Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

EagerSleeper posted:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned this whole thing just being the set up for a surprise party for Koudelka's birthday, and I liked that idea enough to make a comic of it.

xxx

:allears: Fantastic, especially that last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

EagerSleeper posted:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned this whole thing just being the set up for a surprise party for Koudelka's birthday, and I liked that idea enough to make a comic of it.

This is just wonderful. I love this.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XIV: The Vatican Heist

The craziest Halloween ever recorded...at least in Aberystwyth, Wales... and in the year 1898... continues. Before we exit our newest Permanent Save Point, the fated hour is nearly upon us for another special item unlock.

This time we’re shooting for 43 items at 5:55:55. This is actually the last of the special unlocks we’ll be seeing until around the end of the LP. The next item unlock isn’t for another four hours, fourteen minutes and 15 seconds at 10:10:10 playtime. Which is fine by me because pissing away 15-25 minutes to get trinkets for completionist sake isn’t the greatest use of my time I’ve ever run across.

Our reward this go around is “Tamakos Soup”. There isn’t actually a character named “Tamakos” in this game. What they were going for was Tamacoss, the unbaptized baby blob we encountered back in the underground area. Personally, I don’t think I’d feed that thing. It’s probably like a stray cat. Next thing you know it’ll be showing up at your back door step wanting more to eat. Then before you know it you’ll find yourself upset that it got hit by a car crossing the road and it’ll be this whole thing. It’s not worth the trouble.

Tamakos Soup is actually an Elixir, the strongest healing consumable in the game. As per tradition, undoubtedly the player will never use until the credits have already rolled because it needs to be saved just in case of an emergency that will never arrive. They’re nice enough to hand us a couple of these for our effort in time and inventory shenanigans.

Now that the Chimera has been slain, that pesky barrier blocking the way through that hidden wall is open to us. May as well poke around there in hopes of finding somewhere to shove all this glass or make some statue look fabulous.

Our new passage opens up to a “Triangular Hallway” even though it is clearly a gated off exterior path... Someone really needs to give a lesson in architecture to whoever is deciding the names of these temporary save points. Sadly, the gate to the south is locked and climbing a seven foot fence is absolutely out of the question for our trio. Do you picture James climbing anything? Honestly?

Continuing forward, we find ourselves in Nemeton Monastery’s church. About time given the name of the joint... Right smack dab in the middle of the room we can steal liberate another Key Item.

We’ve acquired a commemorative Pope relief. You too can have your very own Limited Edition Pope Relief with a generous donation of $99.99. Only limited supplies are available. Hurry now or you’ll miss out!

Guarding the Pope relief depository, we have this lopsided fella – the Minotauros. There’s a joke to be made about its solitary buff arm, but that would be in poor taste.

Being mostly a skeletal husk with one beefy arm, Minotauros’ solitary ability is just flinging itself at Edward’s face for nominal damage and a tickling of poison. That is... kinda it. It doesn’t have much HP. It’s extremely slow. It quickly died.

Sadly the door at the far end of this hall is only opened by some manner of devious mechanism. A “key” if you will... Perhaps we’ll find such an arcane tool in our travels.

For now, let’s duck into this chapel. A Stained Glass Room, you say? Do you mean we can finally get rid of this collection of assorted glass shards Koudelka has been stuffing into her skirt pockets for half the night?

Hallelujah!

Wait... what do you mean there’s still one more glass piece we have to shove in here. And for that matter, how did we insert those pieces in the first place? That window is like 20 feet tall. Are you telling me the party will scamper up a fifteen foot window to insert a glass shard with no problem, but a seven foot gate is a bridge too far...?

Nothing left to be done in the church at the moment. So let’s head back and clamber up on top of that grandfather clock back in the Library instead.

OK, Koudelka. Use your mad ups to slam dunk that Pope into the hole six feet above you. You can do it, kid!

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!

