Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

GrandpaPants posted:

What the gently caress? Do...do people actually talk like this...?

People on RPGcodex do, and that is actually pretty mild considering the amount of racism and homophobia that gets posted there.
Funnily enough, the other day people there were openly confused about why there aren't more Obsidian developers that post in the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Overrated writer cries to arena of sycophants, who cares

I'm trying to figure out how rogue wizard synergize best, I'm thinking about just taking the magic that lets you go invisible or stuns enemies and then sneak attack forever???

Fun things you can do with a wizard/rogue include:

- Backstab with Concelhaut's Draining Touch. In Deadfire, Draining Touch is a summoned weapon that lasts only for one attack, but has higher base weapon damage than two-handed weapons. Backstab happens to be one of the few ways to make it useful.

- Surprise Finishing Blow. Dual pistols/blunderbusses can do wonders with this.

- Use Escape for mobility, so you can use it to do stuff like jump behind enemies and hit them all with Fan of Flames or any of the other spells that are normally hard for the typical wizard to make use of.

- Use the rod's modal to turn rogue attack abilities into AoEs! Debilitating Strike is noteworthy because the secondary roll targets fortitude, but causes two reflex-reducing afflictions (-20 reflex total), so you can use it to set up for fireball or other reflex-targeting spells.

Octo1 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 2, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can’t remember but did we get fishing in the game?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Incredibly funny to me that Eric and Chris are airing this poo poo out while the RPG Codex posters openly speculate about their haplogroups and discuss the evolutionary psychology of German-Americans

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

chaosapiant posted:

I can’t remember but did we get fishing in the game?

Fell short of that stretch goal on Fig.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Don't let bongwizard know.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
I want to hear bongwizzards opinion on the romance sword, tbh

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Avalerion posted:

I hope it’s soulbound - are those still considered “universal” as far as talents are concerned?

I don't believe there are any universal weapons in Deadfire anymore. Both soulbound and summoned weapons now correspond to their specific proficiency.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hearing some rumours that Avellone not only created this "Josh Sawyer" person, but Obsidian itself is a fictional entity that he created for his portfolio following the demise of Black Isle, but things have gotten a bit out of his control.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

As someone who has liked Avellone's stuff I am a little sad this is how I'm gonna remember him after he never gets work outside of small indies again because lol if you think a major corporation is gonna hire someone that does this.

Of course the biggest shame is the lack of fishing. Every game needs a fishing minigame/sidequest.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I don't know Chris Avellone personally. I like some of his writing.

Dude writes like a melodramatic teenager who just read a Sandman comic for the first time, so I am totally ready to believe he is like that irl as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't believe there are any universal weapons in Deadfire anymore. Both soulbound and summoned weapons now correspond to their specific proficiency.

On the other hand though proficiency just gives access to the modal, there's no to-hit penalty ect.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Unless you’re a fighter. They have several +damage with proficient weapons skills. I think they’re the only ones though?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I've been trying to get through PoE1 for a while, but I can never be happy with a background / class choice. I want to play Cipher, but the glowy head irritates me and I don't feel they 'fit' with the story (this is a personal problem, though) of the Watcher and stuff.

What class should I just pick and go through with, as a everyman? I was thinking just Warrior and then Multiclassing to Wizard for Battlemage in Deadfire, for a jack-of-all-trades? Any suggestions to help my brainbroke finally make a choice'd be cool.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Inverness posted:

Can the AI still not automatically avoid detected traps?

If one member of my party finds a trap, do they just pretend they didn't see it and not tell anyone?

As soon as a trap is detected it should be avoided by any pathing. Any paths in progress should be recalculated to avoid the trap.

The original game still has pathing so rough that characters will get stuck trying to circle around things and clip their models into a boundary until it starts vibrating while they freeze up and take no actions rather than try walking the other direction

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

CottonWolf posted:

Unless you’re a fighter. They have several +damage with proficient weapons skills. I think they’re the only ones though?

Barbarian has a +accuracy with proficient weapons skill. That is it, though.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

corn in the bible posted:

I have trouble understanding how someone could play PoE and want more of it

e: this came off the wrong way, I didn't mean PoE was terrible, just that it was kind of unremarkable and I'm surprised people are so into it.

I feel the same way about Ubisoft climb the tower to unlock the map games and last of us esque feels dad simulators.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

corn in the bible posted:

I just still don't get why Obsidian, given the freedom to work on anything anyone could imagine, came up with Traditional Fantasy RTWP RPG. Now we've got PoE, too--we don't need a followup. I wish they would do something different and new instead of just trying to make Baldur's Gate but it's on a boat now.

