Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, I broke down and bought this game. Playing on a lower difficulty, may ramp it up later a bit, trying to set up a colony to get the basics down, with just a few mods (bones, prosthetic, hospitality, robots I will probably never see, tilled soil). How does one feed domesticated animals? I've got a fox that landed with me, and I want it eating kibble rather than like meals or raw ingredients.

I may have over planted a bit, my freezer is almost overfilled right now and I've got a year round growing season.

Also had my first real guests arrive during a heat wave. They didn't get rooms in the mountain because I hadn't carved any out yet, so they left pissy. Managed to save one who fell unconscious, who just staggered off the map before they collapsed, but another guy I couldn't get anyone to save, so oops. He died after everyone left though, so I don't really care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Either you designate a zone the fox can go where the food you want to give it lives and make sure it can't go where the other food is kept, or you get Smarter Food Selection mod.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I badly need a mod that monitors enemies on the map (like the Wildlife tab mod) and one that monitors apparel like the Weapons tab mod. Please tell me those exist somewhere.

PS My doctor was feeding a disabled warrior. Did he go to the kitchen and get a meal? No, let's feed him the raw corpse of his bonded stegosaurus.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I badly need a mod that monitors enemies on the map (like the Wildlife tab mod) and one that monitors apparel like the Weapons tab mod. Please tell me those exist somewhere.

PS My doctor was feeding a disabled warrior. Did he go to the kitchen and get a meal? No, let's feed him the raw corpse of his bonded stegosaurus.

Not sure about enemies, but Fluffy's Numbers mod has a section where you can add equipment to the display, which will list all colonists and their current equipment. You can use the tab to show other information as well, it's completely customizable in-game.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Some of the fluffy mods add an overview just like the animals, wildlife and colonist overview menu, for enemies.

Maybe its one of the medical ones? I remember you can set medical and food levels for them through it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Numbers does that for enemies, and also (really handy) corpses!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1194336198

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So during my toxic fallout adventure, Randy sends down a poison ship in the far far corner of the map. Great, I have one assault rifle of marginal quality and only a few bolt actions.

Since this is my first time dealing with a ship and my options were limited due to the fallout, I figured I'd try out the "burn them out" approach I've seen in here. I quickly build a bunch of beds indoors, queue up some wood and stone walls around the ship, and send a builder without toxic buildup to start reinstalling the beds.

The bed goes down next to the ship, the mechanoids spawn, RIP that colonist.

So since I'm still new to this game and want to try to learn the mechanics as best I can before doing a permadeath game, I reload and reposition the bed. And despite it no longer being directly adjacent, the bed again triggered the spawn.

A few attempts later I get a bed down five tiles away with no spawn. Great! I start drawing out walls and come to the realization that putting up roofs would probably also trigger the mechanoids even assuming they would fully cover the area. As I'm pondering how to deal with this since cheese is off the menu, Randy adds to the fun and sends a raid. A pirate raid. A pirate raid on the exact opposite side of the ship from my pawn.

My builder has frag grenades. :getin:

gently caress it, I have absolutely nothing to lose here, so I toss a grenade at the ship and run like hell. The grenade spawns a scyther and two centipede that see the pirates as being closer targets than the pawn running for her life.

By the time the pirates flee they have lost seven men. The scyther is downed, the minigun centipede is barely mobile, the poison ship is at 20% and the inferno centipede is dinged up enough not be a major threat to the longsword wielding pawns who are at home sleeping during all this fun. As I finish cleaning up the poison ship, Randy decides to end the three weeks of fallout.

This game is great.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I love turning the baddies onto each other!

Burn them out works on bugs afaik, not mechs, yeah?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

I love turning the baddies onto each other!

Burn them out works on bugs afaik, not mechs, yeah?

