Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Westworld is the secret prequel to Altered Carbon :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Westworld is the secret prequel to Altered Carbon :tinfoil:

There is an Elder spaceship at the Glory dig site, and the head of the facility is a lady who has the Ghost Nation agnomen Quellcrist Falconer.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sorry if this got answered (I looked five pages back and didn’t see it), but timeline question: we see the guest who was with Bernard and Charlotte the morning after the party when Dolores comes down to the lab. Then we see Dolores meeting Maeve on her way to the Confederados. Didn’t Maeve’s attack/the facility lockdown happen the same night as the party? So why didn’t the lab people the next morning know something had happened?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

When Black Hat William was at the "end" of the narrative, did all the soldiers die because they're programmed to do so? I looked away for a moment and I didn't pick up what happened there...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Brass Key posted:

and while the person that comes out the other end might be indistinguishable from the outside, from the inside... Well, who knows. All the hosts have to do is drop a line to the outside world, say "hey guys, who wants to live forever?", and watch as the world's elites line up to be lobotomized and replaced.

This seems pretty plausible for me. Cylon infiltration season 3

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

tadashi posted:

When Black Hat William was at the "end" of the narrative, did all the soldiers die because they're programmed to do so? I looked away for a moment and I didn't pick up what happened there...

The guy MiB is holding captive says something like "this game is for you, but you have to play alone." and they all shoot themselves in the head.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if elsie isn't back soon I am going to be loving PISSED :cheeky:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ArmZ posted:

if elsie isn't back soon I am going to be loving PISSED :cheeky:

Im pretty sure she will, considering they never showed us a body

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
idk I've got my doubts, they showed Bernie putting her in a chokehold like twice while referencing Ford making him kill people. But the off-screen-ness of it definitely puts it up in the air.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wasn't she revealed to prob be alive in the ARG? her tablet was online somewhere.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The writers confirmed that Elise shows up in the second season at some point, alive and well

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wafflecopper posted:

also, we're two episodes in. The show should be making us ask questions at this stage, because if all the mystery is dispelled in the first two eps then what's even the point

How they deal with the fallout?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

she either died or was kickin' it with ghost nation :unsmith:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DariusLikewise posted:

The writers confirmed that Elise shows up in the second season at some point, alive and well

For varying definitions of alive and well depending on if it’s another flashback or not

Serf
May 5, 2011

i want to see elsie come back because she was fun to watch even though she'll be a bad guy

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Serf posted:

i want to see elsie come back because she was fun to watch even though she'll be a bad guy

elsie and stubbs odd couple buddy cop show ftw

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We keep seeing this red spherical liquid thing forming in promo clips, I'm assuming it's some missing link between ipod Host brains and Folded goop human brains. To create hosts that can't be tested against or something.

a pathogen that only killed humans and left the hosts to pick up after they all died seems too hacky

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Elsie spoiler: IMDB shows that Elsie is in episodes 4 and 5 this season, so even if she is alive, it won’t be for long

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pirate Radar posted:

So why didn’t the lab people the next morning know something had happened?

Security is not one of the strong points at Westworld. Except when it is.

e: Wherever they were wasn't affected by, or informed about, the lockdown that happened at the main Westworld building. :eng99:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 1, 2018

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

Sorry if this got answered (I looked five pages back and didn’t see it), but timeline question: we see the guest who was with Bernard and Charlotte the morning after the party when Dolores comes down to the lab. Then we see Dolores meeting Maeve on her way to the Confederados. Didn’t Maeve’s attack/the facility lockdown happen the same night as the party? So why didn’t the lab people the next morning know something had happened?

I think we can conclude that all the parks are very poorly run and/or are a huge bureaucracy. Remember when Maeve escaped to the train station and there was no urgency whatsoever in getting the guests out despite the breach (the poor guy working the front desk had no idea)? Over the PA you hear that the train departs in 15 minutes or something. Communication between departments or across the park doesn't seem to be their strong suit.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It was confirmed on episode 1 that the park is on an island in China or Im misremembering?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 1, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I think the lovely security and lack of communication works because hubris seems to be a running theme in the show. The park has been running for 30 years without major fuckups beyond the initial host slaughter 30 years ago and that was mostly kept under wraps. The medical techs are routinely loving the hosts so no one sees any real danger with them. They take the hosts are seriously as we take dolls.

When I was in the military we ran drills all the time and people got complacent and hosed up pretty basic stuff, I can only imagine that a bunch of mallcops with minimal training would completely bungle a legitimate emergency.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 1, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It was confirmed that they’re on an island, and it’s speculated that the island is near/owned by China because the Chinese military was there. But it wasn’t explicitly confirmed.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

It was confirmed on episode 1 that the park is on an island in China or Im misremembering?

The Chinese are interfering busybodies who can't help putting their noses wherever they can, especially if they think they may lose 'face' by not doing so.

Imagine if it were a US boat and commander, it could be anywhere.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Somebody mentioned Fallout: New Vegas earlier and now I can't stop thinking about how amazing a really well-designed, well written, open-world Westworld game could be. Roam around the badlands doing schlocky-but-fun cowboy quests, but occasionally something is a liiiiiittle off, and you keep catching glimpses behind the curtain. What are all these subtle references to a Maze...? Wait, your memories seem muddled... Were you a guest, or a host? Maybe it's random, and you won't know for sure until you find that damned door...

