24?) and most people probably aren't aware of it now. I certainly wasn't.

This, basically.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Great job digging that meltdown up, only good things will come out of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

idiot meltdowns are always funny

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8ey6ej/so_since_hbs_was_kind_enough_to_block_my_account/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Holy gently caress I thought I got to the end, and the worst of it when he dropped the "dindu nuffin" remark.. BUT IT KEEPS GOING.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

John Murdoch posted:

Well Oblivion was going to sell like hotcakes anyways, but it had a bunch of high profile poo poo. idk

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Great job digging that meltdown up, only good things will come out of it.

Well, if someone accuses me of supporting someone's hate filled views which I didn't even know about, I kind of want to rectify it? I am perfectly fine dropping it beyond that.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

This can't be real

Fuckwit posted:

As the Jumpship enters the system I take a look across my vag!napit (cockpit was deemed offensive after the Third Sex-cession war) and prepare for undocking procedure. The comm monitor bleeps a notification at me and I accept the incoming call.

A trangender face resembling the ancient hero of the past, called Bufalo Bill, shows up on the monitor.

"-How was the flight?" It... They ask.

I itch under my beenie hat that hides my racist blonde hair and reply with a full knowledge of my white privelege:

Is he writing his own weird fanfiction here? he has to be

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hollenhammer posted:

This can't be real

Is he writing his own weird fanfiction here? he has to be

This is seemingly him trying to narrate as someone "forced" into conforming his views to align with his supposed SJW oppressors.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Well then, I see no reason to make you wait another nine hours for it.
Much appreciated! I got a good amount of enjoyment out of Frostpunk despite its rather short playtime so a cheaper EA city builder with a short playtime is also worth a purchase in my book.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is seemingly him trying to narrate as someone "forced" into conforming his views to align with his supposed SJW oppressors.

that's funny, come on

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm the ! in "vag!na"

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

sebmojo posted:

that's funny, come on

There's some extreme racism, sexism, transphobia and a hint of homophobia in that review, the only funny part is how upset this boy is by a video game having non white characters and a third pronoun option.

The bit where he sums up his problems with the game is very telling:

quote:

Horrible SJW mess where the only white person is the bad guy. Streamlined into a shallow TBS with waves (yes, this is how bad it is) so that didndu-nuffins won't hurt their brain when playing it.

Named after one of the greatest franchises out there that I personally loved playing for 20+ years.

But you can pick the colour of your lipstick if you're a man... or "they"...

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 27, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
cannot believe they turned this turn based strategy table top game into a turn based strategy video game smdh at this trangression

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

e: nm

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

il_cornuto posted:

There's some extreme racism, sexism, transphobia and a hint of homophobia in that review, the only funny part is how upset this boy is by a video game having non white characters and a third pronoun option.

The bit where he sums up his problems with the game is very telling:

yeah ok that's p bad though still kind of hilarious

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hey, Fanatical has two 1$ bundles up for a bunch of wargames/hexgames, and - well, are they good?

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/civil-war-dollar-bundle
https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/tank-battle-dollar-bundle

The games are Civil War: [x], and Tank Battle: [x], and Steam reviews say they're decent mid-tier wargames, and well... hmm.

(I know I should probably get back to playing Panzer Corp or Unity of Command, but the lure of new games is appealing, always.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Diversity doesn’t scare me, the lack of diversity makes me uncomfortable. There are almost no white people in this game, and those that are there are evil. Are the developers (ironically, from Sweden - the country that shifted to Middle Ages because of refugees and their immigrant policies) telling me that all the white people with normal hairstyles will die out?

You can’t even think beyond your own presumptions, you see “SJW” in a text, and you comment with a prejudice about someone you don’t know.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm officially tired of pixel font text. You give me proper, legible text or else. :colbert:

E: I sorta like Technobabylon, but I can't easily read its dumb font. Blargh!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Could we keep this poo poo out of the PC games thread, ironic or otherwise

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I thought there was a rule for that?
Edit: There was a rule there, but it's gone now.

HGH fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 27, 2018

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Knorth posted:

Could we keep this poo poo out of the PC games thread, ironic or otherwise

It's a quote from the ranty guy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

It's a quote from the ranty guy

Can you still keep from posting it here, it's not fun or funny

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Free Mini Ninjas with code MINININJAS

NA: https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/280988/mini-ninjas-pc-download
EU: https://store.eu.square-enix.com/eu/product/310553/mini-ninjas-pc-download

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you still keep from posting it here, it's not fun or funny

No I agree, the only bit I posted was refuting the idea that it was funny

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

No I agree, the only bit I posted was refuting the idea that it was funny

Fair enough, let's move on.

