Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
I love jumping on tanks like they're goombas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Another comment from the dev AMA is "lostech is currently not available outside of story missions but I'm working on making that not the case". Which based on other replies probably means that the procedurally generated missions are going to get extended at some point to include lostech, possibly as a special "you finished the campaign so now fight some really scary poo poo" post game thing. Or maybe you'll just be able to buy them occasionally but it seems a bit pointless when there's nothing to do with them other than faceroll some more poor orions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It could always be an event. "A shifty dude offers to sell you a mangled husk of a mech, claiming it to be valuable Star League era design. Yang gives it a quick look and, without trying to give himself away, signals that this might be the real deal..." or just funding a little lostech expedition if you reach a world with SLDF Ruins (more money spent = better chances of success).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Comstar posted:

What DID the Clans think was going on? I know they kidnapped a ComStar exploration jumpship and had Wolfs "5 regiments of new Mech's and where the hell did THEY came from and why didn't the IS kidnap them to find out?" Dragoon's giving intel but they seem to have just walked in without having any care of what was what was waiting for them.

The only thing that keeps the Clans somewhat interesting is that they are consistently dumb loving idiot morons who don't know their own rear end in a top hat from a hole in the ground

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, I watched a promotional play/interview video before buying and the developers were very clear on saying "sometimes, you just need to cut your losses and GTFO."

I think the dev doing the AMA explicitly said that reinforcements are mostly working as intended but it's been miscommunicated to the players, and I think this is just one more aspect of that. The skull rating is meant to be an estimate (as if the client was giving you intel), not a flat difficulty rating. Sometimes you luck out and get something easy. Sometimes....well, the opposite.

Players (and I am totally guilty of this) are allergic to running away from missions even when they are obviously unwinnable. Best case scenario, we'll reload a million times until we luck out and win it. Worst case scenario, we give up and complain on the Internet. I know isildur wanted to design around this and make it so people just gut it through when a mission goes sideways but, unfortunately, I think the only real answer is mass therapy.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 30, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a way to respec pilots?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there a way to respec pilots?

Nope.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Argas posted:

It's also funny how everyone loves the Star League. Except those people the Star League sneered at and called barbarian savages. The ones nobody ever talks about because they're not the five successor states.

The Star League is the Space Roman Empire. Think about the way nations have called back to the Romans throughout our history - even today. It's the same principle, only in space.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Improbable Lobster posted:

The only thing that keeps the Clans somewhat interesting is that they are consistently dumb loving idiot morons who don't know their own rear end in a top hat from a hole in the ground

I was going to say, one of the funniest things I remember from the ptn thread and battletech lore in general, is that the clans for all their super genes and advanced tech are dumb as heck about the workings of other societies and tactics, and the Inner Sphere can play them hard if you know that.

I do find that funny and interesting about them, though if I remember aren't some clans like "nah man, gently caress the rules" when it comes to the invasion?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Comstar posted:

What DID the Clans think was going on? I know they kidnapped a ComStar exploration jumpship and had Wolfs "5 regiments of new Mech's and where the hell did THEY came from and why didn't the IS kidnap them to find out?" Dragoon's giving intel but they seem to have just walked in without having any care of what was what was waiting for them.

Detaining spies (and the Comstar Explorer Corps. is blatantly a spy organization looking for threats to Comstar's supremacy) that intrude upon your core worlds isn't really a kidnapping. As for the Wolf's Dragoons, at the time they appeared even Successor States really din't want to tangle with group that suddenly showed up with five regiments of pristine Star League era mechs if they have any other choice.

As for not acting on the intel, this was a combination of a number of reasons. First off, the Dragoons went completely dark by 3019, meaning they hadn't even investigated the entire Inner Sphere by that point, including both areas of space where the Invasion would hit (Lyrans and Kuritas) - they were acting under a secondary set of orders apart from the Council to subtly prepare the Inner Sphere to resist a potential future invasion as well, so even while they were sending back updates they were probably not entirely complete reports. Second, in terms of time the Clan Invasion didn't even start until 3049 leaving a 30 year gap in intelligence for the Clans, along with multiple generations of warriors having come and gone meaning even any potential information that was still usable would have been mostly forgotten. Third, just flat out Clan arrogance - don't really need an explanation on this one.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 30, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

anyone else stop giving mechs serious business names like "LRM JAEGER" or "DUAL PPC CATAPULT" and start giving them proper nicknames?

