Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I pulled on the XIII banner because I have a dived Raines and wanted his USB.

Ended up with Nabaat USB and LMR and Snow BSB (the one I didn't already have).

I'll need to look into her USB, maybe it is worth it due to the LMR, but imperil USBs are usually really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Aw, I was looking forward to doublecasting that poo poo and pumping up chain damage a shitload. Ah well.
Witch abilities were created back when Chain spells (like Chain Blizzaga, etc) only hit twice. This made them fairly prone to hitting the damage cap - 19,998 over 2 hits. The idea behind Witch was, they'd trade speed and total potency for 3x the damage potential.

Unfortunately, before we even got the Chain spell buffs I'd ditched the 5* witch abilities entirely. My Lulu with USB - which comes with enice, a magic boost, and instant cast, was doing about the same amount of damage with Abyssal Shards as she was with Chain Blizzaga. Maybe if I dove her, or had some +ice relics, I could have eked out a bit more damage. Instead I just shattered them.

Eventually they'll get buffed to have a higher potency than the chain spells. Chain spells will still be better for general use imo, but those with a reliable way to speed up actions, and/or those who have something Witch specific, can find some value with them. For now, I'm skeptical that they're even worth using with CSBs. They have lower porltency than the 4* Black Magic spells.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I did a bad-idea pull on the holy banner, even though I already had a lot of the stuff on it. Was rewarded with Cid USB and Basch USB, both new to me.

Was slightly disappointed when I went into a battle and realized the doublecast for Cid's USB uses up two uses of an ability. I should have known this but I guess I thought since it's Cid, it'd be ridiculously crazy OP. Of course it's still crazy OP.

Question time: I have two teams that can reliably get Isgebind to ~33 seconds and want to know what I can do to improve one of them to reliable sub-30. I'm a Day - 1 player with a ton of poo poo except solid Healer USB's, so if there's something that can speed up my time, there's a solid chance I have it.

Physical team:

Bartz w/USB, +Fire RM, Blazing Quadstrike after a few lifesiphons - non-ranged +Fire weapon, (I only have one ranged Fire weapon)
Locke w/CSB, BSB and OSB, +DMG against weakness RM, ranged +Fire weapon (5*, significantly weaker than the non-ranged I give Bartz)

Magic team:

Terra w/ USB, OSB + AOSB, +Fire RM, Wrath til Chain is up, then USB>OSB/AOSB spam and Meltdown in between, using her AOSB +Fire MAG Sword
Krile w/CSB (also have Sheepsong but don't use it), +DMG against Weakness RM, Chain Firaga until full bar then CSB, and more Chain Firaga, non-+Fire weapon (best one is -100 MAG vs. non+Fire weapon)

Both teams use:

Edge w/SSB, Mako Might, Smoldering Fire/Fire Veil. Turn 1 SSB, then Fire Veil until Chain is up, then Smoldering Fire. Occasionally SSB when needed. non+Fire fist.
Onion w/pUSB/mUSB (whichever's appropriate), Dr. Mog's. Turn 1 Dr. Mog, then Wrath/Wrath/Entrust to the Chainer, Wrath/Wrath/Re-up USB, wrath/entrust remaining time.
Yshtola w/BSB, Gathering Storm RM, Protectga, Curada, and using Unicorn Magicite to Astra the paralyzes. Curadas and BSB's as needed.

All damage dealers have +fire armors.

