Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Inside Out Mom posted:

Whats some good properties and traits to go with this weapon?

I'm guessing swift slaying and +attack speed and crit chance?

I've got attack speed and push angle on my flail. I figure I have a bunch of bonus stamina on zealot when low on health, so the pushes might as well be effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metal Meltdown posted:

Also worth mentioning that the pushblock attack on the flail goes directly into the two overhead slams, so that's also an option instead of having to start with the two lights.

Honestly I love poo poo like this about Ratgame. It's not super mechanically deep but just enough to make me want to master what's there, sort of like Smash Brothers.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
With gasrats being nerfed to a far more reasonable state, my new pain-in-the-rear end specials are hookrats blending into hordes and grabbing dudes from corners, with double Blightstormers remaining a rare but notable cancer.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

With gasrats being nerfed to a far more reasonable state, my new pain-in-the-rear end specials are hookrats blending into hordes and grabbing dudes from corners, with double Blightstormers remaining a rare but notable cancer.

I had three leeches spawn in the spawn of six seconds last night that doomed our run. I have never seen anything like it and it killed the mood to continue with the game at that point

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Duplicate (or triplicate) specials are a stupid loving design decision, and sound bugs make them even more loving lovely. Oh cool, thanks for sounding out there's an assassin when's it already stabbing someone, also there's another and the sound didn't play because gently caress you.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 30, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I keep getting the bug where the horde music plays for the entire map, especially on Convocation of Decay. It's like an unwanted challenge mode

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it sounds like the upcoming mondo 22GB patch will be almost exclusively graphics/optimizations/geometry fixes which means it might bode well for the sound issues too since that'd fall under the same umbrella I M H O

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also I'm extra loving salty because my Zealot's invuln bugged out and didn't work just when I needed it to rez all my teammates on a full book Skittergate run.

I think I'm reaching the point where I'm too sick of the bugs to play anymore; thankfully the patch coming this week sounds like it'll fix a lot of bullshit so here's to that and back to low quickplay player pools for me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

toasterwarrior posted:

blightstormers really are loving horseshit

also, holy gently caress the start of War Camp on Legend is rough as hell. it's always a god drat shitshow and we've never made it past the second tome-area. Perhaps it's just bad luck, but it's always been like double blightstormers through walls that you can;t shoot and then constant hordes with no places to really fight, and patrol that runs right through there often. Hopefully the geometry fixes also includes fixing Blightstormers because god drat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Xaris posted:

blightstormers really are loving horseshit

also, holy gently caress the start of War Camp on Legend is rough as hell. it's always a god drat shitshow and we've never made it past the second tome-area. Perhaps it's just bad luck, but it's always been like double blightstormers through walls that you can;t shoot and then constant hordes with no places to really fight, and patrol that runs right through there often. Hopefully the geometry fixes also includes fixing Blightstormers because god drat.

The main Norscan camp in Skittergate never fails to be a loving shitshow thanks to Blightstormers for me. Double stormers at the docks, stormer at the cage match with the gatekeeper, stormers loving with LoS in the camp proper. gently caress that area.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

toasterwarrior posted:

The main Norscan camp in Skittergate never fails to be a loving shitshow thanks to Blightstormers for me. Double stormers at the docks, stormer at the cage match with the gatekeeper, stormers loving with LoS in the camp proper. gently caress that area.

Yeah, without fail I get a blightstormer the moment the gatekeeper transforms and the door opens. Every single time, I swear, and it ends up wiping the team more often than not. I actually really like Skittergate as a mission but wow does that one part stress me out.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I would take a L25 talent for Waystalker or Pyromancer that prioritized blightstormers with the homing shots.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

while i'm fully on board with blightstormers being The Worsttm, ever since they slashed their health by a third i've noticed very few problems with them outside of the sneaky double spawns.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

My main issue is when they cast from around a corner, and then beam themselves off somewhere into the skybox by the time I can get a line of sight on them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
there's a number of situations where they have LoS to a point of no return such that it's literally impossible for the party to attack them without taking guaranteed damage, and this situation comes up quite a bit on halescourge and hunger in the dark, and occasionally fort brach. i'd like it more if blightstormers required eyes on a player character before they could commence conjuring. it's what they do most of the time right now, and most of the time they feel fine.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cowcaster posted:

while i'm fully on board with blightstormers being The Worsttm, ever since they slashed their health by a third i've noticed very few problems with them outside of the sneaky double spawns.

