Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Capaldi's theme is my absolute favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YDYbOaLioU&index=133&list=FLf0YxgcfQ5gMc7sX3cwXKyA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah mine too.

Very Hans Zimmer-like

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That theme kicking in during Mummy on the Orient Express as the Doctor reveals to Clara he absolutely IS the Doctor.... :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqNDkSqL4TA

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Twelve very much followed the same personality arc as six (plus big finish) and I will always regret that he never travelled with a talking penguin. :smith:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/dwpageofficial/status/990562883657400320

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That was awfully nice of Peter to let someone else wear his coat and drive!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It occurs to me (and feels familiar enough that I suspect it's not an original observation) that Earthshock and Resurrection of the Daleks would both work better with the antagonists swapped; the sadistic Cybermen of Earthshock feel a lot more like Daleks, and the Daleks' motivations in Resurrection aren't all that far removed from WE MUST SURVIVE.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I will never get tired of watching Peter Capaldi enjoy Doctor Who stuff.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

docbeard posted:

It occurs to me (and feels familiar enough that I suspect it's not an original observation) that Earthshock and Resurrection of the Daleks would both work better with the antagonists swapped; the sadistic Cybermen of Earthshock feel a lot more like Daleks, and the Daleks' motivations in Resurrection aren't all that far removed from WE MUST SURVIVE.

To fulfill my role as Davison Apologist, one thing I like about "Resurrection" is that it subtly addresses the "whoops, forgot the Daleks aren't robots" stuff in Destiny. By learning the biological origins of the Daleks, the Movellans were able to break the stalemate in a way that couldn't be equivalently countered. (The idea of a computer virus being virtually unknown - the term itself was coined the year the episode aired.)

Eric, I'll expect my check in six to eight weeks.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So I finally picked up Who On Earth is Tom Baker, and... it's not too bad. It's well written, with quite a bit of detail, so if you ever wondered what growing up poor in London in the 50's and 60's was like, you'll love this. Fortunately for our sanity, after the Rosie Ball episode, Baker puts his 'prick' back in his pants and keeps it there the rest of the book.

Nevertheless, as a behind-the-scenes look at Doctor Who, it's a disappointment. At best one-fourth of the book covers his '74-'81 run on the show, and that's being generous. In addition, his choices of what to cover and what to omit were a bit... odd. In particular; Lalla Ward, whom he starred with for 1.5 years and later married, got maybe five sentences. Some of the trivia is interesting; for example, Liz Sladen was almost killed during the shooting of Revenge of the Cybermen. Still, I wouldn't really recommend Who On Earth is Tom Baker unless you simply must read every last bit of Doctor Who information ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I haven't been able to stop grinning since I saw this :allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gynovore posted:

So I finally picked up Who On Earth is Tom Baker, and... it's not too bad. It's well written, with quite a bit of detail, so if you ever wondered what growing up poor in London in the 50's and 60's was like, you'll love this. Fortunately for our sanity, after the Rosie Ball episode, Baker puts his 'prick' back in his pants and keeps it there the rest of the book.

Nevertheless, as a behind-the-scenes look at Doctor Who, it's a disappointment. At best one-fourth of the book covers his '74-'81 run on the show, and that's being generous. In addition, his choices of what to cover and what to omit were a bit... odd. In particular; Lalla Ward, whom he starred with for 1.5 years and later married, got maybe five sentences. Some of the trivia is interesting; for example, Liz Sladen was almost killed during the shooting of Revenge of the Cybermen. Still, I wouldn't really recommend Who On Earth is Tom Baker unless you simply must read every last bit of Doctor Who information ever.

To be fair, it's about him, more than it is Doctor Who - it's a big factor in his life certainly - the biggest in terms of what he's going to be remembered as, and what's he's done professionally - but in terms of what he wants to talk about in regards to his life, there's other things outside the TARDIS.

I'm guessing him glossing over his marriage with Lalla Ward is more diplomatic than anything; Ward has said variously that they drifted apart, or that it was irreconcilable differences. I know he's mellowed somewhat over the years, according to the various actors who've worked with him since.