Magicite - Unicorn, two King Bombs, a Maliris and a Liquid Flame.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

bilperkins2 posted:

Magic team:

Terra w/ USB, OSB + AOSB, +Fire RM, Wrath til Chain is up, then USB>OSB/AOSB spam and Meltdown in between, using her AOSB +Fire MAG Sword
Krile w/CSB (also have Sheepsong but don't use it), +DMG against Weakness RM, Chain Firaga until full bar then CSB, and more Chain Firaga, non-+Fire weapon (best one is -100 MAG vs. non+Fire weapon)

Both teams use:

Edge w/SSB, Mako Might, Smoldering Fire/Fire Veil. Turn 1 SSB, then Fire Veil until Chain is up, then Smoldering Fire. Occasionally SSB when needed. non+Fire fist.
Onion w/pUSB/mUSB (whichever's appropriate), Dr. Mog's. Turn 1 Dr. Mog, then Wrath/Wrath/Entrust to the Chainer, Wrath/Wrath/Re-up USB, wrath/entrust remaining time.
Yshtola w/BSB, Gathering Storm RM, Protectga, Curada, and using Unicorn Magicite to Astra the paralyzes. Curadas and BSB's as needed.

Quick thoughts: I would try your Magic team, dropping Edge for an entruster to Terra. Don't use wrath on terra other than maybe turn 1, instead start using attacks. Maybe start with a gauge on Krille, since most damage will be coming from Terra, and you are going for speed, can have Krille use RW turn 1 then chain turn 2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Give Terra Ace Striker instead of +fire. Getting more OSBs out is way better dps than spamming Meltdown, and chances are you're way over the damage cap on OSBs and even Meltdown. Give Meltdown to Krile instead. Also consider giving Krile Battleforged to get the chain up a turn sooner.

Also if you have another healer who can bring something besides raw healing to the table, take them instead of Y'shtola. Edge USB0 plus Y'shtola is definitely overkill on healing.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

bilperkins2 posted:

Question time: I have two teams that can reliably get Isgebind to ~33 seconds and want to know what I can do to improve one of them to reliable sub-30. I'm a Day - 1 player with a ton of poo poo except solid Healer USB's, so if there's something that can speed up my time, there's a solid chance I have it.

If you do switch Edge to an entruster as oryp mentioned, some ideas for tweaks with these two:
-If going magic, OK can good do good damage with mUSB's Sage buff. He carries Meltdown for me.
-OK switching to damage could also let him carry Protectga. Y'sh could then switch to Ultra Cure to cover paralyze, with the ice resist + paralyze resist on her.
-You could then also switch to a different main magicite like fire imperil, +fire damage, or -ice damage.

NZT posted his physical kill and I have a video of a magic kill so here you go in case either one gives you some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q6x3mVD8hg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSh-LKTLEE

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I pulled on T0 because I only have 1 T0 relic.

Queen BSB and a Deuce SSB. I'm cool with both of these. They're not magicite clearing material but at least I have a little more synergy and some elemental damageand a cool Last Stand SSB.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nihilarian posted:

Eventually they'll get buffed to have a higher potency than the chain spells. Chain spells will still be better for general use imo, but those with a reliable way to speed up actions, and/or those who have something Witch specific, can find some value with them. For now, I'm skeptical that they're even worth using with CSBs. They have lower porltency than the 4* Black Magic spells.

There is currently one fringe case where Witch spells are useful: You have Edea or Shantotto's USBs.

And even then it might not be worth it for Edea. Totto at least can mitigate the slow cast on the 5*s with her trance mode.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dollar draw on type zero netted me Queen USB. I already have the other spellblade USBs (lightning, Paine, Steiner). This one seems pretty forgettable.

At least it's my first type zero relic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

There is currently one fringe case where Witch spells are useful: You have Edea or Shantotto's USBs.

And even then it might not be worth it for Edea. Totto at least can mitigate the slow cast on the 5*s with her trance mode.

Edea can work with Rinoa CSB (since it gives Quickcast 2) and her own LMR, but otherwise she really wants some Allegro.

Pander posted:

Dollar draw on type zero netted me Queen USB. I already have the other spellblade USBs (lightning, Paine, Steiner). This one seems pretty forgettable.

At least it's my first type zero relic.