Although there was already a FMV showing the relief slide away to reveal a passage, we’re treated to the sound of the passage opening with no visible change on our end. We can still see the bricks are there, game... C’mon, son.

So I hope you’re not tone-deaf, otherwise this puzzle might be tricky. As soon as we enter the room, that music box we shoved into our inventory early resonates with the puzzle presented and plays four tones. It’s kind of a lovely music box... The music notes are below.

New Music: Music Box

There are four spaces on the floor that will activate and play a tone if Koudelka steps over them. We need to play the tone in the correct order. Or brute force it if you are of the hearing impaired. It’s only what... twenty-four combinations to try?

The “Music Box” has stopped playing and appears broken. You throw away the “Music Box”.

Thankfully, none of the puzzles in Koudelka are randomized. The solution is the Right, Left, Top, Bottom switches. Then we toss that garbage music box against the wall because gently caress musical puzzles and move on our way to...

The gang strike a pose for their upcoming album cover – Nemeton Heathens. In stores November 25th!

What...? What is that?

Err... it’s a coffin, Edward. It’s like the least weird thing we’ve seen in quite some time. Granted, I couldn’t tell you why it’s in a hidden chamber above a huge clock in a library that is barred by a Pope key and a music box puzzle. But still...

Koudelka has a line here but it’s almost completely muted and for the life of me I cannot make it out, even turning up the volume 400% and cleaning up the audio. I guess it’s not too important as nobody responds.

In any case, Edward has already murdered a man tonight. Grave robbing isn’t much of a step down in crimes. He’s more than happy to bust into the coffin to see if there’s anything interesting inside.

Sorry pal. There is, in fact, just a corpse in this coffin. A shocking revelation, I know.

...Is that just a mummy? Tch. Cross your fingers...
That was disappointing...
I am surrounded by degenerates...

Everyone seems extremely bummed out there’s just a corpse in that coffin. I’m not sure what else they were expecting to find. They should be happen it hasn’t popped up an—

AWW poo poo!

HOLY SAVIOR! The secret of the Formors from the bottom of the sea...

Émigré!

BARF! <dies>
So did we win that fight?
...What?
I didn’t punch it but... I think we won?
Ergh... Yes, Edward. You won. Very good.
<nods> I showed it alright.

<runs to corpse> Did you say Émigré Document? What do you know about the Émigré Document!? Where is it!? Answer me!
Émigré Document? Is that what you have been looking for...?!
That mummy... thing... didn’t even say the “document” part.
<ignores Edward and starts walking quickly away>

Hey, you crotchety old fart! I'm sick of this!
<paces about and rests on fireplace>
You don’t want to talk? Fiiiiine. I'll slit your holy throat and leave your body for the rats!
Edward...
Cool it.

I have no choice... Here it is: I am on instructions direct from the Vatican. There is a manuscript. It’s said to be somewhere in the building.
And that manuscript is...?
Right... It’s called the Émigré Document.

Music: Requiem

Is it very important?
I wouldn’t still be in this awful land with this terrible company were it not.
Fair poin—hey!

For hundreds of years it was kept deep inside the Vatican Library. No one was allowed to read it. In fact, many people thought it didn't even exist.
That's weird... So why is it here now?
Somebody stole it.
Stolen...? From the Vatican?
Right.
No way... How many people could steal a thing like that from the Vatican?
Don’t they have like Swiss wizards there or something like that?
The Swiss Guard doesn’t practice wizardry to my knowledge. Still...

You really have to know the place or have enough money... According to our secret investigation, however, the wealthy gentleman who purchased this monastery bribed someone in the Vatican to steal the Emigre Document for him.
Wealthy gentleman...?

