Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just spent $700 at Town Fair Tire in NH (so that's without sales tax) to get 4 Continental PureContacts with alignment, balancing, etc etc. No road hazard either since their road hazard policy has gotten consistently worse unless you buy cheap tires.

There's a wide range of tires that would get you between $450-700 out-the-door depending on what brand you care about and whether you want all-seasons or summer tires. Is this for an MS3? Have you considered anything besides Yokos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

kefkafloyd posted:

I just spent $700 at Town Fair Tire in NH (so that's without sales tax) to get 4 Continental PureContacts with alignment, balancing, etc etc. No road hazard either since their road hazard policy has gotten consistently worse unless you buy cheap tires.

There's a wide range of tires that would get you between $450-700 out-the-door depending on what brand you care about and whether you want all-seasons or summer tires. Is this for an MS3? Have you considered anything besides Yokos?

Just a regular 2011 3, nothing fancy. Texas highway driving, so some rain, mostly heat the next 6+ months, never going to need them for snow (I don’t switch them out in winter or anything). Road noise now drives me absolutely nuts, which is why the new yokos sounds so appealing. They may not really be any better on the road.

I found a place where I can get Michelin Premiers for $660, but I see a few complaints that they’re noisy too. I’m not stuck to any one brand, just family experience with Michelins and my own now with the yokos.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
My new baby:

Alighieri posted:

There is a community built fork of AA if you have a compatible firmware version of the mazda connect system. May try it on mine once it's back from the repair shop, I have already done a few tweaks to it from the AOI installer: https://mazdatweaks.com/

I installed this on my 2016 Mazda 3 Sport a few days after buying it, and it was buggy as poo poo for a while, but the latest build of Android Auto is solid. I wouldn't live without it, personally.

Then yesterday I was, unfortunately forced to trade the car in because of a pending divorce and the car being in both of our names. RIP my ice blue Mazda 3 :(

To replace it I bought this brand new 2018 Mazda 3 Touring in dark blue. I was terrified that the newer models would have the updated firmware that locks out the tweaks installer, but I lucked out. I already had my USB stick all prepped for a Mazda Tweaks AIO install, and had it fully tweaked and up and running before even driving off the lot. I'm pretty sure I blew the salesmen's mind when he saw AA boot up on the dashboard.

A few minutes of checking boxes and settings in the GUI, a few minutes to copy all the files to the USB stick, and about 10 minutes of install time is all it takes.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I’ll try not to keep the thrilling tire chat going too long, looks like my best options are:
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring - 205/50R17 89V (not sure, probably cheapest)
Michelin Premier A/S - 205/50R17/XL 93V ($660)
Yokohama YK740 GTX ($720)

Anyone tried these (or others)? As I recall some folks tried Pirellis before too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I just look at the ratings on tirerack.com.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Frozen-Solid posted:

My new baby:

I installed this on my 2016 Mazda 3 Sport a few days after buying it, and it was buggy as poo poo for a while, but the latest build of Android Auto is solid. I wouldn't live without it, personally.

Then yesterday I was, unfortunately forced to trade the car in because of a pending divorce and the car being in both of our names. RIP my ice blue Mazda 3 :(

To replace it I bought this brand new 2018 Mazda 3 Touring in dark blue. I was terrified that the newer models would have the updated firmware that locks out the tweaks installer, but I lucked out. I already had my USB stick all prepped for a Mazda Tweaks AIO install, and had it fully tweaked and up and running before even driving off the lot. I'm pretty sure I blew the salesmen's mind when he saw AA boot up on the dashboard.

A few minutes of checking boxes and settings in the GUI, a few minutes to copy all the files to the USB stick, and about 10 minutes of install time is all it takes.

The biggest issue i had was stuttering when in nav mode on AA, unplugging the Mazda navigation SD card fixed that, once that was solved it's been smooth sailing, may not go for the mazda authorized upgrade when it is available depending on how they price it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I think I have a stone stuck in my front driver's side brake rotor/caliper. :| Time to take the wheel off tomorrow morning, and hope I can fish whatever it is out.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Road noise now drives me absolutely nuts, which is why the new yokos sounds so appealing. They may not really be any better on the road.

Unfortunately road noise is just part of Mazda3 ownership.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah, I figured any promises about dampening weren’t going to hold up. I’d at least like to be able to take phone calls on Bluetooth but :shrug:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The dampening is significantly better as compared to Gen1 Mazda3, but not as good as what you'd get in a civic or corolla.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Previa_fun posted:

It is better to rule in driving dynamics hell than to serve in quiet riding heaven.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The riken raptors I have are quiet and like $50 bucks a pop in 205/50-17. I'd be wary of using them if you live in a part of texas that gets the yearly farting of ice/snow around jan/feb though. They're a soft summer tire so have 0 traction on frozen poo poo, but do seem to handle cold temps reasonably well.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring - 205/50R17 89V (not sure, probably cheapest)

I had these once on a 2008 3 as the second set of tires and they did okay but started to wear really weird after, I don't quite recall, around 20k despite the dealer insisting the suspension was fine. Beyond that they did okay in wet and were surprisingly great on ice/extremely packed snow in low temp but they sucked the poo poo out of the Michelin man's rear end in a top hat in wet snow/slush. Would not buy again overall.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003
Anyone else checked out the ‘18 6 yet?

