Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I mean maybe he’s trying to promote himself up in the village hierarchy without supplanting Senku. Set himself up a nice cult and get whatever amenities he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gen was pretty instrumental in the first assault on the village ending with zero casualties. If he had revealed the village has no guns and he didn't sabotage spear gear's guy Senku might well be dead by now and gotten Gen a nice, comfy spot at the top of Tsukasa's hierarchy.

That said, Gen is the kinda guy who's always looking out for number one, so I'm giving it equal odds to it either being some kinda red herring or a long con that lets him oust Senku after Tsuakasa is dealt with and usurp leadership to live a life of relative luxury.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fabricated posted:

Cold forging with brute force I guess?

I don't think that's possible. Tungsten is suuuuuper brittle despite it's strength, you'll just end up with little chips and dust.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gens gonna convince the villagers he's god and he'll have a cult of servants

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Actually maybe Gen is going to betray Senku because he doesn't have faith in the cell phone angle

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Placing my bet now that it's like, a surprise birthday party for Senku. I can't see any possible reason that Gen would try to go back--Senku's repeatedly delivered on providing the kind of modern comforts that he's clearly aren't possible back in meatheadland.

I believe the translator for this series estimated Senku's birthday as being in January and last chapter was New Years, so the birthday party is a legitimate possibility.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a proficiency in handicrafts means she'll be the old man's successor as the expert craftsman

I hope she becomes all swole.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

If this manga goes long term and doesn't end after they deal with Tsukasa, Gen would make a lot of sense as a villain. He's really intelligent and his character is a mentalist so he should be good at manipulating people in a way where they don't even know they're being manipulated. I think he's pretty loyal to Senku at the moment though.

I can't imagine that he'd ever quit unless there was another science kingdom around.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the thing he wanted out of the muscle kingdom was a comfy life with a harem of chicks soo he's probably doing something to get that, i doubt he wants to rule because that poo poo's a hassle and senku can give him a way more comfortable life

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
good news for Gen: boichi is drawing this series so there are babes everywhere

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing I still don't buy is Gen lasting long at all in Tsukasa-land. He's exactly the kind of person Tsukasa would instantly dispose of the moment he outlived his usefulness because Tsukasa clearly could see the dangers of letting him hang around even if he was thoroughly bribed with women. I can't imagine the kind of people Tsukasa would release would respect him much either.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Upon returning they'll discover Gen has cobbled together village resources for a new coke bottling plant.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, it's ether going to be utterly terrifying or completely silly, there's no inbetween.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its good

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/56/page/1

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gross, dude

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
What a gross chapter.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Gonna make a risky statement: I like Gen.

Of course that pretty much raises the chance that he's going to flip by at least 50%.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he seems pretty genuine at this point. that was a nice gross chapter

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

So I ran the numbers, and it doesn't add up. Assuming the numbers on this page are the final count of how long Senku was stoned (which puts the first chapter starting in late October 2049), that puts his birthday somewhere in late May, depending on leap days. For his birthday to be in January the petrification would have to have hit in early June.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

ZiegeDame posted:

So I ran the numbers, and it doesn't add up. Assuming the numbers on this page are the final count of how long Senku was stoned (which puts the first chapter starting in late October 2049), that puts his birthday somewhere in late May, depending on leap days. For his birthday to be in January the petrification would have to have hit in early June.

I think that page is just a moment from when Senku was counting, not the final moments.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Crain posted:

Gonna make a risky statement: I like Gen.

Of course that pretty much raises the chance that he's going to flip by at least 50%.

I’m calling 90% chance of him being on the level.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 29, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

I’m calling 90% chance of him being on the level.

His actions don't really make sense if he's pulling some sort of long con. If he wanted Tsukasa to win, he already could have enabled that, and there's no third option that would be better for Gen than either Tsukasa or Senku. The only thing like this I can think of would be a situation where he has to choose between betrayal and dying at the hand of Tsukasa's group, but I can't see him betraying Senku out of his own free will.

I can't help but feel like working on walkie talkies (I imagine this is what they mean by cell phone) isn't the most effective use of their time. It seems like bee-lining for guns or improved fortifications/armor would be top priority, though I guess the plot is aiming for some way to defeat Tsukasa that doesn't involve just violently killing scores of people with crude guns and explosives.

I also feel like it would be optimal for Tsukasa to literally attack immediately, rather than giving Senku time to develop more science. While he gains more people, he already has more right now, and every month that passes means potential significant force multipliers for Senku and company. I don't see how Science Village could possibly deal with him right now, particular since Tsukasa seems to operate under anime "can defeat literally anyone in a straight-up fight" rules.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What an incredibly pure chapter

"The friends we made along the way is the true treasure"

*Powerfully in sync* Barf

"But you're barfing in unison at least!" :saddowns:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/57/

Senku and Chrome are the best crafting friends he could ask for

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

This manga has heart. I love the relationship between the village members!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Boichi releasing a bit of their pent-up horndogginess in that cover.

And Kaseki :3:
Best muscle grandpa

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 11, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Boichi is like Shun Saeki.

Every now and then he reaches peak lewd and has to draw some serious cheesecake.
And it's perfect in every way!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Boichi releasing a bit of their pent-up horndogginess in that cover.

That is an extremely unsafe testing environment for that, Senku.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Who the gently caress wears stiletto heels to the beach? That cover is scientifically unsound and I can't believe Senku would let this happen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZiegeDame posted:

Who the gently caress wears stiletto heels to the beach? That cover is scientifically unsound and I can't believe Senku would let this happen.

The same people who wear thigh-high stockings with their bikinis.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/58/page/1

Kaseki's reaction to the blueprint alone is fantastic and perfect

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

We built this Science Kingdom on high-fives!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
At the end of this manga I expect someone to make a montage of all the high-fives and end with Magma and Senku's "ewwwww friendship" panel.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The only thing that super bugs me about this is that vacuum tubes are garbage

that said this is an anime with a boy who is as strong as ten dudes in one raising a caveman army so I guess I should be less concerned

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They're garbage, but the next step in that tech tree is transistors, and from a quick wiki that means getting germanium crystals. So when the radio needs an upgrade, we can see if they can find some in the cave.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The only thing that super bugs me about this is that vacuum tubes are garbage

Clearly Senku is an audiophile and wants the phone to have the warmest sound possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's pretty common knowledge that vacuum tubes wear out quickly and must be replaced regularly, but that's for larger scale devices that see extended use. i don't know enough about the failure rate of handmade vacuum tubes on handmade low power radios to judge this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Elfface posted:

They're garbage, but the next step in that tech tree is transistors, and from a quick wiki that means getting germanium crystals. So when the radio needs an upgrade, we can see if they can find some in the cave.

and if you want to go any further you're going to need silicon.
Which if described in senkuu plan-o-vision is a hell of a lot of steps from scratch.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I really like this series. It's the 'How It's Made' show but if you don't know how you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Senku's dad continues to be the best dad.