Yes... Patrick Heyworth...
<long sigh> My friend...
But it is not like it was priceless art or something. Why would he be interested in a thing like that?
For years Patrick has dabbled in mysticism and alchemy. He's on the brink of crossing the line and playing God.
“Playing God”?
Creating life, Edward. It is thought that the ancient Druids' forbidden secrets on eternal life and resurrecting the dead are contained in the Émigré Document.
I can't believe that.
I mean... have you seen the monsters we’ve been dealing with here, Koudelka?
That corpse did just sit up and spark this conversation...
But Druids...? Really? That’s too corny for me.

Of course it's just silly superstition. That is why I am here. To try to convince Patrick to drop his dangerous experiments and return the Émigré Document to the Vatican.

Wow... You'd never guess a lunatic like that was living here by looking at the place.
Maybe a vampire or a satanic cult. I would not have picked a rogue alchemist. Seems kind of...
Lame?
Lame.

According to the caretakers, he lives in the building next to the temple.
They said that?
Yes, they're terrified. With all the crazy things going on around here now... They haven't even seen Patrick, yet they feel indebted to him. They’ve asked me here to see if I can save him.
So you’re saying they don’t give *that* much of a crap about this guy, huh?
<glares>

<snorts> So that's your story?
I dunno... One more mystery that needs unraveling...

A mystery it is... Except we almost certainly saw that guy get fragged in that early cutscene about that Elaine lady and alchemy. Oh well, James doesn't know that. Tune in next time as this bogus Halloween draws to a close alongside Disc 2 of Koudelka. There definitely won’t be any unwinnable boss battles or single character dungeons involved in the near future. That’d be completely irresponsible!

Video: Episode 14 Highlight Reel
(You should probably watch this.)

Nemeton Monastery Concept Art – When do we explore that tiny baby house on the far right side?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 2, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh poo poo, is that Roger Bacon? I'm so glad he managed to show up for this game, too

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Bout time we got some Shadow Hearts connections up in this business. And I had no idea they would reference the recurring baby monster as a loving soup item. Who the hell would even eat that?

The Dark Id posted:

So I hope you’re not tone death, otherwise this puzzle might be tricky.

Should be tone-deaf.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

The Dark Id posted:

So I hope you’re not tone death, otherwise ...

Although tone deathness sounds like something a cheesy survival horror game would come up with, I'm fairly certain you intended to type tone-deaf.

e:f,b

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shitenshi posted:

And I had no idea they would reference the recurring baby monster as a loving soup item. Who the hell would even eat that?

That's entirely consistent with a lot of the other things the Shadow Hearts series did.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, in Shadow Hearts' timeline, I'm pretty sure the vatican does in fact have its own elite wizards or someshit. They're probably also ninjas.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Mysteries involving druids, you say...?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Roger Bacon is probably the best thing about the Shadow Hearts games.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

These are some hella shoujo legs for 1898 Wales.

quote:

Koudelka has a line here but it’s almost completely muted and for the life of me I cannot make it out, even turning up the volume 400% and cleaning up the audio. I guess it’s not too important as nobody responds.

The only thing I can make out is "Seems like a--" and then the rest is undecipherable to me. Pastor went? Passionate? Pashewwhit? Petulant? Penitent? :iiam:

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
>Koudelka has a line here but it’s almost completely muted and for the life of me I cannot make it out, even turning up the volume 400% and cleaning up the audio. I guess it’s not too important as nobody responds.

It's not even in the recorded script, so you're not alone.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/197752-koudelka/faqs/48002 (Yes, there are spoilers, goobers.)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Koudelka's expression in the third-to-last panel.

Well done. :allears:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Andyzero posted:

>Koudelka has a line here but it’s almost completely muted and for the life of me I cannot make it out, even turning up the volume 400% and cleaning up the audio. I guess it’s not too important as nobody responds.

It's not even in the recorded script, so you're not alone.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/197752-koudelka/faqs/48002 (Yes, there are spoilers, goobers.)

I feel like she's saying 'seems like a pass something something'
Or it could just be the voices of ghosts

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Her missing line is only in the English audio versions. In the non-English dubs she says something about "Oh, looks like a casket" and things along those lines.