.....kinda debating between a GT and Signature at the moment :/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does anybody sell coilovers for the first gen 3 still? I noticed they're gone from Corksport's page. Would that allow me to adjust the ride height? I want to have different size wheels and tires for winter and summer.

Also I kind of want to install an LSD if I have the money. Do I have to go trolling the Mazda forums? I really hate posting on other forums now.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd message jamal and ask him. He got me some for my 1st gen 6 wagon that is surprisingly comfortable.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm looking to mod my 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 in the future, and how long can I get away with not upgrading my rear motor mount? It seems like the #1 mod for this car, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to deal with the apparently inevitable NVH issues. Especially when I'm just looking to add some extra fun into my daily.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
You'll need the RMM. As a datapoint, I recently put in an RMM from Damond. After about 1k miles of break in, it's only noticeable when giving the car throttle from 1k to ~1.75k RPMs, and even then is just some low frequency vibration (enough to rattle the mirrors basically). There's no change in NVH at idle.

Maybe it's just cause I've driven some fairly rough driving older cars, but I literally don't even notice it anymore and it's my DD. I think trans and pass mounts is where things get harsh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you're modding an MZR you should pretty much do the following.

Accessport
High pressure fuel pump internals.
Custom tune (Cobb has several workable OTS options to start)
Downpipe.

From there you have many options but those four will net you some decent power and give you room for more as you go.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

RMM is pretty much the quintessential MS3 mod. The NVH is increased, especially with the AC on, but you only notice it at idle.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd message jamal and ask him. He got me some for my 1st gen 6 wagon that is surprisingly comfortable.

Hey thanks. Those STs like you have are looking like the best option. Bilstein makes some stuff but it's all backordered until August.

And also I get cp-e parts among other things.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Man why is the Cobb AP so expensive for the MS3? I'm still annoyed that the AP for my brother's FiST was $2-300 cheaper than the the MS3.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 2, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

Man why is the Cobb AP so expensive for the MS3? I'm still annoyed that the AP for my brother's First was $2-300 cheaper than the the MS3.

I swear prices went UP when the Speed variants were discontinued. I had a V2 that I used for a month, never got around to a custom tune and then sold it and I took a bath on it.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm looking to mod my 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 in the future, and how long can I get away with not upgrading my rear motor mount? It seems like the #1 mod for this car, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to deal with the apparently inevitable NVH issues. Especially when I'm just looking to add some extra fun into my daily.

I recently changed my MS3 motor mounts (DM PMM, CP-E RMM) because the stock PMM was blown. I have no engine power mods since I think I have plenty of power to have fun already. Vibrations have increased, but it actually doesn't feel bad at all aside from the rearview mirror getting a bit blurry sometimes. On the flipside, the torque steer and wheel hop is completely gone. Apparently these two mounts together take out enough slack that the drivetrain no longer wiggles under load, eliminating torque steer. If you know your MS3, you know that torque steer is not just a minor annoyance but can actually be a safety issue at times. Wheel hop used to be a major annoyance for me as well - it doesn't matter that you have all the best power mods if you can't actually deliver it to the contact patch.

So I would say yes, RMM and maybe PMM are key because without them, your powerful engine will flop around like a fish and your other mods won't do you any good.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I wonder how much of that torque steer is down to worn out stock mounts? I never had any serious issues in my first gen MS3 but it’s had a very easy life and only had 65,000km on when I sold it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Motor mounts really are a wear item on this car, even on the N/A 3. I had one replaced under warranty and I'm sure I have others bad now too. I'm pretty sure this is Mazda's first fluid-filled mount application, and they didn't quite get it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mine was rubber, not liquid. Was that a change on the second gen?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Mine was rubber, not liquid. Was that a change on the second gen?

There's buttery goodness inside.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
I had serious torque steer (and related wheel hop) on this car from day one, when the PMM was new. The stock RMM was also like new when removed after 120K miles.

I'm pretty convinced both stock mounts allow way too much movement in the drivetrain, even with no wear. (Don't think the TMM matters as much due to its construction.)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Charles posted:

There's sort of a rumor of an AWD Mazda 6 as there was one on the NHTSA website in January or so. Mazda didn't comment on it. No idea if that's a Mazdaspeed model or not.

I'm sure they'll make another one some time, but they have to focus on products that actually make them money.

I heard at work from one of the reps they are doing an AWD 6, but no manual and, obviously, no speed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah no fun combos. Like the Fusion, you can get turbos or AWD or a stick but not all three.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, guess I forgot how much tires are :monocle:
$720 for 4 new Yokohamas installed and all that. Is this crazy? I don’t see anywhere I will do much better. Tempted to spend an extra $75 and get a steelie for a full sized spare (I drive about 1000 miles every two weeks with few shops between).