Steiner's is bad, so you can run Lightning + Queen in a Lightning team.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

11 on that Holy banner got me USB for TG Cid and Cecil. Haven't tried the second one yet but holy gently caress Sword Saint is just loving amazing.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Witch abilities are definitely bad but my Shantotto with just her burst still leads with hell thunder on my Kraken team because OK is already using chain thundaga and I'm allergic to making multiple copies of an ability.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ApplesandOranges posted:

Edea can work with Rinoa CSB (since it gives Quickcast 2) and her own LMR, but otherwise she really wants some Allegro.

poo poo I totally forgot about that aspect of Rinoa's CSB. Since I got Edea's USB, think it's worth replacing a QSB Squall with her on that team? Combine the faster casting from Rinoa with the doublecast from Edea's USB.

Also, is there any place to see what the damage modifiers on abilities are? So I can more easily compare what is and isn't good.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Also, is there any place to see what the damage modifiers on abilities are? So I can more easily compare what is and isn't good.

one of us, one of us

http://happypluto.com/~misterp/r/ffrk.pdf

Also check out the OP for more links. :)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thanks! I totally forgot to check links in the OP, my bad. Mathing it out, it seems like even with Edea’s doublecast from her USB and the fast casting from Rinoa’s CSB, Chain Blizzaga wins out over Abyssal Shards…until it gets buffed up. After the buff it’ll be quite a bit stronger, once factoring in the doublecast. Hopefully the buffs come soonish? I see the OP says that the JP version came out 6 months ahead of us, does that mean their changes take 6 months to implement?

Also quick question, do multiple speedcasting skills stack up, or is it like other buffs?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

McDragon posted:

11 on that Holy banner got me USB for TG Cid and Cecil. Haven't tried the second one yet but holy gently caress Sword Saint is just loving amazing.

High five TGBro :hfive: the damage output is bonkers and then the doublecast... I seriously want to finish his dive and get his LMR.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

I see the OP says that the JP version came out 6 months ahead of us, does that mean their changes take 6 months to implement?

Also quick question, do multiple speedcasting skills stack up, or is it like other buffs?
Yes unless DeNA arbitrarily decides to move something up like how we're getting the glint buff this month, and yes with a catch. Different kinds of quick cast buffs stack as they are different buffs, the same way stat buffs and debuffs stack if they hit different sets of stats. High Quick Cast will stack with Quick Cast will stack with Magical Quick Cast.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I see the OP says that the JP version came out 6 months ahead of us, does that mean their changes take 6 months to implement?

This is generaly the case though seems to be changing recently - like we are getting a glint buff jp just got next week.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

iPodschun posted:

Yes unless DeNA arbitrarily decides to move something up like how we're getting the glint buff this month, and yes with a catch. Different kinds of quick cast buffs stack as they are different buffs, the same way stat buffs and debuffs stack if they hit different sets of stats. High Quick Cast will stack with Quick Cast will stack with Magical Quick Cast.

Sweet, in that case it looks like Rinoa’s QSB will stack with the buff provided from Sudden Freeze - which means if you use Sudden Freeze > Abyssal Shards while under Edea’s USB doublecast for witch abilities you’ll get more DPS compared to going Sudden Freeze > Chain Blizzaga or just using two Chain Blizzagas. And that’s before Abyssal Shards gets buffed :toot:

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

iPodschun posted:

If you do switch Edge to an entruster as oryp mentioned, some ideas for tweaks with these two:
-If going magic, OK can good do good damage with mUSB's Sage buff. He carries Meltdown for me.
-OK switching to damage could also let him carry Protectga. Y'sh could then switch to Ultra Cure to cover paralyze, with the ice resist + paralyze resist on her.
-You could then also switch to a different main magicite like fire imperil, +fire damage, or -ice damage.

NZT posted his physical kill and I have a video of a magic kill so here you go in case either one gives you some ideas:

Fister Roboto posted:

Give Terra Ace Striker instead of +fire. Getting more OSBs out is way better dps than spamming Meltdown, and chances are you're way over the damage cap on OSBs and even Meltdown. Give Meltdown to Krile instead. Also consider giving Krile Battleforged to get the chain up a turn sooner.

