Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/989511498681782272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm reasonably certain (note that I am not a lawyer) that you can be compelled to show up in court, in front of a grand jury, or in front of Congress but they can't compel you to incriminate yourself. I think that was why Skreli's lawyer told him to do that; refusing to show up would have been a bad idea but he could just go up and say "Fifth Amendment" over and over again.

If you’re being questioned by the government about something that could potentially incriminate you, you have full right to plead the Fifth any time there’s no emergency (like someone in danger if you don’t answer). But you need to actually invoke this right specifically. If you just stay silent without invoking your right, your silence can be used against you.

Some other exceptions to that:

1. If you volunteer information without waiting for a question to be asked or after pleading the Fifth, that’s always evidence.

2. You can’t plead the Fifth after partially answering something or volunteering information. You can be compelled to continue answering that line of questioning.

3. The Fifth doesn’t protect against documents being demanded, and you can’t plead to protect a different person from incrimination.

4. If you’re granted immunity, the Fifth Amendment no longer applies and you can actually be held in contempt for refusing to answer after being immunized from prosecution. This is why granting immunity is used to force small fry to give up information on their bosses.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Free Drinks posted:

I suppose it's not that rare of a joke, but should I feel silly for immediately thinking it's a Transformers: The Movie (the cartoon one) reference?

Yes, you should feel ashamed for thinking such a common quote is first attributable to a child's movie.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

chitoryu12 posted:

4. If you’re granted immunity, the Fifth Amendment no longer applies and you can actually be held in contempt for refusing to answer after being immunized from prosecution. This is why granting immunity is used to force small fry to give up information on their bosses.

Can you link to this ever happening? I hear this sometimes but have never seen anything more than hearsay about it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Can you link to this ever happening? I hear this sometimes but have never seen anything more than hearsay about it.

Remember Sheriff Joe Arpaio?

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008

Atticus_1354 posted:

I don't know how common it is in congress but it's extremely common in criminal trials, found a little article about an example in congress though. https://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/03/29/maneuvering-for-an-immunity-deal/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Foxrunsecurity posted:

I don't know how common it is in congress but it's extremely common in criminal trials, found a little article about an example in congress though. https://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/03/29/maneuvering-for-an-immunity-deal/

It’s more of a criminal trial thing, but the main point is the Fifth only applies to self-incrimination, protecting you from being forced to testify to a government entity that you committed a crime. If you’re granted immunity from prosecution for your testimony, that last factor no longer exists (because you can no longer be charged) and thus you lose your Fifth Amendment rights to remain silent.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Never tell the government anything

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Man, that goes on for an embarrassingly long time. I wonder if his thought process was, "Well, I know this is too big to fit through this window, but they're all laughing at me in there, so I can't just walk away from this without getting something."

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lurking Haro posted:

Remember Sheriff Joe Arpaio?

The only thing I want to read about this oval office, and the oval office that pardoned him, is an obit. Schadenfreude's on me for having to wait.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder if the tray/window geometry is by design, or happenstance.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OutOfPrint posted:

Man, that goes on for an embarrassingly long time. I wonder if his thought process was, "Well, I know this is too big to fit through this window, but they're all laughing at me in there, so I can't just walk away from this without getting something."

I don't get why they don't start swinging at the guys arm with *something*. Bound to be a hammer or a broom or something they can use to discourage the guy. poo poo, pour hot coffee on him. That'd be funny.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't get why they don't start swinging at the guys arm with *something*. Bound to be a hammer or a broom or something they can use to discourage the guy. poo poo, pour hot coffee on him. That'd be funny.

They probably called the cops and the guy obliged them by waiting there.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's not their cash. He's really only inconveniencing them by clogging up the window.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Bunni-kat posted:

It's not their cash. He's really only inconveniencing them by clogging up the window.

And if that's a fast food place I doubt their healthcare is great for knife(or whatever that is) wounds. The place might even have a policy not to interfere with robberies, like big box stores that just hand it to police

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OutOfPrint posted:

I think by the end he's trying to pry the drawer open. I was hoping it would spring open and shoot across the room....