anyway im at work, not playing the game, and yeah

I like Gundam style naming conventions. Hence Glitch Custom on my sniperchicken. :3:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Man, just ran into a Banshee 3E, and the thing isn't very impressive. 95T, and it's wielding... a PPC, AC/5, and a small laser?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Hm, where can I run missions to boost my ratings with the Taurians? I hear they have the best equipment for sale, but tootling around their space is only providing missions from Davion and Capellan employers usually targeting Taurian assets. That kind of tanks my rating with the Taurians and their big juicy spacebucks.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Man, just ran into a Banshee 3E, and the thing isn't very impressive. 95T, and it's wielding... a PPC, AC/5, and a small laser?
The trick to banshees is to not worry about surgically killing the pilot, because they are bad.

Now when that King Crab comes along, you treat it like a goddamn baby while carefully knocking it down and carving up its side torsos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Liquid Communism posted:

I like Gundam style naming conventions. Hence Glitch Custom on my sniperchicken. :3:

"WHAT, AN ATLAS"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

The trick to banshees is to not worry about surgically killing the pilot, because they are bad.

Now when that King Crab comes along, you treat it like a goddamn baby while carefully knocking it down and carving up its side torsos.

Yeah, but this mission was 2 banshees, a dragon, and a wolverine. And I already have a wolverine in stock.

Edit: 1 ballistic, 2 energy, 4 support slots? I guess the thing may be somewhat usable with an AC/20....
Edit #2: haha, no, that with some medium and light lasers can't fit jump jets without further armoring it down..

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 1, 2018

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, called shot CT with them is just ridiculous for insta-deleting enemies.

The one 'smaller weapon' I've found to be very effective is the SRM6. The +++ version is very good, with +4 damage and +2 stability damage. 12x6 means 72 damage each.

Here is one of the special project mechs I've been working on.

Four SRM6+++ totals 288 damage, plus a bunch of stability.
Four MLaser++ totals 140 damage.

That means 428 damage on anything within 270m.

Inside 90m and you can add another 80 damage from the small lasers, for a total of 508. Plus it has maxed out jump jets!

Yeah, I've been using basically that build (without the small lasers, and with a double heatsink and a heat exchanger), and it's hilarious.

Fun fact: the SRM6++ with +4 damage is way better than the +++ version, because it has an accidental -5 accuracy modifier.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Night10194 posted:

My current lance is Disco Stu (Enforcer loaded with lasers), Missile King (LRM Centurion), Van Wizard (Kintaro with SRMs), and Big Ted (Lone, sad quickdraw I know I shouldn't be using but I like his nickname).

Wait wait is there a way to give them actual nicknames?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah, during Refit if you click on the mech name you can rename that mech.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gridlocked posted:

Only from the Refit screen, which is all the justification you should need to refit your 'Mechs

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah. In the refitting screen you can delete the common name in the upper left and type whatever you want.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh god please say there's a way to give them custom paint jobs too

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Oh god please say there's a way to give them custom paint jobs too

I mean, you can click through the patterns.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pity. You would think the save games could be edited.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, during Refit if you click on the mech name you can rename that mech.

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For the memory thing, does it only count manual saves or auto-saves also bog it down? And where can I disable auto-saves then?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
It was honestly really disappointing to see the model with the paints but not be able to paint each part however you like.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

RabidWeasel posted:

Worth noting that there were 2 different levels of brokenness:

1. You got double heat sinks for free in your engine, which so far does not happen HBS-Battletech, so that's one massive balance issue fixed already

2. Clan tech was literally just better than IS tech (like you have the exact same thing but the clan version is lighter or does more damage or whatever). This is going to be a trickier one to balance; the scarcity approach doesn't work forever because salvage.

Also from the AMA they're looking at energy weapon balance so hooray (I predict that LLs will still not be good but they might be less mech-destroyingly awful). I hope they do a pass on LRM stability damage too, they could make the clustering a bit tighter in exchange to make LRMs a bit better at hole punching but right now scoring knockdowns with LRMs is so drat easy it's not even fun.

I dunno, I don't really see the 2nd part that big of an issue. Most games are already about how to get 'the best gear'. If you have the choice of an LBX vs Clan LBX, you'll want the clan version because it's better, but you're still shooting an LBX with it's weapon profile. If Clan tech is tier 2 and you can mount it on your robutt seems cool to me.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think the dev doing the AMA explicitly said that reinforcements are mostly working as intended but it's been miscommunicated to the players, and I think this is just one more aspect of that. The skull rating is meant to be an estimate (as if the client was giving you intel), not a flat difficulty rating. Sometimes you luck out and get something easy. Sometimes....well, the opposite.

