Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

How much different is the FFXII steam version compared to the international IZJS ps2 release? I played the ps2 version on a emulator like 5+ years ago and 100%d the game pretty much. Wondering if the steam version is worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

x4 speed option, everyone gets two classes, battle arena mode and some other minor changes I think.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
FFXIII should have a new game option that immediately dumps you into the Anima fight because everything leading up to that point is almost totally pointless since you don't even have a crystarium yet

gotta say though once you get past the first chapter suck the game takes off hard

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

FFXIII should have a new game option that immediately dumps you into the Anima fight because everything leading up to that point is almost totally pointless since you don't even have a crystarium yet

gotta say though once you get past the first chapter suck the game takes off hard

Assuming you can beat the warmech and not get stalled out by it like some people i know

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Assuming you can beat the warmech and not get stalled out by it like some people i know

Tutorial fight immediately beforehand: "Switching paradigms mid-battle to match the situation is the key to victory! For now, try using an offensive paradigm to quickly build the chain meter, then switch to a defensive paradigm to heal when your party takes damage"

Boss fight: poo poo what do i do???

I mean, yeah XIII doesn't do the best job at player training but still uhh lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

lol

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sapozhnik posted:

Tutorial fight immediately beforehand: "Switching paradigms mid-battle to match the situation is the key to victory! For now, try using an offensive paradigm to quickly build the chain meter, then switch to a defensive paradigm to heal when your party takes damage"

Boss fight: poo poo what do i do???

I mean, yeah XIII doesn't do the best job at player training but still uhh lol

My personal favorite situation is "The game never tells you that Saboteurs work like Commandos!"

Game: Okay so here's Sazh and Vanille, your options are Ravager/Ravager and Sab/Rav...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best part is it was 2 different people. I had to literally stream for one of them to show them how to beat the fight because somehow my explaining “when youre low on health or you see the named attack appear at the top of the screen, switch paradigms to defensive” didnt work.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At that point you link them to the 16bit YouTube summary.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Artix posted:

My personal favorite situation is "The game never tells you that Saboteurs work like Commandos!"

Game: Okay so here's Sazh and Vanille, your options are Ravager/Ravager and Sab/Rav...

It's also a huge pain in the rear end because SAB stops stabilizing the chain gauge as soon as you've saturated the enemy with debuffs (of which you have a grand total of two at this point) and also doesn't do any actual damage. So buffing/debuffing during trash fights is actively punished because it just makes the fight take longer.

So I can see why people might go "ok thank gently caress Sazh can be a COM now" and then completely forget that this setup exists; by the time you have a useful arsenal of debuffs at your disposal you've probably forgotten all about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Debuffs help tremendously even in random battles, especially when you just have Sazh and Vanille on those enemies that have a shell you blow off. You dont need to stick everything though; the usual patern I use is wait till the free atb refresh then go for stagger to just straigh blow them away rathee than maximize debuffs

The other enemy its super helpful with is any enemy weak to quad debuff like the psuedo cat creatures because you can open sab, tag them, then go straight to nuking one enemy down so they cant overwhelm you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

The best part is it was 2 different people. I had to literally stream for one of them to show them how to beat the fight because somehow my explaining “when youre low on health or you see the named attack appear at the top of the screen, switch paradigms to defensive” didnt work.

Have they played video games before?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Have they played video games before?

Both had played a shitload of prior final fantasys. The one I had to do a walkthrough for beat all the FFX international content without Yojimbo and did no sphere grid attempts at the game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
How is anyone that dumb?

Like I know certain parts of FF13 are legit hard but how can anyone not beat that fight?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

Both had played a shitload of prior final fantasys. The one I had to do a walkthrough for beat all the FFX international content without Yojimbo and did no sphere grid attempts at the game.

Well then. Yikes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Elephant Ambush posted:

How is anyone that dumb?

Like I know certain parts of FF13 are legit hard but how can anyone not beat that fight?

Listen right here.

People are loving stupid and can't follow simple instructions, or worse still, SKIP said simple instructions and then act as if they were never told. I once saw a playthrough of MGR where the person could not grasp parrying Monsoon's trash wheel, so they just kept running from side to side while complaining about how bullshit that part of the fight is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The DarkSydePhil school of playing video games.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

The DarkSydePhil school of playing video games.

SMDH

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

How is anyone that dumb?

People do not read instructions. There is a reason every game has mandatory tutorials now instead of dropping you into the game and expecting you to read the manual. The other is people dont really want to learn new things, so if theyve beaten 12 previous final fantasy with only mild variations on how battles flow that may not jive with what 13 wants from them.

The one I didnt need to do a walkthrough for was like “I die because it deals so much damage and theres no defend command” and it took like 15 minutes to explain Sentinel is the defend command.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some dramatic exaggerations in framing here, but hey, Eidos tried to pitch a final fantasy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl6mG3U4vaY

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
You have to pitch final fantasy 1 for a modern console to a western AAA company who has never heard of RPGs. How do you do it.

Assume it gets taken up. How does the game turn out?