Davison's book wasn't too disimilar - some trivia, but mostly glossed over Doctor Who, because all the juicy behind the scenes info is in another book somewhere, and for the actors, it's just one of many jobs - one we care about, yeah, but still just a part of the bigger narrative of their lives, when they write autobiographies.

Davison had one kinda funny trivia moment IIRC, discussing where he had to fist a cow - as part of his role as a vet on All Creatures Great and Small - no latex gloves allowed as it was a period piece.

:allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 30, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It took me a bit to get on board with this after falling completely in love with I Am The Doctor, but I love it too. I'm more disappointed about Murray gold departing than taking on a supposedly bad showrunner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LividLiquid posted:

It took me a bit to get on board with this after falling completely in love with I Am The Doctor, but I love it too. I'm more disappointed about Murray gold departing than taking on a supposedly bad showrunner.

I think it took me about three episodes before it hit me super hard just how epic it was. I just love this piece of music.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pesky Splinter posted:

To be fair, it's about him, more than it is Doctor Who - it's a big factor in his life certainly - the biggest in terms of what he's going to be remembered as, and what's he's done professionally - but in terms of what he wants to talk about in regards to his life, there's other things outside the TARDIS.

I suppose there are few people who enjoyed hearing about his love for the smell of floor wax and his tendency to become suddenly nauseous, but 99.9% of the people who bought the book wanted behind-the-scenes trivia and nothing more.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm guessing him glossing over his marriage with Lalla Ward is more diplomatic than anything; Ward has said variously that they drifted apart, or that it was irreconcilable differences. I know he's mellowed somewhat over the years, according to the various actors who've worked with him since.

I can't say for certain, but I heard that the main reason he split from Lalla was because of his fondness for what the British call "pub crawls"; that is, getting together with friends and drinking at one bar after another until one is completely obliterated.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

a supposedly bad showrunner.

Just to defend Chibnal, since I've said some bad things about him in the past: by all accounts he is an EXCELLENT showrunner, it's just that his individual writing on Who tended to be "okay" at best. But he's organized a writer's room for his run on Who which will probably help patch over any holes in his individual writing. Plus he demonstrated with season 1 of Broadchurch that when given time to prep something in advance, he can really deliver the goods writing wise - season 2 I'm positive was a result of ITV looking at the ratings and going,"Narrative closure be damned, make another season! :stare:"

That said, maybe I'm just hoping the guy who wrote the Silurian 2-parter and Cyber-Woman is going to be better than his past writing has demonstrated! At least he won't have to try and ape the writing styles of RTD or Moffat anymore.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hopefully that doesn’t mean years between seasons as he tries to get everything right.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be fair, I think Moffat demonstrated that the ability to write excellent standalone stories doesn't necessarily translate in the ability to write good arcs or handle a show well behind the scenes.

In my view, the jury's still out on Chibnall, even though, yes, his writing output on individual episodes of Who and its spin-offs ranges from decent to WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In my view, the jury's still out on Chibnall, even though, yes, his writing output on individual episodes of Who and its spin-offs ranges from decent to WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!

If you think of Cyberwoman as a comedy -- and I think it's meant to be a little bit funny, if not the completely desirable lump of tack it ended up being -- then it's actually kind of fun.

Though Cyberwoman was actually formulated by RTD, and Chibnall ended up writing it in order to take the pressure off Davies.

Chris Chibnall posted:

I had more involvement in the second season. I was there throughout but Russell had created the show and he knew where he wanted to go in the first season, and so in choosing the stories he would be saying, “That’s where we want to go,” and, “Let’s bring Suzie back in Episode Eight.” He was very much doing all that kind of stuff. I mean I ended up writing a lot of them just because, and I did a bit of polishing here and there, although I did a lot more in the second season. It was as much that I was there to write to take the pressure off him; some of those story ideas were his, Cyberwoman was his idea...