I think the only issue with blightstomers now is on very few map locations where they spawn and cast out of sight or they're spawning and no one deals with them properly and you get interruped/pushed forward by a horde so you cant go around the corne to delete it.

Otherwise neither them or leeches are as much of an issue as a fuckin shield vermin. Which I find a bit sad tbh.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hopefully the same issue that affects Ratling Gunners re: wallhacks is part of the problem with Blightstormers, and that the big patch will help make their storms feel just a tad less bullshit.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

haldolium posted:

Otherwise neither them or leeches are as much of an issue as a fuckin shield vermin. Which I find a bit sad tbh.

You can delete the gently caress out of shield vermin with a handgun now, I highly recommend having Sir Kruber or Iron Bardin bring one.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Foehammer posted:

You can delete the gently caress out of shield vermin with a handgun now, I highly recommend having Sir Kruber or Iron Bardin bring one.

Yeah I know, I love that now since I was leveling Kruber 25 to 30 anyways with handgun. But there can be 100+ shieldvermin in a run and only so much stormers or leeches.

I mean yeah, they were awful before and I am glad for the changes. But now they became kind of too weak... I don't think mere spawn/hp balance as it has been done until now would resolve this but actual overthinking their mechanics.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 30, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

toasterwarrior posted:

Hopefully the same issue that affects Ratling Gunners re: wallhacks is part of the problem with Blightstormers, and that the big patch will help make their storms feel just a tad less bullshit.

yea it's the same poo poo

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Honestly just don't play on legends until they start fixing stuff. An emperors chest on champion is on par with a soldiers chest on legend allegedly. You get a faster less stressful run with a higher chance of success so unless you can reliably get a better chest than a soldiers on legend it's not worth it. The burnout rate is insane, i had a ton of good players friend me and now like 70% of them never play anymore because they're sick of the lack of content and bugs.

The next patch is going to be basically beta style fixes and likely a handful of cosmetics. They need to show us numbers before i'll ever trust that poo poo's working like they say it is.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

The burnout rate is insane, i had a ton of good players friend me and now like 70% of them never play anymore because they're sick of the lack of content and bugs.

yeah i noticed the game has taken a huge dump w/r/t player base. The goon discord rarely has a group going on anymore. And friday+saturday night (peak game time) a friend and I were queuing up for Legend and it took about 10 minutes to fill.

still plenty of people playing at champ and vet level tho

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lack of content isn't really the issue here, l4d2 had about as much overall content at launch, really never got more, and was still going very strong years afterward. it's only in the last few months becoming difficult to find expert campaigns in that game.

the bugs are a huge issue because they rob me of agency very frequently, and that's not okay. personally i'm also just getting tired of everyone i run into driving competing lectures and invectives against the faceless 'rest of the player base'. i can't even pub around without every 5th to 7th group having someone mouth off about how everyone around them is a failure because of the ubiquitous inability to x, which is so simple, really, i can't figure out why everyone doesn't do this too. i expect the lectures from goons because just by registering on this forum we're more interested in games than is probably entirely healthy (and yes, i'm including myself in this) but it feels twice as common in this game among goons and it's actively a thing among public players at the legend level, and even this short a time in i'm very sick of it. if we at least had host kick it'd be mitigated because i could host and kick someone who started getting preachy, but i don't even have that so i am frequently forced to listen to a typed or slurred sermon unless i'm willing to just scuttle the party entirely.

hell is other people but boy oh boy does this game throw you into the lower circles without a net.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I only get the lower circles too, but you just have to remind yourself that your crowd control is doing a lot for the team

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

L4D2 also let you be monsters and try and attack people. I think that helped it's staying power a bit.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The fact that they only have 1 cosmetic item for each class is really unforgivable though. Weapon illusions is nice but we were told you could change skins, hats, grab poo poo from levels and decorate the keep. Its super bizarre that they didn't do an early access if the game was this unfinished.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Nerdrock posted:

L4D2 also let you be monsters and try and attack people. I think that helped it's staying power a bit.

one of the blogs pointed out that there's very, very little overlap between versus players and campaign players so one doesn't help the other basically at all. campaign players just have different mindsets than the versus players and they're not playing the same game. that's why i specifically called out expert campaign, since it's most equatable to legend and would ostensibly be the first to go - after you've got your cheevo it's not like there's anything to build up to anymore. but quite the contrary, it was quite active and easy to get whatever game you wanted up until like last january or so.