Yep. Mechs don't care about heat. I had a similar experience to that story where a massive raid spawned with the ship in between us, so I had my pawns in the base set up at the mortars and start shelling when the raiders got close. Threw on some heavy metal music for atmosphere.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
One of my absolute favorite tactics when poo poo has gone down in my games lately involves the dino mod. Because the tame fail rate/ aggro rate is so insane I generally leave T-Rexes and whatnot alone unless they directly go after my guys. This is useful during raids because I can take pot shots at them to make the rexes or brontos or whatever large dino is hanging out there aggressive, and then run and watch them go after the pirates/ tribals/ random trade caravans I might be greedy for.

As much as I love the Boomalope herd defense it can be a lot funnier to aggravate a bunch of raptors.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I set a 3 bronto herd on a 30 pawn tribal raid, that was pretty awesome.

Had three pawns standing at range with a bolt action rifle and two recurve bows to help things along.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's pretty ewok right there.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the mod that adds jedi powers seems really overpowered you can just heal everyone completely after every raid pretty quickly

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I for one am shocked that a jedi powers mod would be over powered.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What's the mechanism, bacta tanks? Or some Jedi handwavy stuff? (Not that bacta isn't handwavy, ofc)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If they're going with Old Republic force magic goofiness like in the RPGs, there's a Force power that can just straight up mystically heal people's wounds.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Slung Blade posted:

What's the mechanism, bacta tanks? Or some Jedi handwavy stuff? (Not that bacta isn't handwavy, ofc)

Force power for light side jedi. For dark side there are powers for force lightning and other offensive skills.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I for one am shocked that a jedi powers mod would be over powered.

they could have balanced it in some way or at least sent enemy jedi at you or anything really instead I can just heal all four people who got hurt fully with "Force Heal (Master)"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

All the fandom mods are overpowered (Cthulhu, Jedi, etc.) because they are about WOW LOOK AT THIS OTHER MEDIA WE PUT IN RIMWORLD and not about making a balanced and interesting addition to the game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well it's fair to say they're overpowered and not balanced but that doesn't mean they're not interesting. The Cults mod is actually not too insane if you limit yourself to only one god (just stop researching after the first one, or only advance one).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's interesting if you're part of the fandom they were made for. If you're just looking for good additions to vanilla Rimworld, though, the OPness is kind of boring.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well of course, if it was a Thomas the Tank Engine mod I'm pretty sure normal people wouldn't jump on that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skyrim tho

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I played as a battletoad in skyrim, and had a mod that turned the riverwood trader into that pawnshop what used to be on the tvs, complete with voice clips from the stupid show.

Skyrim is less about cohesive modding balance and or context and more about "ican mod this so i will. The fun you get out of it as a result of modding, or the lack thereof, is entirely your own fault.

Rimworld works the same way.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's interesting if you're part of the fandom they were made for. If you're just looking for good additions to vanilla Rimworld, though, the OPness is kind of boring.

What are some other good "generic" mods?

I have noticed that starting up rimworld and loading a game seems to slow way the gently caress down when I have a pile of mods installed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you're into a longer tech progression, Tribal Essentials and Medieval Times are both great, they don't wreck game balance (the endgame best poo poo is still the vanilla poo poo like power armor, assault rifles, geothermal) and they just add gobs of stuff to do instead of go straight to those things.

e: it's good to turn research speed down a lot (I do 50%) via scenario editor

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 28, 2018

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

ShadowHawk posted:

The Save Our Ship and gently caress Not Again mods are sort of a compromise between the two - bring your favorite characters and animals and objects into the next planet (at enormous cost), so that the story doesn't quite end.

I tried to get this through Steam Workshop but it seems to only be for .17, they don't seem to (or want to?) update them to .18, so I don't know if it's going to wreck everything. It's in the red on the mod list. I love the idea of continuation - you could start your colonists off on a regular planet, ship them off, have them crash on a desert planet. If you ace that, have them crash on an ice planet - or a planet that's entirely tribals, or entirely pirates (love that Factions mod).