I will probably still play Deadfire and maybe like it but I want Obsidian to make something interesting again drat it

e: I don't mean PoE is awful or anything, just kind of bland. They have a way more interesting setting with Tyranny if they really want to do fantasy for some reason.

Tyranny is thousands of times more boring than this. Oh man another grimdark setting that's so badass and filled with torture and evil. Yawn.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I hope today people can learn that their own tastes aren't objective metrics of quality

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

frajaq posted:

Oh man he's showing the dirt on Eric Fenstermaker now.

I think this is getting out of hand, Avellone

Him calling shadow of mordor and horizon zero dawn "bigger and better things" than new vegas is the funniest poo poo I've seen from Chris yet

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

Dude writes like a melodramatic teenager who just read a Sandman comic for the first time, so I am totally ready to believe he is like that irl as well.

Hey now, at least Sandman was optimistic. Chris is just really cranky these days. The whole point of Ulysses in Fallout New Vegas was Chris getting salty about how the wasteland is too civilized and needs another apocalypse so it’s like Fallout 1 again. Hence Ulysses trying to nuke the NCR and to really salt the earth Chris added the dumb poo poo about Tunnelers and how they’ll wipe out the Mojave because mankind can’t deal with a pest that’s afraid of fire and dies to machine gun fire.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Your Parents posted:

Tyranny is thousands of times more boring than this. Oh man another grimdark setting that's so badass and filled with torture and evil. Yawn.

Tyranny has cool lore though

Your Parents posted:

Him calling shadow of mordor and horizon zero dawn "bigger and better things" than new vegas is the funniest poo poo I've seen from Chris yet

I mean he's not wrong that they're bigger. Outside of my own fondness for New Vegas I don't know if I'd say he's really wrong to say "better" either. Plus he probably means better in terms of the companies he's working for

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Your Parents posted:

I hope today people can learn that their own tastes aren't objective metrics of quality

God I talked poo poo on Al Green once 10 years ago and you just never let me live it down, huh?

A Sometimes Food posted:

As someone who has liked Avellone's stuff I am a little sad this is how I'm gonna remember him after he never gets work outside of small indies again because lol if you think a major corporation is gonna hire someone that does this.

I mean it's currently confined to two relatively insular forums so nobody important will even notice unless it ends up on an actual news site or Important Game Person twitter.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I've gotten kind of tired of dark and edgy fantasy settings that force "hard moral choices" these days. Because you know what? At the end of the day, all most of them are, and I'll include Dragon Age in this, is settings where the paranoid fever dreams of "race realists" and fascists world wide are literally true. The minorities REALLY ARE intrinsically threatening to white society! The Other really is biologically inferior in some way! They're only hard moral choices because we're coming at them from an outside perspective, not an inside perspective where in many of these garbage settings genocide is rational and even advisable in many cases.

Maybe that's contributing to why places like RPG Codex exist in the manner that they do. :shrug:

This is one of the reasons I appreciate Pillars is because there is no The Elven Nation and all elves don't naturally swear allegiance to The Elven Nation. There are many races in game but that's generally far less important than where you're from.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 2, 2018

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Your Parents posted:

tbf, horizon is excellently written. If someone from the Oblivion team left to help craft that story, then it's absolutely a blow to Obsidians writing team, and it would back up Avellones assertion that he's a good writer.

Airing dirty laundry in the PoE thread is probably not a smart move either and we all should probably drop it. The game comes out in a week, I haven't finished my current playthrough, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with my imported monk.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SunAndSpring posted:

Hey now, at least Sandman was optimistic. Chris is just really cranky these days. The whole point of Ulysses in Fallout New Vegas was Chris getting salty about how the wasteland is too civilized and needs another apocalypse so it’s like Fallout 1 again. Hence Ulysses trying to nuke the NCR and to really salt the earth Chris added the dumb poo poo about Tunnelers and how they’ll wipe out the Mojave because mankind can’t deal with a pest that’s afraid of fire and dies to machine gun fire.