Players (and I am totally guilty of this) are allergic to running away from missions even when they are obviously unwinnable. Best case scenario, we'll reload a million times until we luck out and win it. Worst case scenario, we give up and complain on the Internet. I know isildur wanted to design around this and make it so people just gut it through when a mission goes sideways but, unfortunately, I think the only real answer is mass therapy.

Yeah, battle missions are still a bit frustrating, since the reinforcements almost always spawn right after you find the main lance, so you're almost always fighting two lances at once in those situations. This is OK if you outclass them by weight, and you can usually use terrain to control the battle (though not always). I guess the trick is to just withdraw from a lot of them, maybe dropping a light or two to try and clear the "good faith" threshold.

Actually for that matter, does anyone know how the game decides between good and bade faith withdrawals?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Actually for that matter, does anyone know how the game decides between good and bade faith withdrawals?

Going by the in-game tutorial (Darius' dialogue tree), a good faith withdrawal requires at least one objective cleared and one enemy destroyed. Which would make good faith withdrawals from Battle missions somewhat challenging.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Flavius Belisarius posted:

It was honestly really disappointing to see the model with the paints but not be able to paint each part however you like.

Yeah, being stuck with the scuffed up half-off paintjobs sucks. I know that these are near-mythologicially scarce, but paint's cheap, yo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

El Spamo posted:

Hm, where can I run missions to boost my ratings with the Taurians? I hear they have the best equipment for sale, but tootling around their space is only providing missions from Davion and Capellan employers usually targeting Taurian assets. That kind of tanks my rating with the Taurians and their big juicy spacebucks.

Doing missions against a faction does NOT actually lower your reputation with them.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pity. You would think the save games could be edited.

Saves are one of the few things not kept in plain text format.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

As for the Wolf's Dragoons, at the time they appeared even Successor States really din't want to tangle with group that suddenly showed up with five regiments of pristine Star League era mechs if they have any other choice.

Wolf's Dragoons are also pretty hilarious for bringing along a heap of mechs that had gone completely out of production at the time that they came back; by the time of Battletech there might be a couple variants floating around.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I've heard this is true if you spend skill points on the character that has High/Low spirits but it definitely isn't necessarily true if you spend skill points on other characters: I have a character who I avoided spending skill points on and her Low Spirits went away normally, I definitely spent skill points on other characters during that time

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

2 SPOOKY posted:

In line with the lore chatter, is there a good high-level summary of the history of the Battletech universe out there somewhere that isn’t “spend 100 hours reading the wiki”?

The wiki is interesting and cool, but safaris can only do so much.
PC Gamer just ran an interview with the creator of Battletech (available online), in which he broke the lore down, explained how the available technologies impacted cultural development, and talked about the real history he drew inspiration from. It's a great read.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wolf's Dragoons are also pretty hilarious for bringing along a heap of mechs that had gone completely out of production at the time that they came back; by the time of Battletech there might be a couple variants floating around.

And half of them were picked because the Wolves thought "Well these were kinda crappy back in the day, so they shouldn't raise eyebrows, right?" :downs:

"You have how many Fleas and Annihilators?!" :stare:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Doing missions against a faction does NOT actually lower your reputation with them.

It can, but I've never seen it do more than -1.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, there was also an Innersphere planet that used a game of American Football as their defense when the clans invaded their world.

The clans played using Elementals (sans power armor, but Elemental warriors are still huge muscleheads without the armor). However, the locals actually impressed they hell out the clans because they managed to score 3 points.

By 3025 the Star League is something of a revisionist, Mythical "better time" that frequently ignores the truth of what it really was. Even some people in the periphery look back at the star league fondly (not Taurians though or anyone in former RWR space).

My unit logo uses the Star League symbol for the "Justice" card somewhat ironically. :v:

The Ghost Bears not only showed up to the field with elementals, they showed up with actual football gear and didn't need to be explained the rules, because while there were few people of American descent in the Inner Sphere and only a few worlds even know what gridiron football even was, the game was still alive among several of the Clans.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Ersatz posted:

PC Gamer just ran an interview with the creator of Battletech (available online), in which he broke the lore down, explained how the available technologies impacted cultural development, and talked about the real history he drew inspiration from. It's a great read.

Is there a link so that others may read this?

damnit, edit is not quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

A.o.D. posted:

Is there a link so that others may read this?

damnit, edit is not quote.

Here.