Also if you have another healer who can bring something besides raw healing to the table, take them instead of Y'shtola. Edge USB0 plus Y'shtola is definitely overkill on healing.

Oryp posted:

Quick thoughts: I would try your Magic team, dropping Edge for an entruster to Terra. Don't use wrath on terra other than maybe turn 1, instead start using attacks. Maybe start with a gauge on Krille, since most damage will be coming from Terra, and you are going for speed, can have Krille use RW turn 1 then chain turn 2.

Thanks all, combining the advice from these got me to 27 seconds.

Subbed in dived Shelke for Edge, with MM - entrust immediately to Krile for Chain.
Terra gets Ace Striker instead, was still hitting all 9's on basically everything. Made Vali summon to use once at the start before Chain was up.
Krile got Blizzara to use once at the start to trigger Terra's Trance, although in the winning run it didn't even work lol. She tranced later in the fight though.
Onion changes from Entrust bot to Meltdown/Protectga - got a couple double-casts which helped.
Ysh had a hard time keeping up healing, I'm not 100% sure this is consistent - especially since winning run had no paralyzes.

Thank you! That's two 4* Magicites down, gonna farm and level the Magicites before taking on the next one (Tiamat. I have Bartz USB and Squall BSB, and Rinoa chain so I'm not too worried. If anyone has a team comp that uses those three, I wouldn't say no to posting it :)

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 1, 2018

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Oryp posted:

Another thought for bilperkins2:
Instead of an entruster you could also try Bartz as mostly a chain builder, since his dps is going to be a bit low. I would only try this if you are not capping the abilities with your mages at lower chain numbers. I still suspect an entruster for Terra USB -> AOSB and OSBs is going to be better, and shouldn't require a large chain number.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bilperkins2 posted:

Krile got Blizzara to use once at the start to trigger Terra's Trance, although in the winning run it didn't even work lol. She tranced later in the fight though.

I wouldn't waste turns on trying to activate Trance. With mUSB and Terra's USB, you've already got two quickcast buffs, so a third one would't be as useful. It would only be about a 15% dps increase on OSB spam, assuming zero input delay (so realistically more like 5-10%). It's probably a wash or even a loss compared to using that turn for damage.

On the other hand, you could let Trance activate naturally. For my Isgebind strategy, I deliberately avoid using AOE heals and healing Terra, and trance fairly reliably activates around the 12 second mark.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PS have I mentioned how much I hate that input delay is even a thing you have to worry about? Why isn't there a wait mode for this game?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

PS have I mentioned how much I hate that input delay is even a thing you have to worry about? Why isn't there a wait mode for this game?

Yeah that combined with soul breaks and certain abilities temporarily removing the UI during their animations is a pretty good complaint.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

saltylopez posted:

Yeah that combined with soul breaks and certain abilities temporarily removing the UI during their animations is a pretty good complaint.

The ol' Down Low, Too Slow

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What’s a good rule of thumb for pulling on banners? The FF8 and FF11 banners both have some stuff I want, but only two relics on each that I really have my eye on. Worth trying for? Or should I mostly just dump my mythril into the ice banner, since my team right now is mostly ice and banking off of Rinoa’s CSB?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
The problem with the realm banners is that the ratio of good stuff to crap is too low. There's nice stuff on the FF8 banner to be sure, but fishing for a specific piece of gear is a fool's errand. The 15 and Type-0 banners are somewhat of an exception since the realms are new and have a smaller and less out of date spread.

If you have a solid ice team, you may want to try a different element. Making a strong team stronger is nice, but specialization only gets you so far. The holy banner has some top shelf stuff on it, though holy stuff is generally easier to come by

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
all dungeons reopened only last until the 10th right?
dang, I missed A LOT of events when I left.