this seems rather obvious in hindsight which is why i've always been surprised when people bring i tup for vermintide. it fit together super awkwardly then and it'd be even more awkward now.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who favors the Brace of Pistols and can tell me their merits? They seem to do hardly any more vs Infantry damage than a Crossbow and suffer much worse damage dropoff and weakness against Armored. Is their rapid-fire right-click good boss DPS at least?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

There's no reload. They have good accuracy up to mid-long range, and one-shot most specials at close range. They can lay down very high ranged dps as long as the ammo holds out. You can't be that aggressive with them, but when a bad situation crops up, they can do a lot more to help you in a few seconds than a crossbow can. A fully loaded volleybow might be comparable, but the reload on that thing is pretty arduous.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Who favors the Brace of Pistols and can tell me their merits? They seem to do hardly any more vs Infantry damage than a Crossbow and suffer much worse damage dropoff and weakness against Armored. Is their rapid-fire right-click good boss DPS at least?

I've been rolling with a pair that had the "recover ammo on crit" trait, which combined with BH worked out quite well on Champion. That combination together with their large ammo pool means that you have to effectively almost unlimited ammo (assuming you're at least a little bit careful managing Blessed Shots), which pairs well with the fact that you don't need to reload. With Blessed Shot you one-shot most specials including stormvermin, without that it'll take two shots most of the time. You can basically play like a Waystalker lite, using the pistols as your primary most of the time and only switching over to melee whenever the situation calls for it. And yeah, the secondary does respectable damage against bosses in a hurry, especially when combined with a power potion.

I mean, on the whole they're probably still less optimal than either of the crossbows. But they're not an outright handicap like e.g. the axe, and they absolutely do win out in terms of sheer style. Which is obviously the most important factor. :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
oh yeah beat skittergate on legend last week sometime, that sorts out all the easy achievements

time to buckle down and do the really hard ones:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Brace kinda needs scrounger but it is hella underrated with it. It does a shitload of damage compared to vermintide 1 while still having the perfect accuracy on the move and good fire rate.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Coolguye posted:

oh yeah beat skittergate on legend last week sometime, that sorts out all the easy achievements

time to buckle down and do the really hard ones:

I dunno, doesn't really seem worth it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SuperKlaus posted:

I favor Brace of Pistols... on Zealot. Going Brace on BH is strictly loving worse and you're just gimping yourself not taking full advantage of Repeater Pistol/Volley Xbow alt-fire. If someone wants to do it for fun, ok yeah sure I guess, but it's still strictly worse and you're handicapping the team on Legend by not using it.

As Zealot however, it is a perfect complement. No reload means you can always rely on it instead of the "oh gently caress sorry bro that hookrat is killing u, cant shoot him off u, too busy im spending 5minutse reloading this volley xbow". Left click pops pretty much every special in a headshot or worse maybe 2. It's really just that good for his high mobility rampage while carrying your dipshit team to victory by wiping every special off the face of the map. And yes, run 5% Crit and Scrounger, it helps make it last a good 35-40+ shots usually.

Also you have never ever felt pure gleeful joy compared to having a boss spawn next to you at an ammo crate. Just hold M2 and fire pressing E every so often to refill while never ever stop firing for a minute straight as the boss HP just melts away. It's so loving stupid fun and great when that works out. Also fun as hell vs a horde. Most important, they are stylish

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 30, 2018

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Coolguye posted:

one of the blogs pointed out that there's very, very little overlap between versus players and campaign players so one doesn't help the other basically at all. campaign players just have different mindsets than the versus players and they're not playing the same game. that's why i specifically called out expert campaign, since it's most equatable to legend and would ostensibly be the first to go - after you've got your cheevo it's not like there's anything to build up to anymore. but quite the contrary, it was quite active and easy to get whatever game you wanted up until like last january or so.

this seems rather obvious in hindsight which is why i've always been surprised when people bring i tup for vermintide. it fit together super awkwardly then and it'd be even more awkward now.

Since the subject of L4D is on the table.

