Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Sandblast all the offensive things out of history, I guess.

I came here to laugh at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

It all began when they started removing the slave harems from web novel translations. Within a few years, all media was reviewed by the government censors.

First they came for the Google translations, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a fan of Google translations.
Then they came for the slave harems, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a fan of slave harems
Then they came for the egregious nationalism, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a fan of egregious nationalism.
Then they came for me
and there were no fans left to speak for me.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 21, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
When I was back in undergrad, the Victorian tendency to omit references to the unspeakable vice of the Greeks from their translations was considered a bad thing and a sign weakness in their beliefs. It's a bit weird to see that sort of behavior come roaring back as a sign of wokeness.

Chinese nationalism has been around in some form for millenia. If you can't bear to even mention it in their own works, you're not really engaging with the other culture.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man the weird lengths people will go to to keep their lovely web novels pure is insane.

I mean I know it’s all bullshit but drat.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
It's annoying how much chinese web stuff has exploded in the last few months or year or whatever, looking at novelupdates is just a huge unending spam from like the same 3 sites that translate a million sub 1k word chapters a day... is there any way to filter that out? Filter by site or something?

e: oops I didn't really read the last page but

Paracelsus posted:

When I was back in undergrad, the Victorian tendency to omit references to the unspeakable vice of the Greeks from their translations was considered a bad thing and a sign weakness in their beliefs. It's a bit weird to see that sort of behavior come roaring back as a sign of wokeness.

Chinese nationalism has been around in some form for millenia. If you can't bear to even mention it in their own works, you're not really engaging with the other culture.

lol@ the idea that reading crappy translations of crappy webnovels is "engaging with another culture". lol@ the rest of the stuff you posted too

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 21, 2018

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Paracelsus posted:

The actual issue with the victorians is that they were presenting their “edited” things as the legitimate history or record while also burning/destroying/or hiding the things that they did not like.

A web novel is not trying to be an academic or official, citable, source. Even if was, the editor pointed out their edits, making it known it wasn’t the original authors text in that one section.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 21, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Personally I'd prefer not changing much more than necessary because sometimes poo poo gets missed or it becomes important, etc.

There's always going to be stuff that changes when poo poo gets translated.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

It's a bit pathetic, yeah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Megazver posted:

It's a bit pathetic, yeah.

Don’t be to hard on the guy jeez everyone makes a lovely dumb post.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

sunken fleet posted:

It's annoying how much chinese web stuff has exploded in the last few months or year or whatever, looking at novelupdates is just a huge unending spam from like the same 3 sites that translate a million sub 1k word chapters a day... is there any way to filter that out? Filter by site or something?
Assuming you have an account you can go to Release Filtering and exclude stuff in a bunch of different ways, including groups.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Don’t be to hard on the guy jeez everyone makes a lovely dumb post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7kUc5RcMqc

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I agree he shouldn’t try so hard it makes him look bad.

Trying to tie Victorian ways to lovely web novels just makes you look bad and not very bright.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I agree he shouldn’t try so hard it makes him look bad.

Trying to tie Victorian ways to lovely web novels just makes you look bad and not very bright.

It's you isn't, you are the translator.

It's the only thing that isn't mental illness that explains why you care so much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mulva posted:

It's you isn't, you are the translator.

It's the only thing that isn't mental illness that explains why you care so much.

This desperation is getting sad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

This desperation is getting sad

Yyyyyyyyyyyyeah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Megazver posted:

Yyyyyyyyyyyyeah.

It was funny at first but jeez I didn’t think taking a rather unimportant part of a story out could make people so mad.

Like jeez people take a breath. Instead we have censorship and accusing people of mental illness. Lighten up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
No.

Make me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mulva posted:

No.

Make me.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
And yours means you've gone 7 years not being interesting enough to piss someone off.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

Assuming you have an account you can go to Release Filtering and exclude stuff in a bunch of different ways, including groups.

Oh I didn't even see that option, makes it so much more bearable. I literally removed two groups and 90% of the frontpage disappeared.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Whew! Some folks here getting all demanding with their translations, now they casting stones

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I totally am fine with some of the china #1 japan is subhuman scum and korea needs to be taken over by china taken out or lessened in translations. I also laugh about people joking about censorship when china has changed online rules before and the authors have all gone and censored their stuff or else the censors would have it taken down.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Personally I'd be okay with lessening that sort of toxic nationalism but outright removing it feels like going down a slippery slope of removing things you don't like and where do you stop with that?

Then again I just tend not to read stories with that poo poo. It's sometimes unavoidable since the story may otherwise be decent but we know what we were going into with WNs.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Despite being an enormous proponent of heavy localization, I think chopping stuff out of a story that you don’t like is disrespectful to the author and your readers. It’s not a translator’s job to be an editor, it’s their job to provide a lens through which the reader can perceive the original work as clearly as possible.

If you find yourself translating a series that goes straight off the deep end into ultranationalist screeds or really uncomfortable fetish scenes, you can, uh, stop translating it. Or if you somehow absolutely must continue, put a big “oh god i’m so sorry i forgot this was here i don’t actually hate koreans” translator’s note at the bottom and keep plowing ahead.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

blastron posted:

If you find yourself translating a series that goes straight off the deep end into ultranationalist screeds or really uncomfortable fetish scenes, you can, uh, stop translating it.
He did!

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

blastron posted:

It’s not a translator’s job to be an editor, it’s their job to provide a lens through which the reader can perceive the original work as clearly as possible.

