Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
The best grip is the vertical grip, because it goes on any weapon so you're not fiddling around trying to get your vert on your Vector and angled on your AR or whatever, just put a vert on both and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Scoss posted:

Am I the only one that is having a hard time understanding the actual differences and use cases for the now Five separate grip types in the game?

I couldn't even confidently explain to my friends which grip to use for which gun when we had only two. I am imagining a naive player picking up one of the new grips and stopping to closely scrutinize the small tooltip text, trying to parse the difference between "recoil" and "recoil recovery" while a firefight is happening around them, and it seems farcical.

I feel like they need to introduce some kind of graphical representation of the spray pattern on the grip itself to help players intuitively understand at a glance what the thing is actually doing. Frankly most attachments could probably do with better tooltips than the tinytext we currently have.

For the original two, the vertical grip reduces vertical recoil so it's best for single or burst fire because all you need to do is pull down in those modes and the angled grip reduces horizontal recoil so it's best for automatic fire. I'd have to take a longer look at the new grips to decide which situations are best for those.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hellsau posted:

The best grip is the vertical grip, because it goes on any weapon so you're not fiddling around trying to get your vert on your Vector and angled on your AR or whatever, just put a vert on both and move on.

This is terrible advice. The Vector is the only gun that can have a grip and can't take an angled. The reason the Vector can't take an angled is because it doesn't need one because there's virtually no horizontal recoil.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The Tommy Gun can’t take an angled grip either.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

cargohills posted:

The Tommy Gun can’t take an angled grip either.

You should never use a Tommy Gun because they're terrible. I'll take a shotgun over a Tommy Gun.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Vert grip or nothing, unless you really super plan on spraying and then maybe angled. It's better to just shoot people than overthink what grip you need.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm averse to penalties so my grip priority is:
  1. Angled
  2. Vert
I'm hearing that the thumb grip is baller for sniping, though?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You gotta ask yourself how many times you've run across town to switch your grip and died because of it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I don't want a grip I can use wrong.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Scoss posted:

Am I the only one that is having a hard time understanding the actual differences and use cases for the now Five separate grip types in the game?

I couldn't even confidently explain to my friends which grip to use for which gun when we had only two. I am imagining a naive player picking up one of the new grips and stopping to closely scrutinize the small tooltip text, trying to parse the difference between "recoil" and "recoil recovery" while a firefight is happening around them, and it seems farcical.

I feel like they need to introduce some kind of graphical representation of the spray pattern on the grip itself to help players intuitively understand at a glance what the thing is actually doing. Frankly most attachments could probably do with better tooltips than the tinytext we currently have.

If you want to limit the over-use of ARs, why stop them entirely from using the 8x but then add the much more versatile 6x? Seems like a very strange choice.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Regrettable posted:

You should never use a Tommy Gun because they're terrible. I'll take a shotgun over a Tommy Gun.

lol if you're not destroying people with a 50-round tommy out of a car like a Prohibition-era gangster

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've seen a 15x scope once ever and it was in the war game mode with crates everywhere. Make some binoculars that take up pistol slot and drop anywhere pls tia.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I got a 15x scope and a Groza in a crate that landed 300 yards from my drop spot last night. Felt awesome.

15 seconds after looting the crate I got run over by a guy on a motorcycle

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the first 15x i found was in a crate with a machine gun

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Good soup! posted:

lol if you're not destroying people with a 50-round tommy out of a car like a Prohibition-era gangster

Carry two of them so you don't even need to reload and can spray 100 rounds to ensure you destroy the enemy vehicle you're chasing :D

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Found a grip comparison video.

Moneyshot:

Light's scaled to 0.75 of actual because he wanted to fit

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Found a grip comparison video.

Moneyshot:

Light's scaled to 0.75 of actual because he wanted to fit

lol two sprays per grip is not even close to enough tests, but uh lol light grip

e: wackyjacky has a 5 spray test up, but I'll look forward to whenever he has access to custom servers to do a more thorough test.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 29, 2018

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Light grip has good recoil recovery apparently so it's probably meant for single-shot DMRs.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

VulgarandStupid posted:

It probably gives you one when you get your parachute or something like that, so dropping your belt in lobby doesn't screw you over anymore.

Nope, I just tried dropping it in lobby and I didn't get a new one.