I have done highest difficulty runs with organized regular groups on L4D2 before. They were quite interesting, but the playstyle and focus is FAR REMOVED from even the difficulty right below it. It's an entirely different way of learning to play the game that resembles how one would be expected to play a SWAT simulation style game than what people think of as L4D. The biggest thing here is, though, that 90% of this is entirely controllable by the players. There select levels that have luck based success on the endings (anything with a gently caress IT AND RUN style finale), but the overwhelming majority of it is focused and controlled. Legends in Rattentide is.. very far from this ideal. Even successful groups do not really handle things in what I would call a focused/controlled manner. Holdout spots don't really function anymore due to a combo of overspawning specials and sheer weight of units or beefiness of a single body. Chokes are useful, but you cannot get attached to them or any specific position. Fighting on the move, even while retreating, is paramount. The most common places to kill a run become drop down points for this reason due to the danger of a horde/boss spawning while you cannot do a fighting retreat but fighting forward is also too risky.

Your previous post also mentions Goons going on fat rants about Legend and if only people could do X, and I confess I do too many myself even if not drunken or slurred. Most of the time I'm just trying to air out ideas for myself because gently caress if I can really tell why things fold on Legend half the time. Champion it's kind of obvious when someone is just really dumb and dragging people down. Legend has the tendency to fold like a cheap lawn chair for mysterious and arcane reasons. I could take a picture of my fully filled map, my reds, and my overlevel count on characters to show how much I play legend. I still don't really know what the gently caress is up with this entire difficulty half the time.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well yeah I didn't think for a microsecond they'd beat out Volleybow on BH. I was thinking of good ol' WHC, who can talent for 30% more ammo. Dummy testing indicates that a Crossbow with 20% more damage from somewhere can body any special on Champion, which is all I could really ask for (not a Legend player and don't see myself there for a while, if ever). 20% is super easy to get from any mix of weapon traits, tagging bonus, and holding a Grim with the talent. Dummy testing was also indicating what I said, that Brace does hardly any more Infantry damage while doing poorly against Armored, and suffers falloff that crossbow doesn't.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Xaris posted:

I favor Brace of Pistols... on Zealot. Going Brace on BH is strictly loving worse and you're just gimping yourself not taking full advantage of Repeater Pistol/Volley Xbow alt-fire. If someone wants to do it for fun, ok yeah sure I guess, but it's still strictly worse and you're handicapping the team on Legend by not using it.

As Zealot however, it is a perfect complement. No reload means you can always rely on it instead of the "oh gently caress sorry bro that hookrat is killing u, cant shoot him off u, too busy im spending 5minutse reloading this volley xbow". Left click pops pretty much every special in a headshot or worse maybe 2. It's really just that good for his high mobility rampage while carrying your dipshit team to victory by wiping every special off the face of the map. And yes, run 5% Crit and Scrounger, it helps make it last a good 35-40+ shots usually.

Also you have never ever felt pure gleeful joy compared to having a boss spawn next to you at an ammo crate. Just hold M2 and fire pressing E every so often to refill while never ever stop firing for a minute straight as the boss HP just melts away. It's so loving stupid fun and great when that works out. Also fun as hell vs a horde. Most important, they are stylish

The BoP just ooze Style, it's a shame they are so piss poor on the BH. I keep going back and forth between the Volly and the Never-Hits-The-loving-Target gun. Can't decide which I like more.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Honestly scrounger should be available on melee weapons because first, it will encourage good game play by making people melee more and second, it will allow more flexibility for ranged weapon traits. At the moment its either swift slaying or nothing because of the way damage regens your ult. Scrounger on melee would also allow way more ranged weapons to be viable on different careers..

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's me, I prefer Brace of Pistols over the Crossbow (not a fan of the repeater and volley because they look lame). Yes, even on BH. No "reload" is great for follow-up shots you have to make, it does a lot of damage and can down most things in one Blessed Shot/crit, hitscan, surprisingly reliable accuracy, and style. Having more ammo as BH is basically an allowance for shooting down Maulers or whatever when Blessed Shot isn't up.

On a related note: apparently the reload talent doesn't work for Kruber's longbow? At least according to reddit? Apparently it's attack speed that affects the rate at which he nocks a new arrow...

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wait, *dealing* damage fills ult bar? I heard that *taking* damage fills it. Are both true? Wow, if true, you're right that it would really kick Resourceful Combatant in the dongliz and make Swift Slaying king. Excepting Ironbreaker, and maybe Foot Knight, where I think Off Balance is just too sweet paired with taunting and blocking powers.

edit: the trouble with Brace versus Volley, at least regarding BH, is it really offers nothing. You refer to shooting down Maulers when Blessed isn't up, but that's exactly what Volley triple bursts do. Much more expeditiously than Brace.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 1, 2018