It could be either; "Seems outta place, a bit." or "Seems there's a pressure within it."
But it's pointless either way, because it's so hard to hear, and doesn't contribute to anything.

Also, yeah, awesome mummy dude and Emigre Document. :dance:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

seems like some peas and carrots

Pizuz
Sep 15, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

Bout time we got some Shadow Hearts connections up in this business.

There's quite a few, actually. Depending on the games you played, it should already (at this point in the LP) have been two characters, one location and a bunch of monsters.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XV: The Passing of Another Day

Well that was weird. If you’re familiar with the Shadow Hearts series, the Émigré Document might be a somewhat important manuscript in that series. Additionally, that mummy might look a touch familiar. But that’d be jumping ahead in Koudelka’s narrative. So we’ll refrain from touching on those further. Instead let’s grab that junk on the floor!

Wouldn’t you know it? It’s the final stained glass piece for that window in the church. That’s all of interest in this room. Koudelka has no further comment on the shriveled up corpse that just sat up and rambled for a bit nor does she hold any interest in the rest of the room.

Now that we have the final glass piece, there’s no sense in holding onto it. Let’s just have Koudelka spike the shard back into the window, repairing it instantly. That’s how glass works, right?

Not only do we unlock the door back in the Nave hallway, we also obtain the Greek letters to that locked chest we saw earlier. Like that locked chest with the Guard’s Diary back in Disc 1, this might be one of the few things Koudelka has which resembles a sidequest. Don’t worry too much about memorizing those characters or where they appear on the window...

Returning to this cabinet is entirely optional. But it does partially dictate the outcome of a certain grump ghost child’s storyline. Investigating this box will skip an unique boss battle and scene. Likewise, it’s not essential we check this out right now.

With that in mind, I didn’t mention writing down those Greek letters for this code. There’s a good reason for that...

There isn’t actually any puzzle here. The code is automatically input for us. I’m honestly not entirely sure why. I mean you’d clearly need to match the Greek letters with where they appeared on the grid covering the stained glass window. If I had to guess, the art department was doing all background and detail options pre-rendered. This puzzle would require either making actual 3D models to slide around or pre-rendering every possible combination of the tiles shifted. Both of which is kind of a waste of resources for a very simple puzzle for optional content. Who knows? In any case, inside we discover...

The box has “Happy Birthday” written on it and holds a corsage of dried flowers that crumble when you touch them. The letters are all signed “Sophia D’Lota”.

Investigating this chest inserts Sophia’s Letters into our Read menu. Sit back and get ready for some lore...

Letter #1

My Dearest Daughter Charlotte,

As I sit in silence struggling to write this letter to you in English, I sense the arrival of winter is near at Arden Castle. I feel it makes me a bad mother since I am unable to make you happy. I cannot lament enough how my selfish affair has entangled so many people, including you, my dear, who were sent to Wales to encounter many sorrowful experiences.

I probably will never see you, nor your brother nor your sister again. But one thing that will not change is that you are my beloved daughter. You are the daughter of the man whom I loved from the bottom of my heart, Phillip Christopher. I am sure you must resemble him greatly. You were blessed when you were born, and that you are still alive is testament to that fact.

I often wonder what the color of your eyes is, and how it would feel to run my hands through your hair. I can't help but to dream about the day I meet you, although deep down inside I know that day will never come. We might be far away in distance, but we are always together in my heart.

Please take good care of yourself.

Your mother,
Sophia D'Lota

Letter #2

My Dearest Daughter Charlotte,

Five summers have already passed since you entered this world. I think I must have written over 20 letters now. Despite my poor penmanship, how happy it makes me to know that my feelings are being conveyed to you.

