Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Weeping Wound posted:

this seems pretty rude op

not even half as rude as smash players act at fighting game tournaments they get invited to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

mango sentinel posted:

This makes no sense

My point being, Smash gets two slots at major main stages, taking real estate from other games. ST diehards and Melee diehard both refuse to move on for various reasons--both legitimate (SFV is crap, WiiU is Bayonetta) and super groggy. But ST players haven't parked their rear end on a Sunday slot, so fewer people give a poo poo what they do with their free time.

Like, EVO 2019's lineup is prolly gonna need to give a slot to SC6. Who gets the axe to make room? FighterZ? Netherrealm? BBTag? (Probably BBTag.) Certainly not the 17-year-old unsupported fossil running on decaying vintage hardware.

Because we all know that slot should've gone to McV:I'm just loving with you, rip in pieces you ugly piece of garbage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if melee wasnt in that slot probably would have gone to mvci, so, well, melee has done more legitimate good for this community than any of us

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

give it to squirrelgirls

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash on Switch will replace both Smashes at EVO 2019.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gutter Owl posted:

My point being, Smash gets two slots at major main stages, taking real estate from other games. ST diehards and Melee diehard both refuse to move on for various reasons--both legitimate (SFV is crap, WiiU is Bayonetta) and super groggy. But ST players haven't parked their rear end on a Sunday slot, so fewer people give a poo poo what they do with their free time.

Like, EVO 2019's lineup is prolly gonna need to give a slot to SC6. Who gets the axe to make room? FighterZ? Netherrealm? BBTag? (Probably BBTag.) Certainly not the 17-year-old unsupported fossil running on decaying vintage hardware.

Because we all know that slot should've gone to McV:I'm just loving with you, rip in pieces you ugly piece of garbage.

Super Turbo would get like 90 entrants and no one would watch.

Melee gets like 1500 entrants and over 100k twitch viewers.

The Melee community don't get a spot because they're stubborn and whiny, they get a spot because it's still hugely popular.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gutter Owl posted:

both legitimate (SFV is crap, WiiU is Bayonetta)

Bayonetta is good tho. It's not her fault every other character is poo poo.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Endorph posted:

if melee wasnt in that slot probably would have gone to mvci, so, well, melee has done more legitimate good for this community than any of us

thats not true i suggested spooky start streaming and wait esports is terrible everythings hosed oh no

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah melee people were upset that xrd went a few mins over at a major a few years ago

As if Melee never goes over time. :allears:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

does anyone actually still play VSav on PSN, or is it pure Fightcade these days? Cuz Darkstalkers Resurrection is $4.50 right now, and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gutter Owl posted:

does anyone actually still play VSav on PSN, or is it pure Fightcade these days? Cuz Darkstalkers Resurrection is $4.50 right now, and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

iirc it has training mode which makes it very worth it

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
afaik the entire vsav scene is located in norcal

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broken Loose posted:

(its not)

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Broken Loose posted:

Broken Loose confirmed to not know very much at all.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

interrodactyl posted:

Broken Loose confirmed to not know very much at all.
don't need brains when i'm this beautiful

seriously tho GO there's a vsav discord (google it) with most of the English-speaking community there, and they're usually super gung-ho about setting up matches no matter what platform

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Theres a European community for it that's pretty small bit active, but it would be unfair to expect Americans to know what happens in other countries tbh

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

darealkooky posted:

was it melee fans that acted like total clowns at events doing poo poo like complaining that they had to wait for "some boring game" before it could be melee time and generally being the equivalent of a sharing a plane seat with a really fat + gross guy? or was that smash 4 fans

Both are the worst groups of players/fans I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

The Melee community don't get a spot because they're stubborn and whiny, they get a spot because it's still hugely popular.