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Bunni-kat posted:

:geno: You do your thing, man, I'm paid by the hour.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bunni-kat posted:

Yeah, but come one - wouldn't you like to have the opportunity to stab one of your customers with no repercussions?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/989589470713470976

How long were you sitting on this one Onion

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

spog posted:

Yeah, but come one - wouldn't you like to have the opportunity to stab one of your customers with no repercussions?

Except there can be repercussions, which is why some stores tell employees to be hands off.

I suspect whoever left that window open even that little bit is in trouble.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Trying to stop a robbery puts you at more of a risk than just letting it happen, and stores would pay more than they lost in a register or from stolen goods than they would in paying out someone who got hurt trying to protect that stuff, and more than likely bystanders who also got hurt. So most places have a policy of "Just let them take the stuff so they leave."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SpacePig posted:

Trying to stop a robbery puts you at more of a risk than just letting it happen, and stores would pay more than they lost in a register or from stolen goods than they would in paying out someone who got hurt trying to protect that stuff, and more than likely bystanders who also got hurt. So most places have a policy of "Just let them take the stuff so they leave."

Yeah, that's the policy at my job. The money is replaceable, you aren't (until we find out you weren't dropping enough money in the drop safe, in which case you're fired).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

iospace posted:

Yeah, that's the policy at my job. The money is replaceable, you aren't (until we find out you weren't dropping enough money in the drop safe, in which case you're fired).

It's more like "the money is insured, you might sue us"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

iospace posted:

The money is also probably insured if it's properly locked in the safe. The employees probably aren't insured. From a more cynical point of view it doesn't take much effort to clean up after a guy makes some threats and leaves with cash, maybe damaging a counter or something along the way. A dead body and a lot of blood is a bigger, messier cleanup that can close the place for a while. There's also the PR nightmare of "oh wow I don't want to work or shop there, people get shot!"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

purple death ray posted:

It's more like "the money is insured, you might sue us"

Ding ding ding!

Companies can recover losses from robberies and burglaries in a few different ways, but probably don't have any sort of liability insurance for employees or customers that would protect them in the case of an employee actively trying to stop a robbery. There have been stories of people fired for stopping a robbery, because they were distinctly told not to, and put the company at risk of legal action if anybody had gotten hurt. Even if nobody does get hurt, the risk one creates in trying to stop a robbery is enough for disciplinary action.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The money is also probably insured if it's properly locked in the safe. The employees probably aren't insured. From a more cynical point of view it doesn't take much effort to clean up after a guy makes some threats and leaves with cash, maybe damaging a counter or something along the way. A dead body and a lot of blood is a bigger, messier cleanup that can close the place for a while. There's also the PR nightmare of "oh wow I don't want to work or shop there, people get shot!"

The money is always insured if it has been paid and the sale has been recorded.

The problem is that gunho-Rambo's will only put everyone at the store at risk, and if anything happens it will become the liability of the owner since the person causing additional damage was one of the employees.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Couple years old, still fun. A right-wing German gives a Hitler salute to antagonise a nearby antifascist demonstration. The Hitlergruß is illegal in Germany.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That haircut should be illegal

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
If you'd ever wondered what it'd be like if you smashed Martin Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones together into one man, you now have your answer.

Also, lol at the adult man with a mushroom cut in 2018.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

SpacePig posted:

If you'd ever wondered what it'd be like if you smashed Martin Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones together into one man, you now have your answer.

Its so weird how he looks exactly like Freeman from the side, then not even slightly from the front.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ante posted:

That haircut should be illegal

Well it is the Modepolizeispezialist attending a critical situation but the guy doing the salute forced him to take additional actions.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

DiggityDoink posted:

Yes, you should feel ashamed for thinking such a common quote is first attributable to a child's movie.

Ah, good. I wasn't quite sure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/7rGr5yZ.mp4

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/989883619849199616

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Those madmen, they actually rebuilt it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see Milo Yiannopolous's business has imploded after the sudden death of a crypto-currency billionaire he was hoping would fund it.

Which is basically the Milo Yiannopolousest way your business can fail.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dillbag posted:

Those madmen, they actually rebuilt it

Not securely strapping people in made it *safer*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SpacePig posted:

to be fair, i think that was in like 2016 :whitewater:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wow i really believe this is real :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.