Sounds reasonable. I said a dumb thing earlier. But the point I think stands is that the translator shouldn't have to wrestle with translating bad elements and readers shouldn't have to read bad stuff, in either case.

it's just that I'm willing to see the author's intent take some collateral damage from that, i'm aware this makes me an rear end in a top hat

booksnake fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 24, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
readers can choose what to read, you know. even weird dudes with incredibly low standards in reading material like myself.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Translation has started on the new Overlord novel if anyone is still following that.

Also there's this hilarious misunderstand comedy called To be a power in the shadows that I found the other day. It's really funny, with the same sort of humor as Tiliea's Worries if you're familiar with that one - and it's been updating daily recently. It's the story of a boy who dreams of becoming more powerful than a Taepodong (which is a North Korean ICBM) and I highly recommend it, been checking it daily for a week now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've started been reading valhalla saga lately, and it is completely and utterly ridiculous. except, i don't think the author realizes it is ridiculous? it's about a korean e-sports champ who suddenly drops dead as they are known to do, but his e-sports fame caused a mix up and he was taken to asgard to be an einherjar. and his uh, e-sports fame is the source of his power as a warrior of the norse gods. then he starts vacuuming up all sorts of junk from european mythology, including becoming the new king of camelot (???), despite camelot already having already been destroyed (??????). now he has scathach, merlin, and the ghost of cu chulainn hanging out at his crib.

all this incredibly silly business is played completely straight.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i've started been reading valhalla saga lately, and it is completely and utterly ridiculous. except, i don't think the author realizes it is ridiculous? it's about a korean e-sports champ who suddenly drops dead as they are known to do, but his e-sports fame caused a mix up and he was taken to asgard to be an einherjar. and his uh, e-sports fame is the source of his power as a warrior of the norse gods. then he starts vacuuming up all sorts of junk from european mythology, including becoming the new king of camelot (???), despite camelot already having already been destroyed (??????). now he has scathach, merlin, and the ghost of cu chulainn hanging out at his crib.

all this incredibly silly business is played completely straight.

Sounds like someone is dreaming of being the next Kinoko Nasu.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just spent the last few days reading through Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho. It's good! It reminds me of a kinda more serious and extreme Ascendance of a Bookworm, especially the later parts.

They have the same basic worldbuilding premise: a class of wizard nobles ruling over an uneducated muggle populace, who are faced with the problem of dwindling numbers of wizards. The difference is that Rirekisho cuts all the book parts and replaces it with an emphasis on class struggle.

I'll also give Rirekisho some extra points for actually having a very positive representation of a trans character, when most WNs use them as uncomfortable, unfunny jokes.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Been reading through It's Not Easy To Be A Man After Traveling to the Future. MC is a bit OP with the Little 4 Training Tech, but not OP relative to the setting. Despite all the tropes, it's a fairly fun read to see a xianxia/mecha mix.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

sunken fleet posted:

Also there's this hilarious misunderstand comedy called To be a power in the shadows that I found the other day. It's really funny, with the same sort of humor as Tiliea's Worries if you're familiar with that one - and it's been updating daily recently. It's the story of a boy who dreams of becoming more powerful than a Taepodong (which is a North Korean ICBM) and I highly recommend it, been checking it daily for a week now.

This is cute. Not fancy, but cute.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad someone mentioned Death Mage in this thread because I'm really enjoying it. Yeah it's got a bunch of cliche Japanese isekai elements (I just start skipping pages whenever it indulges in Japanese food idolatry) but it's a million times better written and more interesting than any other one I've ever seen. Actually having a good translation helps too.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Bakanogami posted:

Just spent the last few days reading through Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho. It's good! It reminds me of a kinda more serious and extreme Ascendance of a Bookworm, especially the later parts.

They have the same basic worldbuilding premise: a class of wizard nobles ruling over an uneducated muggle populace, who are faced with the problem of dwindling numbers of wizards. The difference is that Rirekisho cuts all the book parts and replaces it with an emphasis on class struggle.

I'll also give Rirekisho some extra points for actually having a very positive representation of a trans character, when most WNs use them as uncomfortable, unfunny jokes.

Is there still someone translating this? I was reading it a while ago but stopped when the translation stalled

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is there still someone translating this? I was reading it a while ago but stopped when the translation stalled

Looks like the translation's stalled, alright. It's too bad, I caught up on the raw and I think it gets even better later on.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Anyone else reading Gal Tensei - Isekai Seikatsu Maji Darui , it's very good.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Katreus posted:

Been reading through It's Not Easy To Be A Man After Traveling to the Future. MC is a bit OP with the Little 4 Training Tech, but not OP relative to the setting. Despite all the tropes, it's a fairly fun read to see a xianxia/mecha mix.

It was definitely fun to see this kind of hybrid story but the main problem that I have with the writing is the hyper-nationalism where the main villains are pre-WW2 Japanese Empire down to complete farcical cut-outs who can only say variations of Baka and laugh maniacally. Honestly, it would be less stupid if they sported mustaches and twirled them in their cockpits.

Moreover, the sheer irony of the author taking mecha, which are basically Japanese in origin, but then also sporting the uber anti-Japanese nationalism which colors a lot of typical Chinese webnovels is just dumb. This is what it makes any further reading of the series unlikely for me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Furious Lobster posted:

say variations of Baka and laugh maniacally

are you saying this is not an accurate representation of the Japanese culture

https://kotaku.com/a-five-year-collection-of-anime-women-going-ohoho-1824158176

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Furious Lobster posted:

Honestly, it would be less stupid if they sported mustaches and twirled them in their cockpits.

Should have big steel wire moustaches on the mechs imo. With special motors for twirling.