My summer tires are on their last legs and probably won't make it to winter so I'm in the same boat. I guess I have no choice but to drop a fat pile of cash, though I hate that I forgot and now it's essentially an unexpected expense :sigh:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Martytoof posted:

My summer tires are on their last legs and probably won't make it to winter so I'm in the same boat. I guess I have no choice but to drop a fat pile of cash, though I hate that I forgot and now it's essentially an unexpected expense :sigh:

I was really expecting more in the neighborhood of $500, but either my memory is bad (it is) or prices have gone up in the past few years. $130 per tire doesn’t seem outrageous but the total hurts more. Can’t decide on the steel wheel, but I am going to run my current tires a bit longer. Credit back only kicks in at 3/16 on tread, which the shop insisted was extremely unsafe (currents have 45 of the promised 60k but are in the 4-5/16 range).

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Paging NM:

What was the original wheel/tire size of the Mazda 2? A neighbor of mine (who is insane and owns an NSX as his backup car) wrecked his daily, an Integra that he'd engine and suspension swapped to be as close to a GSR as possible. He sent me the spec of 15x7 by 4x100 on the rims which are from what I recall the really sweet powdercoated ones from an actual GSR. They're running 205/50/15s with a 38(cm/mm?) offset whatever that means. I haven't discussed price with him yet as I just got new rubber on my MB wheels, but I want to make sure things may potentially fit once he gets parts back from insurance. It'd be a bad financial decision, but man, those would be totally tight. Will that size wheel even fit?

Edit: Having done some research as to what offset is, and a bit of light googling I found https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/mazda2/2012/ which indicates that a rim of 15x6.5 w/4x100 lug holes and a +37mm offset should fit.

Edit 2: Sparco Assetto Gara in matte bronze.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 7, 2018

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Alright, so my paranoia may be kicking in here, but I seem to be having significant power loss when trying to accelerate rapidly, at almost any speed. Used to be I could put my foot into it a bit and my 3 would get after it, no problem. Now you put your foot into it and it gets noisy with no expected boost, it will still accelerate and get up to speed, but it’s worrying the hell out of me, especially since it usually happens when trying to pass or merge. I checked the oil and trans fluid about a week ago and both seemed fine. Anyone else run into this? Air filter wasn’t too dirty, so I left it (beat it some and got some dust out, surely that wouldn’t drag this much).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
303 Aerospace Protectant looks so sharp on the current-gen leatherette.

After a long gross winter, I swear that stuff slathered over the entire interior was good for +10hp.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

Alright, so my paranoia may be kicking in here, but I seem to be having significant power loss when trying to accelerate rapidly, at almost any speed. Used to be I could put my foot into it a bit and my 3 would get after it, no problem. Now you put your foot into it and it gets noisy with no expected boost, it will still accelerate and get up to speed, but it’s worrying the hell out of me, especially since it usually happens when trying to pass or merge. I checked the oil and trans fluid about a week ago and both seemed fine. Anyone else run into this? Air filter wasn’t too dirty, so I left it (beat it some and got some dust out, surely that wouldn’t drag this much).

Any check engine light? Does it do this sporatically, or every time?

E: How old are the spark plugs?

hattersmad fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 7, 2018

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

No engine lights or any other indication. Seems to be every time (I drove 300 miles last night and it happened regularly when those situations arose). Someone suggested excess heat but it wasn’t outrageously hot last night. I’m less certain of this, but the car seemed to be downshifting on hills more than necessary/usual too while on cruise control (it’s not smart cruise control). Obviously I can feel it more with my foot on the pedal and I can hear the difference too.

My coolant mix is probably fairly strong as I was preparing for cold temps this past winter. The engine bay is dusty (it’s dusty as hell out here) but I didn’t want to hose out the engine compartment. I can’t think the radiator would be socked full or anything.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
You can't fit both the turbo and the AWD system together on this gen of 3 and 6, and the 2.5T hasn't been mated with a stick anywhere yet. Without a re-tune it wouldn't be that fun, anyways.

You know what the 2.5T is a SHITLOAD of fun in, though? The CX-9. My wife and I went to the Mazda dealer today to mainly check out the CX5, and to confirm the CX9 would be too large. It isn't. It drives awesome. We're getting the CX9 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You can't fit both the turbo and the AWD system together on this gen of 3 and 6, and the 2.5T hasn't been mated with a stick anywhere yet. Without a re-tune it wouldn't be that fun, anyways.

You know what the 2.5T is a SHITLOAD of fun in, though? The CX-9. My wife and I went to the Mazda dealer today to mainly check out the CX5, and to confirm the CX9 would be too large. It isn't. It drives awesome. We're getting the CX9 instead.

:hf: We love our CX-9 even replaced a Macan which was also awesome but just too small. We cross shopped MDXs and Outbacks mostly because they're the reliable and fairly good handling mid-sized SUVs and they're so far behind that it's sad especially considering we've owned both of them in prior versions. The CX-9 was the closest thing to our old Outback XT in spirit so it was a pretty easy decision.