I think I might need to refresh with mythril since even with Potions, I dont think im going to have enough to finish all of them. Im going in numerical order and im still in FF5 <<

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Shoenin posted:

all dungeons reopened only last until the 10th right?
dang, I missed A LOT of events when I left.

I think I might need to refresh with mythril since even with Potions, I dont think im going to have enough to finish all of them. Im going in numerical order and im still in FF5 <<

I've been knocking out the first page of each event so I'm only spending a relatively small amount of stamina for some quick mythril. If I don't clear everything, oh well, at least I'm confident we'll get another renewal in another several months! :v: I did clear a lot of them during the last renewal event, but I missed quite a few.

Once I manage to clear all the normals, I'll focus on events that have rewards I want, like MC3 lodes and 5* abilities.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

What’s a good rule of thumb for pulling on banners? The FF8 and FF11 banners both have some stuff I want, but only two relics on each that I really have my eye on. Worth trying for? Or should I mostly just dump my mythril into the ice banner, since my team right now is mostly ice and banking off of Rinoa’s CSB?

All banners available are either bad or meh for you, so I'd recommend saving for the banners I recommended previously or for fest.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

My goals when pulling for relics evolved as follows:

- Try to field an "A" team with whatever your best relics are. Something that can clear a majority of the content. Basically you want the trinity (wall, hastega, and medica) and some dps relics.
- Turn your A team into two A teams; one physical dps, one magical dps. Try to get some sort of support relics for each type of damage. I also wanted some enemy break relics but these are of a lot less use at higher level content nowadays.
- Look for elemental and realm coverage. Focus on pulling for elements that you need damage for. Magicites are the current endgame in global and you generally want 2 good dps for any given element to be ok. Upcoming endgame content is going to focus on having strong realm synergy and we'll also need to be able to field a physical and magic team for each element. Your ice coverage is pretty good atm so it might be time to look elsewhere. You'll also want weapons and armor that give a bonus to elemental damage. A relic with a garbage SB can still be good if it has something like +earth damage. +holy damage swords are a dime a dozen though.

Aside from that try to pull for S tier relics while avoiding dupes. Stuff like an instant cast medica (bonus if it has last stand), Aphmau or Relm USB, OK USBs, Edge SSB. I think at least some of the older top tier relics will be included in the upcoming realm update where we get some free draws. You can probably get some elemental coverage from there too.

Lucky draws are almost always worth drawing on. I usually draw on ones even where I have lots of dupes and it's mostly worked out.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Looks like we're getting 5 mythril a day for 10 days starting tomorrow or the day after?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Lately I've given up on strategising my mythril because I have a rock solid spread of relics and vying for a few top prizes leads to a lot of frustration when I don't get it, like every time I've pulled for something for Vivi and get yet another Steiner relic.

So I got 50 mythril and pulled on the banner that had the most stuff I could use on it.

That's a drat satisfying pull for a spur of the moment decision!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Did the JP version ever get like any actual numbers / percentage bars for boss health? It's kind of annoying trying to guess what the hp thresholds are on bosses with insanely compressed health bars and absurd hp pools.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Did the JP version ever get like any actual numbers / percentage bars for boss health? It's kind of annoying trying to guess what the hp thresholds are on bosses with insanely compressed health bars and absurd hp pools.

Nope.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Always sometimes pull

This is actually a pretty kick rear end pull.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Armitage posted:

Always sometimes pull

This is actually a pretty kick rear end pull.

That bikini has +ice on it. Ever wanted to see Squall in a bikini? :wiggle:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Geocities Homepage King posted:

That bikini has +ice on it. Ever wanted to see Squall in a bikini? :wiggle:

I have Lulu’s BSB so Squall already knows how to rock a dress!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

He’s be a bud with Tidus and his favorite bondage gear (Payne bsb).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

do element offense boosts stack, and is it elemental resists that overwrite each other? i've been giving tidus both his water soccer ball and some kind of dress that boosts water damage but maybe that isn't the way to go?

• Locked thread