I wonder what I should tell you today. I think I will talk about your father. Your father, Phillip Christopher, is a son of Count Von Koenismark, Sweden's Artillery Inspector General. Your father was a childhood friend of mine, and I am the daughter of a Duke. Unfortunately, Phillip and I eventually had to part. Due to the inevitable circumstances of our country, an arrangement was made so that I was to marry and be queen to Count Hannover and spend days filled with hardship. It was your father who came into my life again and saved me. Your father and I spent many years loving each other.

It's a fact that I fell in love with somebody, although I was already married. Some would call that a secretive affair, but our love is genuine and pure, especially when compared with the marriage arrangement with Count Hannover, which was stained with politics and power.

Please forgive your foolish mother.

Your mother,
Sophia D'Lota

Letter #3

My dearest Daughter Charlotte,

Please allow me to celebrate your 12th birthday with you. May God's blessings and grace be with you.

What would you like for your birthday? Would you like a raspberry cake? I should like to get you a beautiful dress along with a golden hair ornament and brooch. I want to braid happiness into each loop of your hair. Then you could dance in the Court like a precious jewel.

My dear Charlotte, are you well? I hope you haven't become sick. I only wish to make you happy even if I have to sacrifice my own life. Is that a wish that cannot be granted? I would like very much to get to know you. Even if it's only a glance, I want to see how you've grown up. There isn't a day that goes by that I do not pray for your well-being. I try not to lament, but...

I love you from the bottom of my heart.

Your mother,
Sophia D'Lota

Sophia D’Lota is supposed to be Sophia Dorothea of Celle, the wife (and first cousin) of King George I. She allegedly had an affair with the Swedish count Philip Christoph von Königsmarck which came to light via a series of discovered love letters and a couple of attempts to skip town. Guess she had a thing for writing... This resulted in George I having Königsmarck abducted and almost certainly ganked by assassins and Sophia getting imprisoned in Aldhen Castle for the last thirty years of her life. George I went on to have a poo poo load of mistresses because surprise – Kings of Britain were all huge dicks.

The Shadow Hearts series enjoys taking vaguely historic events and adding some JRPG spice to them. Like a lovechild of this historic affair being sent to Wales and ending up a very pissy ghost girl. In any case, this series of letters is the first of two requirements for getting the Good Ending to Charlotte's storyline. But that's a ways down the road

That’s it for our history lesson and this brief sidequest. We could continue onward to the church proper and see what’s beyond that newly opened door. But the end of Disc 2 is arriving and it might behoove us to beef up Koudelka a bit before gathering our party and venturing forth.

So as not to power level too much, I made a trek back to Vigna and Valna to train all of Koudelka’s offensive spells to Level 2 with Flare making it to Level 3 to add some spice. James also got Heal to Level 2 and all of his important Fortify abilities (Strength/Intelligence/Agility) to at least Level 2-3. So that should have us set for a decent time.

Now then, back on track. We find ourselves in the main hall of the church. This isn’t a huge area. But it is home to a few new enemies we may as well check out before closing off Disc 2.

Music: Waterfall

Ravens are hanging out on the church grounds. They peck multiple times in a row. It stings a bit, I suppose. Being just a regular rear end, albeit really mean, bird they go down very quickly to just about anything. You ever punched a bird? Total glass beaks.

Commonly hanging out with Ravens we have Wights. Not to be confused with the zombies, skeletons or exploded walking corpses. These are their own undead things. Wights just kind of shamble along and smack folks (and by folks I mean Edward) with poisonous slaps. And... that’s kind of it. What more do you want out of an undead lady?

Lastly, we have these creepy shambling little things. These are Chikon, apparently. They’re extremely weak and can only manage to occasionally fire off a Hadoken when threatened. While they themselves aren’t much of a threat, they do drop a nice little goodie...

A Rosario. This accessory offers 8 Intelligence, 6 PIE and 10 Mind. Not a bad boost for magic users. Managed to get a couple of these so Koudelka got one and traded down Bessy’s Ring to James. Edward also got one as well so he can gain a little bit of additional magic attack protection in the future.