I don't think people would give cares as much if Melee players weren't stubborn and whiny, but they are

and they smell bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hot take but i think the crimes of smelling bad and jacking off in a guest bed are way less bad than like 80% of the poo poo that goes down in the eff-gee-cee

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

hot take but i think the crimes of smelling bad and jacking off in a guest bed are way less bad than like 80% of the poo poo that goes down in the eff-gee-cee

Smellyperv.txt

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Endorph posted:

the hell did i stumble into, i just wanted to hold downback, press A B C D and maybe 236236C

... this is one of those abyss situations isn't it

forget i asked

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Endorph posted:

im not saying one is worse than the other here, any community of people that organize themselves online is going to be trash in many different ways. the nature of organizing online means there is a social screening process that is less intense, where antisocial people can succeed.

with smash its not severity of crimes, its volume and crime rate

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zand posted:

im not saying one is worse than the other here, any community of people that organize themselves online is going to be trash in many different ways. the nature of organizing online means there is a social screening process that is less intense, where antisocial people can succeed.

with smash its not severity of crimes, its volume and crime rate

Yeah Quality of lovely people vs sheer quantity of lovely people.

Personally, I like the the reps of the FGC are actually going for record breaking acts of criminality or perhaps even super villainy compares to the low effort depravity of other ant-social video game based communities.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
thats called "being real"

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is the fighting game thread why are we talking about smash

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marn fired a woman from his lovely vietnamese net cafe when she wouldnt have sex with him after he convinced her to leave home in order to work for him, basically making him a literal attempted rapist, and everyone just kinda pretends that didnt happen

everyone who has ever accepted marn or interacted with him in a positive way or allowed him a space in the community is party to these crimes. he has talked openly about it and everyone just ignores it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress Marn

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

gently caress Marn

yes.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aris too. For harassing a girl on stream.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least aris got some kind of pushback even if it was short lived, marn just went on excellent adventures and said all this poo poo and everyone just laughed it off. like marn's obviously been called a scumbag before but like, dude still gets to just exist in the community and go on popular youtube shows and be interviewed by random game journos the two times a year they remember fighting games exist, despite everything.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you have a Switch when Smash comes out on it, you should give it a try. It has good movement, good walkspeed and good hitboxes. I guarantee it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We haven't seen any footage yet. What if smash goes 3D.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

In Training posted:

Worked fine for the 3DS version.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV0edD_Gsw8

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

This is the first time I've been actively competitive in a game that is getting some kind of new version so I'm nervous but optimistic.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

mango sentinel posted:

This is something people unfortunately always miss out on.

Melee is still VERY popular. It's a "Nintendo Classic" like Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64. Everybody who owned a Nintendo console used to have it, have fond memories of the game, and are interested in pulling out there old system and playing it from time to time. So to many the game is still highly relevant and thus it is still "mainstream". In contrast, while Street Fighter II was a phenomenon, its arcade roots, dozens of re-releases, and Capcom's complete fumbling of handling the series for the casual audience after Street Fighter II, with IV being the only exception, really helps explain why it isn't as relevant in the modern era to a mainstream audience.

Broken Loose posted:

There's a relatively healthy Vsav scene in both socal and Chicago.

Endorph posted:

marn fired a woman from his lovely vietnamese net cafe when she wouldnt have sex with him after he convinced her to leave home in order to work for him, basically making him a literal attempted rapist, and everyone just kinda pretends that didnt happen

everyone who has ever accepted marn or interacted with him in a positive way or allowed him a space in the community is party to these crimes. he has talked openly about it and everyone just ignores it.

I hear nothing but bad things about this guy.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 28, 2018

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I was gonna post the Marn shoutouts video but it looks like youtube nuked it. gently caress.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CRISPYBABY posted:

I was gonna post the Marn shoutouts video but it looks like youtube nuked it. gently caress.

sebmal took it down but i assure you everything in it is true except maybe the mob thing im vague on but multiple sources confirmed it. everything else i witnessed first hand.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's cool that it's six years old (i think?) and yet nothing changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

anime was right posted:

sebmal took it down but i assure you everything in it is true except maybe the mob thing im vague on but multiple sources confirmed it. everything else i witnessed first hand.

tried to google for it but found this instead