Ulysses is the villain you beat, thus rejecting his ideology and affirming yours as superior. Ulysses saying the Tunnelers will wipe out the Mojave is setup, and the payoff is them being too afraid to mess with you after you kill their queen. The implication is that the Mojave will be safe because the tunnelers will stay away from the Courier's territory

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I like that pillars is loaded with hard moral choices that reflect real world issues but it's just subtle and smart about it instead of "the overlord wishes for you to murder a village. Y/N"

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Horizon Zero Dawn is a very good game and did very well commercially.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've gotten kind of tired of dark and edgy fantasy settings that force "hard moral choices" these days. Because you know what? At the end of the day, all most of them are, and I'll include Dragon Age in this, is settings where the paranoid fever dreams of "race realists" and fascists world wide are literally true. The minorities REALLY ARE intrinsically threatening to white society! The Other really is biologically inferior in some way! They're only hard moral choices because we're coming at them from an outside perspective, not an inside perspective where in many of these garbage settings genocide is rational and even advisable in many cases.

Maybe that's contributing to why places like RPG Codex exist in the manner that they do. :shrug:

This is one of the reasons I appreciate Pillars is because there is no The Elven Nation and all elves don't naturally swear allegiance to The Elven Nation. There are many races in game but that's generally far less important than where you're from.

You run into a lot of insane racists in pillars who aren't awful people aside from their insane racism, sympathetic colonialists, relatable fascists, etc. Pillars really gets across that humanity(or kith) are complicated and have a lot to process in their heads and make a lot of mistakes and that "evil" comes more from pride and ignorance than a manichean force as evil itself. It's cool imo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Wait, avellone worked on Shadow of Mordor?

"Sexy shelob" is a greater stain on his rep then than anything else mentioned above. Even just by association.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fighting and war are bad but deep down in our animal brains we all want to crush, kill and destroy The Other. It's an inherently appealing idea.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Sexy shelob" is a greater stain on his rep then than anything else mentioned above. Even just by association.

Is Sexy Shelob badly written, or was it just a case of LotR being badly read by her creators?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

No, one of the other writers who left Obsidian he mentions went to work on Shadow of Mordor (which isn't Shadow of War so they may have only been involved in the first game which had no Shelob).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

No, Avellone was talking about John R. Gonzalez, a very good writer according to Avellone and who wrote some good stuff for New Vegas, but according to him also had a really bad working relationship with Eric and was probably one of the reasons Gonzalez left Obsidian and managed to work into big time mainstream developers in Shadow of Mordor and Horizon Zero Dawn

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I could have sworn Gonzalez was the lead writer on new vegas considering all I've heard about him previously was rope kid saying he wrote most of the good stuff in the game and that everyone liked and respected him

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

Don't let bongwizard know.

Every day I light a candle in remembrance of what could have been.

Irl fishing isn’t going too well either, the cold spring has really hosed up the pre-spawn.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

I want to hear bongwizzards opinion on the romance sword, tbh

I am pro-silliness most all of the time.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Of course the biggest shame is the lack of fishing. Every game needs a fishing minigame/sidequest.

It’s really a missed opportunity for the game to reach a wider audience. They already got the nazi grogs and the brokebrained elf-daters onboard, it was madness to not go for the lucrative fishbro market.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zore posted:

No, one of the other writers who left Obsidian he mentions went to work on Shadow of Mordor (which isn't Shadow of War so they may have only been involved in the first game which had no Shelob).

Mordor's writing is also dire though to be fair. Nothing as stupid as Shelob but it's instead just completely boring which might be worse. So Gonzales is 1 for 2 after leaving Obsidian (because yeah HZD is gold).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I finished the White Marches and am now prepared with a save file ready for import. On the ending of WM2: I liked how the conversation was structured and the dialogue flowed pretty naturally, but I'm not sure about having events from throughout the game play such an important role in the outcome. Maybe it just didn't land for me since I made many of the decisions from the main game years ago when I first played it so I didn't remember them all that well. I'd have preferred if everything you need to convince them was contained within the conversation itself, or at the very least within decisions made specifically in the dlcs. I didn't feel the need to "win" the conversation since I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff and actually prefer a naturally messy playthrough, but I did do the conversation a couple times before realizing that there was actually no way for me to win due to the decisions I made.

Also I gave Adra dragon a new bod and I really hope that plays into a cool quest in deadfire.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

bongwizzard posted:

It’s really a missed opportunity for the game to reach a wider audience. They already got the nazi grogs and the brokebrained elf-daters onboard, it was madness to not go for the lucrative fishbro market.

Pillars 3 should be a JRPG so that nobody questions the fishing minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Every day I light a candle in remembrance of what could have been.

Irl fishing isn’t going too well either, the cold spring has really hosed up the pre-spawn.

I am pro-silliness most all of the time.

If there's one thing I'm most happy about the renaissance of big budget Japanese games it's that they never let us down on this front. :colbert:

• Locked thread