Music: ENDS

The Nemeton Monastery church is in quite the disarray. It’s important to pay attention to Koudelka’s head as she’s investigating the clutter. Completely invisible to the player but seen by her neck turning to face it, there’s a weapon here that will be lost forever if we don’t pick it up now.

It’s the Shotgun 2 – the sequel to the Shotgun. What’s that? You never saw the first Shotgun? Ehh... It’s alright. The prologue for Shotgun 2 has an opening crawl that cover everything you missed in Shotgun: Origins. But on a more serious note, the Shotgun 2 refers to the number of shells it is loaded with at a time. This being a double barrel shotgun means it has two shots before it needs to be reloaded. Which ain't great... Additionally, Shotguns take their own ammunition apart from Pistol and Rifle bullets. Ya know, since we needed more inventory clutter.

Tucking away our newfound boomstick and continuing onward, the far end of the church has nothing of note. But we do receive a rather ominous message. Guess we’ll just have to investigate the other end of the chapel to see what’s causing a ruckus behind us.

A caved in gateway. That’s less than helpful. Though there does seem to be a hole in the rubble that maybe a person could squeeze through...

...You know what? On second thought, let’s not try squeezing into the room full of writhing barbed plant vines. I know to avoid a Plant 42 when I see it.

Yeah... yeah gonna say a plant getting pissed and slamming on a wall repeatedly is probably a bad sign in most cases. I don’t think we’re going to gain a bearded dad with a flamethrower to sort this out if we got into a jam...

However, an unusual plant blocks you from going further.

Welp. No use going that way. Seems like the church is a bust. Except when we venture back towards the center of the chapel...

<looks around> What the--!? What’s that bell!?

Just the passing of another day.
Geez. November already? This year is flying by...

Oh no! Today’s All Saints’ Day!

Aww beans... A little known fact about the Catholic faith: all their churches open a portal to the Hell Dimension at precisely midnight on November 1st. They try to keep that little quirk to the religion under wraps. But every once in a while it causes some serious issues to some unfortunate travelers. Unfortunately, the gang had the rotten luck of bumbling in just at the wrong time.

The spiritual energy is coming together. What power. It’s like...

A monster...
Is that all? Pfft. It’s not like we haven’t handled a bunch of monsters alrea—

Frick!

Our trio gets launched a good twenty feet. Considering everything else in the chapel gets utterly flattened, I think they got off easy... Somehow Koudelka manages to get flung in the complete opposite direction of Edward and James, despite the fact they were all standing right next to each other a moment earlier. Demonic energy forces are just volatile like that.

In any case, a devilman is here and he doesn’t seem too thrilled to be in Wales. Really, who can blame him?

<shakes head> What...? What’s happening!?

This can’t be...
OK... It doesn’t seem like it’s moving. Maybe it’s dead? Did we win...?
I am not so sure...
I bet you were all worried. What’s All Saints’ Day got to do with a mo—

<looks in Edward’s direction>

gently caress. THAT! <immediately hauls rear end>

Jesus CHRIST!

And so our heroic duo of Edward and James loving bolt back out of the chapel, just narrowly action rolling to safety in order to avoid a demonic shoulder check from their new acquaintance.

<pants> That was a close one. That thing meant business.
...I feel like we’re forgetting something.
The heathen...
Tch. What? Did you bang your head? I’m right here, Father Jag-off.
The other heathen...
Oh sh—

No! Koudelka!

Whoops! Leaving a third of your party behind. That’s a real gaffe. Ed and Jim must feel quite the fools right now.

Oh well, I’m sure Koudelka can handle one measly little inter-dimensional demon. I mean she has Flare Level 3 now. That’s got to count for something!

Music: Incantation Again

I guess we’ll find out as we’re immediately tossed into a battle with the Gargoyle -- the Disc 2 Endboss. Though calling it a “boss” at this juncture is really stretching the definition. This is an unwinnable boss battle. But not the sort where Koudelka needs to get stomped in order to progress.