What's more, every player in the lobby was wearing one, yet the ground is littered with them.
Looks to me like either it's spawning each player and a utility belt on the same spot, or (which I find more likely), each player somehow spawns with two utility belts in the inventory, and the client detects this and forces the extra one to be dropped. Looks like a bug to me.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 29, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you want to limit the over-use of ARs, why stop them entirely from using the 8x but then add the much more versatile 6x? Seems like a very strange choice.

bluehole.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

I think it's a desire for ARs to not be used as snipers. In a long range battle between a sniper and AR both with an 8x, the AR might have the advantage of rapid fire. The same battle, but the AR can't have any better than a 6x, makes that fight more interesting.

They still want ARs to be really good, just not also the best sniping choice.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

edit: I have no idea what I’m talking about.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 29, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

NZAmoeba posted:

I think it's a desire for ARs to not be used as snipers. In a long range battle between a sniper and AR both with an 8x, the AR might have the advantage of rapid fire. The same battle, but the AR can't have any better than a 6x, makes that fight more interesting.

They still want ARs to be really good, just not also the best sniping choice.

I think the way to have handled this would have been to tweak the muzzle velocities and drop off rather than this. Like yeah sure you can still slap an 8x on an m4 but good luck with reliably landing shots past 120 yards.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nobody likes taking shots that seem like they would hit, but don't because of some contrived bullet drop / muzzle velocity wizardry. that poo poo isn't fun

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Honestly the best buff to snipers was removing the level 3 helmet from normal drops. Suddenly the Kar98 is super relevant.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

They could probably touch on one of two things to make snipers better. Improve their velocity, velocity drop off or trajectory to better match their real life counter points. Or introduce a little inaccuracy to ARs and DMRs and only leave bolt actions as pixel perfect.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Ever have one of those nights?

My KDR weeps.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

OxySnake posted:

Ever have one of those nights?

My KDR weeps.

Yes, but I didn't even get the damage and DBNOs because of server desync.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
So:

thumb for spray

light for tap

Is that the takeaway here?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Athanatos posted:

So:

thumb for spray

light for tap

Is that the takeaway here?

Theoretically light for tap, but in reality the recoil penalty is so huge that you're probably better off without it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Carry two of them so you don't even need to reload and can spray 100 rounds to ensure you destroy the enemy vehicle you're chasing :D

lmao that sounds incredible

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
The players on the test servers seem leaps and bounds better than anything on the live servers. I am constantly losing fights that seemed atleast winnable on the live servers and watching death cams everyone is just crushing headshots left and right. Has anyone else noticed an increased difficulty or does it feel the same?

With that said the gun changes feel pretty good for the most part. SMGs feel viable compared to ARs now for close range, the UMP is basically a laser.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 29, 2018

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I really don't get why they wanted to expand on the grips. The spray video I watched showed that half grip is basically superior for everything except for single tap which angled still is superior over just for the ADS bonus. Granted, I doubt most grips will matter if you're just burst firing manually (which you probably should)

Like, I have no idea how they'd even balance a bazillion grips now in a meaningful way. Whoever came up with that idea was real stupid.

Dangerllama posted:

I got a 15x scope and a Groza in a crate that landed 300 yards from my drop spot last night. Felt awesome.

15 seconds after looting the crate I got run over by a guy on a motorcycle

Genuinely laughed. Crates are cosmic magnets for misfortune.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

B-Mac posted:

The players on the test servers seem leaps and bounds better than anything on the live servers. I am constantly losing fights that seemed atleast winnable on the live servers and watching death cams everyone is just crushing headshots left and right. Has anyone else noticed an increased difficulty or does it feel the same?

With that said the gun changes feel pretty good for the most part. SMGs feel viable compared to ARs now for close range, the UMP is basically a laser.

The people on the test server are the ones that care about the game enough to actually download the test client and like playing it enough that they'll play it a bunch with no additional rewards

you can imagine that leads to a better group than standard

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Why even have snipers, they don’t add much to the game aside from encouraging you to camp

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Why even have snipers, they don’t add much to the game aside from encouraging you to camp

0.01% of the time it should replace literally every drop in the game with nothing but pans.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I would play that game mode

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

Xenaero posted:

I really don't get why they wanted to expand on the grips. The spray video I watched showed that half grip is basically superior for everything except for single tap which angled still is superior over just for the ADS bonus. Granted, I doubt most grips will matter if you're just burst firing manually (which you probably should)

Like, I have no idea how they'd even balance a bazillion grips now in a meaningful way. Whoever came up with that idea was real stupid.

Genuinely laughed. Crates are cosmic magnets for misfortune.

My theory is that they're a partial replacement for the clothing drops being removed. Probably just Bluehole being Bluehole though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Haha. I just downloaded PUBG mobile, because why not, and won a chicken dinner on my first game.

I’ve yet to win a chicken dinner on PC :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
someone mentioned that for the mobile version they put you with bots your first few games or something