And, honestly, we could do a lot worse that Torchwood Season 2, which is both a consistently solid series, and a series in which its three best scripts -- Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Adrift and Fragments -- are Chibnall's.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 30, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, Broadchurch notwithstanding (Broadchurch season 1 is really good), Chibnall doesn't inspire a lot of confidence with regard to the writing, but in terms of the actual showrunning aspects, he seems fine. Everyone who's worked with him seems eager to work with him again and the BBC didn't balk at committing to a long plan for the show, which is already encouraging.

I think in terms of the writing, his challenge (even with a writer's room) will be to capture the good parts of the whimsy of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship with the character development of Broadchurch, but without miring the show in Broadchurch's gloominess or Torchwood's forced sentiment. I think his best Doctor Who episode is probably 42.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't think much of Broadchurch really, but it did have quite strong theming and I liked the use of repeated phrases as call backs("how could you not have known" or whatever) which are both things I came to expect from Doctor Who during the Moffat years, so I suppose that's as promising a start as any

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

And, honestly, we could do a lot worse that Torchwood Season 2, which is both a consistently solid series, and a series in which its three best scripts -- Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Adrift and Fragments -- are Chibnall's.

Eh, even the best stuff of season 2 is, at best, broody and over-obsessed with Owen. It's got all the bizarre messiness of the Davies Who era, but none of the winking, self-aware fun. The best case that can be made for Torchwood, which is admittedly a decent one, is season 3, but unfortunately, Chibnall had nothing to do with it. It's still strange to me that he didn't, because I think there are some similarities between Broadchurch's first season and Children of Earth. I can't make heads or tails of his writing, really. Both Davies and Moffat had definite styles and you could tell what was good and what was bad about them; Chibnall seems very, very different all around from work to work.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I don't know much about how tv-shows are written, but i'm wondering if a writing room won't homogenize the episodes?
One of the reasons i like Who is because you don't really know what you'll get. Will it ba a Zontaran Invasion or a Heaven Sent?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I think it took me about three episodes before it hit me super hard just how epic it was. I just love this piece of music.

It's got a very Two Steps from Hell vibe to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP1QHVNHMAE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Ooooh! That was in the Star Trek 09 trailer!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

Huh, that’s very Deus Ex: Human Revolution sounding. I like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Speaking of music, I bought the long delayed series 9 soundtrack. Short as it is, Clara's Diner is just beautiful. I've probably listened to it 100 times now.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

I don't know much about how tv-shows are written, but i'm wondering if a writing room won't homogenize the episodes?
One of the reasons i like Who is because you don't really know what you'll get. Will it ba a Zontaran Invasion or a Heaven Sent?

This is my fear as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yep, it is a definite concern but I'm hoping it'll just allow a more communal approach where one writer takes the lead on a given script but takes onboard feedback and support from the other writers to buttress the weaker parts, and provide the season with a unifying sense without losing individual episode identity.

Only time will tell!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Attitude Indicator posted:

Maybe it means the next two or three-parter written by multiple people will show signs of actual coordination between story parts?

Really, I don't think Doctor Who is likely to ever be as homogenized as it was during the UNIT era or the Troughton "base under siege" era.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Gynovore posted:

what the British call "pub crawls"; that is, getting together with friends and drinking at one bar after another until one is completely obliterated.

Do you not have pub crawls where you live?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Do you not have pub crawls where you live?

Not really. My rear end is no stranger to barstools, but usually I find one place and stick to it.

Places like Boston will sometimes have a "St. Paddy's Day Pub Crawl", but I prefer to be far away from the sort of people who go to those.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Boston has a ton of pub crawls. Themed pub crawls, holiday pub crawls, literary pub crawls. I like the ones where you stop in Cheers for one drink and watch a bunch of traveling business bros ask everyone to "do the accent." My friends used to try to do the ones that tagged Penguin Pizza because one of them had a beer passport from there that he was trying to fill up.