Nier Automata is 50% off in case anyone missed it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Too Shy Guy posted:

Cliff Empire

The write-up makes me excited to try it out over the weekend. It looks like a diamond in the rough that will most likely get the polishing it deserves in due time.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ghostlight posted:

Diversity doesn’t scare me, the lack of diversity makes me uncomfortable. There are almost no white people in this game, and those that are there are evil. Are the developers (ironically, from Sweden - the country that shifted to Middle Ages because of refugees and their immigrant policies) telling me that all the white people with normal hairstyles will die out?

You can’t even think beyond your own presumptions, you see “SJW” in a text, and you comment with a prejudice about someone you don’t know.

I've seen this a few times, mostly when alt-right Americans get mad at our games. Is there a view in some parts of the US that Sweden has collapsed or something? As a Brit living in Sweden it seems like a great place. It's as if people heard about paid vacation time and social healthcare and their brains just broke. Kind of like how the :zaurg: thread ended...

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I've been playing a bunch of Endless Space 2 lately and really enjoying it. I've seen a lot of people complaining about the combat though, and to be clear it's certainly not good, but it's also so perfunctory that it doesn't really drag the game down for me. All the important decisions are in the easy to use ship designer and choosing which ones to build when, and then picking from a small selection of tactics based on a couple of very clear pie charts at the start of battle. You don't even have to (and probably shouldn't) watch the battles play out, since it's all automated from the moment you click fight, so it doesn't take up any time.

Obviously I'd like it more if it an actual good turn based battle system, but since that is extremely rare for 4x games anyway this kind of quick and easy automated battle system seems like the next best thing. I know you can automate battles in some other 4x's, but I always feel like I'm going to be at a disadvantage if I do that anyway, so I end up playing them anyway even if they're not fun (see Endless Legend). Not even giving me the option to micromanage the battles takes that stress away. I'll still go for something like AoW3 - or a non 4x strategy game - if I want some actual fun combat, but ES2 does everything else so well that I'm just glad going to war isn't a drag.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Darkrenown posted:

I've seen this a few times, mostly when alt-right Americans get mad at our games. Is there a view in some parts of the US that Sweden has collapsed or something? As a Brit living in Sweden it seems like a great place. It's as if people heard about paid vacation time and social healthcare and their brains just broke. Kind of like how the :zaurg: thread ended...
I think it's based almost entirely on a complete misunderstanding of Sweden's justice system by right-wing pundits who, once refugees started moving through Europe, started looking for the evidence to support their notion that middle-eastern immigrants were inherently bad and found it in Sweden's reported rape statistics being significantly higher than anywhere else in Europe, with Sweden being amongst the first to take in the refugees they drew a straight line between the two to the collapse of Swedish society without understanding that reported rapes have always been higher because Sweden has one of the broadest definitions of rape, records each reported instance of rape rather than each victim, and doesn't have an adversarial police culture that dissuades possible victims from coming forward.

Sweden is also socialist, so it's always been a single disaster away from being a eastern-bloc communist hell-hole where people queue up for bread.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Darkrenown posted:

The white nationalists around the world are talking to the white nationalists in sweden. Because let's be honest, a white nationalist in the US isn't going to have the faintest idea about foreign country immigration without another compatriot telling them about it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

White nationalists also worship Scandinavian countries because they jerk off to Viking fantasies so they view them as basically race traitors.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ghostlight posted:

Sweden is also socialist, so it's always been a single disaster away from being a eastern-bloc communist hell-hole where people queue up for bread.

Ironically, bread has become seriously uncool in Sweden so no queueing here… unless it's the queue for your sour-dough daycare centre. Yes, that's a thing (not the queue part). :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ghostlight posted:

I think it's based almost entirely on a complete misunderstanding of Sweden's justice system by right-wing pundits who, once refugees started moving through Europe, started looking for the evidence to support their notion that middle-eastern immigrants were inherently bad and found it in Sweden's reported rape statistics being significantly higher than anywhere else in Europe, with Sweden being amongst the first to take in the refugees they drew a straight line between the two to the collapse of Swedish society without understanding that reported rapes have always been higher because Sweden has one of the broadest definitions of rape, records each reported instance of rape rather than each victim, and doesn't have an adversarial police culture that dissuades possible victims from coming forward.

IIRC they expanded their legal definition of rape to be what it is today around what happened to be the start of the Syrian civil war, so an uptick in refugees happened to correlate with a like 400% increase in Sweden's rape statistics. I believe that's the exact part neocons point to for their evidence, and from that point it's sort of spiraled in to "Sweden is a barbaric nightmare land ruled by jihadists," which uhh holds up to scrutiny about as well as that Battletech nerd's inclusion of a transgender Sikh breaking their own legs to get out of work in his SJW Dystopia fan-fic.