Instead, the Gargoyle has a flawless defense and will evade any and all attacks against it, magical or physical, much like Valna and Vigna. Likewise, the demon just kinda... hangs out there doing nothing. It can attack and does a good 700+ HP of damage. But after four minutes of just hanging out attacking it non-stop it opted to strike Koudelka all of once.

Our only real option in this battle is escaping to fight another day. Turns out Edward and James had the right idea all along.

Music: ENDS

The Gargoyle smashed open one of the locked doors into the Nemeton Monastery Church, so Koudelka flees in a different direction from the boys into uncharted territory. What mysteries might she find on the far side of the church grounds?

Why the end of Disc 2, naturally. Yeah... it just ends abruptly at the screen transition at the bottom of the stairs in the previous screen. And I you thought the Disc 1 ending was unceremonious. Tune in next time as our heroine begins her solo RPG adventurer career for the foreseeable future as Disc 3 of Koudelka begins!

Video: Episode 15 Highlight Reel
(You should definitely watch this.)

Edward Plunkett Concept Art – Doing his best sassy pose to hide the big geeky backpack he’s wearing.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 6, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Considering this is the same castle where people disappeared off to be tortured for the rest of their days because they were a threat to the powers that be, that mother is way too casual with her daughter in the letters. Ghost girl must have seen stuff that would rival the likes of Manah and Seere's backgrounds.

Then again, we've already seen the TamacossWatchers clearly taking a day off as a minor encounter. So maybe it's not so bad.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
The Gargoyle is another of the repeat monsters in Shadow Hearts. It shows up as the first boss in Covenant. It may also be in the first one but I haven't played that as recently.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

But on a more serious note, the Shotgun 2 refers to the number of shells it is loaded with at a time.

I was hoping that it meant there was a Shotgun Prime, or True Shotgun or something that meant not that we missed one, but the first one would be the superior version.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Shotgunaga in the remaster.

SKBasis
Oct 27, 2007

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a hamster balancing Kirby on a parasol -- forever.
College Slice

The Dark Id posted:

There isn’t actually any puzzle here. The code is automatically input for us. I’m honestly not entirely sure why. I mean you’d clearly need to match the Greek letters with where they appeared on the grid covering the stained glass window.

Don't know enough about this game to say if this counts as a spoiler or not, but θυσία is Greek for "sacrifice".

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Shitenshi posted:

Considering this is the same castle where people disappeared off to be tortured for the rest of their days because they were a threat to the powers that be, that mother is way too casual with her daughter in the letters. Ghost girl must have seen stuff that would rival the likes of Manah and Seere's backgrounds.

Then again, we've already seen the TamacossWatchers clearly taking a day off as a minor encounter. So maybe it's not so bad.

Well to be fair they probably told her that this place the equivalent of a farm upstate where she can laugh and play all day and not that they're sending her illegitimate newborn child to a medieval torture dungeon.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Finally the truth about the catholic church revealed

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I love that Edward just runs past James there without caring if he ends up as gargoyle chow. A real hero, that guy. :allears:

Shitenshi posted:

Since it seems Charlotte lived up to the age of 12, maybe the people in charge of the torture dungeon were the ones who raised her? That might explain why she's got that fancy bow and dress.

Maybe they just locked the kid in a wing of the monastery that's not used for torturing people, or maybe they showed her around the place to teach her torturing as a business.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

“It’s a real growth sector but you have to get in on the ground floor”

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

For a monastery we haven't seen anything written by actual monks and more torture craziness instead.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Given the torture, only monk we're likely to see is Torquemada.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

amigolupus posted:

Since it seems Charlotte lived up to the age of 12, maybe the people in charge of the torture dungeon were the ones who raised her? That might explain why she's got that fancy bow and dress.