One time I went on one that ended with watching the X-Men movie with Kevin Bacon in it. It did not have Kelsey Grammer as the blue furry person. I think it is the fourth one. I had never seen any of the X-Men movies before, and I am not much of a superhero person, but I did enjoy pub crawls, and one of my closest friends had just been through a breakup, so I thought I could both have fun and be moral support.

About halfway through the movie, Hugh Jackman was in the movie and told the cast to gently caress off, and I didn't understand why, but I was excited that Hugh Jackman showed up out of nowhere, but I said to myself "That's it? He can't just disappear, there has to be a Prestige," but as far as I remember, there wasn't a Prestige, and he was just in those ten seconds. The movie had Nazis and most people didn't have superhero costumes but Kevin Bacon wore a big green helmet, and that seemed very funny, but I tried to keep my laughter to myself, because I think even when you're drunk, if you're in a movie theater, it's nice to let other people enjoy the movie if they want to. It was probably a very simple movie to follow, but I had consumed many beers, and one of my friends, who had also consumed many beers, was upset about a breakup, and his ex was there.

At the end of the evening the woman that I was vaguely interested in went home with somebody else, and my friend got weepy drunk after his ex left, and the guy with the Penguin Pizza passport never did fill it up, but I remember walking almost four miles home because the T had stopped running, and thinking that it was pretty good to be young, and to do some night walking in the city, and that there were a lot of great bars with a lot of interesting people.

That's my pitch for pub crawls, thank you for listening.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Glad the kid from The Strange Case of the Dog in the Night-Time is doing well.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

loving sue me

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dabir posted:

loving sue me

I thought that was going to be trap sprung but guess not

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Boston has a ton of pub crawls. Themed pub crawls, holiday pub crawls, literary pub crawls. I like the ones where you stop in Cheers for one drink and watch a bunch of traveling business bros ask everyone to "do the accent." My friends used to try to do the ones that tagged Penguin Pizza because one of them had a beer passport from there that he was trying to fill up.

One time I went on one that ended with watching the X-Men movie with Kevin Bacon in it. It did not have Kelsey Grammer as the blue furry person. I think it is the fourth one. I had never seen any of the X-Men movies before, and I am not much of a superhero person, but I did enjoy pub crawls, and one of my closest friends had just been through a breakup, so I thought I could both have fun and be moral support.

About halfway through the movie, Hugh Jackman was in the movie and told the cast to gently caress off, and I didn't understand why, but I was excited that Hugh Jackman showed up out of nowhere, but I said to myself "That's it? He can't just disappear, there has to be a Prestige," but as far as I remember, there wasn't a Prestige, and he was just in those ten seconds. The movie had Nazis and most people didn't have superhero costumes but Kevin Bacon wore a big green helmet, and that seemed very funny, but I tried to keep my laughter to myself, because I think even when you're drunk, if you're in a movie theater, it's nice to let other people enjoy the movie if they want to. It was probably a very simple movie to follow, but I had consumed many beers, and one of my friends, who had also consumed many beers, was upset about a breakup, and his ex was there.

At the end of the evening the woman that I was vaguely interested in went home with somebody else, and my friend got weepy drunk after his ex left, and the guy with the Penguin Pizza passport never did fill it up, but I remember walking almost four miles home because the T had stopped running, and thinking that it was pretty good to be young, and to do some night walking in the city, and that there were a lot of great bars with a lot of interesting people.

That's my pitch for pub crawls, thank you for listening.

Thanks for checking in Tom, big fan btw

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The more I listen to seven’s audios, the more I’m convinced if I didn’t know who they were you could put him and Simms’ master in the same episode and I wouldn’t know who was who (:haw:) until the very end.

Best of intentions my arse.

e: tbf at least he knows it. Shadow of the Scourge is pretty good at revealing just what he (and the other doctors) thinks of himself.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ahahaha best loving news: Big Finish are doing a River Song set featuring the Master -- as played by Geoffrey Beevers, Michelle Gomez, Derek Jacobi and Eric Roberts. Beautiful.

• Locked thread