Blah blah blah anyway someone go spend like eight years designing a fully voice-acted New Vegas total conversion, and PM me when you're done. TIA

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Well, Season 3 is greenlit now (big surprise), so we'll see for sure where this is supposed to go to a degree.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Elias_Maluco posted:

Near as I can tell there was a split second view of a tablet somewhere which had a set of coordinates. A viewer hit pause, punched in the coordinates and lo and behold: South China Sea. So not explicitly stated but rather a "blink and you'll miss it" bit of information.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

rich thick and creamy posted:

Near as I can tell there was a split second view of a tablet somewhere which had a set of coordinates. A viewer hit pause, punched in the coordinates and lo and behold: South China Sea. So not explicitly stated but rather a "blink and you'll miss it" bit of information.

IIRC they popped up in the Finnish subtitles of the S1 finale.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ArmZ posted:

elsie and stubbs odd couple buddy cop show ftw

Elsie and Stubs solve everything and save everyone but they do it off-screen

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It's also heavily implied by the Chinese Navy attempting to exert jurisdiction, but having a signed contract giving Delos full rights to the island. Any real islands would be too strategically important, so it must be a manufactured island, which suggest the South China Sea where the PRC already has several terraforming projects ongoing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So far I’m enjoying everything except for Dolores’s rampage, which feels super schlocky and I hope there’s a reason for that.

I also can’t shake the feeling that season 1 was such a perfect complete story that none of this really needed to be told, and although it’s fun to see, ultimately it feels somewhere between wheels spinning/stretching for time and directionless. Before, you knew that the endgame was everything falling apart and the hosts achieving sentience, and it was interesting to see how they got to that point. Now we’re left with a scenario that can go anywhere or be stretched out as long as they want, so it seems far less intriguing and more like a typical show.

Of course, this is only episode 2 and I’m fully aware that it’s too early to make these claims for sure.

I’m glad they came up with a solution to not having Hopkins present yet still having monologues from Ford, and the flashback format to show more of the park when it was operational, because these were the two of the most intriguing aspects of season 1.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Stolen from Reddit but... this is probably the absolute worst thing you could have said to Actual Murderer And Angry Loser Teddy Flood.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phuzzy posted:

Stolen from Reddit but... this is probably the absolute worst thing you could have said to Actual Murderer And Angry Loser Teddy Flood.

Yeah, forgot about this but dude definitely wasn't reading the room. My watch party all agreed "I fix you, I'm a doctor! HEALER!!! I HEAL YOU!" would have been much better...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
IT'S JUST A JOKE BRO

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Phuzzy posted:

Aside from "Whenever you come in, I gently caress your corpse"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Elderbean posted:

I think the lovely security and lack of communication works because hubris seems to be a running theme in the show. The park has been running for 30 years without major fuckups beyond the initial host slaughter 30 years ago and that was mostly kept under wraps. The medical techs are routinely loving the hosts so no one sees any real danger with them. They take the hosts are seriously as we take dolls.

When I was in the military we ran drills all the time and people got complacent and hosed up pretty basic stuff, I can only imagine that a bunch of mallcops with minimal training would completely bungle a legitimate emergency.

Seriously, this is a solid point. You even see this in the first episode when a bunch of employees mock security for “wanting to play with their toys”. There’s likely no institutional memory about thirty years ago, so any training they do have is by people who have the knowledge second hand at best.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, forgot about this but dude definitely wasn't reading the room. My watch party all agreed "I fix you, I'm a doctor! HEALER!!! I HEAL YOU!" would have been much better...

Yea, you really gotta read the room in that spot.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I just got an email from Delos, not sure if everybody gets these or if it's just because I went to the SXSW activation but here it is:

(Sorry on my phone or this would be done better)

Attention Delos Employees,

By now, you have heard about the viral outbreak at the parks, and as such, all traffic between the mainland and the island has been suspended. The operating staff at Westworld has assured us that the situation is under control, and we will be doing our part to support them here as they continue to enclose on the contagion. We will not be sending reinforcements at this time. 

Mainland employees, we're asking for your assistance with the following action items:

A gif of the control room that glitches and goes here:
https://www.discoverwestworld.com/#explore

Additional eyes on the ground are needed as Mesa employees are consumed with the disruption. Please make sure that all is as it should be.

A Delos corporate logo that goes here:

http://delosincorporated.com/restricted/

Corporate Research Group employees, please check in immediately.

Then a link to a video about the corporate retreat and an article about gus fring's robot character:

https://youtu.be/su1AyyLaAR4
https://www.hbo.com/westworld/season-2/2-reunion/giancarlo-esposito-season-2-interview

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 2, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Seems to me lying about your reasons for torturing the hosts would be more likely to get you killed. No one likes people who pretend they're one of the good ones rather than owning up to their behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Security is not one of the strong points at Westworld. Except when it is.

e: Wherever they were wasn't affected by, or informed about, the lockdown that happened at the main Westworld building. :eng99:

Sock The Great posted:

I think we can conclude that all the parks are very poorly run and/or are a huge bureaucracy. Remember when Maeve escaped to the train station and there was no urgency whatsoever in getting the guests out despite the breach (the poor guy working the front desk had no idea)? Over the PA you hear that the train departs in 15 minutes or something. Communication between departments or across the park doesn't seem to be their strong suit.

But when Maeve steps off the train, isn’t that the same time as the alerts start actually going off? And when we rejoin her this season, the host rebellion has already made its way through the facility. So we’re meant to think that the mesa is in ruins and the alarms are definitely going off in the main part, but down in the workshop—which we know is connected to the mesa, because of Maeve’s little naked-and-afraid adventure when she woke up suddenly—they’ve been missed so far, they’re oblivious.