The Dark Id posted:

Yes. I died here too. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago. They locked me up in here right after I was born. They beheaded me the day I turned nine. Happy birthday... I’ve been trapped here ever since. And nobody even knows who I am. Hehe!

Happy birthday! :thermidor:

SKBasis posted:

Don't know enough about this game to say if this counts as a spoiler or not, but θυσία is Greek for "sacrifice".

Relatedly, the other words are (assuming I'm reading it right):
θεό - Theo
νυξ - Nyx
σας - Sas
οις - Hois
ωρα - Hora

Dunno if that makes a sentence together. :shrug:
To echo TDI, it's odd that they didn't make an actual puzzle out of it - just do what they do normally and don't let Koudelka interact with it until she's got all the glass pieces, if they didn't want the player to brute force it. Maybe they ran out of time, or were too focused on their weirdly deep combat system.

The only other thing to add is the headers TDI has used for Sophia D'Lota's letters are another unused item picture.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 5, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Given the torture, only monk we're likely to see is Torquemada.

Nobody expects... Th-Mel Brooks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnF1OtP2Svk

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
No "run" to his allies or anything out of Edward. Just bolting for the nearest door right past everyone else. What a hero. :allears:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So James seems to know bad things are gonna happen during the bell scene, if a bit too late. Is it just an annual Catholic church issue that every All Saints' Day is accompanied by a demonic portal in every cathedral on the planet? Do they normally have elite priest combat teams stationed to take care of this?

The Dark Id posted:

It can attack and does a good +00+ HP of damage.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zagglezig posted:

So James seems to know bad things are gonna happen during the bell scene, if a bit too late. Is it just an annual Catholic church issue that every All Saints' Day is accompanied by a demonic portal in every cathedral on the planet? Do they normally have elite priest combat teams stationed to take care of this?

Yes.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Why does this happen on All Saints' Day, one of the most holy days of the year, and not, you know, Halloween, the day before?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Because much like SMT, Shadow Hearts has a habit of it turning out that saints and the church are actually huge assholes and not people you should like.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sigh... no, Shadow Hearts and related do not do that by and large. Certain entities with certain names are spelled out to not actually be what the names imply they are. Similarly, the Vatican is mostly fair.

I'll actually answer the question.

Epicmissingno posted:

Why does this happen on All Saints' Day, one of the most holy days of the year, and not, you know, Halloween, the day before?

It's not that it happens on "All-Saints Day" in and of itself. It's that midnight, 00:00 All-Saints' Day, is the exact boundary between Halloween Night and All-Saints. The logic goes that, at exactly 00:00, evil is strongest. After that, as the day more fully transitions into All-Saints, they get weaker.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 6, 2018

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Tallgeese posted:

Sigh... no, Shadow Hearts and related do not do that by and large. Certain entities with certain names are spelled out to not actually be what the names imply they are. Similarly, the Vatican is mostly fair.

I'll actually answer the question.

It's not that it happens on "All-Saints Day" in and of itself. It's that midnight, 00:00 All-Saints' Day, is the exact boundary between Halloween Night and All-Saints. The logic goes that, at exactly 00:00, evil is strongest. After that, as the day more fully transitions into All-Saints, they get weaker.

You'd think noon on Halloween would be the strongest point for evil, then good and evil would be equal at the transition point (midnight).

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Halloween starts at baseline evil, peaks at midnight but then at 12:01 good starts growing until it peaks at all saints midnight followed by return to baseline!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Alaan posted:

Halloween starts at baseline evil, peaks at midnight but then at 12:01 good starts growing until it peaks at all saints midnight followed by return to baseline!

So 2 whole discs of everything getting better and people are redeemed, James has his faith in humanity revived, and the caretakers are unmasked as the Harlem Globetrotters using a fog machine and a projector to make all the crazy upsidedown corpse monsters and bloody holy water fonts?

• Locked thread