Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

tehinternet posted:

Neckbeard’s Razor

E:dilemma is what I mean but razor sounded better okay

And much like razors to neckbeards, completely useless 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bitcoiners paradox

gently caress the govt, except when i need help

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Bitcoiner and selfish rear end in a top hat does have a single circle venn diagram.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

And much like razors to neckbeards, completely useless 🤔

Thank you for doing what needed done

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently mining Monero on my GPU is worth more than mining anything else at the moment. What the heck is going on with Monero right now? Is this because of the change to their PoW algo or something?

Between a 1700x, a 1950x and a GTX 1080 I've been hitting $10CAD/Day for the last few days.

Better? :)
\/ \/ \/ \/

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 23, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Shhh dont ask questions

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Probably that fork they’re planning, where money will magically duplicate

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

What client for gpu mining in Linux?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tonic posted:

What are you mining?

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

tonic posted:

If your have a Pascal GPU and willing to run your box 24/7 you should consider renting out your processing power for cloud computing.

https://vectordash.com/hosting/

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Alzion posted:

If your have a Pascal GPU and willing to run your box 24/7 you should consider renting out your processing power for cloud computing.

I’m definitely checking into this. More money and for an actual reason? Sign me up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The only concern I have so far is it sounds like they want you to dedicate your GPU to task for a while, so great for people with dedicated rigs, maybe not great for people who had been mining with spare cycles on their gaming rig.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Alzion posted:

That looks far more interesting, though boo to paying out in crypto.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I signed up for that though its a little strange and start-upy. I'll see what happens. I can put a 1070, 1080, and 1080ti towards it if theyre willing but one 1080ti will just have to continue mining I guess since its my regular computer as well. Its using Google Docs for its web forms lol

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

That looks far more interesting, though boo to paying out in crypto.

It shouldn't be an issue unless you let it be, though. They can pay out straight to Coinbase, which lets you flip it to USD real easy. It does mean that you'd have to bother to go through the few clicks whenever you get paid, though, if you don't want the risk of holding crypto for any amount of time.

Still, in that a 1080Ti right now is paying out $2.50 or so mining poo poo normally, >$7 is probably worth dealing with a little hassle.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Alzion posted:

I filled out that form the first time you posted that but never got an answer 🤷🏻‍♂️

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I filled out that form the first time you posted that but never got an answer 🤷🏻‍♂️

After clicking around I'm pretty sure this is a one man operation. You can even see his picture if you click on the chat button with something like "unavailable, on reddit" lol

The concept is very solid though I hope it takes off

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So this is a thing now again.

Guac burrito guy might be able to get in on some double meat too :shobon:

:laffo: at my GTX1080 doing 844 h/s sustained right now. Took a bit of tweaking but running it +900MHz on the mem and +150 on core but still only drawing ~95W

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

:laffo: at my GTX1080 doing 844 h/s sustained right now. Took a bit of tweaking but running it +900MHz on the mem and +150 on core but still only drawing ~95W

So it IS because of the Monero fork then? Better enjoy it, probably won’t last

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Pretty sure there are private ASICs for most of the major coins at this point, hence why profits have been driven so low. People on Reddit (and in the crypto community in general) are in deep denial about it though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

After clicking around I'm pretty sure this is a one man operation. You can even see his picture if you click on the chat button with something like "unavailable, on reddit" lol

The concept is very solid though I hope it takes off

That's what I found when I was doing research as well. The project is 1 grad student doing it in his spare time who really just wanted cheaper access to GPUs for his deep learning research. Based on a handful of reddit posts I don't think he has actually started connecting hosts to guests yet but it'll be great if he can get off the ground.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

What program are you using to mine?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is that in P2 or P0 mode? +900MHz on memory in P0 is very good. If it's P2 that's really like +400MHz on memory which is average.

That looks like Mining Pool Hub.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HamHawkes posted:

What program are you using to mine?

XMRIG and XMRIG-Nvidia mining through miningpoolhub.

craig588 posted:

Is that in P2 or P0 mode? +900MHz on memory in P0 is very good. If it's P2 that's really like +400MHz on memory which is average.

That looks like Mining Pool Hub.

Pretty sure it's P2. Trying to keep power draw at min (65% power setting in Afterburner).

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

What does a 1080ti make daily in April?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
About $2.50 pre electricity give or take.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Not enough to make it worthwhile for most people.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
small taco, beans & rice only

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

$2 gets you four tacos at jack in the box

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

$2 gets you four tacos at jack in the box

brb starting up my rigs, gonna be swimming in tacos

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

QuarkJets posted:

$2 gets you four tacos and hepatitis at jack in the box

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

free hepatitis

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I'm vaccinated. So bring on the tacos!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Well, I'm vaccinated. So bring on the tacos!

Please post your trip report about Hepatitis Q

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

B-Mac posted:

About $2.50 pre electricity give or take.

Is that number for real? I don't know two shits about mining, why do people do this??

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
No one* is mining anymore. It used to be nearly 10 dollars a day.

*Weirdos are still mining

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Slider posted:

Is that number for real? I don't know two shits about mining, why do people do this??

It is for real. As has been pointed out, that's why no one's doing it anymore and this thread has moved on to bored speculation about other things.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Slider posted:

Listen

You *might* be mining 98 cents per day at TODAY’s prices, but you’re earning 50,000 dollars an hour IN THE FUTURE when bitcoin takes over banks

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Slider posted:

It was well in the dollar range two weeks ago. Its been "bad" since February, $2.50 is considered the floor for a lot of people to start mining again tbh (due to power mostly), I bet a lot of home mining started back up in the last two weeks.

But yeah in late December and a lot of January you could make $400 a month on just a 1080ti. I bought a motorcycle (this is like a hundred burritos) off of January lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

It was well in the dollar range two weeks ago. Its been "bad" since February, $2.50 is considered the floor for a lot of people to start mining again tbh (due to power mostly), I bet a lot of home mining started back up in the last two weeks.

But yeah in late December and a lot of January you could make $400 a month on just a 1080ti. I bought a motorcycle (this is like a hundred burritos) off of January lol

ITT post cool poo poo you bought with bitcoin.

I built an all AMD system for games using money my 1080ti mined for me. ryzen 1600 and rx 580 bought before the prices went to the moon.

I also got a pretty nice motorcycle helmet and a lot of other motorcycle gear. It was really nice having an account with money I could spend frivolously on myself without concern. I left the rest as bitcoin where it has appreciated considerably.

• Locked thread