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Figure I might as well list what I have so far.

These ones I consider essential, mostly QOL stuff
Rimworld Search Agency - Everyone should have this
Map Reroll
Allow tool
Prepare Carefully
Cut Blighted Plants
Replace Walls
Research Try although I may try Research Pal
While you're up
Preset Filtered Zones
Pawns are Capable
Efficient Utilities
Quality Builder
Psychology
Configurable Maps
Work Tab - I always run into issues with the time gated priorities overwriting everything else on load
Hand Me that Brick
Blueprints
Prepare Carefully
Refugee Stats
Medical Tab
Colony Manager
Animals Tab

Handy stuff
Cooks can Refuel
Quality Surgeon
Better Workbench Management
Trading Spot
Rim Fridge
Sidearms
Hospitality
Fluffy Breakdowns
Pharmacist
More trait slots
Consolidated Traits
Natures Pretty Sweet
Craft Drugs at Drug labs
Door Mat
EPOE
Architect Sense
Stack Merger
Relations

These are just decorative
Chicken Nest
Zen Garden
Round Tables
More Funiture
More Floors
Spoons Hair Mod
Moredetailbody
Facial Stuff
Color Coded Mood Bar

These are ones I'm currently on the fence about
Concrete
Fertile Fields These two just add so much complexity and I'm not sure its worth it.

These are some new ones I don't really have an opinion about yet
RimStory
Room Sense
Prison Labor
Locks
Expanded Roofing
Glass and Lights
Heat Map
Set up Camp
Numbers
Repair Workbench

The pile of some day I will try a Tribal to spacetech game mods
Faction Control
Tribal Raiders
Tribal Essentials
Medieval Times

All I need is that vegetables mod, a way to fish, and some way to make crafts out of bone and I think I will have most of the dwarf fortress industries :v

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rainbeau's Basic Bridges is really nice, as are pretty much all of his mods.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1193975866

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Rainbeau's Basic Bridges is really nice, as are pretty much all of his mods.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1193975866

Yea, I think I have most of their mods. Same with Fluffy. Anything by either of those is probably getting installed.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I think Medieval Times wrecks the poo poo out of balance, once you get enough metal armor your guys are basically in power armor but costs a whole lot less. Then you start getting artifact and nanite gear and it gets even more screwy.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I tried to get this through Steam Workshop but it seems to only be for .17, they don't seem to (or want to?) update them to .18, so I don't know if it's going to wreck everything. It's in the red on the mod list. I love the idea of continuation - you could start your colonists off on a regular planet, ship them off, have them crash on a desert planet. If you ace that, have them crash on an ice planet - or a planet that's entirely tribals, or entirely pirates (love that Factions mod).
The author of Save Our Ship went MIA, but someone else on the forums ported it:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35742.msg405387#msg405387

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That Guy Bob posted:

I think Medieval Times wrecks the poo poo out of balance, once you get enough metal armor your guys are basically in power armor but costs a whole lot less. Then you start getting artifact and nanite gear and it gets even more screwy.

Also Medieval Times adds a bunch of extra gear slots so my stockpiles get clogged with socks and gloves.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Set up camp is an essential to continuing a colony that is low in resources or space, or on a computer that slows down real quick on larger maps.

I used to play the largest map sizes because i wanted to ensure i had enough resources for a long game, and space to breed my flocks of turtles and rats.

However, with setup camp, i now play on either the smallest or second smallest, for the colony itself, and have an permanent setup camp tile for ranching my animals, and a couple of other temporary ones i cycle through prospecting for whatever resources random gen gives me.

I like it a hell of a lot more than my old style of play, theres a lot more management in my colony management game now, what with coordinating moving herd excess for slaughter, and providing food and security to all places.

Seeing as raids and events can happen in setup camp places as well, things can get quite hands on at times and its super interactive for those that like that sort of play.