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 28, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

People do not read instructions. There is a reason every game has mandatory tutorials now instead of dropping you into the game and expecting you to read the manual. The other is people dont really want to learn new things, so if theyve beaten 12 previous final fantasy with only mild variations on how battles flow that may not jive with what 13 wants from them.

The one I didnt need to do a walkthrough for was like “I die because it deals so much damage and theres no defend command” and it took like 15 minutes to explain Sentinel is the defend command.

I don't have many pet peeves but cutscene skippers are one of them. These are the people who mash through cutscenes and go get a sandwich while unskippable cutscenes play and then jump on these here forums and shitpost about how the story sucked and/or didn't grab them and they didn't like any of the characters (because they intentionally avoided learning anything about them other than their appearance and combat moves).

Those people should sell all their games and consoles and stop playing video games forever. They don't deserve to play them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

lobster22221 posted:

You have to pitch final fantasy 1 for a modern console to a western AAA company who has never heard of RPGs. How do you do it.

Have a five-year-old who’s been exposed to D&D spend ten minutes randomly bringing up whatever cool poo poo they can think of.

At least that seems to be the original design philosophy for FF1.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So if I want the "true" ending of World of Final Fantasy I have to beat every single intervention quest, correct? If so this game wins and I'm quitting here and just reading whatever the hell the plot was supposed to be because I'm in chapter 21 and fighting Supraltima weapon and just bored as hell.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't have many pet peeves but cutscene skippers are one of them. These are the people who mash through cutscenes and go get a sandwich while unskippable cutscenes play and then jump on these here forums and shitpost about how the story sucked and/or didn't grab them and they didn't like any of the characters (because they intentionally avoided learning anything about them other than their appearance and combat moves).

Those people should sell all their games and consoles and stop playing video games forever. They don't deserve to play them.

You can't stop me, I'll skip every gosh darn cutscene you let me until the day I day.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

You can't stop me, I'll skip every gosh darn cutscene you let me until the day I day.

I intentionally lose to Seymour everyday.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Barudak, I hate to be one of those people, I honestly do, but why even play the game when you very clearly don't like it and aren't into it? It's ok bud, you're with friends. None of us like WooF either. Help us help you help the thread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

Barudak, I hate to be one of those people, I honestly do, but why even play the game when you very clearly don't like it and aren't into it? It's ok bud, you're with friends. None of us like WooF either. Help us help you help the thread

When I really don't like a game I try to finish it purely so that when I complain I complain about everything.

I think I'm just giving up on this shitheap now.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
When you say "shitheap" do you refer to the game, this thread, Final Fantasy as a whole, your masters Square and - and Enix, or your video game addicted lifestyle that is driving you to ruination?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Barudak posted:

When I really don't like a game I try to finish it purely so that when I complain I complain about everything.

I think I'm just giving up on this shitheap now.

You didn't even finish the game and you're telling me it's bad?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

George posted:

You didn't even finish the game and you're telling me it's bad?

I'll edit these posts later to imply that I did.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
WoFF is the best Final Fantasy game released in recent years and I cannot wait for WoFF 2

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Honestly I think it's a fair criticism of writing to say that one skipped all the cutscenes. It clearly never grabbed ones attention and based on the writing outside of cutscenes, one then assumes the cutscenes will be worthless.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

WoFF is the best Final Fantasy game released in recent years and I cannot wait for WoFF 2

It's slow and easy and kinda..bland in terms of mechanics, nothing happens until 20 hours into the game and man does it have the annoying and the cliché characters that are the talking too much

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's slow and easy and kinda..bland in terms of mechanics, nothing happens until 20 hours into the game and man does it have the annoying and the cliché characters that are the talking too much

Enna Kros has grown bored of your critique, and will now enjoy some hot coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Il91vWq1s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

But enough about [your favourite Final Fantasy game]

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

we can argue about what qualifies as "bland" in mechanics but I don't find it simpler than most other FF games. I like switching out Mirages at will and finding new stack combinations (and the game's experience system makes that relatively easy to do), the story and writing has endless charm, and Tama's the-speech pattern didn't annoy me one bit.

plus it has things like this all over the place:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I'm in chapter 9 of FFXV, just about to get on the boat to Altissa, and I was wondering what DLC, if any, I can now play? I know Episode Ignis shouldn't be played until after the main game but what about the other three? And do you get any items from them that can be transferred over the main game?
Also is there a way to delete all your photos at once?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It is incredibly obvious when you should play Gladious and Prompto, trust me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So I'm in chapter 9 of FFXV, just about to get on the boat to Altissa, and I was wondering what DLC, if any, I can now play? I know Episode Ignis shouldn't be played until after the main game but what about the other three? And do you get any items from them that can be transferred over the main game?
Also is there a way to delete all your photos at once?

You could get away with playing the Gladio one, but that's it. It'd probably be better if you waited to do the other two campaigns until you've finished the game to be honest. Some items from completing challenges can carry over, but they're not that important. And you should hang on to your photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I have hung onto my photos. I'm playing it on the PC so I've backed them up and using a program called Prompty to convert them into jpegs. I just wanted to make room for new ones.