In addition, combined with the dropship mod, or even just the vanilla droppods, you can make a safe landing site/tradebase just outside the homes of your trading partners if you're the type to go trading with them. I generally keep two nerds in a tiny lodge at these places, one cooking and cleaning, the other growing hunting and maintaining.

Keeps the site active and safe, and allows you to have near instant trade without waiting for a caravan to come to you. After trading, just dropship/pod your wealth/stuff from trading back to the main base to keep the lodges wealh low, and thus its threats managable by the nice homesteader couple living there. :3:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Two reminders / lessons from my colony just now:

1). Bring way more food than you think you need to caravan when going to rescue a crash victim; they're probably going to be really hosed up and slow down the return trip appreciably.

2) Keep your doctor way the gently caress away from the front lines regardless of how good they are at shooting and how outnumbered you are. Just lost my 20 skill builder due to a liver infection from taking a revolver shot; my trauma savant doctor was unconscious from pain the whole time and the replacement medic I used to triage half my colony didn't have the skill to perform a liver transplant.

Then the warg we crashed with, bonded to said builder, went berserk and nearly killed two more people (including substitute medic) before settling down.

Still, made it three years in that colony and had some nice successes including a thriving devilstrand growing operation, so I'm OK stepping back and starting a new run, especially with some QoL mods this time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also Medieval Times adds a bunch of extra gear slots so my stockpiles get clogged with socks and gloves.

Both of those are fair complaints, yeah. I personally think those are just extra content but I don't disagree. People have criticized how quick it is to gather a lot of coal from the quarry as well, although imo it's just stuff you do instead of going straight to Electricity.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tortolia posted:

Two reminders / lessons from my colony just now:

1). Bring way more food than you think you need to caravan when going to rescue a crash victim; they're probably going to be really hosed up and slow down the return trip appreciably.

2) Keep your doctor way the gently caress away from the front lines regardless of how good they are at shooting and how outnumbered you are. Just lost my 20 skill builder due to a liver infection from taking a revolver shot; my trauma savant doctor was unconscious from pain the whole time and the replacement medic I used to triage half my colony didn't have the skill to perform a liver transplant.

Then the warg we crashed with, bonded to said builder, went berserk and nearly killed two more people (including substitute medic) before settling down.

Still, made it three years in that colony and had some nice successes including a thriving devilstrand growing operation, so I'm OK stepping back and starting a new run, especially with some QoL mods this time.

I'm going to reiterate what I always harp on in situations like this: drop pods, drop pods, drop pods. (Or ships if you have the mod.)

Soldiers (who hopefully at least one or two are good at building, plant cutting, or mining) always go first to secure the site and build the initial field hospital. Then you pod in the doctor or nurse to tend to your refugee.

If they're a worthwhile colonist, you pod them back using resources harvested while they healed (pod in the fuel, obv). Pod back as many of the initial team as you can (always need to leave one behind to launch the pods). Never be caught in the open with critical personnel or with injured baggage. Mobility is key.

Drop ships make this all cheap and easy, of course, so I highly recommend that mod.

Harvest everything you can while on the refugee map, usually that's worth more than the person you came to rescue.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Drop pods are very legit, I really enjoy the lower tech style of colony but when I've built drop pods they change the game dramatically. They're kind of their own little game.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Drop pods are very legit, I really enjoy the lower tech style of colony but when I've built drop pods they change the game dramatically. They're kind of their own little game.

I use the advanced drop pods mod that gives reuseable pods, that's the best. At first glance it looks overpowered but it's only really automating the boring logistics of making pod chains.

Mod request: anything that speeds up gametime? I tend to queue up mega projects and stare at them forever as my idiots slowly bring 1 brick at a time like a Space Austrailia Johnny Cash knockoff. Walking away and coming back after 10 minutes means my automated poo poo got done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Reusable pods save you a shitload of steel and components, though. And doesn't that mod do away with pod launchers?